Barbarossa Crusade Army Project

madmatt

and the results show tutorials painting green lenses 9 times out of 10. Don't assume that people haven't tried google just because they asked a question man, that isn't cool. Some of us are not as talented in painting technique or color wheel blending/match-ups as our more talented brothers; so asking for help shouldn't be discouraged with a snarky website link.

There's a Tutorial section on this forum which is there exactly for questions like this (I highly doubt that there is no tutorial for red lens glow). And I was not trying to discourage you from asking, but as Madmatt said, he posts tutorials yet no-one seems to read them and ask for them again and again (and he did post one about the red lens glow).

Anyway, just to help out, I got this recipe from Mr. Malevolent. I hope it helps.

Hey!

No problem explaining my technique at all.

I basically started with a sloppy base coat of Scab Red on the eye and the surrounding area, no need to be precise.

Then I highlighted the eye itself with Red Gore like normal and then the edges of the surrounding area.

Tightening up the highlights I went with Blood Red again on the eye and then again the edges of the surrounding areas.

A quick small highlight of Blazing Orange again focusing on the upper most edges.

Then a very small highlight of White at the highest/center edges. Just a small dab nothing crazy.

You can then wash the very farthest edges of the glow with a wash of the base color of the armor. So for example with my Ultramarines I used Asurman Blue watered down to tone down the edges and give it a more natural look.

You can also do a slight watered wash of Baal Red to the eyes around the 2nd or 3rd step (I didn't have any at the time when I did my Ultras)

The biggest thing to remember is to just experiment and have fun with it. And keep the highlighting on the edges around the eyes towards the eye where the light is coming from.

Hope this helps.

Ludovic

And I was not trying to discourage you from asking, but as Madmatt said, he posts tutorials yet no-one seems to read them and ask for them again and again (and he did post one about the red lens glow).

Y'know- I reread the thread last night and the "tutorial" you all are mentioning is does not follow the formatting at all of his other tutorials in the thread which were broken up into seperately headed areas complete with pictures: i.e. how he did his black armor. It would be incredibly easy to overlook such a post in a 100+ post topic. Mea Culpa, but I can see where the confusion came in, not just for myself but for other posters who inquired into the same.

Y'know- I reread the thread last night and the "tutorial" you all are mentioning is does not follow the formatting at all of his other tutorials in the thread which were broken up into seperately headed areas complete with pictures: i.e. how he did his black armor. It would be incredibly easy to overlook such a post in a 100+ post topic. Mea Culpa, but I can see where the confusion came in, not just for myself but for other posters who inquired into the same.

Well I'm glad you found it in the end and I apologise for any harshness that you saw in my words. And yes, I can now see how it all got into this confused little mess :)

Ludovic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Posted · Hidden by Acebaur, November 25, 2014 - threadnomancy
Hidden by Acebaur, November 25, 2014 - threadnomancy

Threadromancing witch!  Burn!  Burn I say!

For future reference, with a thread this old...or even half this old...it's better to just PM the person.  But his profile says the last time he logged in was in October 2012, so I don't imagine you'll get a response either way.  

Archived