The Primarchs - Artwork

Nikt208

Because altering one's appearance for cosmetic purposes is usually seen - at the most basic level - as effeminate, pointless, or a compensation for some flaw.

I would say it is mainly the latter. While a primarch would put some effort into looking presentable (as a representative of the Imperial might, and all), changing his hair colour gives the distinct impression that he was not satisfied with his natural appearance for whatever reason. It seems a tad vain, and while that is perfectly reasonable for us in our every day lives if we feel that a different hair colour suits us better, a Primarch is expected to be above such trivial matters.

I can only say that Sanguinius' open emotionality is what sets him apart and makes him so popular among his fellow primarchs as well as in the real world fandom.

Or the wings... Or that he died in single combat with Horus... Or that he broke a Bloodthirster's back with his knee... Or that he is the Primarch of the Blood Angels.

I doubt his open emotionality is what most people who like the fluff of the BA or play them as an army are drawn to about Sanguinius. Ditto for the Primarchs as well.

That said, it does seem to me that it would be out of character for as powerful an individual as Sanguinius to alter his physical appearance based on mood. That's not my "manliness" talking, that is me considering the idea of a statesmen and leader of men altering his appearance after a tragedy when stability, order, and normalcy are required to keep things on track and to subvert further damage to morale.

Because altering one's appearance for cosmetic purposes is usually seen - at the most basic level - as effeminate, pointless, or a compensation for some flaw.

I would say it is mainly the latter. While a primarch would put some effort into looking presentable (as a representative of the Imperial might, and all), changing his hair colour gives the distinct impression that he was not satisfied with his natural appearance for whatever reason. It seems a tad vain, and while that is perfectly reasonable for us in our every day lives if we feel that a different hair colour suits us better, a Primarch is expected to be above such trivial matters.

This is only if you see it as the attempt to improve your looks. As said, if Sanguinius does it at all, it may well be for reasons that have nothing to do with whether he wants to be handsome or not. It may be part of Baal's culture or something he made up for himself. If you've grown up on a world where everybody applies make up and hair colour according to his emotional welfare it would not at all appear strange to you to do it yourself. It's just our current 21st century Western cultural perception that implies this view.

I can only say that Sanguinius' open emotionality is what sets him apart and makes him so popular among his fellow primarchs as well as in the real world fandom.

Or the wings... Or that he died in single combat with Horus... Or that he broke a Bloodthirster's back with his knee... Or that he is the Primarch of the Blood Angels.

I doubt his open emotionality is what most people who like the fluff of the BA or play them as an army are drawn to about Sanguinius. Ditto for the Primarchs as well.

That said, it does seem to me that it would be out of character for as powerful an individual as Sanguinius to alter his physical appearance based on mood. That's not my "manliness" talking, that is me considering the idea of a statesmen and leader of men altering his appearance after a tragedy when stability, order, and normalcy are required to keep things on track and to subvert further damage to morale.

Well, at least it's what makes him sympathetic for me. B)

Without their streak of emotional burden, the Blood Angels would just be boring Space Vampires to me.

Whether it is good or bad if the leader of an army so openly shows his emotional trouble is up to debate. It can be seen as good, as well as bad. A leader who in times of crisis does not show his emotional trouble may be seen as having a strength of mind and the guiding light to hold on to, or he may be seen as cold and uncaring. A leader against that who shows his emotions openly could be seen as weak and unqualified for such a position, or as a caring father figure who is not above showing his sons that he knows very well what they feel. As Sanguinius is often described as the caring one among the primarchs, the latter version might fit him quite well.

Hmm, I really think Magnus is looking at Angron's display of rage during a celebration. I't sounds a bit 'light' for 40K to have a primarch 'winking' at the reader...

If Magnus only has one eye, how do you differentiate a wink from something like Narcolepsy incurred by one of Dorn's speeches?

Hmm, I really think Magnus is looking at Angron's display of rage during a celebration. I't sounds a bit 'light' for 40K to have a primarch 'winking' at the reader...

I like to think of the art of 40k as being an important part of the stories being told. To add in a Easter egg type "wink" seems very appropriate. To me it is more of a nod. His head is turned in a different direction then any of his brothers says that he is distracted. If a picture is worth a thousand words then where Magnus is looking could be important. It could be he is looking at some thing no one else can see (spirit) or that the object is insignificant to his brothers (cherub servitor or bird). To me the kind of thing that would capture Magnus's attention is likely to be in the spirit world. Other then the exchange between Horus an Fulgrim and Angron's grasp on the balcony, I see Magnus's gaze to be the most dynamic part of the picture. Fulgrim and Sanguinius having their hair blow in the wind is interesting (they clearly have the same barber), as is the gas escaping from Mortarion's hood. I don't think Magnus looking at Angron would add anything to the story. They all know well that Angron has rage issues.... he probably dose this kind of thing all the time.

This is only if you see it as the attempt to improve your looks. As said, if Sanguinius does it at all, it may well be for reasons that have nothing to do with whether he wants to be handsome or not. It may be part of Baal's culture or something he made up for himself. If you've grown up on a world where everybody applies make up and hair colour according to his emotional welfare it would not at all appear strange to you to do it yourself. It's just our current 21st century Western cultural perception that implies this view.

Of course. But then A D-B and myself had been adressing the way it is perceived by the readers. And unless it is specifically pointed out that Sanguinius was dyeing his hair due to some Baalite ritual, the readers will likely assume the most obvious explanation, and that being vanity.

I'm up for the idea that his hair would be made black for mourning or something sad like that.

But, I prefer the idea of his natural hair color being blonde.

However, so long as he is written well, I could care less what color his hair is ;)

Oh, and Sanguinius... He's in the far end and his wings do not show...

I think it's the top of Sangies wings right there:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/sponsra/Pics/wings.jpg

Yes, I should have phrased it a bit better: The wings to do show in their full splendor. This is what really sets Sanguinius apart - I'd expect the wings to have a more prominent position in the artwork - oh well, no biggie - still a nice picture...

I like to think of the art of 40k as being an important part of the stories being told. To add in a Easter egg type "wink" seems very appropriate. To me it is more of a nod. His head is turned in a different direction then any of his brothers says that he is distracted. If a picture is worth a thousand words then where Magnus is looking could be important. It could be he is looking at some thing no one else can see (spirit) or that the object is insignificant to his brothers (cherub servitor or bird). To me the kind of thing that would capture Magnus's attention is likely to be in the spirit world. Other then the exchange between Horus an Fulgrim and Angron's grasp on the balcony, I see Magnus's gaze to be the most dynamic part of the picture. Fulgrim and Sanguinius having their hair blow in the wind is interesting (they clearly have the same barber), as is the gas escaping from Mortarion's hood. I don't think Magnus looking at Angron would add anything to the story. They all know well that Angron has rage issues.... he probably dose this kind of thing all the time.

Magnus' look is clearly directed at Angron, the 'dark' of his eye occupying the rightmost side and his face clearly displaying annoyance and condescendence. The flashing display of sorcery is more symbolic than anything, showing how Magnus kept using his psyker skills at his leisure and with little caution.

I see no problem with Sanguinius changing his hair colour through psychic or physical means. Fulgrim wore make-up at his meeting with the Eldar and the whole Imperium revels in displays, be it of force or glory. Some Space Marine armours are made by artisans for a reasons.

I always pictured Sanguinius as a blonde long haired Angel of Light as opposed to the Lion that I imagined him as a dark, short-haired Angel of Darkness. I guess I'm wrong on both accounts although there is some debate on Sanguinius... I really think blonde suits him better. And I really think the long blonde hair for the Lion to be, well, wrong.

Angorn, next to Magnus, looks like Joe Pesci in Good Fellas: short, angry and dangerous. After some thought I think I like that... I also like that the railing of the balcony under his hand looks as if it is breaking apart...

Mortarion looks like you really don't want to be next to him... Not taking the spotlight but he is the most ominous figure in the balcony. I really like what the artist did there.

Lorgar is the most insigificant looking of the lot. It's like a vet. sergeant sneaked up there in the balcony with all the Primarchs just to get in the picture... I don't know, he looks more like a bodyguard of some Primarch to me rather than a Primarch himself.

If you sully my Primarchs name again. Throne help me I will cut your pretty face.

I don't need to sully his name, the guy got skinned by cultists.

Thats a Primarch, not just getting killed, but skinned, by cultists.

Have you seen those guys in dawn of war? Who loses to fodder like that!?!*

As for the OP, love the picture. Wish we had a image of all of the Primarchs together, not just a handfull. Would really like to see some pictures of Vulkan and Alpharius/Omegon.

*Dorn, thats who!

I always pictured Sanguinius as a blonde long haired Angel of Light as opposed to the Lion that I imagined him as a dark, short-haired Angel of Darkness. I guess I'm wrong on both accounts although there is some debate on Sanguinius... I really think blonde suits him better. And I really think the long blonde hair for the Lion to be, well, wrong.

Well you definately are not wrong on the Sanguinius part. There is debate, but all of the artwork shows Sanguinius as blonde hair, usually with it being long.

This artwork ranges from the Chapter Banners and Mosaichs in the codex, to the Horus Heresy Artwork of Horus standing over his body.

Also, Corbulo is said to be the most like Sanguinius and have most of his features, and his hair is also blonde.

Again, I can see it being dyed black for ceremonial or mourning reasons.

I don't know... Angron is kind of growing on me. I like the image of the overmuscled kick-boxer rather than kind of an ungainly towering behemoth (that is for a Primarch - I'm sure he'll be way bigger than regular Marines let alone ordinary humans). Also in this picutre he is placed next to Magnus so his modest size might be a not-so-succesful attempt for relative scale (since Magnus was a Giant). Of course he also looks kind of small compared to virtually all other Primarchs hence the "not-so-successful" comment.

But even so, I can live with that. It's a twist. I mean we are always associating size with might in the 40k Universe, how about the aforementioned kick boxer archetype? Very muscled. very strong, very fast. very vicious and with a couple of chainaxes to boot! Yeah, I got no problem with that! It is also kind of gladiatorial. And frankly if it clashes with previous stuff, this is a retcon I could happily live with. (not saying that this picture is a retcon in itself - it could be a one-off depiction based on the artist's skill and vision - but I really don't mind it).

My only real complaint about this picture is Lorgar due to he's plainess I guess...

My only real complaint about this picture is Lorgar due to he's plainess I guess...

I dont think Lorgar is plain, I just think he is completely overshadowed by Dorn and the Khan, who both look totally awesome. Although saying that the image I got from ADB's description at the beginning of TFH was very different, and far more awe inspiring.

Archived