Wulfebane's WIP Projects (Pic Heavy!)

Wulfebane

Have you been stocking up on wolf cloaks?

Hehe, yeah for this pack I originally intended to have all of them with the wolf cloaks, then all their other parts being completely unique from each other ( except the shoulder pads) but the WG kinda negates all that because I built him before having this idea.

...but the WG kinda negates all that because I built him before having this idea.
Hows your GS fu?

Awesome models,it that green(horn) a joke for me or is it your rendition of me?

A joke for you. XD He's the greenest of the bunch, but I couldn't resist tossing him the 'horn'.

GS wouldn't have resolved the issue, I think. The chestpiece and backpack were already used on the WG before deciding to do the "everyone's different" approach to this pack. Going back in and hacking those bits up and reGSing them, would've been too costly, and a bit pointless, since they're good looking bits.

Actually, I didn't finish them yet. >.>

Since I was piecing the models together with individual bits orders instead of just buying the box set (didn't want the ogres, etc) I had a mis-shipping of the legs and since then had to switch priorities to graduating and looking for a job, etc. Once I get enough funds to reorder those bits, I'll start back up on those conversions...regardless of whether the rumors of new TWC coming are true.

Truly amazing work wulfebane, ive been painting my wolves for a long long while, and this is exactly what ive been striving to achieve. Would love to see a full painting guide from start to finish. If ive missed it somewhere please let me know. I have the same problem with my goblin green bases, though I think the green really makes the grey "pop". Awesome.

Third Hunter finished.

A bit longer in the tooth, this one. Specializes in tactical weaponry over hand to hand and was already older than his packmates when he was Chosen. Regardless, he knows which weapon is needed to get the job done and isn't about to let the pups take to scraps without him.

med_gallery_59676_5870_1735836.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_539224.jpg

Magnetized the arm in case I decide to fill this squad out to 10man later so I'll have the option for a 2nd melta/plasma, etc.

med_gallery_59676_5870_183077.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_388159.jpg

You paint some of the best faces I've ever seen. Any time you want to post a step-by-step on how you do that I would greatly appreciate it!

When this challenge is done, I'll see about making a TuT article for my process. Most likely it'll be one of the new TWC heads, just to keep my own stuff moving along.

looking brilliant - I must ask how you did the shine on the axe-edge?

+1

... and the "glowing" effect on the runes! I must know all your secrets, I want my models to look as awesome as yours!

For starters, I use both Citadel and P3 paints on my models. Haven't branched out to Vallejo or other brands yet.

Ok, for the axe, I started with a base coat of Necron Abyss, then highlighted edges with a thin line of Morrow White (P3). Then I basically made a gradient of Morrow White, Arcane Blue (P3), Meridian Blue(P3), and Cygnar Blue Base (P3), in that order, blending them in with a liquitex matte medium. If it got too "bright", I'd tone it back with some Asurmen Blue wash (GW) which I applied to the darkest areas in puddles, then faded up.

For the runes, I painted after the axe was done. I took a small dot of Frostbite (P3) and touched the tip of the brush to water to grab just enough to let the runes fill in on their own, but not drown them. Then I went back in with Arcane Blue and Meridian Blue and traced the edges of the runes (which also helped clean up any of the Frostbite that may have gotten away). I used Meridian for the runes in the brighter area of the axe and Arcane for the darker area so they'd stand out more.

Fifth Hunter done. All that's left is my standard bearer.

This one surpasses his peers in martial prowess in the arena. Never backs down from a challenge. He feels he should be pack leader, but his hot-headedness gets in the way.

med_gallery_59676_5870_819187.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_1478769.jpg

Did you greenstuff the strap across the chest holding the bolter? He looks great as usual...

For the runes, I painted after the axe was done. I took a small dot of Frostbite (P3) and touched the tip of the brush to water to grab just enough to let the runes fill in on their own, but not drown them. Then I went back in with Arcane Blue and Meridian Blue and traced the edges of the runes (which also helped clean up any of the Frostbite that may have gotten away). I used Meridian for the runes in the brighter area of the axe and Arcane for the darker area so they'd stand out more.

So you watered down white to almost wash-like consistency then dabbed it into the recesses? Smart. Then trace around with a lighter colour blending the white to the blue. It sounds so simple when you explain it...

So you watered down white to almost wash-like consistency then dabbed it into the recesses? Smart. Then trace around with a lighter colour blending the white to the blue. It sounds so simple when you explain it...

Yeah, but it'll likely take 2-3 passes of the white to make it really vibrant. The more watered down it is, the less bright it is, until built up. You'll also want a reeeaaally fine point brush and just dab it into the recess, don't bother running the brush over the whole rune. With the right water-to-paint mix, you can get the paint to fill the rune with a single dab to avoid getting streaks on the edges.

Archived