Fire Angels (2nd Company)

Lorenzen

alclad is a metallic laquer that can be used with an airbrush.. awesome stuff imho.

the newer fire angels are painted as follows.

gloss black primer (gloss is very important for the alclad)

spray with dark aluminium alclad

wash with a mix of watered down chaos black and gloss varnish

drybrush with rub n buff silver leaf.

i paint using vallejo colours.. vermillion for any of the trim with a mix of vermillion and dwarf flesh for the highlights.

the insignia etc are done with carmine red.

grey areas are painted with basalt grey, then given a wash of devlan mud, then a light drybrush of sky grey.

the eyes are just black with a gloss varnish.

the guns are a mix of black and dark grey with carmine red stripes.

weathering is done with forgeworlds light earth pigment applied around the feet.

the older fire angels were done using vallejo model air metallics.. with "gun" as the base coat then a zenethial highlight of "steel".. they were then protected with a coat of gloss varnish and given an oil wash (mix of black and burnt umber oil paints with white spirit) recoated with gloss varnish (in hindsight idve just mixed my own wash ala the new ones using black and a little bit of brown)

All round nice looking army that is evolving nicely :)

The termie captain is singularly...well, singular ;) Very nice conversion.

And the relic contemptor positioning is suitably imposing.

Any chance of a newer group shot? You seem to have a fair few done now, and a new camera to boot.

ill be doing a new group shot over the weekend.. am hoping to show off the full termie command, brom in tda, 2 tac squads, 2 rhinos and a crusader by the end of sunday.

oh and the contemptor.. but fames starting to go to his head.

okay so due to my dear mother shattering her ankle, progress has been slower than i planned.. but i do have progress none the less.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/apothinator.jpg

first on the agenda is one of the assault termies.. this one pretends to be an apothecary because brom needed command squad mates.. hes a cheery looking guy as you can see.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/termie.jpg

then we have one of his pals.. this guy is currently a stand in until i can do something a little more cool looking for a company champion termie.. but i like him none the less so paint happened.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/tacsquad1.jpg

this is a nice group photo of the 1st tac squad for the army, theyve seen a lot of pics so far because theyre the closest thing to being finished (need to replace the missile launcher with a multimelta & add a few more insignias etc)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/rhino.jpg

here is there ride.. unfinished and slightly damaged after my cat played with it (her favourite pastime is pushing stuff off've things..) needs a new headlight on the curiously obscured side and the cross needs to be more than penciled in.. but its a good show of how the vehicles should look.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/tacsquad2.jpg

then we have the new boys sans sergeant, this lot are all done with alclad, the multimelta dude is one of my favourites.. he has a girder of power afterall.

• 1 month later...

so totally didnt ignore my duties as a hobbyist over 99% of febuary.. honest!

to make up for my laziness i have a pic of something fancy.. and a promise of more pics of the tac squad and eventually those termies as the squad nears completion (the have more than 3 colours on them and everything!)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/typhion/Librarianwip.jpg

decided to actually.. you know make a librarian that i liked rather than just mashing on old models until the looked somewhat sortve kindve like something i may be ok with using.

oh and if you are finding my method of typing a bit iffy, its because i've come in from a night shift and havent slept yet.. something which i plan on altering asap.

the tiny tiny shield is to annoy wysiwyg people by being his storm shield.. because a big shield and a halberd is a retarded setup in real life fighting and i didnt want to give him a sword.

The termie libarian is awesome as always, though you do have a lot of Marines with one foot on top of stuff. Not saying it gets old yet, but it might someday :)

Also mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold line is making me want to find out where you live and break in to remove it. Seriously, I won't sleep well until I see proof that it's gone.

WoW great looking cloak, you can handle your greenstuff for sure !

Overall very nice job brother ! I even thought that rhino is finished, because its already looking cool.

Hoping to get some more pics up later today, but some of them wont be of things you were expecting..

mainly because i bought a caestus and some other goodness yesterday up at warhammer world and have been beavering away at cleaning it up and assembling stuff.

im guessing it was because i spent most of it going RAWR at the sales people until they got my forgeworld stuff sorted.. that and ive cut all my hair off so you probably wouldnt have been able to go "hey look its chris!" as easily.

the mold line is gone and the hood was made from a grey knight terminators back (tried a power armoured one.. it looked too flimsy.

so.. the pictures didnt happen, my dear little kitty decided my battery should live on the floor not in its charger as planned.. if she wasnt so cute id be more pissed.

the caestus is built.. its fricking huge, and went together pretty damn well, few gaps here and there, but no worse than a land raider, and easy enough to fill with miliput.. but i have a gaming club to be running tonight so ill be delaying the shiny pictures of crap in favour of actually using my army today..

sorry.. :P

• 2 months later...

update time!

those of you who have looked in the badab war topic thing will have seen a pic of shanky mc shankerson before.. but he's had more done to him and now has a name (Eidhart Abendroth)

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/127/4/2/company_champion_eidhart__abendroth_by_typhion-d4ywf2w.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/127/1/f/champ2_by_typhion-d4ywfj6.jpg

oh and also..

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/127/2/5/aircav_by_typhion-d4ywfwk.jpg

flying crap! :)

the storm eagle kit is by far and away the worse of the two to put together just so you know.. :)

ive got most of the reworked standard bearer done and ready to be primed, had a bit of a crisis about what head to give him.. but thats been sorted, expect photos once eidhart is complete and the full command squad (potentially barring the apothecary who fw need to deliver) by the end of the month along with a completed version of pa brom.

Hey! You! With the Amazing Conversions!

Cut that out!

:(

Seriously though, could I get a minor text only tutorial of how you molded the leg guard? I think I could replicate it pretty simply, but I cant tell if you went from bottom layer out, or top layer in.

The leg guard was done from the bottom up. I filed the leg down 1st of all and then started on the 1st layer of greenstuff (hindsight would've used miliput) once it was cured i sanded it down. getting them smooth and the lines sharp is the main bit of trouble.. but thats what knife blades and sanding are for.. once the 1st layer was done i did the 2nd and 3rd in the same manner. then for the kneepad i concentrated on getting the back of it to look right, then cut and sanded it to look right on the front.

its been a while since i did that leg, was meant to be for a helbrecht conversion many moons ago (pre clay shaper days and pre miliput knowledge) it was really straight forward though.

Just went through all eight pages, and wow, what a great army you have sir! I've also enjoyed seeing your skill improve over the whole thing as well. (not meant as derogatory, more as a praise. Lord knows I can't greenstuff to save my life!)

Your tempting me to paint up some Fire Angels! ;) But I've got plenty of projects to keep me busy!

Hoping to see more soon friend!

ps

Your characters are epic.

Archived