The Terminus Decree

Iron_Adam

I must agree with the idea that it will pull the plug on Empy's life support, which will lead either into Game Over for humanity or Starchild/ascension type of endgame and Victory. It really seems to fit those theories.

Then again, it's highly likely there's only the July 1976 issue of Hustler in the box. Put there by the Alpha Legion.

There is a major flaw in the whole terminus decree plot. If pn the Grand master of the GK's knows how to open the box.What happens if he unexpectantly dies and does not reveal his knowledge of the box.?

New GK Grand Master : So I was going through Bobs things, and i found this box?

GK high chaplain : no idea. maybe that wa his tobacco box.

New GK Grand master: Oh well."tosses box in a trash bin"

!00 yrs leater, Choas are sacking Terra. The Emperoror is sitting on the golden Throne waiting to be released, wondering where the @#% the GK Grand Master is, to come set his final act into play.

There are 8 grand masters, 1 for each of the brotherhoods, but the head is the supreme grand master. And HE is the one with the access to the terminus decree.

Also I'm willing to bet to open it is alot like the puzzle in the davinci code, only someone deserving or knowledgable or destined to can open it. I doubt it's somethIng as simple as 'password' written backwards, or a key under the monastery front door, doormat. It would be like divine intervention. Also I believe malcador wrote it, because he kinda had a better more practical view of what the imperium was going to become and what they needed in the future

I agree that The Terminus Decree is the order to terminate the Emperor's life.

At which point all the Grey Knights(which have all endured the soul-binding) will die and be absorbed by the Emperor. Thereby recreating the event of the shamans all dying in order to create the Emperor. Except on a much grander scale.

When I read about the Terminus Decree only two things came to mind:

"Oh good. The Emperor DID remember he'd need to die to be reborn."

and

"Oh, so the Knights've got Malcador in a little wooden box, eh?"

There's no question in my mind that those two things are true.

There may be a problem with the theory that the decree is the order to shut down the Golden Throne. The origin of the Terminus Decree could predate the Emperor's ascension; in fact, if it were written/created by the Emperor or Malcador, which I think is an assumption that makes some sense, then it must.

It seems likely to me that the Terminus Decree was given to the founders of the Grey Knights by Malcador and that it was written either by him or the Emperor himself. Think about what was happening at this time. The extent of Horus' treachery had just come to light and Terra was preparing for war. The high command probably knew that their strategic situation was poor and that Horus favored fast strikes to tear the heart out of the enemy. They likely anticipated that war would be coming to them soon enough and instead of evacuating the Imperial Palace, they chose to make their stand. Under these circumstances, Malcador founds the Grey Knights and the Inquisition. He does this to prevent corruption from affecting imperial institutions in the future, but he also gives the Grey Knights the Terminus Decree in case Horus prevails in the upcoming battle.

I think that version of the origin of the decree makes sense, but it's difficult to imagine what it might have done that could've saved the Imperium in the event that Horus had been victorious at the Siege of Terra. The only other clues we have are its name (Terminus) and the seal of the Golden Throne. The simplest interpretation of these two hints is that the decree includes instructions to either shut down the Golden Throne or use its power to do something else. It's only conceivable to me that the Imperium could be saved or destroyed by a single device or decree if it had something to do with the Emperor himself. Perhaps the decree is capable of repurposing the Golden Throne as a resurrection device or replicating its technology, but there are myriad problems with these possibilities as well.

To me it seems more likely that the story of the Terminus Decree actually is meant to insinuate the old fluff regarding the rebirth of the Emperor and that the whole story of what it does and where it came from (and most importantly, how those two things can possibly be consistent with one another) has not been thought through.

If the Emperor could be reborn then wouldn't the surviving primarchs just do, would save Russ alot of time rather than looking for a way to cure death in the warp.

It must be an order on how to kill the Emperor and somehow use his psychic might to banish chaos.

It's probably a transcript of the conversation at the beginning of the Inquisitor book. It takes place hours after the death of Horus and goes something like this:

New lord of admin: How badly is the Emperor hurt?

Fab General: Hanging by a thread.

proto-inquisition: can we fix him? Bring him back?

Master of assassins: we don't know exactly what we'd get back. Bad option.

Inq: Are you serious? He's the @#$%^ Emperor. Plug him in.

Master of Assassins: spare me. I have already spread the word that the Emperor is dead. This is what's best for everyone. Telling people he's alive at this point would just result in a schism--and we need unity right now, not divisiveness.

Lord General: What do we do then?

Admin: rule in his name, of course.

Master of Assassins: of course!

Inq: You guys are a bunch of degenerates. I'm out of here. Play your games, if you want. I serve the Emperor, not you.

Thus, the Imperium as we know it came to be.

here's a theory.

Assuming the box is in Malcador's tomb because he owned it, it can't be an imperial Do Not Resuscitate... if it were from before the attack on Horus's battle barge it would have been transferred to another before Malcador hopped on the golden throne, and after that Malcador was brain fried. However, if there were ever a moment where Malcador might receive orders for a doomsday contingency involving the golden throne, right before he was to sit on it while the Emperor went after Horus would be it.

In this case, the orders would be for if the Emperor lost and Terra fell to Horus. And the orders would be to open the portal into the collapsed web way tunnel, hopefully taking out Horus and his army as the planet goes down.

Ooorrr.... that or the note says "listen, if you're reading this, his nibs must have finally croaked. You're going to want to head over, daemons will be pouring into the basement already. Have your mates see to that, you get downstairs and take over that chair. Lucky thing there's a neighborhood clubhouse full of genehanced psychic daemon hunters, we'd have a bit of trouble resolving this otherwise."

The only problem with the Decree being a note from Malcador with a "how to" resurrect the Emperor, is that Malcador was plugged into the Throne during the Seige of Terra and was turned to dust when they unplugged him - which they did after the Emperor had been mortally wounded. So resurrection doesn't quite make sense, as we know the Emperor went onto Horus' battlebarge unable to forsee what would happen, so the resurrect from the Golden Throne is a bit too specific for them to have worked out beforehand.

Having said that, it doesn't say it was actually written by Malcador (or the Emperor). We know the Emperor could communicate from the Throne, so maybe He dictated the Decree to the first Supreme Grand Master (or one of the Primarchs), immediately after the Heresy. That might make more sense?

Malcador wasn't privy to the secrets of the golden throne was he? I thought in the books it stated that anyone who goes into the emperors labs to see what he's up to basically can't leave. Mostly so nothing of this invention can be leaked. So maybe Malcador had nothing to do with it. The only thing I can think of that could get in the way of that is that Titan disapeerd for however many years it takes to train a full chapter, in the warp, maybe Malcador spoke to something or saw something that led him to make the terminus decree ofhis own will.

Ok, so one of the most powerful psychic beings every to exist is sitting there one day and says 'huh, looks like Im going to sort-of die, and be encased somehow in the webway portal Ive been making to intern magnus into. Thats going to suuuck. I should probly have a shutdown system in place for when I need to get out. looks further Im not liking the look of this future, but if Im not in there things are even worse for humanity. Crap. Well, alright... Makes a key to shut the thing off, including life support to the one inside. Hands the box to Malcador- hey, keep that safe for me ok?"

He couldnt see how he was sent to death, or exactly why- this is a common thing in prophecy by the way- but he knew it would happen and he knew what would be done because as the emperor that was kind of his thing, eh?

So he does what needs to be done. He gives it to a guy who he trusts most and gives instructions to a man he knows- using prophecy- will be alive for 10,000 years. Whos that? The supreme grand master of the grey knights, thats who.

Frankly, as far as plans go its alot better than the whole 'hey horus, heres the keys- I gotta go change a lightbulb ok?' plan that ruined the great crusade.

Heck, if that doesnt suit then maybe he did it after he was interred during one of his lucid periods. Realising whats going on, and what will need to be done in the future, he consigns his soul to servitude for 10,000 years to try and salvage his shattered hopes for humanity. He tried to give them everything, and in the face of this ultimate betrayal, not just by horus but by the soul of the imperium, he retreats into his doomed position as the beacon of humanities light. Knowing that even then he cannot abandne his people he gives them a simple solution- at any time, should the need be dark enough, they can kill him so he may be reborn and save their hind-ends from ultimate destruction. Perhaps then, in the flames of near extinction he can try once more to forge them into the destiny he is driven to give them.

Malcador wasn't privy to the secrets of the golden throne was he? I thought in the books it stated that anyone who goes into the emperors labs to see what he's up to basically can't leave. Mostly so nothing of this invention can be leaked. So maybe Malcador had nothing to do with it. The only thing I can think of that could get in the way of that is that Titan disapeerd for however many years it takes to train a full chapter, in the warp, maybe Malcador spoke to something or saw something that led him to make the terminus decree ofhis own will.

I think Malcador was allowed to know what was going on, the HH artbook says so I think.

I think Malcador was allowed to know what was going on, the HH artbook says so I think.

I'm pretty sure Malcador is allowed to do pretty much anything he damn well pleases. :HQ:

He's the gorram Regent Of Terra.

Basically, for all those people who claim to bear the full authority of The Emperor, it's nonsense. Only Malcador actually ever has.

When The Emperor didn't feel like talking to people, Malcador was his voice.

When The Emperor had other things to do, Malcador was his proxy.

When The Emperor wasn't around, Malcador effectively WAS The Emperor.

But yea, there's no reason The Emperor couldn't have written the Terminus Decree.

There was a period of time between being recovered from the Vengeful Spirit and taking his place on the Golden Throne when he was conscious. It's was during this time that he instructed those present how to convert the Throne into a life support system and, presumably, he could've been conscious long enough during their conversion efforts to write the Terminus Decree and instruct one of his Custodians to have it put on Titan when they entombed Malcador.

OR Malcador ending up entombed on Titan was a side effect of the Terminus Decree being placed there.... After all, having the box on hand seems logical, since obviously there would've been people working to gather Malcador's ashes into some manner of receptacle.

And having the seal that only appears on The Emperor's "tomb" repeated on the "tomb" of Malcador makes perfect sense since he was the Regent Of Terra, and very likely The Emperor's very closest and most trusted friend (and, in several theories, possibly either his most powerful son (one of the Sensei) or even his brother).

contents of this document are not to be opened by the Supreme Grand Master except for when all hope for the future of humanity is lost. This is because the secrets within this artefact are so vast that it can either destroy the Imperium or save it in its darkest hour.

Your looking at this all wrong guys ! Think outside the box !

I think its the fireing button for the I.D.E in matt wards car !

I may be mistaking, but wasnt there something in the Lightning tower about Malcador being worried about the amount of resources and people basically disapeering in the Emperor's lab. When I listened to it I kind of got the idea that he wasn't really apprised of the goings on. Even though he is the regent of terra, and he is the agent of the Emperor, he isn't the Emperor; I'm not saying he was oblivious, but I feel that he was inadvertently kept in the dark of what was being done to the web way.

If I had a a transcript of the book it would be much easier to follow, i get too distracted when trying to listen to the audio versions of the books, but the above was my interpretation in relation to the information of the lightning tower

I would say it is the 'shut the throne off' command. It will either resurrect the Emperor (for good or bad who knows) or kill him and royally mess up the Imperium and galaxy. It is so dangerous because no one knows the consequences of what it would do..

The name and the description certainly seem to support the idea that it will basically kill the Emperor, thus either dooming humanity or herlading His rebirth and their salvation.

I'm not really sure whether a reborn Emperor is something that I would like or not. Reading the HH books I'm touched by the tragedy of it all and how things could have been so much better if Horus hadn't ruined it all. Bringing Him back would kind of detract from that.

What if the Big E is reborn then maybe he'd come back not as powerful, kinda like Nagash.

Archived