The Primarchs - Artwork

Nikt208

I'm a little sad that I can't see Sanguinius' wings.

It is a great picture, but my primarch is in the back, and some of his defining features are hidden :/

I am glad to finally see Dorne and Khan though :P

I would have loved to see more detail of Sanguinius as well, but as someone mentioned before being in the back shows his humility. I really liked that explanation because it is really fitting.

True!

I'm not seeing the epicness

honestly in my 31 years of life 40K has some of the most epic characters, and these are The Primarchs! Searching the web I'm not the only one that feels it is a bit odd. When you have a picture in your mind for a long time and then see that you are like ;)?

I hate on myself though, I'm an art critic.

Isn't it possible that Sanguinius might dye his hair.

Nope.

Why?

Even Slaanesh influenced Fulgrim did not resort to such drastic cosmetic alteration. Sanguinius would never do such a thing.

Sisters of Battle dye their hair, why Sanguinius can't?

Sanguinius's hair, he has already been shown to be a quite dramatic guy in terms of appearance in the HH series (painted tears after murder etc) so why would he not dye his hair?

This is what I gathered. I would think that some of the primarchs (Sanguinius, Fulgrim, and Lorgar in particular) would suggest their moods using their appearence if that makes sense.

Well, even before the artwork for the Horus Heresy, EVERYTHING with sanguinius (as in their chapter banners and their mosaics) had him with Blonde hair.

I don't see him dieing his hair either, because he was a humble primarch, humble people don't care much for their hair color, I don't think.

RE: Sanguinius's hair, he has already been shown to be a quite dramatic guy in terms of appearance in the HH series (painted tears after murder etc) so why would he not dye his hair?

Well, Sanguinius painted those tears because he genuinely was grieving for the loss of his angels. I'm not even sure primarchs can legitimately cry, so what better symbol for grief than what a normal man would do when sad? How very angelic of him, essentially a demi-god, to want tears, a very lowly human action.

I don't see him dying his hair in the same manner. Changing his "Emperor-given" image is a vain act, which the Angel wouldn't do on purpose. Someone probably dumped black paint on his head at Ullanor.

I don't see him dying his hair in the same manner. Changing his "Emperor-given" image is a vain act, which the Angel wouldn't do on purpose. Someone probably dumped black paint on his head at Ullanor.

Mortarion's idea for a practical joke.

It's the only logical explanation!

Why are people so resistant to the thought of Sangy dyeing his hair? C'mon, he is beauty incarnate with a golden armor and angel wings, and has been repeatedly described as using make up to express his mood. Saying that he didn't care for his outer appearance is like saying Angron didn't care for battle. Is hair-dyeing destroying some mental image of stereotypical manliness? If you want that, look for Leman Russ. Sanguinius has more in his mind than just the next battle, it's what makes him so sympathetic. Why shouldn't he care for his hair colour?

There is the distinct possibility he could change his appearance to a degree like Magnus

As for the picture itself I really dont like it. Does nothing to show the epicness of the Primarchs. Also whats up with the face on horus and why does magnus look like a troll

Why are people so resistant to the thought of Sangy dyeing his hair? C'mon, he is beauty incarnate with a golden armor and angel wings, and has been repeatedly described as using make up to express his mood. Saying that he didn't care for his outer appearance is like saying Angron didn't care for battle. Is hair-dyeing destroying some mental image of stereotypical manliness? If you want that, look for Leman Russ. Sanguinius has more in his mind than just the next battle, it's what makes him so sympathetic. Why shouldn't he care for his hair colour?

He wore some ceremonial make up. It does not imply that he always puts make up on.

Nor did I claim that. Why is hair-dyeing a step further than wearing make-up? If he wants to be blonde for parade X, but black haired for ceremony Y, it takes only insignificantly more time to dye your hair than to paint tears in your face. Hair dyeing in M2 is not rocket science, so I assume hair-dyeing in M31 is not rocket science as well.

Now seriously, we have explicit fluff pieces describing him as blonde, and explicit fluff pieces describing him as black haired. Yet people fight the thought tooth and nail that he could simply dye them, which is clearly the most obvious answer and I simply do not understand why they do. In what way does it run counter to his characterization in the fluff or the mental image of him in our minds when he dyes his hair?

Nor did I claim that. Why is hair-dyeing a step further than wearing make-up? If he wants to be blonde for parade X, but black haired for ceremony Y, it takes only insignificantly more time to dye your hair than to paint tears in your face. Hair dyeing in M2 is not rocket science, so I assume hair-dyeing in M31 is not rocket science as well.

Now seriously, we have explicit fluff pieces describing him as blonde, and explicit fluff pieces describing him as black haired. Yet people fight the thought tooth and nail that he could simply dye them, which is clearly the most obvious answer and I simply do not understand why they do. In what way does it run counter to his characterization in the fluff or the mental image of him in our minds when he dyes his hair?

Because altering one's appearance for cosmetic purposes is usually seen - at the most basic level - as effeminate, pointless, or a compensation for some flaw. A lot of people complain that it's "weak" or "uncharacterful" for a primarch to care about (or even notice) such things. Yet more examples of why the 40K fandom (thankfully, with no examples in this thread) can come across as relatively immature. Some readers will complain and mock any emotion shown, or any sensitivity, or any behaviour less than stereotypically "manly". Usually younger readers, admittedly.

This came up in a Heresy meeting once, actually. Even we didn't agree on it. Me, Dan and Graham said it was cooler if Sanguinius had black hair, for various reasons. Jim preferred Sanguinius with blond hair. Ultimately, I think Jim's preference won out, as he'd reserved the Blood Angels at Signus Prime novel, and the older art showed the primarch as blond, too.

I think it would be a cool twist if before Signus Prime when he was still "Pure" he had Blonde hair.

Once defeated by the Bloodthirster and the Rage strikes the Angels for the first time it turns to scary Black.

Now the flaw is in them they have the Black hair. Just an idea

I think it would be a cool twist if before Signus Prime when he was still "Pure" he had Blonde hair.

Once defeated by the Bloodthirster and the Rage strikes the Angels for the first time it turns to scary Black.

Now the flaw is in them they have the Black hair. Just an idea

I would have no problem with that. Just casually switching between blond and black to feel beautific would be Slaaneshy.

Again, no one claimed he switches for beautific reasons. We don't know the reason. It is not even officially stated that he does it at all. It's just what we must assume if we look for an in-universe explanation for his switching hair colours. He was shown with blonde hair in the artwork of him slain at Horus' feet, so the before and after Signus approach would not work without retconning stuff.

I can only say that Sanguinius' open emotionality is what sets him apart and makes him so popular among his fellow primarchs as well as in the real world fandom. He uses his outfit to show his current mood, and if hair dyeing is part of that, I don't see how that makes him effiminate, Slaaneshi or whatever.

He uses his outfit to show his current mood, and if hair dyeing is part of that, I don't see how that makes him effiminate, Slaaneshi or whatever.

Neither do I. But if it was true, a lot of people would see it that way. Not all forums are as nice and mature as this one. The words "gay", "emo" and "girly" are chucked around by kids a lot of the time for any character behaving in a fashion less than ultra-manly. Just one of those things, and the principal reason I've seen it objected to in other places.

The guy is the Michael of 40K. He can kill you with whatever color hair he pleases.

Symbolically, Gabriel was always meant to be the fairer of the two, so why would God's executioner not have hair that is the color of death. Does hair color even have an effect on the character? Would Han Solo be less cool as a Blonde? Would Darth Vader be less menacing if his suit was Crimson? Color only has an effect on perception to an extent but ultimately a fictional characters actions make them badass or weak.

Sanguinius has blue eyes right? I'm starting to like the idea of a black haired, blue eyed primarch. I've always wanted blue eyes...

Anyway, dying his hair might work... but I'm still shaky on the reasoning behind it.

Symbolically, Gabriel was always meant to be the fairer of the two, so why would God's executioner not have hair that is the color of death. Does hair color even have an effect on the character? Would Han Solo be less cool as a Blonde? Would Darth Vader be less menacing if his suit was Crimson? Color only has an effect on perception to an extent but ultimately a fictional characters actions make them badass or weak.

Yes, but, how annoying would it be if in Empire Strikes Back Han was blonde and Vader wore a crimson suit?

Archived