Deathless

Dark Apostle Thirst

EDIT - editing based on the C&C I got back.

A strike cruiser that was unmarked and unpainted, floated through the madness of the Eye of Terror. It moved around those who might have seen it, until it reached it's destination, a battle-barge, one bearing markings of Tzeentch. the strike cruiser moved close enough for a thunderhawk to be launched to the battle barge, and it waited. It did not expect to be there long.

The hangar was open. The thunderhawk descended, and three passengers disembarked. They were greeted by a human, who appeared to have his entire body flickering, as though he wasn't really there, but left white footprints where he walked.

"Welcome, honoured representatives of the Wraiths of Darkness," the man said with a slight sneer, "Lords Zeenthar is expecting you."

---

Comniar was wary. The Librarian and his apprentice were focused on mantaining a private psychic shield around them all, and was too used to the madness of Chaos and it's effects on their customers regardless. Nothing fazed the Librarian, but then the Librarian had outlived two leaders of the Summonings, and now Comniar wondered if he would outlive a third. Comniar shook his head. He had just been given command of the Wraiths of Darkness, and unless he died very quickly it was unlikely Elsanur would outlive him.

This entire place was saturated with the Tzeentchian side of Chaos, though, and that meant lies and manipulations were to be expected. They had more manpower in psykers than some of the smaller warbands had in rank and file. Their reputation could only get them so far in the means of psychological protection.

"Focus on their leader," Grather had taught him, "and ignore their lieutenants unless the leader has given you reason to address them."

The bridge doors opened. Comniar walked through and approached the monstrous creature that occupied the center of the room. It had three heads, and as it turned to address Comniar the left head stopped talikng with the center one. All three of them studied the Wraiths of Darkness for a moment.

"What do you request of the Wraiths of Darkness?"

Comniar knew his voice was clear and solid. It didn't matter much. The daemon prince probably had ideas of his psyche and how to manipulate him before he even arrived.

The head to the right spoke. "We request nothing. We apparently can't agree on what we want." The head shot the left and center heads a look as he said this.

"A force that can be used to take a Black Ship, Wraith" the center head sneered.

Comniar turned to each head as it spoke. "What is the payment you offer?"

"A Vindicator, 9 tons of ammunition for it's unsubtle cannon and pick of the wargear there for a supplementary force, delivered when we have taken the Black Ship" The head to the left seemed slightly nervous as it stated the payment, as though it might be too little.

Comniar turned again. "Your forces will not be necessary. The Black ship will come to you."

"Do not kill those poor prisoners, Wraith," The center head commented, "we would prefer to have a few... converts."

"Additional payment will be required for these terms." Comniar began to get annoyed at the heads speaking seperately. It was distracting.

"A few kilos of fuel as well then" snapped the left head.

"Is there anything else you request of the Wraiths?"

"That I oversee this task." A sorcerour spoke, and Comniar waited for a head to nod before turning to him.

"As you wish. Librarian Elsanur will show you where you will stay while traveling with us. Is our busness concluded?"

"It is, Wraith" It was the head on the right who confirmed it.

"It will be done in a month"

With that final comment, Comniar turned and left the bridge.

"Summoner!"

Comniar turned to the sorcerour on the viewscreen. The sorcerour had armour that was silver, with blue trim, standing out fairly well against the muted tones that the interiour of the Wraith's strike cruiser was painted in. He would not be mistaken as an outsider, Comniar thought.

"What do you require, servant of Tzeentch?"

The sorcerour was angry. "First, I am no servant. I am Regulirai, and I follow Tzeentch because it suits my purposes. Second, I was sent to join you so that I could observe this mission. I am unable to observe the mission if you keep me in a room surrounded by anti-sorcerous wards."

"There has been nothing to observe." This was true. The Wraiths of Darkness had come to this point and waited for a Black Ship to come. One of the methods first discovered by the Wraiths to remain undetected was to follow the paths used by the Black Ships of the Inquisition themselves. On the off chance that they were unable to avoid the Black Ships, whose schedules were well known by the ship's navigators, they had no chaotic psychic signature, and were ignored by whatever arcane methods the Inquisition used to detect traitorous forces.

"Regardless," Regulirai snapped, "I will not be kept a prisoner. I am the envoy of your employer, and I can report this mission a failure, regardless of what you bring to Zeenthar."

Comniar considered this. Failure was never an option among the Wraiths. If they lost their reputation, they would lose their protection, and they would lose their lives. Tzeentch would certainly be amused.

"You may come to the bridge, Regulirai, if you can contain your Chaotic influence and yourself. You may prove the first when you have shown me the second."

The vox was silent for a moment. In a calmer voice, Regularai slowly replied, "Very well."

Surprised, Comniar switched the vox to Librarian Elsanur's channel. "Remove the wards around the sorcerour's cell on my command."

"You would trust a servant of Tzeentch?"

"It is necessary. This one still has his sanity."

"That just makes him more dangerous."

"Librarian..." Comniar hesitated. "I gave you an order."

"Awaiting your command, Summoner." Despite the coldness that now filled Elsanur's voice, Comniar detected a note of respect. He would explain the situation to the Librarian later, but he it was necessary to remind the Librarian that he was subordinate now, while he was getting used to Comniar being the Summoner.

Comniar switched the vox back to Regulirai. "Are you willing to respect me as Summoner?"

"I am." There was no hint of patronization in the sorcerours tone, no emotion save for... understanding? Interesting, thought Comniar.

Comniar switched the vox to the Librarian, and said "Elsanur, remove the wards" before switching to the sorcerour again.

"You may now prove the second, sorcerour. Come to the bridge."

The sorcerour had armour that was bright blue

It's actually silver, with blue and yellow trim, sorry for pointing that out :)

Otherwise, great work :)

Ludovic

Edit: Oh, and you write it "Sorceror", not "Sorcerour" :)

Merry Christmas! Ludovic, this is my gift to you...

I was rereading my post and realised it contradicted itself in the first paragraph, and fixed that ;) Also, sorcerour can be spelt either way, although if there is an issue I will stop after I write this story, so that there isn't an inconsistency in the story :P Now back to said story...

------

"Why are we here, Summoner?"

Comniar sighed inwardly. He had been expecting this. All the envoys wanted to know why, and Comniar could never tell them.

"Because I have chosen for us to be here."

This angered the sorcerour, again as Comniar expected. As Grather's chosen successor he had seen these things happen many times. Comniar would have to begin training a successor soon, but it wouldn't be necessary until Elsanur and the other veterans started advising him about it. Grather's death was still fresh on everyone's mind, however, and Comniar expected some peace.

"Well, then, it seems that-"

Comniar raised a hand to silence Regulirai. The Black Ship would arrive soon, if it was on usual schedule. Regulirai did not know this, and it would be necessary to placate him for the time being.

"What it seem is irrevalent. You are here to see the mission has the results your master wants. I am here to fulfil the mission. How it is done is not your concern."

Comniar gestured for the sorcerour to watch the viewscreen, that was displaying apparently empty space. Elsanur sent him a psychic nudge, telling him that a rift was opening, right on schedule.

"I am a Summoner of the Wraiths of Darkness. Do not doubt my methods, for it is often I summon my prey to me."

Comniar snapped his fingers, and the Black Ship appeared in realspace. It was a show, of course, and Comniar would not have know if he had not mentally felt Elsanur's psychic nudge alongside Gather's for the past thirty years. The muscle memory was strong, it having been one of the most stressed on lesson that Gather had taught him - avoid alerting the Inquisition of the Wraith's warp route knowledge.

Still, the sorcerour was suitably impresed, although he probably had doubts.

"I do not need Chaos to give me power," Comniar continued, "I have power enough."

At this Regulirai smiled. "Yes, Summoner, but you will never be deathless."

So far, this is one of the best stories I've seen in this part of the forum in recent times. It's starting to inspire me to begin writing my own stories, and I hope to see more from you soon.

Thank you, Bleak, I'm a bit surprised as my first attempt at writing here... were not so good :D I'm glad to see that I have improved, entertained, and inspired. Now I need to deflate my head a bit... :pinch:

Well, Dark Apostle, I appreciate the gift. A very good one too, so no need to stop writing! :)

Belated merry Christmas to you too, I hope you enjoyed it!

Ludovic

Thank you as well, Ludovic :)

Sorry I haven't been updating this for the past week, I've been spending time with my family for the holidays, and got back home yesterday. I'll start updating again B)

-----

Comniar pondered the sorcerour's words for a moment. Deathless. Few would know even the name of Comniar. Chaos offered eternal life, and the chance to make your name feared across the galaxy.

The Wraiths had the latter, and were fighting for the first, but Comniar himself was simply a part of them. He knew that he would not gain the benefits from the Wraiths of Darkness eventual triumph, if they were successful at all. The best Comniar could hope for was that he was remembered as one of those who had fought and died for the possibility of the Wraiths of Darkness surviving the war raging around them, just as Grather had, and Elsanur would.

The alternative was Chaos.

Comniar had seen what happened to the followers of Chaos. They lost their sanity, or their senses. They became filled with pointless bloodlust or the drive for pain and pleasure. Chaos offered him the chance to become immortal at the cost of his will being shaped by the Dark Gods, who were selfish beings that cared only for their own petty amusement. Chaos offered him nothing.

It was an old reassurance, that had gone through Comniar's head many, many times throughout his years. He took comfort from it again, and kept his composure before Regulirai as he had before many others. It was a pity that the sorcerour would never understand.

"I have no need of immortality. I am a Wraith of Darkness. It is enough that I am effectively untouchable, and when I do die, it will be my own failing, as opposed to the amusement of Chaos."

Regulirai smiled. "That was not what I meant when I said you will not be deathless."

Comniar was momentarily wrongfooted. What was the sorcerour talking about then?

Regulirai gestured towards the viewscreen. "We have a Black Ship to catch, Summoner."

Comniar narrowed his eyes, but nodded. He took his Mk. 4 helmet and donned it, turning the vox to the squads he had selected earlier, already in their drop pods and thunderhawks respectively. "All squads, prepare to launch on my mark." Turning the vox to Elsanur and the astarte bridge crew, Comniar ordered "Engage and cripple the Black Ship."

---

Inquisitor Mikrail was surprised to see a strike cruiser as the Black Ship had entered realspace. It had no markings, either, and that made it difficult to identify which chapter it belonged to for future interroagation, as to how they got the location of the Inquisition's secret warp routes, which were well masked by their small size.

"Savant, can you identify the strike cruiser?"

The savant turned to Mikrail. "I would be able to, but I am rather distracted by the navigator's heart stopping approximately 2.803 seconds ago."

"Fething renegades," Mikrail thought, "how did they mask their Chaotic nature?" That wasn't the issue, though, now it was the fact that the astropaths were probably dieing as well and that meant no communication. This was confirmed by the ship's alarm that the machinery sustaining the astropathic choir had suddenly failed.

This meant they were here for the psykers onboard, if they weren't simply destroying the Black Ship.

Inquisitor Mikrail activated his vox-bionics built into his thumb. "All crew, prepare to repel Astartes boarders!"

Thank you as well, Ludovic :D

Sorry I haven't been updating this for the past week, I've been spending time with my family for the holidays, and got back home yesterday. I'll start updating again :D

No worries, take your time :)

And I'm enjoying this next part, you've got me hooked :D

Ludovic

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you as well, Ludovic :)

Sorry I haven't been updating this for the past week, I've been spending time with my family for the holidays, and got back home yesterday. I'll start updating again :P

No worries, take your time :)

And I'm enjoying this next part, you've got me hooked B)

Ludovic

Apoligies to one and all, there has been little time to do this and thus I have been found lacking in the means of updates. But fear not, gentle fraters, I have spare time once more!

So, mods, fraters and Librarians alike, lend me your ears, for this tale does continue... Don't worry, I won't let Shakespearan prose affect it :)

----------------

EDIT: Moved down to avoid confusion.

Wait... I didn't think I had posted that... I thought the computer had turned off... I wasn't done with the update! Ah well, half an update is better than the lack of updates I've had for a couple weeks.

Thank you, Nacho, for the kind words.

EDIT: I'll cut the stuff up there and finish what I had intended... In the next post.

Comniar turned to Regularai.

"Sorcerour, for the duration of combat, you'll be joining my squad. Follow me."

Comniar was fairly sure that the sorcerour wouldn't protest against this. It would enable him to request for mission updates from a reliable source, as well as allowing Comniar to keep him under his eye as necessary. So it was as soon as he gave his command Comniar turned to exit the bridge, and the sorcerour followed him.

Elsanur's rune showed up on his vision, along with the squads Comniar had ordered participate in the assault. Seeing this, he voxed Elsanur.

"Any difficulties in removing the ship's defenses?"

"No, Summoner. The vital components of the shield generators and weapon batteries were disconnected, and the Navigator, astropthic choir and their secondaries have entered temporary comas."

"What of the Inquisitor, and theanti-boarding defences?"

"A typical stormtrooper contingent, with an older Inquisitor than most. Psychic read identifies him as Inquisitour Mikrail, information will be sent as soon as the 4th's computer pulls up the file. "

"Report then, Librarian."

Marking the distance to the Command squad's drop pod, Comniar began voxing commands to the already launched squads, setting up a defensive line and securing areas for the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers to assault and so destroy themselves. Thus would be the first stage of the mission, before pressing on and claiming larger areas of the Black Ship. Idly, Comniar made some mental calculations and predicted first phase would take fifteen to twenty-five minutes, depending on the speed of the counter-attack.

Elsanur's vox channel opened again.

"Summoner, I've detected another force on board the Black Ship."

Comniar was momentarily annoyed. Why didn't the Librarian simply tell him what it was?

Setting his annoyance aside, Comniar voxed back "Threat level?"

"Threat level Grey"

Now Comniar was even more annoyed, but bit it back. Threat level Grey was named for the Grey Knights, which was a serious threat to phase one. The defenses of the Wraiths could easily withstand any mortal infantry attack, but even though any anti-chaotic powers were useless against Comniar's force the Grey Knights could sweep through the rank and file that composed most of the force.

"How large of a force? Where are they headed towards on the Black Ship?"

"There are at least two squads of ten. I'll upload their location onto the battlenet."

Comniar switched the vox to all channels, "All squads, be aware, there is a small Grey Knight force. Execute the wounded"

Comniar reached the drop pod waiting for their location upload. His squad, seven strong and all but two excelled at the assault, were locked in when he arrived. Comniar locked himself in, still regulating orders, waiting for any signs of the Grey Knights. No contact with them on deck yet. The file on Inquisitor Mikrail blinked onto Comniar's vision, containing relevant combat data. Left arm, right hand and most of torso bionic, along with head augmetics that allowed him to read incoming information and command battle as well as any astartes commander, including Comniar himself. Probably better, considering how long the battlenet was taking to relay the Grey Knight's location.

Comniar switched the vox to Elsanur's location as he realised this. "Librarian, what's the delay with the Grey Knight's location?"

"The same warp signature's appear to be in different places at once, Summoner, as though they are moving... rapidly..."

"As though they are teleporting?"

"Yes, Summoner."

Tactical dreadnought armour had many uses indeed. Comniar motioned for the squad's sergeant to hold off from firing the drop pod, they would need to counter this threat themselves. However, it seemed that the only way to ensure they would actually get into contact with them was if the Grey Knights actually committed themselves to a fight. Elsanur would now the moment that happened, but they might not have enough time to attack the Grey Knights before they killed the boarders and teleported again. Unless...

"Sorcerour."

Regulirai looked up, startled. He had grown used to the vox clicking in the Summoner's helm, not expecting to be addressed while Comniar was coordinating a battle.

"Yes?"

"There are Grey Knights aboard the Black Ship, teleporting incessantly. Shut their movement down if you want the daemon prince's terms fulfilled."

The sorcerour nodded in acknowledgement, and his helmet's horns began to writhe. Comniar's worry over the Grey Knight's anti-sorcerous wards lessened as he watched Regulirai's hands form complex symbols while his mouth muttered daemonic words. After a few minutes, the sorcerour slumped, and Elsanur's vox clicked again.

"Movement locked, Summoner. Uploading now."

Four seconds later, two red dots appeard on deck three, and began moving towards the nearest boarders.

Comniar turned to address the squad's sergeant. "Launch us toward deck three, near Arkvi squad."

Thirteen seconds later, the drop pod was fired.

I hate to point this out...but Black Ships are rumoured to be defended by the Sisters of Silence and not the Grey Knights... though again, it's your story so I won't butt in too much :rolleyes:

Ludovic

Edit: Sisters of Silence (link)

Oops... assumption fail. My bad, I didn't think Sisters of Silence existed after the Heresy, hadn't read any fluff on them at all post heresy, so I assumed Grey Knights would defend them instead.

Oooh I like this it's very cool indeed.

So, just to clear this up, are they a mercenary band of Astartes renegades?

They are Wraiths of Darkness... Mercenaries would be the best word for them, yes, but they only do the mercenary job because if they are seen as the inescapable hunters, no one will try and hunt them.

I'll post a link to the Index Traitorous.

And thank you all, for merely posting, it shows you care about how this story is running and that gives me a reason to write.

Thirst

Awesome writing, keep it up!

And, just because TECHNICALLY the Sisters of Silence defend the Black Ships, have it so there is a very important psyker on board that the Grey Knights feel could be the savior of the Imperium or something like that, and therefore they accompanied the Black Ship with the Sisters of Silence.

But that's just me ranting and trying to twist everything.

Oops... assumption fail. My bad, I didn't think Sisters of Silence existed after the Heresy, hadn't read any fluff on them at all post heresy, so I assumed Grey Knights would defend them instead.

No worries ;) If you want to continue with the GK's, I don't mind that much. And fluff nuts won't m9ind either because it's not proven that the Sisters of Silence even exist. :D

Looking forward to the next update!

Ludovic

No worries ;) If you want to continue with the GK's, I don't mind that much. And fluff nuts won't m9ind either because it's not proven that the Sisters of Silence even exist. ^_^

I MIND!

Nah, it's cool ;)

Though I seem to remember a story in Bringers of Death that they just had elite guards in black with mirrored helms. But you could explain it with them being especially powerful psykers that therefore needed extra protection.

The void.

Comniar felt only the inertia of the drop pod pulling at him. No weapon fire. It was a relief, even if it was expected, few warriors enjoyed the chance of death when helpless and Comniar was not one of them.

Comniar briefly wondered if the sorcerour might. Would he prefer to die by simple chance so as to deny that he had died by being out-schemed? The Summoner glanced at the vital signs Regulirai, visible now that he had connected himself to the battlenet and Comniar's command squad frequency. The effort of stopping the Grey Knight's movement had drained him, but he was recovering quickly.

The sergeant's voice cut through Comniar's thoughts. "Ten seconds to impact."

Grey Knights. In Terminator armour. Overwhelming firepower would be needed to stop them, more than the power weapons and storm shields of his squad.

"Five seconds to impact."

The Summoner checked the battlenet one last time. Arkvi squad was closest to the Grey Knight's most threatening squad, and would be under threat from them soon.

A jolt as the thrusters kicked in at the last second, slowing the drop pod to latch on near Arkvi's drop pod. A melta flared, and soon the hatch opened up. In a few short seconds, the drop pod was empty.

Comniar immediately appraised the situation - Arkvi squad stood behind a barricade, bolters ready, the Grey Knights only a few seconds from entering the only entrance to the room not guarded by more Wraiths according to the battlenet. The bodies of a few failed counter-attacks by the Inquisition's storm-troopers littered the ground, providing little benefit with the time they had. Time...

Nearest squad, barring Arkvi - Elsoun, a tactical squad. "Squad Elsoun, move on my position ASAP."

Comniar turned to the sorcerour. "Are you able to fight?"

"Of course." There was no doubt in the voice, even a little smirk... As the Grey Knights entered the chamber, the Summoner realised it wasn't the time. Time...

"Arkvi, Elsoun, hold fire until my mark. Command, shields forward." The command squad's assault veterans put their storm shields to the fore, just before the Grey Knights opened fire with their stormbolters. "Command - survival pattern charge"

It was suicidal to be in protracted combat with the Grey Knights, but Comniar hoped that Elsoun wouldn't make that necessary.

And so the command squad, and the sorcerour, charged forwards.

The Grey Knights weren't expecting that, and so did what any devout servant of the Emperor would do - they charged back. Seconds later, the impact knocked both forces back a step, but that merely gave the Grey Knights more room to swing their force-glaives.

"Defensive stances" The command sergeant calmly ordered. The squad slid into said stances, and a dance began, the Grey Knights swinging their blades and the command squad bringing their shields to bear against the multiple threats. It soon became one on one for the squad members, however, as the Grey Knights began to focus their efforts on the apparently untouchable sorcerour - the attacks made against him simply missed, even though he barely moved.

"This is what I mean by being deathless, Summoner," the sorcerour chuckled, "when the gods have shown you their plans for their glory and their promises to keep you alive to fulfill them"

Comniar swore under his breath. The sorcerour was insane. And unkillable, apparently.

The warrior next to Comniar died, interrupting any thoughts on the matter. That was the third life-rune to blink out, despite the formidable defenses of the Storm Shields.

Comniar's vox crackled. "Thirty seconds" came sergeant Elsoun's voice.

Time to create a distraction, then. Comniar bounced his storm shield off the helmet of the Justicar, thrust his power sword through a control bundle in the Terminator's side and ripped the krak grenade from his belt. Activating the grenade's maglock shortly before the trigger was dangerous, but well worth it when it attached itself to the leg of an unsuspecting Grey Knight. A short second later Comniar was rewarded with a roar of pain, and the Grey Knights as a squad stepping back for another charge. The Summoner decided it was time.

"Command, rolling retreat."

A rolling retreat was exactly that - the squad tucked their storm shields close to them and rolled backwards. When the sprang up again, their storm shields protected their backs as they ran back to Arkvi's barricades.

Squad Elsoun arrived five seconds after they reached the barricades, right on schedule.

"Arkvi, Elsoun - mark"

The Grey Knights were covered in overlapping firepower, the sorcerour even adding a few blasts of magic when the Grey Knight's faith failed them. After the initial volley, four Grey Knights remained, and they charged forwards, but they were still a few feet away when the squads finished reloading and cut them down as well.

Comniar gave the order to ensure the Grey Knights were dead. As Arkvi executed the Grey Knights still struggling, Comniar voxed Elsanur.

"Librarian, first squad destroyed. Where is the second squad of Grey Knights?"

Archived