This is the Liber Astartes, PART II

Shinzaren

Sorry I'm late! Trying to work myself in as appropriate to my only occasional and, erm, explosive visits to the Liber. Here's hoping I'm not seen as being too Gary-Stu-ish with those Honor Hold Specials...anyone else want one?

Nah. I've got my Caliver with me, I'll be fine. B)

Calivers be so much more *bad B)* than meltas.

B)

Sorry I'm late! Trying to work myself in as appropriate to my only occasional and, erm, explosive visits to the Liber. Here's hoping I'm not seen as being too Gary-Stu-ish with those Honor Hold Specials...anyone else want one?

Nah. I've got my Caliver with me, I'll be fine. B)

Calivers be so much more *bad B)* than meltas.

B)

I disagree because Calivers can't melt anything to a subatomic level in a matter of seconds, unlike Meltaguns :P I mean give me one of those any day B)

Ludovic

Yep, well, I can reduce flesh to ash without worrying about blowing myself up. So there. B)

I am a weapon, having hand held ones are just a bonus B) B)

*Former Devastator Sergeant Messor raises his hand*

Do like guns, even the exploding ones.

-Raises hand as well after sheathing power sword- Ill take one, my combi-plasma has been acting up.

Note: For continuity reasons, I'm intending this piece to take place shortly before the bit with the fortress in the middle of the corridor.

With the shipping department being quite eager to get on the new Mod's good side, it didn't take long for Sergeant Messor to find out just what was in that strangely-timed shipment and where it was from. He opened a vox channel.

"Erasmus, where are you? I need to speak with you."

"You're speaking with me right now, Sergeant. What do you need?"

"You can either show me where you stashed that weapons shipment you just received or explain to me just what an 'Honor Hold Special' is."

"How did you find out about that? That shipping crew owe me enough favors to keep their silence when I ask them to."

"Haven't you heard the news? I've been inducted into the Moderati."

"Well, then. I guess I'd better just show you."

The slam of Erasmus landing in front of Messor echoed through the hallway. "This way - they're in the Crimson Paladins weapons locker."

As they walked, Erasmus explained. "The Honor Hold Special is an emergency setting for plasma weaponry. We're not the first to come up with it, but we're the first to use it significantly. Plasma weaponry isn't easy to make, so we don't use it all the time, but still more than most others with access to the tech. It's basically a detonator. It turns whatever plasma device you have it on into an impressive explosive. The size of the device limits the weapon's power cells, though, so they aren't as useful for longer campaigns unless you plan on replacing the plasma core frequently or detonating it soon. Still, they're useful enough. I figured some people around here might appreciate them, and given Ferrata's plan to deal with these Typo demons, they arrived none too soon."

When they arrived at the barracks, they found Chapter Master Demon7 mashing the buttons on the door's lock with his finger, muttering about shipments.

"So you're here for the plasma as well, Chapter Master?" inquired Erasmus.

Demon7 jumped, having been so focused on his task that he had not noticed the approaching Marines. "What?! Oh. Yes. My combi-plasma has been having issues recently, and I was hoping to take advantage of the sidearms that just arrived until I can head back to Epsonri to have it repaired."

Erasmus chuckled. "Here, let me get that for you." He stepped up to the locking mechanism, punched in the correct unlocking code, and stepped inside. This being a Space Marine barracks, there were no proper beds, only mats for the nightly meditation-sleep and rows upon rows of weapons lockers. While these would have been for individual Marines at a Chapter's Fortress-Monastery, here they were each for a different Chapter's representative at the Legio. Erasmus removed his glove, pricking his finger on the locker's handle to provide the genetic sample that would unlock it to a member of that Chapter. Barely opening the locker, Erasmus reached inside and produced a plasma pistol and a plasma gun; after handing these to Chapter Master Demonus and Messor, respectively, he quickly closed the locker, which latched itself automatically. Messor and Demonus glanced at each other over this unusually secretive behavior, but dismissed it and walked out of the barracks separately. Erasmus, on the other hand, watched them leave, quietly thanked the Crimson Queen that he had not been found out, and jumped back up to the ceiling.

@Ace...I can think of two Wolves who would give you a cave in. Just don't ask how and don't ask what the noise is. And mines a Mjod when we're back. Arez can get his own.

If you expect a lot of resistance then Nrth 'Ironchin', Postal and Skadi could come too. Maybe even a grey or too but they spoil the fun and would hold us back.

@ Erasmus of Baal:

Very nice piece you have written.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Demonus left Erasmus upon getting his new sidearm, he walked towards the Eighth hall were everyone was building the fortress. But he knew that the Typo war was not going good in their favor. Even with all the accomplishments they have had over the Typos, they were still gaining ground faster than the Liber could gain and hold. He had ordered several of his chapter to assist the serfs in moving the data slates so the Typos could not pervert them with their foul ways. Demonus looked around from behind his golden death mask as he listened for the sound of construction but he only heard silence. As he turned the corner, he saw the reason behind the eerie silence. "Moderati.." spoke Demonus as he walked up and stood over to the side, watching the new Mods.

@Ace...I can think of two Wolves who would give you a cave in. Just don't ask how and don't ask what the noise is. And mines a Mjod when we're back. Arez can get his own.

If you expect a lot of resistance then Nrth 'Ironchin', Postal and Skadi could come too. Maybe even a grey or too but they spoil the fun and would hold us back.

:lol:

Forte, I don't wanna alarm you but you might be psychic.

Consider your suggestion taken. ^_^

-=-= Part 2: Wolfpack =-=-

Lord Ragnarok hesitated, which was unusual for him. He'd already made his choice as to which wolves needed an hour or two out of the tavern - the pack he mentally labelled 'the usual suspects - but perhaps considering the nature of the explosives being handed out, a few cooler heads might be a wise addition to the pack.

"Warhorse," He therefore bellowed, "I've got a job for you."

"Is it to drink more?" Warhorse replied, chugging half the contents of a large tankard in one swig. Ragnarok frowned.

"Nope. You've gotta go blow something up under the Liber."

"By Russ!" Warhorse looked astonished. "What did they do, refuse to loan you a book?"

"Something like that. Take Arez, Forte, Ironchin, Postal and Skadi with you. It's a walking job though, I'm not having a repeat of that 'bet we can get a rhino up these stairs' incident two weeks ago." Ragnarok scratched his chin for a moment. "Better take Jonas with you too; he started this mission in the Liber, and it makes sense for him to finish it."

"Fine," Warhorse sighed. "I'll go get the others, and we'll get this over and done with."

An hour later, seven semi-drunk Wolves staggered through the maze of dank corridors that made up the lower levels of the Liber's storage facilities, Jonas and Postal carrying a smallish crate behind them. The crate held the explosives, and Lord Ragnarok had talked at length about how under no circumstances the crate was to be jostled, banged, dropped, or even nudged, on account of the bombs in question being very unstable.

"Hey," Arez said, pointing at a large, arched doorway. "Didn't we go past this door five minutes ago?"

"Dunno," Forte admitted, peering at the closely-worded inscriptions. They were in a language that was neither Fenrisian nor High Gothic, and he couldn't make heads nor tails of them. "Might have."

"Nah," Skadi said sagely, waving a hand dismissively at the door. "That's a sort of bronze, and the door you're thinking of was definitely more coppery."

"I thought it was more sort of brass coloured," Nrth added, scratching at his beard. "Anyone got any more ale on them? "

"Hold on, hold on." Warhorse pushed his way to the front and gave the door a quick examination. "Got an idea." He pushed the door open with some difficulty, the door scraping against the bare stone behind it. Inside was a dimly lit chamber, covered in decorations, campaign badges, banners from long-ago wars and a smell. It smelled of oil and electricity, mixed with stale air. At the back of the room, lit only by three flickering lanterns, was a Dreadnought.

"Definitely haven't been here before," Skadi said, looking arond the room. "Told you it was a different door."

"But we didn't open the other door," Arez complained.

"Quiet a minute," Warhorse said. "There's writing on this stone - let's see what it says."

Jonas and Postal put the crate down carefully and gathered around with the others as Warhorse read the inscription.

"Here stands the Relentless Might of the Liber.

Watcher, ever patient, Lurker in the Dark Times.

He whose Wrath falls like Comets on the Unwary.

He who makes ashes of Misguided Scribes.

Here stands Apothete."

There was a moment of august silence, befitting of the rediscovery of an ancient legend.

"Who?" Forte said, wrinkling his nose. "What does all that even mean?"

"You got me there," Warhorse shrugged. "Let's just keep moving, shall we? Pretty sure they didn't want us to blow up a dreadnought."

"There's a lever here," Nrth said, peering at a long lever by the doorway. "Should I pull it, see if it puts the lights on?"

"Best not to," Jonas replied. "We're almost out of here anyway."

History doesn't remember who pulled the lever. It may have been either Arez or Forte, who, in the moment's boredom between Warhorse reading the inscription and reaching the door, had gone back to their usual occupation of brawling with each other. It might have been Skadi, who first attempted to break up the brawl and then joined in wholeheartedly after a badly timed 'you punch like a maiden' remark. It might have been Nrth, Postal, or even Warhorse, dragged into the fray. All that can be said for certain is that six out of seven wolves were brawling, and Jonas noticed the switch hadn't activated the lights.

There was a faint humming noise as a turbine behind the dreadnought Apothete ground into life. There was a crackle of sparks, and the grinding of a dozen chains as they lifted the dreadnought, carried him forward and deposited him with a boom on the floor before the suddenly-still Space Wolves. There was a further crackle of energy, the sound of an engine growling into life, and a deafening roar.

"What time do you call this?" Apothete demanded. "It's barely been two ye-" The dreadnought leaned closer to the still life of brawling Wolves. "Who in the Emperor's name are you?"

"Oops, sorry big man." Warhorse grinned apologetically. "Ferrata got Lord Rags to send us to plant a bomb under Hall Eight, and I think we took a wrong turn."

"Hall Eight is on the other side of the Liber." Apothete rumbled. "Why a bomb under Hall Eight?"

"Then we took a few wrong turns." Warhorse shrugged. "If you point us in the right way I'll come back and tell you about it later."

"I shall guide you." Apothete boomed. "The Liber has many hidden pathways, but none are closed to me. In return, tell me what you know of why Ferrata wants to blow up Hall Eight."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Sorry about the wait guys.

Again I'm gonna apologize in advance for contradictions - 'cause they are coming up fast in the next couple of stories - particularly the exact location of our new Mods.

Don't worry though, I can get them back to Reyner's Wall by the end of it, so your stories will still fit, the order'll just be mixed up.

Oh Emperor, my head hurts. -_- Reasoning through that was tricky.

I'd really like to spoil all the details and spill the beans on what's gonna happen next, 'cause I know it's gonna need C&C, but for the sake of the story I'm gonna have to leave it for now. ;)

If anyone in the Wolfpack story wants altered lines or has any other C&C, sock it to me.

Sorry for the double post, but I figured this time two would be better than one.

I'm gonna need some help here.

The next parts of the story will be as follows:

A group of Astartes at Reyner's Fort are recruited to deliver one of the bombs to a storage room on one side of Hall Eight.

Another group of Astartes have to get to KHK and Grey Hunter Ydalir in Hall Nine (down a side-corridor), and get them to help plant another bomb on the opposite side of Hall Eight.

I dunno who should be in which team for this one. ;)

So, basically.... volunteers for either kill-team would be appreciated! -_-

Sorry for the double post, but I figured this time two would be better than one.

I'm gonna need some help here.

The next parts of the story will be as follows:

A group of Astartes at Reyner's Fort are recruited to deliver one of the bombs to a storage room on one side of Hall Eight.

Another group of Astartes have to get to KHK and Grey Hunter Ydalir in Hall Nine (down a side-corridor), and get them to help plant another bomb on the opposite side of Hall Eight.

I dunno who should be in which team for this one. ;)

So, basically.... volunteers for either kill-team would be appreciated! ^_^

Put me down for either :lol:

Regarding the last post - the Wolves are sent by Lord Rags to plant explosives, but when asked what they are doing by Apothete they state that Ferrata sent them. I may have misread it though.

Regarding the mismatch of where people are, I suppose that the high concentration of Typo Daemons is warping reality to an extent that even continuity is not safe -_-

Cambrius volunteers to help plant some delightful explosives. I was wondering if Apothete would emerge, as I thought the exact same idea in how to end the Typo Wars saga many moons ago. :) All fear the stompy legend that is Apothete!

...I wonder if Atticus Rage will make another appearance as with everything that's happened in the Liber, it does appear to be the end times. :P

Cambrius

Put me down for either

Regarding the last post - the Wolves are sent by Lord Rags to plant explosives, but when asked what they are doing by Apothete they state that Ferrata sent them. I may have misread it though.

Regarding the mismatch of where people are, I suppose that the high concentration of Typo Daemons is warping reality to an extent that even continuity is not safe

Anyone who believes anything they read in 40k and especially in the Liber is a fool. :P

On another note, I've fixed the error, and you'll be taking charge of the team setting off from Reyner's fort, 'cause you were the first to reply.

Unless there's plans ahead, I'll stick my hand up for a team. Doesn't matter which one, but I volunteer. Why not live up to my Mod name, eh?

Sorry squire, but there's plans afoot for you and Messor. ;)

Like I said before, I'm about to contradict the :cuss out of where you guys are in the story. :lol:

Cambrius volunteers to help plant some delightful explosives. I was wondering if Apothete would emerge, as I thought the exact same idea in how to end the Typo Wars saga many moons ago. All fear the stompy legend that is Apothete!

...I wonder if Atticus Rage will make another appearance as with everything that's happened in the Liber, it does appear to be the end times.

Cambrius

I figured Apothete would take no guff from typos, and I'm sure the Wolves would agree there is no kill like overkill.

As for Atticus... I dunno yet. Still ironing out details in my head and hoping like hell I don't stuff the whole story up. ^_^

Cambrius, you'll be spearheading the 'get to KHK, GHY and the rest' operation, since you were the second non-moderati on the reply list. (Sorry again Olis, but I'm fairly sure this'll pay off well later)

Brother Erasmus is loaded for bear and if not assigned to a particular squad will probably just follow one or the other and add some extra "boom". :)

Extra boom duly noted - you'll be going with Aquilanus, and taking some of them exploding plasma guns along too, I should think. ^_^

I'm off to see some relatives in a few minutes, so I won't be writing up the next part of the story today.

On the other hand, that means more time for volunteers if anyone else wants to get involved. :D

Unless there's plans ahead, I'll stick my hand up for a team. Doesn't matter which one, but I volunteer. Why not live up to my Mod name, eh?

Sorry squire, but there's plans afoot for you and Messor. ;)

Like I said before, I'm about to contradict the ^_^ out of where you guys are in the story. :lol:

Fair enough. I'll wait and see what happens. :)

I will lead the kill team to plant the bomb, the new geneseed may have made me bitter and twisted but I suddenly have an affinity with building things and blowing them to pieces!

Oh and if anyone breaks my fort. I will kill them. I need to test my power fist anyways.

If Olisredan is not available to show the wrath of the Moderati, then I am

Fair point, I'm sure the Heresy Dept. can conjure up something diabolical to help the mission along. -_-

Explosives, KHK and GHY? Oh yes! Count me in, Ace

OK, you'll be with Cambrius then. ^_^

I'm good where ever the thickest of the fighting is. With my lightning claw, and infernus pistol I will make sure those blasted Typos leave in ash or in ribbons. I could even loan my Caestus assault ram to the cause.

Where did you even get a Caestus...? ^_^

Sorry, DK2K, but the Assault Ram won't exactly fit in the corridors, and the plan involves keeping the attack fairly low-key. So, you'll be hot-footing it with Ludo and Cambrius.

Fair enough. I'll wait and see what happens. :)

Urge to spoiler my own story.... really strong... ;)

I'll write the next part tomorrow, time willing. You and Messor are likely to only feature from part 5 onwards, but the sooner I get part 3 written the better.

I will lead the kill team to plant the bomb, the new geneseed may have made me bitter and twisted but I suddenly have an affinity with building things and blowing them to pieces!

Aaaaactually I'm gonna need you to hold the fort. Again, plans within plans and wheels within wheels.

Don't worry, that won't mean you missing out on the action. ;)

Again, plans within plans and wheels within wheels.

Insert obligatory [x]ception joke here. Just more time to make the walls taller and thicker. As long as we don't go cask-of-amontillado on anyone, I'm content to chill at the fort with Reyner til my number's up.

As long as we don't go cask-of-amontillado on anyone, I'm content to chill at the fort with Reyne til my number's up.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4128/5208221285_32254de7c4.jpg

They're everywhere!

As long as we don't go cask-of-amontillado on anyone, I'm content to chill at the fort with Reyne til my number's up.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4128/5208221285_32254de7c4.jpg

They're everywhere!

Cleanse! Purge! Kill!

Archived