The Primarchs - Artwork

Nikt208

I think inconsistensies in fluff, retcons and weird old ideas that doesn´t fit the newer stories adds alot to the feeling that 30k was a long time ago and nobody really knows. Even in the 40k setting i like it. The imperium is a vast organisation very much based on propaganda and indoctrination and secrecy about the real state of things. Nobody really knows anyhing and I think GWs very much "organic" fluff helps portrayin that.

I don't know... Angron is kind of growing on me. I like the image of the overmuscled kick-boxer rather than kind of an ungainly towering behemoth (that is for a Primarch - I'm sure he'll be way bigger than regular Marines let alone ordinary humans). Also in this picutre he is placed next to Magnus so his modest size might be a not-so-succesful attempt for relative scale (since Magnus was a Giant). Of course he also looks kind of small compared to virtually all other Primarchs hence the "not-so-successful" comment.

But even so, I can live with that. It's a twist. I mean we are always associating size with might in the 40k Universe, how about the aforementioned kick boxer archetype? Very muscled. very strong, very fast. very vicious and with a couple of chainaxes to boot! Yeah, I got no problem with that! It is also kind of gladiatorial. And frankly if it clashes with previous stuff, this is a retcon I could happily live with. (not saying that this picture is a retcon in itself - it could be a one-off depiction based on the artist's skill and vision - but I really don't mind it).

My only real complaint about this picture is Lorgar due to he's plainess I guess...

The only prob with that is states in the Heresy that Angron is at least as tall as Horus....

The only prob with that is states in the Heresy that Angron is at least as tall as Horus....

Agreed. But Horus looks kind of huge in this picture (I know he was supposed to be a big guy but still...) and Magnus although big does not look like a giant (unless you compare him only to Angron). It could be the perspective but I think the artist got relative sizes wrong... In any case as I said retconning the physical size of Angron won't keep me awake at nights - so long as they pronounce is combat/gladitorial skills to make him like iron mike but with a couple of chainaxes to boot!

I now know my Angron was so angry all the time he was a little guy. so cute just want to give him a hug.

http://www.askthetrucker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/little-tough-guy.jpg

or

http://www.gifttree.com/images/large/6262c_Little-Devil.jpg

?

Unless I am mistaken, I believe that in A Thousand Sons, Magnus is not described as having red skin. And his size was also relative to his mood (from the perspective of his chief librarian Ahriman"

I like to think of the art of 40k as being an important part of the stories being told. To add in a Easter egg type "wink" seems very appropriate. To me it is more of a nod. His head is turned in a different direction then any of his brothers says that he is distracted. If a picture is worth a thousand words then where Magnus is looking could be important. It could be he is looking at some thing no one else can see (spirit) or that the object is insignificant to his brothers (cherub servitor or bird). To me the kind of thing that would capture Magnus's attention is likely to be in the spirit world. Other then the exchange between Horus an Fulgrim and Angron's grasp on the balcony, I see Magnus's gaze to be the most dynamic part of the picture. Fulgrim and Sanguinius having their hair blow in the wind is interesting (they clearly have the same barber), as is the gas escaping from Mortarion's hood. I don't think Magnus looking at Angron would add anything to the story. They all know well that Angron has rage issues.... he probably dose this kind of thing all the time.

Magnus' look is clearly directed at Angron, the 'dark' of his eye occupying the rightmost side and his face clearly displaying annoyance and condescendence. The flashing display of sorcery is more symbolic than anything, showing how Magnus kept using his psyker skills at his leisure and with little caution.

I see no problem with Sanguinius changing his hair colour through psychic or physical means. Fulgrim wore make-up at his meeting with the Eldar and the whole Imperium revels in displays, be it of force or glory. Some Space Marine armours are made by artisans for a reasons.

Magnus's "great eye" is described as changing color, very often. And brilliant, bright colors.

It's black and white, here. Or dark brown and white. Still, assuming the light area is the pupil, he'd be looking down, at the crowd, at the spell he's weaving, etc. He's certainly not looking at the viewer. The closer I can remember to the 4th wall breaking in 40K was when Curze told El'Jonson that he'd be remembered as a traitor, in ADB's short story in Age of Darkness. And that was a perfectly "hermetic" reference, even then, perfectly understandable even without the 4ht-wall thing.

Personally, I like the depiction of most of them. Humble Sanguinius, creepy Mortarion, pensive Magnus, the regal Khan, Lorgar watching on in disdain at the opulence (he's a bit plain, but I think that goes perfectly with the whole religious guy-thing, again, down with opulence), Dorn with his heart swelling in pride at the imperial glory passing by. Horus and Fulgrim conniving, I like that, although I think Fulgrim looks a bit weird here. Too evil, too sneaky. After all, isn't he the ostentaceous one?

My only problem is Angron. I saw him there and my first thought was "FOR THE GNOME KING!" Second thought was "Please tell me that's not Angron!". Bending over or not bending over, he looks short and deformed. His face looks like a bloodletters', and why is he red? Did the others lock him up in a tanning salon and then crank up the juice, to see how angry he can get? And why is he bald? I would at least have expected some hair... To me, that's a fail, but it doesn't substract from the whole picture too much.

A shame that the others aren't there.

Still, assuming the light area is the pupil

because pupils are generally white?

I can't tell if you're joking. I was assuming that the lighter area was the pupil as an "even if" exercise, because Jiff mentioned Magnus' variety in eye colours.

But just in case...Come on, mate, we're talking fiction here...

http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/daily/ftl/ftl78_sorin.jpg

No, this isn't 40K. 40K is, I think, even more extreme as far as strange appearances go.

Well, yeah I was joking. Maybe the word "pupil" means different things in different languages, but the bright areas in that last pic is what I would call the iris -the pupil would be the "hole" in the middle -you know where the light goes in so you can see stuff...

edit: spelling

Wow, for some reason or another I simply love this picture. It portrays every Primarch exactly how I thought of them, and it does a great job of showing that though each one is obviously very different, each is a warrior of the Imperium and shows that ultimately they're all brothers. It's such a tragedy that they'll be fighting each other not too much later.

Oh, and Sanguinius... He's in the far end and his wings do not show...

I think it's the top of Sangies wings right there:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/sponsra/Pics/wings.jpg

Once again, wings...

I think, that Magnus is doing some kind of sorcery (the sparking purple ball). Light from the ball is reflecting on Angrons face (that is why his face is red) and I think, that Angron posture is like: "Put that away bro!" I also think he is far from being enraged, he was always depicted as angry looking even when calm.

EDIT: Alternative explanation: It might be moment, when Horus was declared Warmaster, that would explain all expressions.

It's a brilliant piece of artwork. To be honest, I think about half of the Primarchs are a little 'meh', Mangus, Angron, Lorgar and Dorn, but the rest are really good.

Sanguinius and Fulgrim really capture the essence of their character. Horus is different to how I've personally imagined him, but is a very good description of him.

I severely hope this isn't turned into a limited edition novel.

The Primarchs anthology is NOT a LE offering.

Archived