The Terminus Decree

Iron_Adam

In the new Grey Knights codex there is a part explaining the Terminus Decree as a document with the power to bring the Imperium to it's knees or save it in it's darkest hour.

What do you think is in it? Who wrote it(emperor or malcador)? And is it indicative of their faith In humanity?

From Lexicanum;

The Terminus Decree is an ancient parchment sealed within a wooden box and locked away within the Chamber of Purity on Titan making it a sacred relic to the Grey Knights Chapter. The instructions on this document is unknown and its existence is not present within any library of the Imperium. In fact, knowledge of the the Terminus Decree is known only to the Supreme Grand Masters of the Chapter who is the only person who knows how to open the box which resides in the locked tomb said to hold Malcador the Sigilite himself.

The contents of this document are not to be opened by the Supreme Grand Master except for when all hope for the future of humanity is lost. This is because the secrets within this artefact are so vast that it can either destroy the Imperium or save it in its darkest hour. However, the contents of the parchment known as the Terminus Decree is unknown except that the box that holds it contains a golden seal that matches that on the Emperor's Golden Throne. Thus, it serves as the ultimate sanction for the Grey Knights to be used as a last resort.

I know, the exact same thing is written in the codex word for word, but it doesn't answer any of my proposed discussion topics

My bad :P

I imagine that it's either some device that the Big E found (like the Golden Throne) or it's some bomb that'll cause the Galaxy to blow up/implode.

Disconnection from the golden throne makes the most sense IMO. Shuts off the astronomican, ending the ability for humans to use the warp, but maybe resurrecting the emperor star child theory, but I wonder why he left that to the grey knights? Surely the custodes would be more apt for this task, they are already there and first hand trust is better than second hand as I imagine the custodes would not like to receive this info from the grey knights at all

It's the HISTORY ERASER BUTTON, you fool!

Maybe something bad will happen... maybe something good... the world may never know, because the Grey Knights are going to guard it....

Hee. Aheeheehe... hee-aaaah!

;)

By the name, I would guess it's the order to terminate the Golden Throne. Grey Knights are already in the Solar System and are the only ones who could hack and hew their way through every defense between them and the palace. When the high lords figure out that the GK intend to unplug their legitimacy, you can bet they will do everything in their power to keep it from happening--including obliterating the Grey Knights, possibly the Ordo Malleus altogether. Awesome!

The name and the description certainly seem to support the idea that it will basically kill the Emperor, thus either dooming humanity or herlading His rebirth and their salvation.

I'm not really sure whether a reborn Emperor is something that I would like or not. Reading the HH books I'm touched by the tragedy of it all and how things could have been so much better if Horus hadn't ruined it all. Bringing Him back would kind of detract from that.

By the name, I would guess it's the order to terminate the Golden Throne. Grey Knights are already in the Solar System and are the only ones who could hack and hew their way through every defense between them and the palace. When the high lords figure out that the GK intend to unplug their legitimacy, you can bet they will do everything in their power to keep it from happening--including obliterating the Grey Knights, possibly the Ordo Malleus altogether. Awesome!

seconded ^^

If all the imperium is lost, then what have they got to lose? The only thing that could save the imperium is the BIG E back to the height of his powers.

It cant be Sensei/Illuminati related because the Emperor doesnt know about them or their plans, because if he did he might give up too early.

Though it could be the Emperor being reborn.

Though it would have to have been written when the Emperor had come back from fighting Horus and when he ordered Dorn to modify the GT, because otherwise he wouldnt have known he needed such a dangerous failsafe device.

I think Dorn wrote it.

I think Dorn wrote it.

perhaps it's signed by all the loyalist primarchs who were left in the aftermath of the heresy. I'm pretty sure they must've all met together on Terra at least once after the siege.

It activates a device that causes the star nearest to the planet Krypton to become unstable. The hope is that a guy named Jor-El who lives there will take a break from celebrating the recent birth of his son just long enough to notice.

Just ecasue its called the Terminus Decree doesnt mean that it is a command to unplug the Golden Throne. For instance, the Basel documentation doesnt exactly scream 'banking regulation' from the name, does it. Terminus decree could relate just as easily to the tim eit should be opened - the end of everything/the termination of the Imperium.

Just something to keep in mind, carry on...

Here is something to ponder: the Decree must be something that has massive costs and/or risks associated with it. If it was a powerful device with no real drawbacks, wouldn't you think it would have long been used? There must be a reason why it is not yet used - after all, who would hold his superweapon in reserve until the moment the enemy is breaking into his bunker, when that weapon could be used early enough to pummel the enemies into submission?

Here is something to ponder: the Decree must be something that has massive costs and/or risks associated with it. If it was a powerful device with no real drawbacks, wouldn't you think it would have long been used? There must be a reason why it is not yet used - after all, who would hold his superweapon in reserve until the moment the enemy is breaking into his bunker, when that weapon could be used early enough to pummel the enemies into submission?

That and only the Grey Knight Grand Master knows of this decree and what to do with it, and where is he again?

Archived