Barbarossa Crusade Army Project

madmatt

Stunning. Such a drab color scheme yet so fitting, really makes them stand out; Not totally keen on the blood however. The entire army is just beautiful.

The contemptor... just wow, I would be worried to see that on a table - so menacing...

I'm loving the level of detail you've given every single model; things that are usually overlooked, such as a small buckle on a neophyte for instance, have still been given your attention and just really makes them that much better!

By far, this is my favorite mini of yours - just so dominating and badass despite being just an initiate: http://666kb.com/i/buduqdy5r001344o6.jpg

A few questions though:

1) What size/scale is the chain used on the terminators; Where'd you get it from?

2) The skulls used on your bases, where are they from?

3) Who did your terminator tabards? I'm going to need a pro to do some chaplain sculpting and your sculptor is clearly a master ;)

3a) After reading through VERY carefully, I noticed your link to the sculptor, but there's no way to contact him :(

4) Do you use metallics or NMM? For instance, the gold on your Emperor's Champion's left shoulder pad looks NMM, but the sword hilt looks metallic.

Again, epic work! Can't wait to see more.

If i were to dig real deep and find 1 point of critique on the castellan, its that he doesn't really stand out between the rest of the squad. Other then his weapon combination he could just be another terminator. I do love your work, don't get me wrong, but i feel like he needs something special. :(

By far, this is my favorite mini of yours - just so dominating and badass despite being just an initiate:

http://666kb.com/i/buduqdy5r001344o6.jpg

A few questions though:

1) What size/scale is the chain used on the terminators; Where'd you get it from?

2) The skulls used on your bases, where are they from?

3) Who did your terminator tabards? I'm going to need a pro to do some chaplain sculpting and your sculptor is clearly a master ;)

3a) After reading through VERY carefully, I noticed your link to the sculptor, but there's no way to contact him :(

4) Do you use metallics or NMM? For instance, the gold on your Emperor's Champion's left shoulder pad looks NMM, but the sword hilt looks metallic.

Again, epic work! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks. If you love that initiate, you´ll love my second Kastellan, actually the one who was intended to become Kastellan first. The Termi Kastellan is primarily intended as a nicer looking "standard" hammer & shield termi. My sculptor-chap is about to make a Terminator conversion for a Marshall. Marshall Richard and he will be my black Templars Version of Richard Lionheart. Well, I know Lion and stuff is a typical thing for the Dark Angels (unfortunately, but when he´ll be painted, I think nobody will care about that any longer, I hope)...He´ll be a badass of a mini wearing a long cloak similay to the Grey Knight Master, but by far cooler, not needing to take cover behind a shield as he is a real leader and wielding a two handed relic sword... Ahhh, I´m being taken away by the thought of the mini. Should be ready to be painted by X-Mas though I fear it will be spring before I really paint him.

Now to your questions:

-> chains: there´s a german webshop called "battlefield berlin" where you can buy them. They´re called "ankerketten". Sorry, but can´t remember their exact size. Just have a look on the net for chains for miniature boats.

-> Skulls: ebay is your friend. Pretty cheap. I used the GW skulls before but these are by far better... The shipping was pretty quick as well. Good buy.

-> Tabards: Gregor isn´t cheap. But he is one of the best. The quality is worth the money, otherwise I wouldn´t ask him to do anymore conversions for me as I´m a very critical customer... :-) Send me a PM and I´ll give you his e-mail-address :-)

-> Metals: Well, I don´t like the looks of NMM on my minis. Looks good but doesn´t fit my hopefully more realistic approach of painting. Nevertheless I use certain elements of NMM as I mix my metallic colors with normal colors for example burnished gold + a drop of bleached bone for the base color, than I wash it with dark soothy brown-black color stuff, put on some highlights with the base color, add some white to the mix for the highest peaks, wash again with a mix of ogryn flesh and delan mudd and then lend it some more depth with a devlan mud & badab Black mix to the shadowy areas... I hate painting gold and in fact I don´t I prefer some kind of bronze optic :-) Don´t like it shiny. For steel I add various grey tones. Sorry, don´t really have recipes as I always mix my colors as I feel that day (like a little boy happily playing in the mud.)

Well, I should return to my painting desk I´m about to paint Brother Reclusiarch Hektor in his ancient Terminator armor. The worst is over: highlighting and adjusting the light reflexes. Took me about 5 hours today as I somehow was too anxious and messed it up several times. Now it looks nice. he should be finished by tomorrow noon. But I´ll only share a black-white pic with you, as he´ll be one of my highlights for the upcoming in "tabletop insider" next december. There´ll also be a painting tutorial for him. I´ll post some coloured pix of him on Christmas Eve... I promise!

Thanks. If you love that initiate, you´ll love my second Kastellan, actually the one who was intended to become Kastellan first. The Termi Kastellan is primarily intended as a nicer looking "standard" hammer & shield termi. My sculptor-chap is about to make a Terminator conversion for a Marshall. Marshall Richard and he will be my black Templars Version of Richard Lionheart. Well, I know Lion and stuff is a typical thing for the Dark Angels (unfortunately, but when he´ll be painted, I think nobody will care about that any longer, I hope)...He´ll be a badass of a mini wearing a long cloak similay to the Grey Knight Master, but by far cooler, not needing to take cover behind a shield as he is a real leader and wielding a two handed relic sword... Ahhh, I´m being taken away by the thought of the mini. Should be ready to be painted by X-Mas though I fear it will be spring before I really paint him.

Now to your questions:

-> chains: there´s a german webshop called "battlefield berlin" where you can buy them. They´re called "ankerketten". Sorry, but can´t remember their exact size. Just have a look on the net for chains for miniature boats.

-> Skulls: ebay is your friend. Pretty cheap. I used the GW skulls before but these are by far better... The shipping was pretty quick as well. Good buy.

-> Tabards: Gregor isn´t cheap. But he is one of the best. The quality is worth the money, otherwise I wouldn´t ask him to do anymore conversions for me as I´m a very critical customer... :-) Send me a PM and I´ll give you his e-mail-address :-)

-> Metals: Well, I don´t like the looks of NMM on my minis. Looks good but doesn´t fit my hopefully more realistic approach of painting. Nevertheless I use certain elements of NMM as I mix my metallic colors with normal colors for example burnished gold + a drop of bleached bone for the base color, than I wash it with dark soothy brown-black color stuff, put on some highlights with the base color, add some white to the mix for the highest peaks, wash again with a mix of ogryn flesh and delan mudd and then lend it some more depth with a devlan mud & badab Black mix to the shadowy areas... I hate painting gold and in fact I don´t I prefer some kind of bronze optic :-) Don´t like it shiny. For steel I add various grey tones. Sorry, don´t really have recipes as I always mix my colors as I feel that day (like a little boy happily playing in the mud.)

Well, I should return to my painting desk I´m about to paint Brother Reclusiarch Hektor in his ancient Terminator armor. The worst is over: highlighting and adjusting the light reflexes. Took me about 5 hours today as I somehow was too anxious and messed it up several times. Now it looks nice. he should be finished by tomorrow noon. But I´ll only share a black-white pic with you, as he´ll be one of my highlights for the upcoming in "tabletop insider" next december. There´ll also be a painting tutorial for him. I´ll post some coloured pix of him on Christmas Eve... I promise!

Thankyou SO MUCH! I've been searching every corner of the internet for a size of chain that makes sense on a mini, they're usually too large.

Much love!

http://666kb.com/i/bw0aed4me5ips7kjz.jpg

Senex Antiquus Frater Tankred

(basecoated :-)

http://666kb.com/i/bylly8ywd118acgir.jpg

I built this guy in November 2010 and it was meant to be painted by my mentor Dante. After our painting session in Ferbruary 2011 when he showed me how to paint Templars, he encouraged me to try myself on the dreadnought. Well, first I was afraid of the modell, so I painted up dreadnought Wilhelm and then the Forgeworld Chaplain Dread. After that I fealt ready to paint Tankred but couldn´t withstand painting Dreadnought Karl and Contemptor Dreadnought Siegfried first. As my oldest Templar miniature and my only unpainted dreadnought left I feel it´s latest time to get him onto the painting desk and thus finish my "Templars-to-be-painted-before-December-1st"-list...

My Question:

Would you prefer seeing some WIPs here or would you prefer wainting for the final result?

:P

Every work in progress shot that you have put up has given a lot of insight into your painting process, which in turn has helped me (and I know others) improve their painting technique. And that just means more and more really rediculously good-looking templars will start showing up on the tabletops!

well my Relic Contermptor and Dreadnought Drop Pod arrived, time to start assembling. Seriously thinking about using your idea with the sword for when he is only DCCW and gun. I am guessing it is the Dreadknight sword?

Thought about using a big sheild as well, the model looks mobile enough to pull it off unlike the normal dreads. Do you think the BT FW Storm shields would be big enough?

LOVING your army!

-Dono

Contemptor with dreadknight sword and shield would look awesome bro, but a termie storm shield wouldn't even be close to big enough, you'd probably want something closer to the height of a standard dreadnought to look effective (think plasticard in multiple layers :tu:)

\m/

Looking great Matt :)

I am loving the monochrome scheme on the chassis with colors and contrasts only added through the embellishments. There can be too much "sports uniform" over how some people plan color schemes, and I really dig how you you seem to be in the opposite camp. With nuances picked up via value and tone rather than epileptic leaps in hue.

Thanks for sharing ;)

-T14

It´s the beginning of a new era for me that I´d like to share with you...

The first actual tutorial video will be presented to you within the next 10 days!

It´s the standard head for the ven dread.

Just finished: Kastellan Hermann

http://666kb.com/i/bydq3xdeg4gf2sxqf.jpg

Fantastic!!!!

I am just in love with this model. It is just everything that Black Templars are in a model...

If we don't get Power Sword and Storm shield terminators..... ;)

Archived