Fire Angels (2nd Company)

Lorenzen

okay so the updates havent been as hard and fast as i'd like.. and even todays isnt amazing by any stretch.

but its an update, because i have so few days left to get these boys done!

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/147/d/0/apoth_near_completion_by_typhion-d51b5f4.jpg

the basing needs a little work (the rusty metal is just blocked in, and the lights on his backpack still need sorting out (and having the metal done around them etc) but he is nearly there now and is done enough to count if i cant get it all finished in time before going back to those bits :unsure:

im wondering what to do with broms sword at this point.. id like to do the blended power weapon thing.. but i want to distinguish it a bit more (relic blade) was thinking less pinky purple and maybe some lightning? i want to keep it quite dark as in my mind its always been black.

due to the fact that i kept the head intact it was "somewhat" hard to remove, but with a sharp enough blade and some carefully made cuts its possible to save the head. it doesn't have any major detail on the left side of the face behind the optics though so posing with it is limited.

i can post a pic of the head blu tacked onto a body if you like to show that its not mangled :P

My god.......

that converted vanguard you made with the chaplain legs is just incredible.

the face on that last guy you did is amazing too!!

and the power armoured Brom guy you made is probably the manliest marine i have ever seen, where did you get the sword from if you don't mind me asking?

@DarkAngelDelight: the sword is a grey knight terminator sword with the hilt from the power armoured justicar sword. glad you like my stuff, im rather proud of how brom turned out.. he's channeling john mc'clane ;)

the vials came from a conversation with Chris Innes (eavy metal) earlier today, was struggling to figure out what to do with them and got the opportunity to ask him so took it, very nice guy. i think once the model is varnished i may go over them with a gloss just to make them look more glassy. not sure yet though, need to figure out what else to put on his kneepad, i need to throw a few halved and quartered ones throughout the army.

update time!

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/148/c/8/swordmaster_by_typhion-d51fz36.jpg

this dude needs a fair amount of work still but i like where hes going..

then we have a group shot of the boys looking menacing and mini update to Brom in the form of his sword.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/148/4/e/command_squad_by_typhion-d51g5dd.jpg

in order from left to right we have the unamed apothecary (any ideas?) Haydn Lang (twin brother of Rikart Lang - the finished tac squads sargeant), Alexander Bromhardt, Jori Mauer, Eidhardt Abendroth and Lanzo Kolman.

once these guys are finished i think ill be doing their transport and another tactical squad with a veteran sergeant haas count as aka Matthias Krueger "the white hawk"

Yeah the power weapons are airbrushed its something that will hopefully draw people into look at the army closely rather than just passing them by without a second glance.. which is a big problem for metallic armies and black armies.

their transport is currently being cleaned of mold release, i think im going to give it an assault cannon, although i am somewhat tempted by the multimelta option from fw.. decisions decisions!

any progress with your own fangles Batu?

Okay so i realised how close the deadline is for this squad and whereas Lanzo is "acceptable" Jori (hammer dude) wasnt.. so i needed to crack on.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/150/0/a/vets_by_typhion-d51nfm3.jpg

I dont know if im happy with the hammer head yet, i think i may have to revisit it but most of him is blocked in with basic colours now so he's getting there.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/150/3/9/hammerclose_by_typhion-d51nfyj.jpg

i think i need to neaten up the white a bit, might add some lightningy effects to it as its a "thunder" hammer so it makes some sense and will break up the surfaces a bit more, dunno though.

heres a little preview of whats coming next month

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/150/0/f/transport_by_typhion-d51ng8g.jpg

(the turret will be swapped out for the fw one, but in case that doesnt arrive in time for next months deadline i had to improvise) i wasnt keen on the idea of the serparate bolters for the fangles, so it has a modern hatch plate on there for a modern storm bolter if i ever run it as a rhino. i think ill have to pin the storm bolter bit when i get round to it, cant see magnets fitting.

Amazing as always brother! The Purple Power Weapons are beast, and look best with this color scheme I think, as it stands out, but not so much to make it look awkward, if you know what I mean. Looking forward to more as always! :P

thanks guys, I like the purple, its something a bit different but doesnt stray too far away from the red trim.. it was however based on a whim rather than any kind of rational thought.. i just decided id try it with purple rather than the usual turquoise/ice blue affair.

*update* heres a shot of the completed unit sans brom who is not technically part of the challenge (hoping to have him done by tomorrow regardless.)

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/150/3/c/command_squad_by_typhion-d51p9b0.jpg

I saw these guys on the Badab War painting challenge blog and was blown away by the quality. When I saw there was a whole ten pages devoted to them it was like Christmas come early for me!

I love the poses of the marines especially that champion and I thought hmm here is a guy who knows his way around a marine sprue. Combined with your superb gritty war torn painting you capture the Fire Angels so well, heroic, knightly and brutal.

Really looking forward to seeing more of these guys. Keep up the great work

The Yak

Glad you all like them, im very happy with them, i have a thing for making my marines non "parade ground" i like the gritty war torn look seeing as they only come out to play in battles anyway..

@marshal2crusaders: fluff wise i think they would have all been present duing the badab war (7 companies worth of fangles were there) but my thoughts on it would be that they came together as a somewhat hasty replacement post sagan and have only been together as a complete fighting since then.

thanks man, though if it weren't for the b&c and people like blindhamster, doghouse and sioka to name just a few of the many who's work inspires me the squad would've languished in stock command squad hell for all eternity.

up next is a slightly fancier than usual tactical squad using vet sarge haas's rules so the multimelta dude will be sporting old school devie details on the legs to rep suspensors of some sort (squad is relentless with haas) and general badassery from them, then there will be the haas count as himself aka matthias krueger who is a mini character in his own right (2+ save, iron halo, power weapon, 2 wounds) and of course pa brom and the razorback will be done too.. hopefully all by next months deadline!

thanks man, though if it weren't for the b&c and people like blindhamster, doghouse and sioka to name just a few of the many who's work inspires me the squad would've languished in stock command squad hell for all eternity.

up next is a slightly fancier than usual tactical squad using vet sarge haas's rules so the multimelta dude will be sporting old school devie details on the legs to rep suspensors of some sort (squad is relentless with haas) and general badassery from them, then there will be the haas count as himself aka matthias krueger who is a mini character in his own right (2+ save, iron halo, power weapon, 2 wounds) and of course pa brom and the razorback will be done too.. hopefully all by next months deadline!

Sounds promising! Looking forward to them! Who are these characters? Some IA goodies? (<--lack of IA books showing ;) )

Archived