Thanks for all the great comments, gang. :D Dreadnaughts will likely be the next update.

The camo on those razorbacks looks awesome - the pic from your first post makes me think of dappled light coming in through a forest canopy. Nice work!

My favourite part though is the blue light in the jetpack turbines of your Assault Sergeant. How did you do that? It looks like you do the same blue glow lighting on the barrel of your tank turret.

The lighting thing is actually quite simple. Its turquoise for a base, with a variation of white mixed in. So, turquoise, then 50/50 turquoise and white, then 25/75 turquoise/white, then 10/90 turquoise and white....and then maybe straight white if I want it bright. Pick where you want it the brightest. The big thing is...light travels in a straight line, so you drybrush the same colors out in a straight line from the source (hope that makes sense) For this I always start with the "less is more" things.... catch a few edges or reflective surfaces. You can always add more if your first attempt doesn't show very well. Once its all done I give the jump pack. a wash of straight Asurman Blue wash. The plasma guns, I just edge with some watered down blue ink

Most things I do involve drybrushing at some level, but I guess the key to the technique is having the right brushes. I have a bunch of old brushes that I only use for drybrushing (so I can beat the crap out of them and not worry about the points) I also use alot of flat brushes when I paint. For instance, a 1/0 pointed brush that doesn't want to keep its shape can be cut with an exacto blade about 2/3 of the way to the base. This makes a nice small drybrushing brush or tight places and such. Alot of it comes down to having "the right tool for the right job", sometimes you have to make the tool.;)

I hope I explained that alright. the best advice I can give is practice.practice,practice. It never hurts to practice new techniques on spare parts, minis or even sprues. I got some second hand AOBR guys that I stripped and primed in white,grey and black just for that purpose.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on the Dreadnaughts. First up, the guy who is now known as Revered Brother Gatling the Indestructible.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uQNgpU2vSq0/TnquQh83NLI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/aZO63jue6lo/s1600/RBGatlingPIP.jpg

Painting still in progress, lots to go- scrolls,seals and details. He has a thing for getting all shot to pieces, but never gets destroyed.

Then we have Revered Brother Amos the Blind or Possibly Near-Sighted or Mildly Colorblind.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SKhIzmGuu68/TnquuM9YgGI/AAAAAAAAAHU/dKei8AJ-aHM/s1600/RBAmosPIP.jpg

He has a tendency not to hit anything in games. Still lots to do. Keep an eye open.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a shot of both Dreadnaughts finished, except for their bases. :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jCnun8aPR3U/ToWiBb4QceI/AAAAAAAAAJg/-rm21Yi8zK8/s1600/AmosNGatlingPIP02.jpg

I've still got two more dreadnaughts, a Master of the forge, a shrike conversion, a librarian and a thunderfire cannon to finish for the Raptors, then its likely back to Grandfather Nurgle for some oozing blasphemy to the Grey knights Codex (Yeah.... you heard me right, but it'll be mostly henchmen/cultists- until they give me an actual Lost and Damned list, I'll have to subvert the holiest of holies to my cause ...BWahahahahahha...er, uhm :) ....I DO love to convert stuff :P )

Cheers, ya'll!

• 2 weeks later...

The Dreadnaughts are done... :jaw:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4dzY4Eee69Y/TpZaGpqiCXI/AAAAAAAAAMY/iNBSvYa_WAM/s1600/Dreadsdone.jpg

And here's the "in Progress" of some objectives, next up..the Shrike conversion. :)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PXv7sYvMjfE/TpZaZZN-maI/AAAAAAAAAMg/abgevr_yvDw/s1600/ObjectivesPIP.jpg

Cheers, ya'll! :D

• 3 weeks later...

More Dreadnaughts?!? Yup... more dreadnaughts. Introducing Venerable Brother Stalwart, in all of his "painting in progress" glory.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jxlkUSJigU4/TqpgCxcCfII/AAAAAAAAANY/xSyMdYvVdrA/s1600/VBStalwartPIP01.jpg

VB Stalwart likes to stride through the thick of battle extolling the virtues of death with anecdotes of his past battles. In fact, he gets so wrapped up in story telling that he tends to 'accidentally' do heroic things, while being 'annoyed' by the real battle around him. he also has a tendency to be horrible with the names of the battle brothers fighting along side and does tend to ramble on. The techmarines are badgered by requests to disconnect his voice actuators.

Then we have a 'work in progress' on Revered Brother Orkin the Ironclad.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3EjW_Zumd90/TqpgfpfMbVI/AAAAAAAAANg/3l5PqIoFVVQ/s1600/RBOrkin01.jpg

RB Orkin has his pattented "Critter Ridder" arm, which "kills bugs dead". He has constant flashbacks to the battle with tyranids that put him in his sarcophagus. He is constantly heard murmurring things like "I know you little @&**@! are in there! You can't hide from me! I've got something special for ya!" and things like that. Usually, they just stick him in a drop pod and drop him close to the enemy...... its safer for his battle brothers. :rolleyes:

Finally, I've begun work on my Captain Shrike conversion, here's the jump pack, so far..... :huh:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5E5BQ2p-Pp4/TqpizI-vrzI/AAAAAAAAAOA/rtf1mkGHaa0/s1600/Backpack.jpg

That's all for now. Some more odds and ends on My Hobby Blog if you want to check it out.

Cheers, ya'll! ;) ;)

I love the fluff for the dreadnoughts. Dread Stalwart kind of makes me think of Kup (from Transformers) or Grandpa Simpson =O

He has alot of stories that start with "Back in my day...." or "You think these Orks are tough? You should have been at <insert planet name here> THOSE were some tough orks" or things about assaulting fortress X in knee deep snow, uphill, both ways. B)

I absolutely love the thread, a great camo marine force is what we asked for for so long!!!

I do have to say i love your idea with the scouts so much I want to steal it... just been over at Pg Iron, and I couldn't find the heads... please send me the link mate...

I absolutely love the thread, a great camo marine force is what we asked for for so long!!!

I do have to say i love your idea with the scouts so much I want to steal it... just been over at Pg Iron, and I couldn't find the heads... please send me the link mate...

Being in the US, you might as well order them from the Warstore. Here's the ones I used:

This one...

And this one...

They fit pretty good as is. But, with a little trimming here and there, especially along the back of scout armor collar, they fit even better. I just never could understand putting the novices, the "future of the chapter" out in the field without helmets...especially when helmet interface is a BIG deal for marines. And...they look cool. But as far as the idea goes, loot away. <_< Also found This site to be most inspirational for camoflage patterns. It catalogs just about any camoflage ever used by the world's armies. Great resource.

Here's the latest addition to the Dreadnaught ranks. ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-D-6CFy-S05k/TrtWSnWG2RI/AAAAAAAAAO4/SqFi6D0Bd_0/s1600/RBRockyWIP.jpg

Revered Brother Rocky. Rocky likes to punch things. Generally, his battle brethren can't understand a word he says. At first it was thought to be a technical malfunction, but it turns out Rocky had quite the slur. The addition of his lips being pushed against the inside of his sarcophogus hasn't helped the matter. SO... he is often sent into the thick of things via drop pod where he can ramble on, yell charging into the enemy "I Ain' gonnaquit!" and yell for his lost Sergeant Brother Adrian.

There is some more stuff on My Hobby Blog, including my conversion of the dreaded white fluffy bunny C'Tan shard, so check it out if you get the chance.

Cheers, ya'll!

• 3 months later...

I've got just a few too many "irons in the fire" these days. Here's a painting update on Revered Brother Rocky. All of the basics are painted, now the detailing begins. RB Orkin and VB Stalwart are at the same point, so the next update should be the 3 of them finished.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x4VOkzHspbw/TzcxjVQR6KI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/t5zsapXddes/s1600/RockyPIP.jpg

I've been sidetracked by an art/writing project and working on an Imperial Guard army, but I'm hoping to get the Dreads done, then its on to optional members to Assault #7 (that way the unit can have any optional weapon load out) and the big conversion of Shrike. I also have aquired two drop pods (hoping to get 3-4 total) which I'm going to be a cheap bugger and paint them in a weathered codex grey scheme so I can use them with any of my armies. I thought about doing a couple rhinos the same way and, if I can figure out how to do it, make some decals for some sort of tongue in cheek used rhino rental dealership. :) More to come on that. Aside from the fantasy based project I've been working on, I also have two comics in the works, one is a 40k comic, for fun... because the interwebs can always use another comic or two..... the other is a bit more 'serious'- think Calvin and Hobbes meets Bloom County meets the Occupied movement :) . But the 40k comic is based (loosely) on my Chaos army: The Templars of DOOOooooom, so I'll keep ya'll posted on that one. I hope to have it up and running by the end of March. If you are interested in my IG stuff, check out My Hobby Blog

cheers, Yall! :D

• 3 months later...

NOPE! I'm not dead! And neither is this thread. Its been a while, since I've been distracted by Orks and Chaos. But, I finally got around to converting MY raptors version of Captain Shrike. And here he is.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cbCXPBgMdZU/T9LRrLTDIHI/AAAAAAAAAcE/sJoOy2X--LY/s1600/ShrikePiP001.jpg

Painting to follow, so keep a weather eye. ;)

Cheers, ya'll!

Standing in for Captain Shrike of the Raven Guard, we have Captain Ickarius.

He is a long serving member of the Chapter, very long serving. And he looks it. A good deal of his flesh and bone has been replaced by various augmentics, bionics, do thingies and thinga-majiggs. maybe even a few thinga-mabobs, but that's just pure conjecture. It has left the Captain's personality and over all demeanor a bit scared and 'intense'. His sense of humor is morbid, morose and disturbing. He also will occasionally lapse into lucid memories that take over the present reality. Battle brethren under his command just tend to play along or ignore him if he should call them the wrong name or start talking about battles that happened before they were even born. Needless to say, venerable Brother Stalwart, who was raised to a Tactical marine at about the same time as Ickarius, often enjoys the captain's company. The two will often stride through the battlespace reminiscing about days gone by, batting aside opponents like they are an annoyance and occasionally stopping to take pictures for the Captain's scrapbooking hobby, which goes well beyond the borders of obsessive. BUT.... he IS a brilliant strategist, in his lucid moments and urges his men to quick action, if for no other reason than to stay clear of his menacing pair of power blades. by design or by accident, the Captain often has moments of incredible, inspiring bravery, leading from the front by example... even if he occasionally thinks he's killing Orks instead of Eldar. :o

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e047KYSmVvY/T9a0LU1OokI/AAAAAAAAAcw/r5bf-rM2xq0/s1600/CaptIck01.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-apTdCjt2b1M/T9a0PrPvFPI/AAAAAAAAAc4/698a635RjmI/s1600/CaptIck02.jpg

More to come. :) Cheers ya'll!

Hi

You are my new hero!

Just been through the whole plog. Great stuff all round. Your scouts were my favourite until I got to the last page.... That Shrike conversion is immense!

Ignore the Orks and Chaos brother lets see more of this dynamite!

Cheers

The Yak

Hi

You are my new hero!

Just been through the whole plog. Great stuff all round. Your scouts were my favourite until I got to the last page.... That Shrike conversion is immense!

Ignore the Orks and Chaos brother lets see more of this dynamite!

Cheers

The Yak

Thanks guys. And how could I say 'no' to a guy named after a Yak? I'm actually taking a break from finishing up my dreadnaughts right now, so there should be some pictures up tonight. Then, more scouts. Keep an eye open.

He is a long serving member of the Chapter, very long serving. And he looks it. A good deal of his flesh and bone has been replaced by various augmentics, bionics, do thingies and thinga-majiggs. maybe even a few thinga-mabobs, but that's just pure conjecture. It has left the Captain's personality and over all demeanor a bit scared and 'intense'. His sense of humor is morbid, morose and disturbing. He also will occasionally lapse into lucid memories that take over the present reality. Battle brethren under his command just tend to play along or ignore him if he should call them the wrong name or start talking about battles that happened before they were even born. Needless to say, venerable Brother Stalwart, who was raised to a Tactical marine at about the same time as Ickarius, often enjoys the captain's company. The two will often stride through the battlespace reminiscing about days gone by, batting aside opponents like they are an annoyance and occasionally stopping to take pictures for the Captain's scrapbooking hobby, which goes well beyond the borders of obsessive. BUT.... he IS a brilliant strategist, in his lucid moments and urges his men to quick action, if for no other reason than to stay clear of his menacing pair of power blades. by design or by accident, the Captain often has moments of incredible, inspiring bravery, leading from the front by example... even if he occasionally thinks he's killing Orks instead of Eldar.

This is like the 40k version of Twoflower :lol:

Archived