Deathless

Dark Apostle Thirst

Third post with no updates, I know, I know <_<

I did read through the critiqueing, and unsurprisingly, it did agree with your comments. I've learned my lesson, to pay heed to the advice already given, on the off-chance it turns out to be further reinforced later.

I look forward to finishing this story, and will soon. Until then, thank you all for reading.

As a quick note, I have changed the dreadnought from housing Grather to a different former Summoner, Onrath. Aside from that, there aren't any major changes in the story, so please enjoy this (almost) final update.

--------

Phase 1 of the mission was complete. All the major sources of resistance had been neutralised, leaving a clear path to the Inquisitor. Phase two was now underway, consisting of securing the rest of the Black Ship and replacing the now dead wardens, who had impisoned the psyker cargo onboard, with Wraiths of Darkness. The three headed daemon prince was welcome to have the prisoners on the Black Ship alive, but Comniar knew not to let them free. The psykers would likely kill each other, resulting in a drop in payment, as well as providing a threat to the Fourth Summoning.

Decks One, Two, and Three were quickly cleared with commands from the Summoner. Onrath occasionally commented on various orders, but the former Summoner seemed conent to allow most of Comniar's battlefield decisions to stand. This pleased Comniar, although he was certain that a more in-depth criticism was awaiting him once the mission was over and the Summoner was free of immediate responsibility.

The H.U.D. placed Comniar and his bodyguard about seven minutes from Inquisitor Mikrail. Once the Inqusitor was captured, the combat mission could be declared a success, as with no opposing enemy forces or commander the combat was concluded. However, Comniar was wary of any Inquisitor, especially one who had the experience that Mikrail's file stated he had - over two centuries as an inquisitor, one hundred and sixty four campaigns, and over four hundred successful combat situations. That only included what the Inquisitor chose to reveal to his other Inquisitors, and since the last update from the Phantom Lord's occasionally limited information system.

In the seven minutes that it took for the party to travel to the Inquisitor, the rest of the Black Ship was under control of the Wraiths of Darkness and a squad watched over each containment block in the first three decks. Comniar ceased directing the larger plan almost thirty seconds before he reached the bridge's closed doors.

Gesturing towards the doors, the Summoner ordered Onrath to remove them. A few seconds later, the dreadnought simply walked through the doors. Reduces the risk of accidentally killing the Inquisitor, Comniar mused as he led the command squad through the hole into the bridge.

Seeing Inquisitor Mikrail turned towards the viewscreen, which depicted only scene after scene of the Wraith's success across the decks of the Black Ship, Comniar ordered Onrath and Regulirai to hold position. If possible, the Summoner prefered to take the Inquisitor without violence, and so ordered his command squad to follow a step behind him as he approached Mikrail. If the Inquisitor did not feel overtly threatened, then he would be more likely to cooperate willingly. Of course, it was unlikely that he would cooperate willingly regardless, but Comniar considered it worth taking the risk.

"Inquisitor Mikrail," Comniar called, when he was close enough, "I am not a servant of Chaos."

The Summoner continued to approach the Inquisitor, though the Inquisitor himself gave no response. Comniar stopped a few feet from Inquisitor Mikrail, and noticed that there was no retinue, and tensed.

It saved his life, because the Inquisitor turned and fired a meltapistol.

Comniar leapt to the side, but not quickly enough to avoid a clean burn through his lower ribs. The Inquisitor was silenced a second later as the command squad sergeant removed both of the Inquisitor's arms. Comniar registered this only because the threat rune dropped from his vision. Half of his lower torso was burned away, and it was beyond his ability to do more than fight down the pain for a semblance of control.

Then the sorceror was at his side, along with the apothecary.

"No," growled the Summoner, "I wo-on't be healed by Ch-Chaos."

Regulirai simply looked down at him, and stated "You are not promised to be deathless, Summoner."

The apothecary glanced at the sorceror, then inspected his commander. After a moment, the apothecary spoke into the vox.

"You may not be deathless, my Summoner, but you're the closest I have seen. Missed your vital organs completely, although you'll need bionic replacements. For now, enter a temporary coma, Onthar has taken command of the mission."

Comniar reached up to the apothecary he had known and had been healed by for many years, before grabbing the apothecary's gorget and shaking him.

"Numb the pain. I will see this mission completed." Comniar cleared the weakness from his voice, but he could not entirely hide the pain.

"Summoner-" the apothecary began.

"Do it. Now."

The apothecary hesitantly did as he was commanded, grateful that the sorceror was not privy to Comniar's vox communications.

The pain washed away slowly. Comniar reached out to the apothecary again. The apothecary nodded, finally understanding, and supported the Summoner as he stood.

EDIT: computer had issues.

Archived