Your super-guy rig using terrain is brilliant.  One question, though... do you intend to keep the mechanicus skulls on the regulator turned sideways?  Don't know how difficult it would be to saw that part off and turn it so that it is oriented correctly... but doing so would go a long way, IMHO, in hiding the origin of its parts, as the sideways skulls are a bit disconcerting.

Thanks for the kind words. Oh yes, a few small details might remain sideways, but any large/obvious details like that will be removed, covered, and/or rotated. You'll see when I get around to taking a picture of the progress. You'll all see then! *Maniacal laugh*

Ok, so the Ordinatus had to be placed in stasis for a while so I could focus on something for the studio before I put too many hours towards a personal project. It will return. But, I also came to the conclusion that work completing the project in this post would give me the experience I need to get the best possible results when I start trying to print the more complex forms of the Ordinatus chassis. I’ve almost got the cannon itself complete (and I’ll show that in the near future when it’s done but it still needs the focusing array – just wait, I’m quite pleased!) but just getting that much done informed me that I needed to turn my attention to some studio projects first.

Many moons ago I was asked if I would consider doing complete vehicle models. I answered that I was eager to get to that level someday but at the time the effort required to finish a complete model like that with every detail created to my hobby-OCD standards seemed daunting and/or simply out of reach; but then I got good at 3D modeling. Fast-forward a bit, and despite getting my hands on a very good DLP 3D printer that opened the door to a new world of design and manufacturing, size limitations restricted how far (read: how large) I could take my ambitions; but then there was (finally!) a significant price-to-performance jump in 3D printing technology. So today I’m pleased to say that, yes, I think I’ll be making good on my talk many months ago that I need to start doing larger projects as a better foundation for the studio to build on.

I’ve also been asked on several occasions if I would consider distributing my designs as STL files for people to 3D print themselves. Beyond the honest hesitancy, I had to let my designs go off into the digital wild of the internet, I was genuinely skeptical of just how many people had access to high-resolution 3D printers that would make the market really worthwhile. Well, despite the effect of the warp storms that have distorted so much over the last few years it seems that 3D printing was at a tipping point that even current disruptions in day-to-day life could not stop. In the last few years in particular the previously mentioned significant price-to-performance jump in resin 3D printing tech that made my own ambitions larger, has also made it much more attractive and attainable to many more enthusiast-level hobbyists who are picking up a 3D printer. So yes, given recent developments I think STL files will be on the menu soon. Note, this will not be replacing plans to get the casting studio up and running at a proper sustained ongoing capacity but this will help that part of the studio get going.

sV2Ucl6.png

∙ Lost in the Nurgle-induced warp storms that consumed our planet in 2020, the delay may have actually been a good thing.

S9s4fJ4.png

∙ Now, not just 3D modeled as a demonstration, but updated and carefully redesigned for resin 3D printing and proper assembly.

953zsUb.png

∙ And this time, I’m quite serious… Now entering real-space, [+++ Pattern Designation To Be Determined +++] Medium APC.

This has been printed with an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro with a 20-micron layer height and believe it or not, it’s still only a proof-of-concept prototype that still needs some final adjustments to the design to improve the visual quality and fit during assembly. Once those adjustments are complete and the components are properly set up for printing, if I can do it, then anyone with a similar setup can do the same. Because this hobby has a major ‘some assembly required’ component it will attract a larger than average percentage of the community who is willing to add the extra steps required to have the creative control that a good 3D printer can provide. That said, people who are predicting that 3D printing is going to turn tabletop gaming completely upside-down and blindside GW in some dramatic way don’t know very much about injection mould mass production, economies of scale, and the seductive lure of convenience. Regardless of how deep the 3D market will penetrate the hobby the vast majority of consumers will always prefer to simply open a box/bag and remove the desired product. The idea of adding even a fraction of the added time and effort of 3D printing, regardless of payoff, is simply a non-starter. So, it seems simple to see that the studio needs to use the digital assets to create STL files for the 3D printing market and then direct the returns generated towards turning the designs into cast resin kits for everyone who just wants to build the damn things, not give 3D printed birth to them.

Interested in what you see? Intrigued by what you’ve read? Want to help the studio out in this endeavour? Stay tuned. Further updates and information coming soon.

That's awesome looking

Thanks for the kind words and the positive feedback. While it's notably quieter on the boards right now the reception I'm getting from people feeling the tug of 3D printing or simply liking the model has been very encouraging. Right now I'm waiting on more printing resin so more updates are coming in the near future.

BA7bMfV.png

∙ Oh yeah, in case anyone is wondering, yes, this vehicle will absolutely have a selection of weapon systems.

I didn't want anyone to think this was all just about the vehicle chassis that's been seen before. Naturally, anything that dressed up and ready for a night on the town needs some accessories. However, I'm holding off printing prototypes until I've worked the kinks out of the tank and that should help me avoid issues with the weapons. In theory...

Oh don't be silly, this is the dedicated APC chassis. Sponsons and a turret are for the future battle tank variant(s), don't cha' know. Because of how the hinges are integrated into the side and that the top will need a reconfiguration, those changes are best done with an alternative design. I'll need lots of ongoing variety and selection for the coming months, after all.

*Subtle emits a gleeful binaric screeching so harsh it makes your teeth itch*

wH0cYFS.png

∙ I’m sorry daddy had to force you into tracks that are a bit too small, my darling.

hr2cqTS.png

∙ But look at how nicely they suit you.

OUzG9we.png

∙ I can hardly believe how you’ve grown from an inspiration in my mind into something actually real.

*Subtle glances up with a questioning expression*

What? Yes, I sometimes talk to my models in an endearing fashion. And when they look this good they’re deserving of some flattering words. *Subtle glances over* Aren’t you, darling?

However, despite how good the APC looks this is still just a proof-of-concept prototype used to test all sorts of things and work out any kinks in this design and hopefully future designs. It broke about eight times when I was assembling it (you might notice a crack here or there) and there are various minor fit issues primarily because the tolerances are too tight in a few key places and there is some minor warping. While the lower cost resin printers available today are absolutely amazing there’s still a certain amount of minor distortion that creeps up in places due to the lower cost printing resin and the pull/tension/suction forces that happen during the process. The accuracy is still very good (I think the images attest to that) but now I’ve discovered that some parts need a tiny bit more space to accommodate the assembly of the model without a lot of sanding beyond what’s normally required to clean up due to the printing process.

I want to reprint the hatches to improve them (and not break them this time) but beyond that, this is a very successful first step. Several bottles of printing resin are on order and the next round of prints should make sure I’ve got a lock on designing this scale of model for the printers on the market today. It’s still more effort and cost than a kit out of a box but that’s the expense of creating something more exclusive and unique like this. Stay tuned for the next round of test prints that I’m confident will work out the majority of the issues I ran into while building this and when it’s ready to release into the wild I’ll also explain further what’s going to be happening with the studio over the coming weeks, months, and years.

That looks AWESOOOOME! Well done for making this a reality, SD.

Two questions:
- how about making the side hatches compatible with FW Deimos Rhino doors? 
- can we get a size comparison next to a rhino? I just love to see how big it is, exactly (and you know as much as the next person that even though you wrote down the dimensions, there's nothing like actually seeing a miniature to see how big something is :) )

BaobETr.png
∙ Will you look at that, it’s almost like I was expecting someone to ask and I’ve already taken the photo. As you can see, it's been eating it's Wheaties.

Thanks. I'm quite please how it's turning out, to say the least. I've seen your suggestion and I was going to answer but it just didn't make in to the last reply. First, just because it kinda' looks like a Deimos door doesn't mean the hinges or diameter are anywhere near the same. The chassis is much larger then a Rhino and odds are the doors will be too large as well. This is meant to be a completely independent design that takes many design cues from GW/FW but stands on its own. Could I adjust my design to match a door that will likely be out-of-scale for the design... maybe, but I think you can see why I'm skeptical and I'd have to actually get my hands on some Deimos doors and see if it would work... and that's another step/expense that's making the idea even more a hassle. Again, maybe, but it was't something that was planned and it would be done as an additional alternative piece at some future point; that's the beauty of digital design, an alternative component that fits perfectly can always be created from the original.

But, note that part of why the model looks so good is how it's broken apart so it can be printed in pieces at the angles that get the best possible results; I really am trying to design these for 3D printing. The outer components that contain the majority of the details for the entire sides of the model are all one part like that so they can be printed at a very particular angle to achieve the best possible surface quality and detail fidelity all in one go. It's kind of a feature, not a bug, to avoid splitting the part any more then needed. 3D printing forces some limitations on creating large boxy models like this and simply adding the door in this way avoids a few things that can be dealt with, but sometimes its simply more practical to split the difference and save your sanity and not try to add every possible alternative.

Congratulations! She's a lovely child :)

I'm thinking if the top hatches should be arranged in a single line like they are now. I had this thought when I saw the concept with a turrets - there are obvious collisions of movement/firing lanes. I think the top-most hatch should be more towards the middle of the top plate.

Yup! Its a 200 gram bundle of joy! As always, thanks for the kind words and feedback but with the design of this chassis I’m not too worried about the hatch placement, which is inspired by the source concept sketch and the Land Raider. Besides, moving it to the center won’t make that much of a difference and moving it all the way to the other side would be a considerable change to the top component and the fictional layout of the crew and troops that are supposed to be inside. From this perspective, crew and hardware to the left, cargo to the right.

kfe5HbZ.png

∙ The main rear turret for this chassis is designed to lift the weapon up-and-over to center it and give it some clearance.

Naturally, there are plans to make various other weapon systems to help provide more counts-as options. And remember, unless the target is directly in front of the vehicle (and that’s what the not-Bolters are for) a projectile based weapon is generally aiming slightly above the target as the ammunition will need to fly in a subtle arc to the target to counteract gravity. Of course in this sci-fi setting direct energy weapons are going to be different, but even then I think the current design accommodates those possibilities.

Now, when a sibling for this chassis starts to take form that has sponsons and a turret, there’s a good chance the turret will shift to the center or perhaps the other side. I’ve got a thing for trying to make asymmetry work. Symmetry has its place but it tends to be a bit dull/safe and I think breaking it up with some asymmetry suits the 40k aesthetic that I’m after.

I'm sorry but I'm totally not buying your explanation of the weapon applications and uses :D From both modern tactics and and the grimdark setting perspective if something can go wrong, it definitely will and military equipment should be designed to accommodate that. I think that moving it ~2mm towards the center would solve the issue while keeping the general feel and the cargo-equipment separation you mentioned.

But I'm not going to press it and will enjoy the overall looks instead :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

++++++
++++++++++
Scanning…
++++
Comm-Link ∙ Signal Detected…
++++++++
Field Harmonics ∙ Modulating…
++++++++++
+++++
Adjusting Frequency…
++++++++++
Wide Field Antenna ∙ Initializing…
+++++
Comm-Link ∙ Attempting Reconnect…
++++++++
++++
Interference Variable Shift ∙ Decrease 2.104–1.350
+++
Field Harmonics ∙ Modulating…
++++++++++
Interference Variable Shift ∙ Decrease 1.350–0.517
+++++++
Comm-Link ∙ Attempting Reconnect…
+++++
Adjusting Frequency…
+++++++++
+++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
++++++++++
+++
++++++

gKvrKO8.png
+++ Image Archive ∙ Corrupt! +++ Data Uplink ∙ Error! +++ Cogitators ∙ Offline! +++ Motive Force Input ∙ Cycling… +++ Repair Protocols ∙ Initializing… +++

++++
+++++++++
Cogitators ∙ Reinitializing…
++++++
Data-link Connection ∙ Repairing…
+++
Archive Recovery ∙ Ongoing…
+++++++
++++++++++
+++