New FAQ!on gw website!

aledonati

In person gamers aren't generally that vituperant. I'm sure any jibing about being bandwagon players will be good natured joking.

I remember the last time this happened, our previous codex (Minidex 2) when we got a huge 4 page FAQ to update us to the previous marine codex.

This was DA at the height of their power (Speaking competitively, we were still not as good as any of the other marine codexes but the best DA have been) and a few people though all terminator or ravenwing armies could be cheesy so they jumped over. Most of the new DW players jumped to lysanderwing (Which for the same points as a deathwing army you got all the same models and 2 units of scouts) or to BTs when they were released and found to be broken.

It dies down quickly if the lists are found to be merely average.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with seeing some new rules, a new way to play and jumping at the chance for a new army. If someone else wants to try out the unforgiven way of life then good luck to 'em!

On another note, I was in my local GW and someone said "Oh I see someone has started playing Dark Angels now the FAQ is out" and before I could reply at least 2 other people in the store pointed out I had been playing DA since the 80s.

Yeah it seems that some players can't imagine that some people actually played DA before the FAQ...

I had a fella say the same thing to me about joining the DA because of the FAQ. I have been a Dark Angel since 2001. I have 50 terminators, a complete battle company, and working on the Ravenwing right now. I told the guy "You really believe I went out and purchased 50 terminators because of the FAQ?" Then I walked away because his reply didn't even matter.

Actually there is nothing wrong with army-hopping. Folks are in this hobby for a variety of reason – all of them valid to the individuals concerned – including playing what they believe is the strongest codex in order to win (before the next 'strongest one' come along that is). That is all grist to the mill ...

^ This.

I vary my codex use all the time. Not because I am trying to powergame (though I am very competetive), but because I get bored easily. I rarely play the same list more than 2 or 3 times before I have to change it up.

Honestly, that's my biggest reason for hating how they've done the latest vanilla codex. Traits gave so many options to refresh my interest!

Come on, lets face it: if you play once every other month a friendly game with a buddy over some pizzas and beer, you're never going to get bored of your army.

If you play 60+ games/year (more or less, every other week plus a tournament every other month)... maybe it'll take you 5-10-20 games to find your list... but when you do, you'll probably get a bit bored of always having the same options and will start looking for other challanges.

I've made fun many times in the new members forum saying that you aren't allowed to BnC if you don't have 2 future projects beyond the current one :P

I like Dark Angels. I LOVE my Deathwing and I'm starting to get the hang of the Ravenwing :P However, that doesn't belittle the fact that I have some 4.000 points worth of SM to build for a BA and a SW project... along with an IG project (almost 2k!) plus paying for the missus shiny Dark Eldar (around 1.5k so far).

I just realized this morning I need to slow down on the purchase and speed up the building/painting :tu:

Also, in this local club everybody is insisting I take pure DW to the next tourney with 5 TH/SS per squad...but 2011 it the year of the Raven so...NO! :)

BTW, even if you have metal GK... you're a bandwagonner who bought them off ebay "PROPAINTED" xDDD You've know for like 3 months they are coming out, don't tell me you bought them last week... you liar... :)

Just got the new White Dwarf - and despite what I was told - it's all just Blood Angels... :(

I know right? And centered prominently is the Stomraven. Gotta get that product placement in haha

That being said, my first army was SoB (from Chapter Approved on until today) and I'm still building and painting them. In that time I've changed chapters (READ: re-painted) and played a lot of games, but I finally relented and started collecting Dark Angels in '09. Still haven't fielded an army yet (I take a LONG time collecting stuff, and GW is frighteningly expensive), but I'm getting there.

BTW, even if you have metal GK... you're a bandwagonner who bought them off ebay "PROPAINTED" xDDD You've know for like 3 months they are coming out, don't tell me you bought them last week... you liar... :(

I have a squad of original RT GK Terminators... where does that leave me?

BTW, even if you have metal GK... you're a bandwagonner who bought them off ebay "PROPAINTED" xDDD You've know for like 3 months they are coming out, don't tell me you bought them last week... you liar... :ermm:

I have a squad of original RT GK Terminators... where does that leave me?

In the Dark Ages? In an elderly people residence (or the appropiate concept in English)? :D I was just poking old time GK players :D

As if I cared how long people have played an army before I face them...it only matters to figure how well they know their army, which usually is the single most important issue to know if the opponent is going to give you a hard time IMO.

BTW, have you guys felt the hype go down a bit? It seems to me people have cooled off, read stuff on the net and figured out that DW is not really going to change THAT much... numbers still drown us and the most important boosts (SS and CML) only mean we are now safe-er from AP2 templates and we get to shoot a bit more.

I have seen a fair few players trying their hand at the DW, but I think part of the issue is it is still a small elite army, and people are not sure how to build a list that will work (mostly seeing new people going all TH/SS, and getting killed by hordes), ON top of which other than DW players, not everyone, has 30+ termies just lying around. I have yet to get my DW out on the table, they were my first army and are in the process of getting a facelift.

I prefer the multi-wing approach. Now with FNP, CML, and Typhoon changes, multi is IMO even more of an option if you want to win. You can bring greater firepower and get that lasting CC when you need to.

Yup, I feel all TH&SS would be a dissapointment. I magnetise arms so I can swap. And play wolfwing as well, I am one of those codex hopping evil persons.

I have a lot of marines (having played since 2nd edition) so I play the codex that best supports the playstyle I want to play. If that is terminators I play either Loganwing or Deathwing, if it's bikes I play Ravenwing or Space Marines, I have 30 jumppackers, so if I ever feel like playing with them again I'll probable use my BA codex.

And for the record, most people jest about codex hopping as a sort of in joke, but I have been accused of beeing a litteral traitor for polaying my termies with the wolf codex and been told in my face that they would not play me with that list. I don't get that, but seemingly for some people that makes sense in their mind.

As I tend to visit 1 toernament a month (ish) I also like to play with a lot of sorts of lists and I also like them to be as competative as I can get them. So yes, if I could think of a cool Black templar list I'd play that aswell.

On Grey knights, I've had those for a while aswell, but they stopped going to tournaments a while ago.

If the new dex makes them tournament worthy again maybe they'll also come out for a spin again.

My point? I'll play anything myself and against anywones army, no matter how hwat or where he got it or why he chose it. Sadly it seems I cannot expect the same curtesy from someone else.

If its minimally painted/represented, I'd have no problem krewl.

I don't care if they have wolf pelts or if they carry broken swords or Malta crosses... as long as the army has a coherent theme and everything can be identified...no problem.

An example of an army I wouldn't like to face (except in small friendly games) would be something like:

"Yeah, this big Fantasy guy here is Logan, these 20 khorne marines are Long Fangs, those 3 Night Goblin Spiders are TWC and the 30 skaven are Grey Hunters".

On the other extreme, I've known people claim that WYSIWYG meant that if your bog standard marines don't have grenades glued on them, they don't have them... I'd say that's over the top for me.

As usual, its a matter of balance. Friendly and you want to check stuff out? Lets use cokes as drop pods! Tournament or pre-tournament serious games? I like facing a properly represented and at least undercoated army.

My Space Wolves never get accusations of bandwagoning, I have metal terminators (love me some Jes Goodwin). My Space Marines are still a work in progress just because painting red and grey can be almost as tedious as painting shadow grey. Even my new thunderwolves are waiting on me to get stirred up in a rush of excitement.

If i never bought another model (yeah right) I'd still have months of concentrated painting just on my 40k miniatures, not to mention the Empire models, the Warhammer Quest models, the 2nd edition Space Hulk game, and the 2nd edition Warzone game. Arghh!

EDIT: Forgot the two copies of Space Crusade.

I wish more people were open to counts as armies. I've been wanting to run my Eldar as Dark Eldar for a while now. My close friends don't mind at all, but TOs and fluff Nazis go crazy over it sometimes (though not always)

My terminators are painted/based and have squadmarking weither they are wolfwing or Deathwing, but the markings are angelic.

Also my models are all What You See Is What You Get. As I said, my tournament armies need to be al that for the soft points.

As for beeing to hardcore WYSIWYG I feel that the tournament scene gets a bit to hard on that sometimes (Like the grenades example above).

Spoiled my cool idea for Thunderwolf mount cavalery but with Ravenwing bikers converted to be bigger (same sizes ofcourse, no modeling for advantage) and on dread bases offcourse with the right weapons and shields and gear (naturally).

But the forum I post in NL had to many people declairing they'd have trouble with that keeping them separated from normal bikers, even if I'd have no other bikes in the list. ^_^

I'm not putting the trouble in my models to convert them and not be able to use them on tournaments.

Spoiled my cool idea for Thunderwolf mount cavalery but with Ravenwing bikers converted to be bigger (same sizes ofcourse, no modeling for advantage) and on dread bases offcourse with the right weapons and shields and gear (naturally).

But the forum I post in NL had to many people declairing they'd have trouble with that keeping them separated from normal bikers, even if I'd have no other bikes in the list. sad.gif

I'm not putting the trouble in my models to convert them and not be able to use them on tournaments.

I would actually be ok with this because you are putting effort in and fielding them on different bases. If you had a lot of bikes (which I do) and just put out on the field and said "these are my TWC models" Then I would have an issue. This is the same issue I had with Ray Js Original post (on Whiskey and 40k) Proxying =\= to count as. Now if someone wants to put out say eldar as DE, and have gone through the trouble of modeling/painting them to look like DE, you will get no complaints from me. However, if said army was approved by a TO for a tournament, or it was just for a fun game to test out the rules, I'd also play without complaint.

As for the grenade issue, WYSIWYG refers to only non-standard wargear, anything that comes stock on the model can be assumed.

I have been accused of beeing a litteral traitor for polaying my termies with the wolf codex

*cough* traitor *cough*

:HQ:

Maybe people feel strongly about the honor of their chapter. And seeing the RP aspects of the game it would make perfect sense to call you a traitor to the Legion, when you use your Dark Angel models with the puppy codex.

I personally would brand them "Fallen" and hunt you down at all costs ;)

Archived