Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

I changed the prize for the DIY contests, so everyone gets a Marine. Here's Silver Phoenix's, a Librarian for his Star Leopards. Hope you enjoy:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/148/6/f/raylan_caraten___star_leopards_librarian_by_greyall-d7k1uvt.jpg

Raylan Caraten, Librarian of the Star Leopards

“Sinapse…a poor choice in evolution. But at least my message will reach the lot of you worms.”

Raylan Caraten of the Star Leopards, at the Extermination of Light, final words.

There are many ways to define a hero: the first to run straight at the nearest danger; the one who shields others from danger, whether they’re known to him or not; the inspiring voice and hand to light a fire in the hearts of those around him even when all seems lost; the legend who excelled where ordinary individuals failed. These are actions, and heroes often fulfil only one or a few of them, yet there is a constant that all heroes endure, no matter the deeds that carved their name into History: they carry a burden. Their courage comes at the price of overcoming the innate fear at the impossible; their dependability comes with a neglecting their own glories and time for self; their excellence comes at the expense of almost everything else. In the case of Raylan Caraten, his devotion to his Chapter and brothers meant he had to overcome his own self-doubts and test himself at every waking moment. It also meant the end of almost every bond of brotherhood he had forged in his glorious career.

Respected, admired and liked through the entire Chapter, Caraten’s turning point was at the Siege of Canumas, where, in a duel with a Word Bearers sorcerer, his enemy turned his own nerve-disrupting attack against him. Only a fast reaction enabled him to almost instantly reactivate his own nervous system, stay on his feet and vanquish the traitor psyker. In immense pain, he managed to survive the rest of the battle and bring himself to the medicae. There one of his closest brothers, Apothecary Maun, told him of how there was no hope to re-establish his irrevocably damaged nervous connections, or even replace them bionically – his nervous system was too damaged and running on too much warp energy to be touched. To Maun, these were simply readings of temperature, energy fluctuation and nerve-response time. Caraten knew what it truly meant: at any time, he could simply release that energy and endanger the whole of the Chapter. Yet he felt the calling to endure, borne from a vision he’d experienced that showed him bathed in light, victorious over a terrible beast, the Star Leopards’ banner still intact: it was no dream of glory, for the ever-humble Caraten craved none. It meant he would be needed for the Chapter to endure.

It would be eighty years until the prophecy was fulfilled. Eighty years during which he shunned close contact contact with his psyker brethren, tricked the Apothecaries’ readings into showing him as stabilized and, most challenging of all, endured the burning kiss of the Warp constantly coursing through his body (the only thing keeping him alive) and the ever-present push of fel creatures against his mind, drawn to his permanent use of his power. When the Chapter descended on Light-Kappa to clear the Tyranid infestation and Caraten found himself facing the leading Ravener at what would be the turning point of the battle in the Astartes’ favour, he could not help but feel pure, almost selfish relief, as he burned in all his own accumulated energy, disrupting the Tyranids’ connection and winning the day for the Star Leopards.

------------------------------

Perspective is a little wonky, I'll be the first to say it, but I like his 'wholesomeness' and I'm especially proud of the helmet and power pack design. In all, I'm satisfied with this fella'. Hope the owner is, too smile.png

first of all, NICE as usual! and whats this bit about everyone gets a marine?

Again, many thanks, all =)

@Lord Marshall: A while ago I organized a DIY Chapter contest, winner got a mural, 2nd prize a Marine and heraldry, the third a Marine with scenery and the honourable mentions got heraldry for their Chapters. But I took a hiatus and am in little mood to draw badges - I much prefer the idea of drawing Marines, so the honourables all get a character as prize. It'll be a while before I do another contest, as the prizes alone take a lot of time, but it'll happen eventually.

@Helterskelter: I simply don't have the time to finish it before I go blind from cataracts :p This is a hobby, for now, and at most I'll someday do a few comissions, but that's not in my plans. Also, I prefer concept art instead of illustration, my goal is for you to say "I'd buy a miniature based on this", not "That's the best depiction of 'Miniature X' ever." Which is just fine, seeing as dynamic poses with Power Armour are a pain in the arse.

After the first of the Traitors, Aquilanus will get his due, a little guy that'll give me a drawgasm out of the sheer amount of cables I plan to give him :D

Too late, Captain.  Once you taste the fruits of Greyall's genius, you are set upon the mad path of fanboyism.  Relax, and accept your fate.  :D

As for the Librarian, that sword is a thing of exquisite beauty, Greyall.  I keep going back and staring at it, and my fingers are itching to try and model one.  Really dig the helm and backpack, too.

After the first of the Traitors

Back to the dark side happy.png You do seem to have an excellent knack of drawing them!

, Aquilanus will get his due, a little guy that'll give me a drawgasm out of the sheer amount of cables I plan to give him biggrin.png

I'm rather red faced to admit that I did kinda squee (well, more a "Wahooo!" really) when I read this blush.png

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! wub.png

Greetings again, Greyall. I hadn't actually noticed you were back at it again. Beautiful works all around as always. I had to flip through some of the older works just to bask in the constant awesomeness and I have to say, that Stone Heart you did for Octavulg is just stunning. Props to the both of you for the awesome ideas and you really bringing it to life. I wasn't sure about the antlers at first but now it's my favorite part of the piece. I can't believe this thread dates back as many years as it does. Thank you so much for your contributions to this community and being so gracious and patient with everyone. I know you will but please keep up the phenomenal work. It's greatly appreciated.

Corny as it may sound, patience has never been a requirement, brother. If anything, I have a huge debt of gratitude to B&C and its community. The thanks are one me :)

@Reckoning: I've thought about it, but it's a really remote possibility, for now. I'm thankfully moving to a better job soon, so all the more reason for me to stick to drawing as a hobby. I prefer it that way, it allows me to jump straight to the next idea even if I have to postpone another.

Greyall, I wish you had time for a graphic novel, I'd buy it in an instant. Kickstarter anyone?

Oh come on, Greyall. I'd do the writing and everything! biggrin.png

that is an exciting idea. i love to see that actually happen. ill help!

Aye, the first of the Traitor series: He likes castles!

castles are awesome! that is all. carry on!

Greyall, still fantastic work you've got going on here. I will definitely say that I am very disappointed I can't point at one of your images and tell GW/FW "Make that one. That's got a ton of bits and appearance everyone needs." Fantastic pieces all around!

Corny as it may sound, patience has never been a requirement, brother. If anything, I have a huge debt of gratitude to B&C and its community. The thanks are one me smile.png

@Reckoning: I've thought about it, but it's a really remote possibility, for now. I'm thankfully moving to a better job soon, so all the more reason for me to stick to drawing as a hobby. I prefer it that way, it allows me to jump straight to the next idea even if I have to postpone another.

Ya, no pressure brother. I just really love your work. IMO, some of the best 40k artwork not just in this forum, but in the entire hobby.

Greyall, still fantastic work you've got going on here. I will definitely say that I am very disappointed I can't point at one of your images and tell GW/FW "Make that one. That's got a ton of bits and appearance everyone needs." Fantastic pieces all around!

If GW/FW had to do ONE of Greyall's works of art to miniature, the in my own opinion it has to be the re-imagining of the "original" Terminator (the one that some call the peanut Termi, because of the shape of its head laugh.png ) By Primus, that picture was staggering, and considering the rest of the content in this topic, that is saying something.

Aye, the first of the Traitor series: He likes castles!

Walls are only good for knocking down, or forcing an opponent to die along with you.

Side note, expect a PM soon, brother. I need to tap your imagination.....

Archived