New FAQ!on gw website!

aledonati

So... When do we get access to Stormravens and Redeemers?

Just heard this morning that next month's White Dwarf will have some tasty Space Marine updates - errata style - bringing the different Marines further in line... Possible Storm Raven info for everyone too. Of course take this info as you wish as that's all I was told (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) :wink:

Me? I'll just wait and see...

Just heard this morning that next month's White Dwarf will have some tasty Space Marine updates - errata style - bringing the different Marines further in line... Possible Storm Raven info for everyone too. Of course take this info as you wish as that's all I was told (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) :wink:

Source please?

Yes, please. It seems to me that the 'something in the pipe' for the DA that was dangled like a carrot in front of our noses in the weeks previous may have been the new FAQ, with Stormravens for all and sundry in the March White Dwarf. Where does this nudge, nudge, wink, wink info come from?

I'd be surprised if they made SR for everybody...there is actual no need for EVERYBODY to have EVERYTHING... if you end up doing that, just get 1 codex for all the marines and 10 pages of special characters and rules for the chapters.

I'd say that stand alone codex should have unique options/models/choices... just like BA have sanguinary guards or SW have TWC.

As a fleet based chapter it would make sense to have more air assets. But even that argument is week, as a SM Chapter it would make sense to have more rapid response assets that a SR would fill as opposed to Rhinos, RB's and L's. IMO

That, and don't we already use aquila landers for small troop transport? (Might not be a combat vahicle, but meh)

Though the Arvus Ligther sounds more on par in that capacity, yet it's completely unarmed. I feel like bulky Astartes would not fit as well in the Lander.

Never mind, the Storm Raven, i load my marines ten at a time into giant cannons and launch them at the enemy from orbit after softening the target with bombardment and deploying thunderhawks where neccessary. I don't think we should get the SR (fluff-wise or otherwise) but can see why GW would dish it out to everyone in order to sell a rather expensive bit of kit.

It's still ugly though. Only way i would consider buying one is with several sheets of plasticard so that i can stretch it out into a Thunderhawk.

Al

I'd be surprised if they made SR for everybody...there is actual no need for EVERYBODY to have EVERYTHING... if you end up doing that, just get 1 codex for all the marines and 10 pages of special characters and rules for the chapters.

I'd say that stand alone codex should have unique options/models/choices... just like BA have sanguinary guards or SW have TWC.

The difference is that the Sanguinary Guard and Thunderwolf Cavalry are specific units that reflect the non-codex tweaks of those Chapters. The Storm Raven is just a transport, like a Land Raider or a Rhino, and consequently would be available to all marine Chapters.

Never mind the damn Storm Raven across all Chapters – I'd be happy with drop pods that were like everybody elses... ^_^ A BS4 mod to its profile but no other changes... nice but meh.

Cheers

I

As the dust settles and the whooping for joy fades in the background.....

Quite a simple update. While nice and well timed - I have a game tomorrow vs ORKS ( Who will die horribly on Azs blade )

I have to ask.... why did it take them so long to do something so simple?

Scouts are still not troops I note.

While they have BS of 4 they take the elite slots.

I thought they would have added the scout speeder as raven wing / scouts provide intelligence on the fallen.

Wold have linked in.

Scouts will maybe be stuck as Elites as Jervis said when he made the codex scouts he saw as elities.

DA i believe will always have more expensive troops as I think the army is more based around Termis and Ravenwing.

We have amazing termi flexibility.

Our armies may lose out on general troop items due to RW being scoring and with Belial Termis being scoring.

In saying that we do not need to take a full 10 man squad to get special weapons so there are pros and cons.

While this is good Im a little disapointed - was expecting a proper update ( ie new codex ) with better characters or slight changes.

Still will go with what we got I guess.

.......I agree entirely with these sentiments.

I am very happy for these long overdue updates to be published by GW for the benefit of the gaming community. However, I personally belive that if one is to do something, then one should do it properly and completely... and not leave the job half done.

I know the DA community feels the same way simply based on the amount of input, discussion and passionate arguments that have taken place within these forums particularly in relation to the Projects Unforgiven and Redemption.

On a personal note I feel sad that we are not privy to the LAscannon/Tw Plasmagun razorback armament, as this still preclude me using my Shadow Guard army from the thrid edition anymore.

Another note of disappointment was the fact identified by 'GAZ_AV_NZ' in relation to the scouts. We can never field an entire scout army as they are listed as an elites slot, we are not allowed scout bikers and the LS Storm is unavailable. This is ridiculous considering the fact that in all the GW 40K fiction the DA are the ones who have deployed a massive force of scouts on frontline duty under command of their sergeant (Piscina and Vet Sergeant Naaman) At the least, having Vet Sergeant Naaman provide the ability to take scouts are troop choices may have been useful)

Our scouts are meant to be ELITE!! Yet, they have to pay +5 points for their sniper rifes unlike their SM counterparts, their sergeant can't take a teleport homer which is ridiculous given the fact that their entire first company is made up of terminators.

Again, while I am happy for small mercies, I can't help but feel that this change is a half Ar*&ed job, an afterthought, a tid bit done to temporarily satisfy the masses.

Ultimately I am utterly disappointed!

Sorry to spoil the fun..... :D :P

Don't forget the introduction paragraph.

When such issues arise, we feel that it is important

to deal with them as promptly as we can, and we therefore

produce regular updates for all of our army books. When

changes are made, the version number will be updated,

and any changes from the previous version will be

highlighted in magenta.

It is likely that some other changes may occur in the future... Good (drop pod price decrease or scout passing to troops) or bad (+5pts cost for getting a TH/SS like BA or more expensive CML)

I can understand about our troops being more expensive but we shouldn't have that.

Space Pups, for same price get more then regular and such. I would love to see our points dropped. Also for the price of 6 bikes or so basicly I can get 2 units of 5 pimped out bikers.

Now with the boast of TH/S on terminators its ok for points, but their supposed to be vets and best of best, so would like to get another extra attack on RW and DW.

MY thoughts.

Don't want to sound like whining or bashing just giving 2 cents.

An opportunity missed for sure. But at least there's something to be getting to grips with – and actually what has been changed is quite interesting given its impact on Deathwing game play... :cry:

@ Master Avoghai I love you optimism... but I'd eat my power armour if we get another update before our next Codex (probably 2012). After all its taken GW 27ish months from the last update to give us this one!!

Cheers

I

This FAQ only tackles rule and wargear disparity.

It doesn't attempt to redress all balance issues or FOC issues or units that are missing from CDA. If you think about what fixing all those things would entail, it's quite obvious why they didn't attempt it. As far as a FAQ goes, this is just about as good as it gets, though even with their focus on only existing rules and wargear, they still missed some stuff (combat squadding out of a drop pod and Ravenwing turboboosting for their Scout move, off the top of my head).

they still missed some stuff (combat squadding out of a drop pod and Ravenwing turboboosting for their Scout move, off the top of my head).

I dont think they missed those two particular cases, I think they are left like that on purpose. WIth Ravenwing turboboosting on scout move, you have frseh terminator squads in your enemy deploy areaon turn 1, and with combat squadding pods you can unload 2 five man vet squad pre pod, like codex marines do, but given the nature of our mixed squads, you can unload a cc and ranged combo from a single pod. I dont think that would boost DA armies a lot (well, turboboost maybe :)) but I reckon it could lead to some nasty combinations...

An opportunity missed for sure. But at least there's something to be getting to grips with – and actually what has been changed is quite interesting given its impact on Deathwing game play... :P

I

Hey, having been an optimist and defender of the GW's approach to the unforgiven following every release since the thrid edition and their subsequent FAQ's...I thought I'd jump on the doomday and naysayer bandwagon to see what it feels like!! :P

This FAQ only tackles rule and wargear disparity.

It doesn't attempt to redress all balance issues or FOC issues or units that are missing from CDA. If you think about what fixing all those things would entail, it's quite obvious why they didn't attempt it. As far as a FAQ goes, this is just about as good as it gets, though even with their focus on only existing rules and wargear, they still missed some stuff (combat squadding out of a drop pod and Ravenwing turboboosting for their Scout move, off the top of my head).

Why I was disappointed is that while they have made a correction to the Scout Squad (in ensuring that the sergeant too may take a sniper rifle) why the hell did they not make the sniper rifles free like C:SM. That is within the purview of the Offical Updates as stated by GW "Each update is split into three sections: Errata,Amendments, and ʻFrequently Asked Questionsʼ. The Errata corrects any mistakes in the codex, while the Amendments bring the codex up to date with the latest version of the rules. The Frequently Asked Questions (or ʻFAQʼ) section answers commonly asked questions about the rules.)

When they did the same for us after the thrid edition codex, that single page of changes in White Dwarf correcte most of the issues very nicely at the end of t=which the DA community generally felt satisfied. This time around I just get the feeling that even with the update we've been delat a short hand.

Don't misunderstand me, the deck that has been dealt is very nice to have indeed but it's what is missing and how easily it could have been rectified is what's irking me. :huh:

SG

Hey, having been an optimist and defender of the GW's approach to the unforgiven following every release since the thrid edition and their subsequent FAQ's...I thought I'd jump on the doomday and naysayer bandwagon to see what it feels like!! :P

...is it good :rolleyes: ?

Don't misunderstand me, the deck that has been dealt is very nice to have indeed but it's what is missing and how easily it could have been rectified is what's irking me. :huh:

No arguments here.

In regards to the FAQ, there are a couple of things that can be taken away from this. The first is modernizing. Landraider Crusaders got boosted MASSIVELY with the addition of the BS 4 PotMS. This will make them a much more (and less expensive then their C:SM counterpart) useful item for 250 points. Cyclone and TH/SS options have become very useful, as you can have Termies now with mole whackers w spray shields and Missiles and not feel too cheated. Typhoons with free multi meltas are a bonus with the fact that even with the points they are still cheaper then their C:SM counterparts (these are really great for scaring the hell out of your opponent).

The Downside however (known as 'second' of the list of things to take away) is the lack of Troop options. I had hoped that the scouts would have been relieved from their Elite duties to a lowly (!) Troops choice, but that was not to be. Higher opints for Drop Pods and also Razorbacks was also a disappointment, but I can understand the lack in severe changes. If you were to change so much so drastically, then they should have just re-written the book, and saved space on their server.

All in all, this came at a great time, as I was building a new army of Dark Angels for my kid, so this is wonderful.

Hey, having been an optimist and defender of the GW's approach to the unforgiven following every release since the thrid edition and their subsequent FAQ's...I thought I'd jump on the doomday and naysayer bandwagon to see what it feels like!! :ermm:

...is it good :rolleyes: ?

Not too bad..... It's nice not to be in the minority all the time!! :rolleyes:

as you can have Termies now with mole whackers w spray shields and Missiles and not feel too cheated.

Love that description!!!! :blush: <_<

So, I just noticed this.... Our DW Terminator squads are slightly more expensive than the Sm counterparts (+15 points) and don't have the option of adding the odd termie to fill up the points. But I note that the cyclone missile launcher is 10 points cheaper.... Am I correct in this or has the cost been changed for DA somewhere else?

Also, hadn't noticed the free MM option not being present for UM. Although to mee the LRC looks like the same cost for both.

Still, happier days are ahead... :teehee:

SG

Also for 15 points extra we get fearless, and basicly can have heavy weapons with our Assault terminators, while our brother chapter has nothing like that.

I understand everyones thoughts, ya I feel that GW should take more time and fix some bad stuff they need, if we get our Scouts as elites make them like SW.

I would love a point drop for our bikes. and cheaper guys. HATE the get 5 or 10. thing.

\But w.e. hope GW hears us out and gets us new book or white dwarf or PDF fixing things. for a quick start. or w.e.

Archived