Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

The Sachiel-style helm was deliberate, it's a very creepy design. My previous concept was even more alike and 'strange', with a wing-shield.

I always found "him" the creepiest of the Angels to be honest, so your picture captured that perfectly smile.png

Man, I am really digging this one. The Skin-Walker looks great, Greyall. Really a terrifying piece. Only critique I would give is I think the calves and the feet could have used a bit more work. They seem rather stubby and I don't think its because of the angle, but that's just me.

Any hint as to what's next? ;)

I'm just returning from holidays, you can imagine how nice it is to find your appreciation here, brothers. To be honest I had a few doubts about integrating the "wildness" of the Skinwalkers with the 'bluntness' FW has set for 30K, where most units are very down-to-earth. 

The Sachiel-style helm was deliberate, it's a very creepy design. My previous concept was even more alike and 'strange', with a wing-shield.

That you guys can imagine and would like to see my concepts on the table is perhaps the greatest compliment I can get. Thank you very much. Cheers, all.

I would love to see your concepts realized into full miniatures. Also, as I mentioned before, I'd give organs to see some MK I Terminators. Can't wait to see what you've got next!

-Tarvik

I'm just returning from holidays, you can imagine how nice it is to find your appreciation here, brothers. To be honest I had a few doubts about integrating the "wildness" of the Skinwalkers with the 'bluntness' FW has set for 30K, where most units are very down-to-earth. 

That you guys can imagine and would like to see my concepts on the table is perhaps the greatest compliment I can get. Thank you very much. Cheers, all.

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT

You took... Evangelion cues? For Warhammer 40,000? BLESSINGS UPON US ALL! Now I have confirmation that my two favorite Warhammer artists (yourself and Jes Goodwin) both love Evangelion. I'M DONE! That's all I needed to hear!

[Makes a fort out of Evangelion DVDs and assorted Codexes.]

To me, Eva and angel designs are timeless and give some ideas to both armour and monsters aplenty :) Plus, it's mindf*****gly brilliant.

@Noctus: What's next was conceptualized in about an afternoon of workplace coaching, as I sat there listening and wondering how to concile renaissance armour design and 30/40K's. You've probably figured out what it is, by now =)

Heresy as per FW is pretty hard. I'm a Blanche and Goodwin follower of a more decorated and customized armour, but FW is the official 30K storyteller, so their design orientation is more or less official. Also, their design orientation makes it harder, and a good dose of added difficulty is one of my weak spots.

Anyway, the key word is majesty, with a more or less overt layer of creepiness.

Hey is that Raven based off a skinwalker?I'm N'de(Apache) and our cousins are the Dine( Navajo) and the look reminds me of some descriptions of skinwalker regalia I've heard of before. Although I think it would be more accurate if you  drew an astartes that modified a camo cloak to make a skin over his armor. And that he used this camo cloak skin to overlay various images over his armor or project images. Make himself look like a fell beast or flying creature. 

Hey mate. It is indeed the '30K-ish version' of a Skinwalker, as I see it. There were a good few other ways I could've made this more 'tribal', but I try to follow the basic design trends of the setting. Right now, FW has established the Crusade/Heresy-era as a time with more armour marks and more variation within each mark; less bling and motiffs than in 40K and more sober armour decoration - well, apart from the Night Lords, but that serves a purpose.. If this was 40K  I could've shaped a number of pieces on his armour to resemble feathers, claws, etc.

Trouble is, the Raven's design is extremely sober. I thought they'd be sporting feathers and raven skulls around, but apart from some discrete armour painting, there's nada, they're 30K ninjas, plain black. So this Raven would have to be as sober as a man impersonating a legendary man-raven can be. It would also have to look a little 'made by hand' and put together in a ritualistic way.

In short: a Raven Guard Skinwalker in 40K would've looked much different and more like the picture that inspired it.

Many thanks, mate =)

• 3 weeks later...

This one's for Noctus Cornix, his very own Ruined King of the Word Bearers. I approached him to draw one of his great, great characters. Here's to you, man, keep coming up with those awesome conversions, hope you like it.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/141/f/4/the_ruined_king_by_greyall-d7j8gzv.jpg

Raymund felt blessed. Not just for surviving a battle that lasted for five days and devastated an entire region, but because he witnessing how the Glorious Four embraced his favoured sons. He cried...blood, by the taste of it. The Gods were truly satisfied, to bless not just the immortals, but also the humble mortals who'd shed skin and blood in their name.

The King stood at the foot of the shrine whose destruction sealed the Word Bearer's victory. A crude thing, stairs roughly chiseled out of rock to allow the corpse worshippers to reach the very site where some Marine had once perished in battle against a Champion of the Bloody One, centuries ago. An Executioner, which explains why, mid-battle, the sky started burning as the loyalists' ships descended and delivered death onto their forces, both with shot and Marines. All seemed lost for a moment...until the King came.

Now he looked upon the last living Astartes on Medellia VII...though not for long, it seemed. Legs and arms severed, the Imperial mutt seemed only to endure so he could spill all his hate for the army of the Four. He snorted and screamed at the King as if he had but a flesh-wound. Yet the exalted ruler seemed not to notice, and kept talking to his advisors even as the loyalist's insults got louder. Finally, his conversation over, the King turned to the Executioner, and for a moment even an Astartes with nothing to lose and a hate greater than himself paused, the superiority of the being before him undeniable...

The runed sword slowly entered the Marine's torso, causing him to grunt. Hoisting the upper half of the Emperor's slave, the King started climbing the steps. It was a thing of beauty, this being who towered above all around him: the baroque armour decorated with symbols of worship to the Eye of the Pantheon; the ever-burning shield made of slabs taken from an Imperial temple defiled to the glory of the Four; the jagged sword, almost as tall and heavy as a Marine; most intriguing, the enormous Chaos Star to which an Ultramarine's upper half - what was left of the husk - was chained, to which purpose Raymund did not know....he had studied all about his liege, and yet all the secrets and coming glories of Chaos seemed hidden inside this giant, inscrutable to one as low as him.

The King pulled his weapon from the lapdog's body and brought it to his shield's flaming center. The sword caught fire instantly, burning a spectral blue in the sea of flame and crimson around the shrine. Without even looking at the Executioner, the monarch spun the blade twice and plunged it into the Marine with all his strength. The blow cracked the shrine from top to bottom. More impressively, it cracked the loyalist's façade, making him scream as Raymund had rarely heard anyone scream. The blue flames seemed to fled from the blade and into the loyalist, who spasmed uncontrollably and started to fragment. As did the Ultramarine chained to the Star. In seconds, the suspended corpse gave place to the freshly-slaughtered Executioner.

Raymund could swear he'd seen the great king's legs tremble for a second, while the trophy-corpses changed places. But what to it? Did the Gods' gifts not often overwhelm the gifted? Even the King paled under the light of the Four.

The cries of victory erupted. The chanting began, overwhelming and infectious. Without thinking, Jacos Raymund joined, laughing as he sang praises to his gods. He was so immersed in the ritual, he never truly noticed the Slaaneshi daemon clawing free from its fleshy prison...

I changed the prize for the DIY contests, so everyone gets a Marine. Here's Silver Phoenix's, a Librarian for his Star Leopards. Hope you enjoy:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/148/6/f/raylan_caraten___star_leopards_librarian_by_greyall-d7k1uvt.jpg

Raylan Caraten, Librarian of the Star Leopards

“Sinapse…a poor choice in evolution. But at least my message will reach the lot of you worms.”

Raylan Caraten of the Star Leopards, at the Extermination of Light, final words.

There are many ways to define a hero: the first to run straight at the nearest danger; the one who shields others from danger, whether they’re known to him or not; the inspiring voice and hand to light a fire in the hearts of those around him even when all seems lost; the legend who excelled where ordinary individuals failed. These are actions, and heroes often fulfil only one or a few of them, yet there is a constant that all heroes endure, no matter the deeds that carved their name into History: they carry a burden. Their courage comes at the price of overcoming the innate fear at the impossible; their dependability comes with a neglecting their own glories and time for self; their excellence comes at the expense of almost everything else. In the case of Raylan Caraten, his devotion to his Chapter and brothers meant he had to overcome his own self-doubts and test himself at every waking moment. It also meant the end of almost every bond of brotherhood he had forged in his glorious career.

Respected, admired and liked through the entire Chapter, Caraten’s turning point was at the Siege of Canumas, where, in a duel with a Word Bearers sorcerer, his enemy turned his own nerve-disrupting attack against him. Only a fast reaction enabled him to almost instantly reactivate his own nervous system, stay on his feet and vanquish the traitor psyker. In immense pain, he managed to survive the rest of the battle and bring himself to the medicae. There one of his closest brothers, Apothecary Maun, told him of how there was no hope to re-establish his irrevocably damaged nervous connections, or even replace them bionically – his nervous system was too damaged and running on too much warp energy to be touched. To Maun, these were simply readings of temperature, energy fluctuation and nerve-response time. Caraten knew what it truly meant: at any time, he could simply release that energy and endanger the whole of the Chapter. Yet he felt the calling to endure, borne from a vision he’d experienced that showed him bathed in light, victorious over a terrible beast, the Star Leopards’ banner still intact: it was no dream of glory, for the ever-humble Caraten craved none. It meant he would be needed for the Chapter to endure.

It would be eighty years until the prophecy was fulfilled. Eighty years during which he shunned close contact contact with his psyker brethren, tricked the Apothecaries’ readings into showing him as stabilized and, most challenging of all, endured the burning kiss of the Warp constantly coursing through his body (the only thing keeping him alive) and the ever-present push of fel creatures against his mind, drawn to his permanent use of his power. When the Chapter descended on Light-Kappa to clear the Tyranid infestation and Caraten found himself facing the leading Ravener at what would be the turning point of the battle in the Astartes’ favour, he could not help but feel pure, almost selfish relief, as he burned in all his own accumulated energy, disrupting the Tyranids’ connection and winning the day for the Star Leopards.

------------------------------

Perspective is a little wonky, I'll be the first to say it, but I like his 'wholesomeness' and I'm especially proud of the helmet and power pack design. In all, I'm satisfied with this fella'. Hope the owner is, too smile.png

I'm sure Silver Phoenix is going to love him. He's great, in an understated way. I can see why you're proud of the helmet and the backpack - singular and yet still fairly 'normal'. Great job.

Thanks a lot, guys. It's great fun to draw some faster and simpler characters from time to time, especially because it leaves less room where to put that certain distinctive element to keep it in the viewer's mind. In Caraten's case, though, the helmet was the first thing I drew - and this final version took only about two or three eraser-strikes before it was done.

Now, here's a preview of my next Character Series, which will alternate with the other prizes/gifts I'm doing.

TRAITORIS PROBROSUM

It’s a well-known fact that Astartes exhibit particularly pronounced pack behaviour. They are blood brothers in all but birth, and their intra-Chapter behaviour, from rivalries to petty quarrels to the overcoming of such things when a threat to the Immortal Emperor comes, is akin to the dynamics or a regular family, something only the most tight-knit of the other Imperial units manage to achieve. This behaviour undoubtedly helped explain (though never forgive) how some of the less charismatic and strong-willed members of the traitor Legions made their decision to commit the most atrocious of crimes on the Imperium.

But there is a breed of traitors far more dangerous, perhaps as much so as the leaders of the Horus Heresy. Those on the loyalist side, who, with full knowledge of what has been at stake for millennia, follow the path of damnation and bolster the ranks of the Warp Gods. Some revealed their treachery at the onset of the Heresy, others are doing it at this very moment, when Mankind again is in dire need of heroes. Some join the forces of old foes; others carve their own path inside the Eye of Terror. But these traitors all have one thing in common: they have cast aside their vows to the Emperor – many with proclamations of ‘freedom’ and release from tyranny – only to kneel at the feet of a new master: one of the gods of Chaos.

Now, as the Archtraitor launches his thirteenth Dark Crusade, these basest heretics aid his efforts, whether actively or through the pursuit of their own mad goals. A symbol of how honour, respect from their peers or even the Emperor’s grand design may mean nothing to the most wretched mind.

By the Emperor's left toe nail... I love him. Both the story behind him and the illustration as well is an exemplar of the Star Leopards. My only.problem is that you killed him off so I don't get to make a model to represent him in 40k. Still his legend shall live on in the annals of the chapter.

He, er...died yesterday?

Glad you like him, Phoenix. msn-wink.gif

Of course, in the Galaxy of Mankind, time is a fickle thing (meaning that you could model him, use him in games, with his death in Greyall's fluff being his "ultimate" end in the far future happy.png )

I like him a lot happy.png Also looking forward to seeing more of your latest project Greyall smile.png

Please tell me there's a talented sculptor out there capable of making these msn-wink.gif . The power pack, helmet, and armor I want. Please, by the gods someone make a Greyall Forgeworld. And i'm looking forward to seeing what next up for our enjoyment with your new project.

Also I noticed my comment on 05/27 about the Ruined King just disapeared. ohmy.png

Archived