Akan's Reavers

Hyaenidae

Korovius the Blood Poet

Formerly of the Angels of Ecstasy

Many millenia ago, the Antiximin dynasty was a vast and powerful noble house of holy Terra. Their hunger and power were matched by few others but this blood thirsty lineage became its downfall and after an assassination attempt on the high lord of the Adeptus Ministorum by an unknown assailant, the Lords of Terra were forced to banish the Antixian family to some back water hive world off on the edge of the eastern fringe. The dynasty was overwhelmed with sorrow of their exile from holy Terra, allowing it to fester into bitter resentment and after thousands of years, the Antixian house had become a breeding pool of monsters in human skin, fueled on by a lust for power and pleasure and nothing more.

Korovius Ignatius Liptarial Antiximin XIV was one such monster, born into the den of the beasts and spoiled and nutured by his so called family. Every member of the Antiximin family was known for their vicious nature and morbid life style but Korovius.... He was worlds apart from his kin. Even at such a young age, the child displayed a callous and draconian mentality that forced his own siblings to grow pale. He killed his first playmate at the age of 5 when the child would not cease to cry after Korovius beat him with a building block for his stuffed bear. At the age of 6 he ordered a handful of servants to jump from the balcony at the gun point of the family guards. When he was inquired by his mother on the matter, her explained that the maids' poofy dresses made them look like birds and desired to know if they could fly. Suffice to say none of them proved his theory correct.

Korovius had become the Apple of his father's eye and his siblings were quickly neglected by their parents in exchange for the monstrous prodegy. He was given the best education money and threats could buy and the hive's most brilliant minds were torn from their duties of maintain and serving the imperium to better tutor this abomination. His father would even take time out of his day (a thing unheard of before then) to have personal time with his favorite son to teach him of the only two things that truly mattered in life; power and ecstasy. The child adapted and learned at an astonishing rate but with this, the boy developed a cruel insatiable appetite. Very little else in the world peaked his interest and those few things he did, he quickly became bored with. He was drowned in a constant chance to experience something new and would readily dispose of anything he grew bored with.

The years went by and the number of Friends and family' around the heartless boy dwindled more and more and the boy almost felt he was going to have to murder his own father if he was going to gain even a sliver of interest. But then something happened that peaked his interest. The boy's home world along with three other planets that made up the Ulthunas cluster had been chosen by the high lords of Terra to become the recruitment grounds for a newly appointed chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, the Sons of Ulthunas. Korovius' father immediately saw this as an opportunity to regain his dynasty's favor in the eyes of the high lords, and as a sign of 'loyalty' presented his once favorite and only remaining son to the Astartes as a gift.

Korovius felt no sorrow or scorn in his departure for he knew himself that he would have quickly done the same if he had been presented the same question and in turn he felt no sorrow as he pressed the small detonator in his little hand that linked to themelta charge beneath he parents chamber bed. Now with nothing left but the Adeptus Astartes to look forward to, the boy saw an opportunity to once again satisfy his amusement. He would see hundreds of worlds and kill thousands in as many ways he could imagine. It was not until he arrived on the chapter's cruiser that reality set in....

The young Korovius did not find the life of adventure and slaughter that had played out in his head, but months of arduous training exercises and monotonous lectures. They tested the children again and again and Korovius was finding himself falling behind among the children. He was not as strong as the barbaric filth from the feral tribe worlds or as fast as the street scums that suckled at the underhive of what was once his home but, what the child did have that few others could match was his pure malicious cunning. He would cheat in the most subtle ways, anything he could do to gain the upper hand and train his body to become stronger than the others. For most Astartes, this would seem dishonorable but to the grim Sons of Ulthunas, victory was the only thing that mattered. And so through underhanded tactics and venemous wit, the child found himself granted the honor of becoming a neophyte to the ceramite clad warriors.

Despite all his cunning and strong will, the child could not find a way around the painful training they underwent. Grueling tests that pushed his limit and torturous psycho indoctrinations that hammered absolute loyalty to the chapter and the emperor into his mind until his mind had been wiped of his past life. His family, his home, his childhood, all stripped from his mind.... But the his hunger... His lust for power still remained. Korovius was perhaps the most troublesome neophyte in the history of his chapter, carrying an arrogant aura over him like a royal mantle that he would refuse to work with his more uncivilized comrades unless he was in command and would even go so far as to ignore direct orders if he felt that leader was beneath him. The boy had almost been executed or lobotomized on many occasions, but his raw ability to lead and his intellect saved him time and again from the tech marine's table.

Within only a few years, Brother Korovius had been honored as a fully fledged battle brother of the chapter and command of his own squad within the young chapter. Under his leadership, missions that normally would require the skill of veterans could be completed by young brothers and through underhanded tactics, honour and glory was his for the taking. But through all of this, the young sergeant felt something he could not explain he was... He was... Bored....

He no longer found a challenge or entertainment in outwitting barbaric orks or ignorant tau. His duty garnered no pleasure and his hunger was left unsated... That was, until a whisper came to his ear from his own captain... Mutiny.... And then he smiled. It had seemed others among his young chapter could also not grasp the dull life of servitude to a god they had never seen. The indoctrination they underwent was flawed and their emotions began to resurface. They wanted power, they wanted glory, they wanted freedom. A sickly sweet voice of the warp had called to them, and Korovius smiled...

What was to be later known as the Ganymethian Betrayal had begun as nothing more than a simple mop up rebellion. With the combined efforts of the Sons of Ulthunas 3rd and 4th companies along side the Nova Marines 5th company, the planet of Ganymethia was to be brought to a quick and brutal end, which was very true indeed, but not how the Nova Marines had expected. As the Sons of Ulthunas ships pulled into orbit, the Nova Marines had expected the relief they had requested from their brethren, but what they did not expect was to look to the sky and watch and lances of burning white pierced the sky, turning the planet to ash and rubble. With their betrayal made known to all, the traitors launched themselves upon the battered Nova Marines ship and slaughtered any who would not join them, claiming the ship for their own and fleeing before any retribution could be made.

Those who now called themselves the Angels of Ecstasy were free from their shackles to the imperium, free to reclaim those desires and emotions that had been long repressed by the flawed indoctrinations and free do anything and kill anyone they wanted. Korovius embraced his new life and the arms of Slaanesh as a lover. Drugs flowed freely through his veins, concubines filled his chambers every night, hordes of gold silk and jewels littered his coffers, and he could now freely express his monstrous nature to his full potential. For 16 Long glorious years he lived the life of luxury and delight, but slowly and surely, he felt that sensation of yearning and boredom once more. This life was too easy, his potential had remained unfound, and his desire to experience something different had yet to be realized.

Blood soaked the walls of the Angels' ship as the young betrayer walked towards the hangar bay, crimson life dripping from his rapier. Korovius only paused briefly with a cold smile to reguard one of his dying 'brothers' who had taken ahold of his ankle. "w-why have you forsaken us?...." he asked and a cruel sensation of delight crawled up the traitor's spine. He kneeled down ever so casually and rested the tip of his accursed blade against his comrades lips. "Because brother, you are simply no longer amusing..." her finished, thrusting his rapier down the Chaos Marine's throat before he could respond. In his boredom, Korovius abandoned the Angels and sold them out to the warband of Gorial the Blooded one of the Skull Takers, serving as his advisor and envoy. The Skull Takers too felt the kiss of betrayal not long after when they found their lord with his own axe in his spine and his tongue removed. As another side of the story, Korovius claims it was a just cause for the sake of the Gothic language as the uneducated swine could not pronounce egregious correctly.

Over his short years as a wandering connoisseur, Korovius has offered his serpentine wit and malicious cunning to lord and commander alike, always finding some excuse to betray his customers or simply becoming bored of them. Every time he would weasel his way out of a predicament by the skin of his teeth and each one more dangerous and amusing than the last. That is, until he attempted to double cross the Tyrant of the Maelstrom... Korovius had grossly underestimated the intellect of Lord Huron, assuming him to be nothing more than another idiot warlord just with a bigger stick, but when he promised that there was a great library of forbbiden lore buried beneath the ruins of a dead world, he was telling the truth, but may have possibly stretched the truth on the well being of the crew and ship that had been lent to him. With the Red Corsair vessel storm to shreds by a warp storm that was Korovius may have forgotten to mention, he had thought himself to clever and would simply sell the books to wealthy sorcerers among the Maelstrom and take the profits for himself but he had not quite expected that Huron Black Heart owned every station in the storm.

On his hands and knees, the con artist was thrown before the Blood Reaver, disdainful to kneel before anyone but to stand up would receive a quick slam of a bolter stock to the back of his head. He was going to die here, he could feel it already creeping up his spine. He was going to die.... That was until some filthy rust encrusted pirate filth had stepped forward on his behalf. After speaking with the tyrant, it had been agreed that Korovius was to pay off what he owed in service to Akan and his band of heathens. Reluctant to oblidgeoblidge he finally agreed and for 12 years has remained with Akan at first because there was simply no way to escape the Tyrant but over the years, he has become somewhat fond of the Traitor Malevolent's sharp wit and crude humor. To this day, Korovius has yet to find himself bored of his home in the band of generates but that nagging desire to move on could come at any moment.

Korovius is far from your average chaos marine, lacking in power and abilities that his comrades possess but solely relying on his skill and cunning to do what needs to be done. He is cold remorseless tactician and his intellect is only matched by his arrogance. He seems himself far above his brothers but usually keeps that to himself, usually allowing it to escape every so often in corrections in their grammar or wordy insults they might not understand. Cowardice is a word that can describe him although it is a word he is not familiar with. Underhanded tricks and dirty fighting are all that he has every known and so is unphased when his brothers call into question such negligable things as honor and glory. Korovius simply desires to win and will stop at nothing to do so.

To match his lifestyle of disloyalty and backstabbing, Korovius has kept his power armour unadorned by any icons of loyalty save for a single chaos star embedded into his right pauldron. His armor is that of a dull silverish grey, decorated and stylized by silks, skulls, and talismans he has taken throughout his life as little momentoes. His helmets resembles the of ancient Greecian tribes of ancient Terra, a massive plume crop sprouting from the top of his helmet down to the back as a sign of nobility or office. His armour is covered in a dull purple mantle, topped with the white fur of a fenrissian wolf stole from the corpse of a dying wolf guard on one of their raids not too long ago. At his side is a masterfully crafted Rapier of an ornate jewel and gold encrusted handle with a long ivory and silver engrained blade. It was created for his personal use during his time as an Angel of Ecstasy as a mark of his ascendance to championhood, but he had betrayed his brethren mere hours before his promotion ceremony.

There.... Finally done...

-deep breath and a loud sigh of relief- I'm finally done.... Please enjoy.... Someone remind me to never write a character bio on my phone again.....

Alright, let me clarify the votes: I'll allow two votes each, but not 'by squad' because that's just gonna get ridiculously confusing for everybody. Just vote for the two badasses of our little warband, they will be made Champions, and if they both come from the same squad, I'll do a little reorganizing.

Just trying to keep it simple, fellas.

@Noctus: Glad you finished the story, he'll be a great addition to our army. He almost reminds me of an evil Tobias Maxilla from the Eisenhorn Trilogy, or Notha Etassay from the Iron Warriors series. Pompous, arrogant, and lethally clever.

At the risk of sounding cliche, Callor and Korovius sound like the best leaders. They get my vote.

Any chance that there will be icon bearers in the squads, heathens?

Dammit...thank you, whythre. I completley forgot about the damn Icons, lol. The only Icon that the Renegade's Codex allows is Chaos Glory, mind you, but yes, they'll be there. Hmmm....how to go about this...any thoughts?

Well...you could decide this one based upon who seems like they would bear it? Like the word bearers guy (i cannot remember his name :ph34r: ) definitly seems like one of them. You could do the same with the meltaguns. and then the champions get voted on...though its definitly seeming like callor and korovious

Hmm...alright, I think what I'm gonna do is open up a second vote for the placement of the meltaguns after this one, but I'm gonna reserve the Icon Bearers for myself last, as my own little version of "Damn, dude, I loved your story" congratulations, lol. Already got at least one in mind, but we'll see...mind you, the 'icon bearers' will be carrying Guidons with the Reaver's symbol on it, not the standard 'iron star and piles of skulls' icons we usually see.

As for the Reaver flag itself, I'm thinking doing a variation of this flag (Edward Low's flag, for you history buffs. Figured he was the perfect sicko to emulate)...

http://www.crwflags.com/art/miscflags/pirate-edwardlow.gif

The skeleton will have a red Chaos Star off to his left, and the Astral Claws symbol in red to the right, each smaller than the skeleton. Classy...thoughts?

If there are any experienced IA guys out there (looking at you, CMID, lol), I'm debating creating an IA on our merry band. Opinions?

One last thing, I'm dropping the Ever-Damned name off Akan's title, as he never really considered himself damned, just free. He will simply be Akan the Reaver, King of a Thousand Heathens. Fits far better, in my opinion. Just wanted to let y'all know.

I've updated the votes, keep 'em coming!

Haha, can't believe we filled out the squads so fast, these guys a brilliant!

So many great stories, makes the voting hard. But for my No. 1 vote I gotta go with Saa the Flayer, absolutely LOVE that guy, sounds insane! With a close second being Korovious; I mean wow, that was alot of work put into that guy :o

Also thanks for all the kind words guys, I'm flattered that you liked my story :)

Haha, can't believe we filled out the squads so fast, these guys a brilliant!

So many great stories, makes the voting hard. But for my No. 1 vote I gotta go with Saa the Flayer, absolutely LOVE that guys, sounds insane! With a close second being Korovious; I mean wow, that was alot of work put into that guy :o

Also thanks for all the kind words guys, I'm flattered that you liked my story :)

Thanks man, glad you like it. :)

Would you believe me though if I told you I wrote that all with my little phone keyboard? Words cannot describe how sore my thumbs are. TT_TT

He will simply be Akan the Reaver, King of a Thousand Heathens. Fits far better, in my opinion. Just wanted to let y'all know.

Genius :D

Saa

....or something like that

Mine are for serkan and callor, both scream pyscotic but able to command and keep a clearer less distracted head on their shoulders

and the sallie guy deffo for melta duties, not sure who the other should be, possibly (much as it pains me to admit that scum of a legion are good) the siege spec imperial fist bloke. Now please excuse me while i was my mouth out with acid :-p

Any word form the mods'o'doom about a wip for this?

My vote Saa and Callor.

On the flag. With what you are talking about (star and reaver symbol flanking the skele) it seems to me like it will be a little busy. If it were me I would go for something simple, and minimalist.. But that's just me. Like maybe if you wanted to incorporate all of them in one symbol you could have a skeleton hand clutching a chaos star* in the manner of the Astral Claws hand. Showing that Akan's strength to wield the Gods power as a weapon or whatever.

(*vraks version http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/image...ar_of_Chaos.jpg with the lack of symmetry in the star it self. Probably simplified a little)

Or you could just give the skeleton a crown.. heh.

Anyways just some ideas on that. Just wanna say feel free to ignore everything I say.

As for DIY IA I think it would be pretty cool. I really like this log.

Although Ixion got a vote (woohoo) I would of given him some redeeming features if I had known. Haha.

Anyways this is looking super cool.

Saa the Flayer has a couple of votes :D I'm honored!

I'm just pleased he made it into this motley crew

Saa

......or something like that

Great thread Heathens! I've really been enjoying the characters everyone has come up with. Its good to see some of the less well known chapters getting a mention. I tried to get a character description written for a condemned NL mercenary but it didn't happen :D Maybe next time.

Can't wait to see these fabulous characters built up as minis (no pressure or anything). They're going to be bad**s!

Heh...I think I can safely call this vote finished. Champion Korovius, Champion Callor, please choose your wargear...congratulations!

Next up, the squad's meltagus. Who gets 'em? Vote away, gents.

Finally, I've gotten the final word from up high about posting the the mortals of this army here. The short answer is No. Due to this, I'm looking around for a different place to post the army, so all of you can enjoy it. I don't go to any other forums other than the B & C, so any suggestions of good, friendly forums would be helpful.

@Yogi: I'd actually thought about the 'Crown' Idea with the chaos star, but I was afraid it'd look too much like a halo instead. On second thought though, I think that'd work pretty darn well, while keeping the flag simple. Thanks for the re-inspiration, man. :D

@Zincite: I've been wondering if someone was going to pitch a Fallen Angel character, and I'm glad you did. I'll add him in. Very nice, just two questions...

First, Terran or Calibanite? Mainly wondering for modeling purposes, and totally your decision, although I gotta admit that I've always wanted to paint a Terran Fallen Angel... :devil: Everyone always does the damn robes...

Second, he seems to like skulls and hunting a lot...am I detecting a slight 'khornate' feel to this guy, or am I imagining it?

Sorry about the late reply, brother, my life and computers have restrained me from answering until this point. :D

Firstly, Terran, but there's cloth there. Not the full blown monk-dude thing, more like this, the guy in the background, was how I imagined him. To the second, not Khornate as such. More a severe obsession. Khorne embodies simply letting go of all restraints and holds, letting the rage flow. Zython is a Xarl, rather than a Uzas, if you will.

Cheers for accepting Zython. ^_^

Since I missed the Squad leader voting, I'll vote towards Maxmillion and Tritus for ze Meltas. EDIT: Amended.

Archived