Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

:) This guy is HUGE!!! I seriously want this guy in 3-D!

There is nothing, NOTHING, I don't like about your Moloc! The Greek style murals on the shoulderpads (that depict Ancient Greek-style marines killing Orcs) is just a great inspiration! :lol: The sheer bulk of this guy is... dunno... overwhelming! The crest (or should that be the base of the crest) as well as a the upper thighs have the black-figure pottery detail - just great!!!

In short this guy radiates an aura of authority and righteousness that is unmatched! Great story too. Love all of it!

And no space between words! You are keen on detail indeed! :P

Greyall, I've been one of your supporters from the very beginning, so know that I am try to constructively criticize with this comment: he looks corpulent. He does not look muscular. While the Minotaur impression is strong and thematically brilliant, I feel like he waddles more than walks.

That being said, I can tell why you love him so much. He's probably the best example of your technical skill and attention to detail! Much respect as always, brother.

As always nice work here Greyall, you always produce amazing stuff and I'm a big fan of the minotaur in greek mythology and I think you've created a pretty amazing marine-a-taur, I wish GW made models based on your art!

I do have a few gripes....one is proportional...his thighs are colossal. The legs generally could be thinned just a tiny bit.. (as others said, but not too much, they look really good, especially the murals)

The only other gripe I have is personal and thats with the bull head from the abdomen, heads sticking out from that region never sit right with me...

I absolutely love this image. All the little details didn't come to me until I read through the further posts. Since then, my favorite little detail has to be the pottery-like illustrations on the cuisse.

My one concern with the image is the Greek. Translated, τιμωρος του αορατου εχθρου (timoros tou aopatou echthrou) means something like "executioner/avenger of the hated unseen." I'm not saying this as a criticism, but only because I'm a pedant. Hell, τιμωρος can even mean "succourer," or one who gives assistance to. That being said, credit goes to whoever provided the translation for getting the right case (genitive). Again, not a criticism. I just wanted to point this indeterminacy out.

EDIT: Also, curious about the Greek letters on the left leg. Why Sigma, Omega, Phi and Chi?

I absolutely love this image. All the little details didn't come to me until I read through the further posts. Since then, my favorite little detail has to be the pottery-like illustrations on the cuisse.

My one concern with the image is the Greek. Translated, τιμωρος του αορατου εχθρου (timoros tou aopatou echthrou) means something like "executioner/avenger of the hated unseen." I'm not saying this as a criticism, but only because I'm a pedant. Hell, τιμωρος can even mean "succourer," or one who gives assistance to. That being said, credit goes to whoever provided the translation for getting the right case (genitive). Again, not a criticism. I just wanted to point this indeterminacy out.

EDIT: Also, curious about the Greek letters on the left leg. Why Sigma, Omega, Phi and Chi?

Hey Azarias,

I am kind of involved in this so I'll step in here. The word Τιμωρος stands for Punisher, (τιμωρία stands for punishment). Αόρατος means invisible, the one that cannot be seen - not hated but unseen. The idea here is that by giving Moloc the title Punisher it implies that he is authorized to Punish and by extension his opponents deserve to be punished. It provides legitimacy and authority while depriving his opponents of either. Now why is the enemy invisible or unseen? Because the Minotaurs are the enforcers of the Imperium's ultimate authority and their enemies are not necessarily the Orks or the Iron Warriors (i.e. visible and recognizable enemies) but anyone that opposes the High Lords. Even organizations that are at face value loyal can become the enemy overnight if the high lords decree so. And who's gonna get them? The Minotaurs! It sort of reinforces the Enemy Within sentiment and the overall paranoia of the setting! Like the State turning on itself...

Congrats on your understanding of Greek btw! If I recall you are Italian - so yeah kudos to you sir! :)

Hey Azarias,

I am kind of involved in this so I'll step in here. The word Τιμωρος stands for Punisher, (τιμωρία stands for punishment). Αόρατος means invisible, the one that cannot be seen - not hated but unseen. The idea here is that by giving Moloc the title Punisher it implies that he is authorized to Punish and by extension his opponents deserve to be punished. It provides legitimacy and authority while depriving his opponents of either. Now why is the enemy invisible or unseen? Because the Minotaurs are the enforcers of the Imperium's ultimate authority and their enemies are not necessarily the Orks or the Iron Warriors (i.e. visible and recognizable enemies) but anyone that opposes the High Lords. Even organizations that are at face value loyal can become the enemy overnight if the high lords decree so. And who's gonna get them? The Minotaurs! It sort of reinforces the Enemy Within sentiment and the overall paranoia of the setting! Like the State turning on itself...

Congrats on your understanding of Greek btw! If I recall you are Italian - so yeah kudos to you sir! :D

χαιρει, and touché, sir. I didn't see the link between τιμωρος and τιμωρια until you pointed out, so I was wrong on that count. But I wasn't correcting the spirit off the words, only the translation I was given. I reversed the word order in my translation just because I felt that "hated unseen" sounds better than "unseen hated," but that's just quibbling. But I'm always glad to be proved wrong, because I learn more that way.

Shock effect, I guess, Howlon was a favourite of mine, too. But I consider Moloc to be one of those unstoppable juggernauts in a story. You know he's beatable, yet he always comes out on top, and that adds threat and annoyance (which seem to be Minotaurs' main exports).

In my version, he skewered Howlon single-handedly, but Chaos Champions are above many a Terminator and Minotaurs like to pile on enemies, so who's to say how Moloc truly got to wear Abrajam's head on a chain...

Thanks a lot, everyone. And again double for Captain Semper. Cheers.

PS: Next week I doubt I'll get any drawings done, this one put me behind schedule for college papers as it is...Imperial scum...

Huge fan of all your work Greyall but this is easily in the top three. The detail work is amazing and I love that crest he's sporting. Does look rather large but he exudes unnatural strength because of his size IMO. Looking forward to your next piece!

Archived