The "must have" scene

There are a few scenes I would love to see in an HH movie, taken from the book series.

1. Angron and Kharns' "meeting"

2. Magnus desperation after breaking through his fathers wards to contact him

3. The Alpha Legions turning after realizing what will occur if mankind achieves dominion over the galaxy

4. Anything with Dies Irae in it.

The guardsman wasn't really important, but it was used to demonstrate just how far Horus had fallen - and the limits of the Emperor's powers.
Maybe whoever walked in was supposed to be an allegory for Horus and by tearing him apart Horus demonstrate he was no longer the man he was?

Yes i know why Horus did it, but its awful, thats why it was retconned.

Can't argue with a retcon as it has effectively erased Pius from 40k current lore.

What's been retconned before can be retconned back. So far since I brought it up the prevaling opinion of the posters here is Ollanius' demise was far more moving/badass than generic one dimensional Fist/Custode of your choice and that GW were wrong to retcon him out of existence. Who knows, several BL authors are known or suspected to visit these pages and Emperor knows who else from high up in GW so you never know, if enough of us make a fuss then we might get to see Ollanius make a come back when they finally get around to writting the Siege of Terra. Long odds I know but Ollanius faced longer ;)

What's been retconned before can be retconned back.

Oh definately, thats why i said;

Can't argue with a retcon as it has effectively erased Pius from 40k current lore.

Bloody well hope Pius stays locked in the "useless" box, never to see the light of day again though. ;)

You bloody well can. There's nothing that enables GW to force you into believing their side of the story. In these postmodern times dilluted by retcons and reboots a concept like "canon" is mostly meaningless. You can stomp your little feet about Pius not being there, pushing his sack around with a wheebarrow, and how GW's "canon" is what matters, but that doesn't necessarily make it so for other people. What you take in as the truth differs from mine, just because your version is backed up by something as meaningless as IP laws doesn't make your opinion on this any more valid.

"Canon" is what you make of it. :)

There are a few scenes I would love to see in an HH movie, taken from the book series.

4. Anything with Dies Irae in it.

If i had to pick a scene with Dies Irae, it would have to be when it kicks the building that the Mournival is using for it's final showdown.

"Canon" is what you make of it. :P

I’ve always wondered what it is about the fiction of the 40k universe that makes people so protective of the 'canon', if protective is the right word that is. It’s treated by some as holy writ, kind of like how Star Trek or Star Wars fans try to make everything fit together right.

You see I’m more used to thinking of the 40k Universe in the same way I think of the Forgotten Realms, or Greyhawk or any of the other myriad D&D settings, were the canon is a starting point and something I can alter if it is conflicting with what I want to do for an army and rewrite that particular forces personal canon.

An example of this would be the Blood Angels, I don’t personally like the full body gold armour of the Sanguinary Guard, Sanguinor and Dante, so if I was to paint an army and use these models then they would be painted red with gold helmets and that would be the ‘new canon’ for that army.

Fluff provides the foundation for the fictional universe in which we play and we are lucky in that Games Workshop has invested a lot of creative energy in creating quite a substantial world. However it's your army. Your Models. Your Money. Paint it how you want, model it how you want and play it how you want. The canon should be used to inspire your creativity as a hobbyist not hobble it.

tl;dr

Don't let the official canon stop you from doing what you want.

What you take in as the truth differs from mine, just because your version is backed up by something as meaningless as IP laws doesn't make your opinion on this any more valid.

I think GW would argue that.

You can waddle around and spout the "heroic" self sacrifice of Pius as much as you like but if GW say something does not exist in their universe, something particular, then it does not exist.

You can waddle around and spout the "heroic" self sacrifice of Pius as much as you like but if GW say something does not exist in their universe, something particular, then it does not exist.

You might want to conform to the whims of GW when it comes to your 40K gaming, but there's no reason for anyone else to do so. "B...b...but GW says so!" To that there is only one reasonable answer: so what? Being "owner" of an IP doesn't matter zilch in this time and age. It's up to each fan and each fan alone to decide if they want to bow down to GW or stand tall and think for themselves.

Ps. Inquisition War is still the best 40K fiction ever published.

Pps. I've been thrown out of a GW store for trying to buy squats.

You might want to conform to the whims of GW when it comes to your 40K gaming, but there's no reason for anyone else to do so. "B...b...but GW says so!" To that there is only one reasonable answer: so what? Being "owner" of an IP doesn't matter zilch in this time and age. It's up to each fan and each fan alone to decide if they want to bow down to GW or stand tall and think for themselves.

I couldn't care less about what GW says and does but just now Pius doesn't exist. Thats all i am saying. He could come back, who knows.

In the Dark Heresy splatbook Blood of Martyrs, it mentions that he is the most revered of all warrior-saints of the Imperial Guard- and that thousands of regiments have shrines to him.

That said- it's also mentioned that its possible he's a compilation of the virtues of Guardsmen, and may not have actually existed (and that the Imperial Fists have their own version of his story in which it was a Fist that sacrificed themselves to stop a deadly blow aimed at the Emperor by a traitor).

The thing is, why the hell was Pius, a guardsmen with a lasgun (i.e a flashlight) part of the Emperor's entourage and how the hell did he survive through the ship infested with traitor marines and daemons?

He is a cool guy, but the idea is twee and creates more problems than it solves.

Or just move the Pius incident to a different point in the Heresy. There are apparently lots of versions of the Pius story- none of which are considered canon by the Ministorum.

The important parts in the Blood of Martyrs description- was that it was a traitor trying to kill the Emperor, and Pius sacrificing his life to stop him- that traitor doesn't absolutely have to be Horus, on the Vengeful Spirit, at the Siege of Terra.

• 3 weeks later...
They need to put in where the WB have to kneel in the ashes of Monarchia in front of the Big E. That'd be sweet. Lorgar hitting Malcador then screaming tothe heavens when he realises who is about to teleport down to the surface.

Ferrus Manus being slain by Fulgrim. In my opinion, that moment really symbolises what the Heresy was about; the closest of brothers torn apart by allegiances and misguided loyalties. And when Fulgrim severs his head, you can tell there was a moment when the always stone faced Ferrus is on the verge of tears and you can see, in the pupils of Fulgrim's eyes, the real Fulgrim raging and weeping.

In my opinion, that was the moment when there was no going back. When the blood of a Primarch is spilled, that's the final straw.

Ferrus Manus being slain by Fulgrim. In my opinion, that moment really symbolises what the Heresy was about; the closest of brothers torn apart by allegiances and misguided loyalties. And when Fulgrim severs his head, you can tell there was a moment when the always stone faced Ferrus is on the verge of tears and you can see, in the pupils of Fulgrim's eyes, the real Fulgrim raging and weeping.

In my opinion, that was the moment when there was no going back. When the blood of a Primarch is spilled, that's the final straw.

Excellently put, you really have the theme of that scene exact. But why do you have to keep rubbing salt into my wound about Ferrus' death, why oh why curse you....

But Fulgrim wasn't yet possessed at the time he was duelling Ferrus Manus, was he. It wasn't until after murdering his brother that he allowed the Daemon to flow into his mind, i might be mistaken though.

Fulgrim is essentially the most wretched of all traitor Primarchs... HA! Serves that arrogant peacock right, have some moral discipline you purple dressing fool, that's what I would tell Fulgrim and then die happily enduring his wrath.

Actually we ought to start a thread concerning which traitor Primarch is to be most detested. *spits on floor whispering "Fulgrim" *

Actually we ought to start a thread concerning which traitor Primarch is to be most detested. *spits on floor whispering "Fulgrim" *

NO!

dont even think of such a topic!

for if one like this arises, and somebody speaks ill of Guilliman in any fashion, a enraged Legatus will appear and smother the topic in posts of how Guilliman was the greatest primarch in every way.

please, dont make us suffer more of that.

WLK

Archived