This is the Liber Astartes, PART II

Shinzaren

Nice.

I'm going through some pretty bad times right now, so this might be the last snippet I add to the saga for a while:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Reyner, Cambrius, and Dark Apostle Thirst continued down the hall, scanning carefully for signs of typos. They'd been a long way - down to the furthest reaches of the Legio's halls, and were now making the equally arduous return journey.

"Say... do you guys ever get the feeling we've been forgotten about?" Reyner asked, shifting his grip on his modified flamethrower.

"Nope," said Cambrius, scratching his head. "Wait, forgotten by whom?"

"Movement!" Thirst exclaimed,his gaze fixed to his auspex. "Something mis-spelled lurking... by the Space Wolves' door?"

The door in question, not twenty paces away, burst open, and a great, multi-legged, carapace armoured creature scuttled out. But this was no Tyranid - it's armoured plating looked strangely wooden, and the body beneath it seemed composed of a corrupted, gelatinous ichor. The creature darted away from them before Thirst or Reyner could aim their weapons, weaving and ducking under Cambrius' hastily fired bolt pistol round, before leaping high into the vaulted ceilings above them and scuttling away towards the vast docking bay that served the Legio's ships.

Lord Ragnarok and several other Space Wolves bounded out of the door, fearsome looks stamped on their feral faces.

"Where did it go?" Ragnarok bellowed at the three Liberites.

"It's heading for the docking bay. What happened?" Reyner asked.

"That thing destroyed our last barrel of Fenrisian Ale! It's been turned into Fersinian Aile!

There was a moment's silence, as befitting the loss of such a fine beverage, and then as one pack, the Space Wolves turned to head to the docking bay.

"That creature you look to hunt is a typo. It's our responsibility to stop it before it gets off world." Thirst called out. "Let us deal with it."

"Nothing messes with our ale and lives to boast about it," growled Warhorse. There were roars of assent from the massed Wolves, but Lord Ragnarok raised a hand, and they fell silent.

"You've fought them before, then? Very well, Dark Apostle. For one time only, you and your cohorts can run with the pack."

Cambrius and Reyner exchanged looks for a moment. Cambrius hefted his mace with a grin.

"Sounds like fun."

Thirst cracked his knuckles menacingly.

"We cannot allow that typo to leave alive. For the good of not just the Legio, but for the sake of the entire galaxy - let's check some spelling."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I think that last line might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever typed.

I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed.

Nice.

I'm going through some pretty bad times right now

Sorry to hear that, is there anything we can do for you, Ace?

"Say... do you guys ever get the feeling we've been forgotten about?" Reyner asked, shifting his grip on his modified flamethrower.

"Nope," said Cambrius, scratching his head. "Wait, forgotten by whom?"

I'm sorry to hear that, too... :P

I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed.

Proud. Just ask the people who have been following this thread, and who continually ressurect it for such writing ;)

Sorry to hear that, is there anything we can do for you, Ace?

Well, I should be ok. I just might not have time to write any more whimsical tales of spell-checking for a while. ;)

So in the hopes of encouraging others to take up the tale, Reyner's flamethrower (the one with the under-barrel flamethower) has an 'Incineratus' setting that hasn't been used yet... ;)

Our ale is in danger? Burn the planet if needed!

Is this the true Wolf Time we've been waiting for?

As I've said before somewhere, that's when Russ picks up the tab (and finds out how much he owes!) :(

Our ale is in danger? Burn the planet if needed!

Is this the true Wolf Time we've been waiting for?

As I've said before somewhere, that's when Russ picks up the tab (and finds out how much he owes!) :D

Well, we're still building that one.

Typo protects ;)

Surely, you mean "The Spell checker protects!"? :)

He probably does, but I'm keeping my hand on my chainaxe just in case.

And surely the phrasing is 'The Emperor Corrects.... Spelling and Grammar'.

Typo protects :)

Surely, you mean "The Spell checker protects!"? :lol:

He probably does, but I'm keeping my hand on my chainaxe just in case.

And surely the phrasing is 'The Emperor Corrects.... Spelling and Grammar'.

Isn't that why the Emperor created the double secret Ordo Grammaticus? Those brave double secret agent's of the OG venture into the lowly pits of the liber and seek to purge out the typos, and bad spellings. Armed to the teeth with nothing but their wits, and the Eraser MKII mulit-purpose flamer, and a Holy Orb of Bic white-out grenade. The double secret agent know no fear!!

Holy Orb of Bic white-out grenade.

Is that the one that replaced the (now) Heretical T'pex mortar? The one that was as dangerous to friend and foe alike? The evil fumes and it's indiscriminate wiping out of all words both Holy or otherwise?

:)

GHY, try having him come in at the seventh hall. Just a suggestion.

Here is my short story and when I mean short, I mean short.

As Demonus walked the halls of the Liber, he kept his weapon in hand, on the look out for the Typo’s that were rampant in the Liber. He had already dispatched three of them as he walked. His black armor concealed the specks of gore from the warped spawn beats. The spears red black, on the other hand, was covered in the black-purple ichors of blood from the Typo’s, Double Posts and other mutants. He had already passed several other members of the Liber, also on the hunt for Typo’s. For one instance, he had to step back against the wall to avoid being ran over by a maniac driving a Adeptus Astartes bike, with another Marine on the back, waving a flag yelling “Purify them! Purifiers!” Demonus shook his helmed head, which carried the golden laurel of his chapter. Upon his left pauldron, was the symbol of his chapter, the winged shield with a solitary blood droplet upon it. His blue cape fluttered behind him and as he rounded a corner, he had to duck under the clawed hand of a Typo. He cursed “By Dorn’s hammer, this is getting old.” He spun his spear, ramming the blunt end of the spears shaft into the Typos, shattering both tooth and bone before he reversed his grip to behead the Typo. He then dropped a melta bomb on it, making sure the beast was dead. Demonus shook his head and continued his path, till he received the message from Mod Ferrata. He then changed his course and made his way to the seventh hall.

As he approached seventh hall, he recognized the heraldry of a fellow Liber and smiled under his helm. “Zynk Kaladin. Master of the Night Angels. I was wondering if you wine loving whelps would show up for this fight or not.” The Night Angel turned his helm and laughed “You think I would miss this fight? I do not want you ale chugging oafs to have all the glory.” Demonus laughed and stood next to his fellow brother in arms and swatted a Typo back with a swipe of his spear. He also saw Ace and Thirst their as well, as well as the many for of Aquilinus, and the flamer toting Reyner. As he turned his one eyed helm back, he barely had time to block a stab from a Typo before he impaled it upon his spear. He kicked the Typo of and shook his head “No wonder the Liber is so perfected in there ways of war. They have to fight the constant battle of Typos and Double posts. “ Zynk nodded in agreement, his sapphire wings no visible as he fought a four armed Double post. Demonus saw from the corner of his optics a Typo coming from behind Thirst and he threw the spear into the air, reversed his grip and threw the spear, spearing the warp spawn to the wall. Thirst turned, his Chaos Department necklace swinging as he turned. He then looked upon Demonus as he retrieved the weapon and gave a nod “This still doesn’t mean I like you Loyalist.” Demonus shrugged “Still doesn’t mean I like you Traitors either.” With that, he turned and walked, the spears blade glowing due to the activation of its power cell, frying the dried blood off of it.

That’s what I could come up with. Sorry if I misspelled anyone’s name or if I did not include you.

I would like to write something from GHY's perspective as a belated returning member during this crisis, but I'm not sure where to bring him in, I've suggested this before but perhaps someone can suggest a jumping off point for him to enter?

You've been to see the Librarium to renew your loan of an interesting data-slate, and on your way back to the Liber you see a Dark Apostle and two Liberites being swept past amidst a charge of Space Wolves.

Whether you tag along in pursuit of the Typo they seek or just go back to the Liber to find out what the heck is going on (and be surprised by the all-consuming typo-war) is up to you.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to write something from GHY's perspective as a belated returning member during this crisis, but I'm not sure where to bring him in, I've suggested this before but perhaps someone can suggest a jumping off point for him to enter?

What if you finally found your librarium card, and wanted to check out a data slate. And you found that someone had made a counterfeit one, and checked out tons of Dark Angel data slates in your name, and they all were over due. Now you have the debt servitors on your tail, and the Cheif Librarian wants payment or the data slates... Or your head... :HQ:

Its kind of a spin off topic, but there could be the lowly Typos to smash here, and there...

• 1 month later...

The enraged Space Wolves raced down the winding halls after the Typo that had befouled the Wolfwhiz Ale, Maverik spotted a set of ornate doors bearing the title “Reliquary of Lost Codici”. Letting out a warcry, he grabbed WarHorse and told him “Melta that lock!” as soon as the blast hit, several of the Wolves rushed through and immediately saw a welcome sight.

Suddenly the air was alive with the roar of a pair of powerful engines and the cheers and screams of the Sons of Russ. Cheers as the first of the Leman Russ tanks took the doors off their hinges with a blue eyed Shield Maiden at the controls. Maverik, Vassakov and Beef all cheering for Skadi to catch the Abomination. The screams were coming from the other tank, as Warhorse, Hendrick and Jester held on for their lives as the maniacal laughter of Wreck was heard coming from the driver’s seat.

The first tank raced along the flooring with an almost elegant grace, deftly catching up to the racing pack and they quickly and gratefully climbed aboard. Skadi was actually closing on the Razorback driven by Schertenlieb as he could not exploit it’s speed in the cramped hallways. The progress of the second tank could be tracked by the sounds of destruction which preceded it’s arrival.

“Horse, SHOOT HIM!”

“I can’t, I’ll hit the controls!”

“Hey, I’m doing just fine up here, OOPS!”

“Watch out for those banners!”

“Horse, DUCK!”

The next sounds heard were tearing, ripping and several oaths questioning Wreck’s lineage, as Jester tried to help Warhorse get unwrapped from the formerly beautiful banners, which entangled the old Graybeard. Wreck then decided to take a “shortcut” and went ricocheting down a long, curving staircase, causing Acolytes, Servitors and even a Librarian to leap clear to save themselves. As they hit the bottom of the staircase, they met an Assault Cycle head on and crushed it into debris. The only thing that survived, including the driver, was a strange looking banner.

“Hendrick, you ever hear of a Chapter called the Putrifiers?”

“Nope, must be some new guys, probably some more of the Girls from Ultramar!”

Entering a huge amphitheater, several loud crashes were heard from within the tank. Now spinning wildly, Warhorse desperately held on from the turret hatch until the careening tank suddenly straightened out and took off in the direction the other Wolves Comm. Links showed them to be. Glancing into the hull, ‘Horse saw Jester sitting on top of Wreck and the welcome sight of Hendrick at the controls.

“You two get up and grab the sponson controls.”

“I was driving!”

“If that’s what you want to call it.”

“There’s not one of you three that I would let drive this thing.”

“Watch it….”

“Isn’t it time for your nap, Unca Warts?”

“Wolves, this is Gray Hunter Ydalir, do you hear me?”

“We hear you Brother.”

“We’re pinned down between two giant Typos and need ammo! Can you get to us?”

“Give us your location, we are on our way! Hold on until we get there, Brother!”

Hendrick now took the shortest path to their trapped comrades, by the simple expedient of aiming at the least decorated section of wall and driving the mighty tank right through

the building. Crashing past a shower room full of Sororitas, Warhorse yelled “Let me out here!” “Keep your grumpy old carcass in this tank and all of you charge weapons!”

You killed my bike?

You killed my bike.

Damn.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

En route to the Moderati's hall, Ace stopped in his tracks for a moment. Chapter Master Ignis Domus gave him a puzzled look.

"What's up?" Ignis enquired.

Ace grimaced in response, clenching and unclenching his fists compulsively for a few moments before speaking.

"I think my bike just died." Ace said, looking around. "Weird. I thought I'd be angrier."

"Have... have you got a psychic link to your bike or something?"

"Nope. I learned long ago how to identify the sound of a bike being hit by a tank. I think that one was a Leman Russ tank, although the way the sound echoes in here it could have been a terminator squad." He caught Ignis' bewildered expression, and waved a hand dismissively. "That's a story for another time."

"I didn't hear anything." Ignis frowned.

"Were you chanting the Hymn of Purification in your head again?" Ace chuckled. Ignis shrugged.

"I might have been."

"No wonder you didn't hear anything, then. I remember that time we had to go get those scrolls from Belius, and you ignored a grenade bouncing off your head because you were chanting the Hymn of Purification under your breath."

"It's an intense and uplifting litany. Besides, working with you, I need all the morale boosts I can get." Ignis chuckled. Ace rolled his eyes.

"Anyway, I'm going to go see what's left of my bike. You reckon you'll be ok making it to the Moderati's hall?"

"I dare something to stop me. I dare it." Ignis looked up, raising his Purifiers Banner aloft with an expression of noble dignity. It was Ace's turn to look bemused.

"Wait, where did you get that banner?"

"I have a few stashed around the place. In case of emergencies, you know?" Ignis flourished the standard dramatically.

Ace blinked in surprise, then shrugged.

"Good idea, that. I'll vox you if there's anything left to kill when I get there, anyway." Ace set off down a side passage as Ignis acknowledged him with a wave of his new standard.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

As the Wolves' tanks took off after the typo, Dark Apostle Thirst winced at the sounds of wanton destruction echoing down the hall. He might have been a warrior of Chaos and sworn to scourge the galaxy in the name of the Dark Gods, but no moderati enjoys the sound of their own forums being driven through by a tank.

Cambrius, Reyner, and Thirst were walking with several of the other wolves, following the tanks with care, keeping their eyes open for any signs that the typo may have hiden itself away. After an age of careful, stealthy movement through the winding corridors and vast halls of the Legio, Reyner spotted something. Lying on the ground next to the doorway to a store cupboard were discarded tennis balls and rackets, suggesting that some poor serfs had been turned into serves by the rampaging typo.

"Moderati, I think we've got something here."

Ragnarok and Thirst gathered around, with everyone else crowding around behind them. Thirst nodded to Cambrius.

"Open the door on my mark. Reyner, have that flamethrower of yours ready. Alright? Cambrius, open the door."

The door swung back. What should have been a simple store cupboard extended for miles behind the door. There were shelves all the way along the walls, each one lined with glowing spherical objects that exuded a sickly purple light.

"What sorcery is this?" Ragnarok growled. Thirst held up a hand placatingly.

"Nothing to do with me this time, I assure you." He examined the nearest glowing orb, then scanned it with his auspex, which displayed a garbled mess of unreadable sigils and shut down.

"Oh my Gods." Thirst's eyes widened. "It's a nest."

"A nest of what?" Arez asked, in the press of wolves trying to see inside.

"Typos." Thirst said, bewildered. "Everyone step back, now! Not you, Reyner. Stand here."

Reyner stood by the open door as Thirst and Ragnarok shuffled out. The Wolf Lord was not happy about leaving the room.

"We have to destroy that room."

"Agreed, and I think I know the easiest way to do it. Reyner?"

"Moderati?"

"Incineratus setting."

Reyner gulped. "Are you sure, Moderati? It's untested yet, and after using the lower setting..."

"Do it." Thirst nodded.

"Stand back." Reyner advised his brothers, hefting the flamethrower and twisting the dial on the side to Incineratus. There was a rumbling noise. "Stand further back," Reyner added, then took aim down the corridor and pulled the trigger.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I've been waiting since forever for someone to use Reyner's Custom Flamethrower on Incineratus setting. ;)

Since nobody else took the bait, I've had to come up with something myself. B)

Archived