@ Brother Lucian....hehe, you're welcome msn-wink.gif

@ Tiger9gamer....get yourself a wip thread and start posting them! smile.png

@ stobz....ta very muchly for the positive comments, means a lot to me. As for the blue robes, they aren't particularly complicated (forgive the mix of old and new GW paints).....

Basecoat - Mordian Blue

Layer - Enchanted Blue (make sure no Mordian Blue is left showing)

Wash - Asurmen Blue

At this stage, it should be a nice deep, rich, Royal Blue

Layer - Enchanted blue (very thin layer, so some of royal blue is showing through, particularly in the deep crevices)

Layer - Teclis Blue (raised areas and robe edges only)

Edge highlight - Ice Blue (only on edge of robes and high point of folds)

and then the secret ingredient....

Tamiya Weathering Master - Sand (brushed lightly across the lower parts of the bike and robes, from the front of the model to the back of the model, to create a dusty finish, which also serves as a final edge highlight of a lighter shade than the ice blue.

smile.png

And, just in case anyone was wondering, the bike and torso are from the Dark Vengeance sergeant, the head is from the Dark Vengeance Librarian, and the sword and forearm are from the Space Marine Command Squad box.

Love the work on the knights and command squad ... Quick question though, do you do anything to remove the DA specific iconography or do you leave things like the broken swords as is, and just include them in the GotC colour scheme?

I was never really sure if I should be trying to remove them when doing a successor chapter scheme.

Love the work on the knights and command squad ... Quick question though, do you do anything to remove the DA specific iconography or do you leave things like the broken swords as is, and just include them in the GotC colour scheme?

I was never really sure if I should be trying to remove them when doing a successor chapter scheme.

Edit: and after the ret of the pics loaded I could answer my own question ... Sigh patience!

Hehe, lol..... when I first started painting the chapter, I hadn't really considered them as a DA successor, as I was using Codex:SM. I liked the DA iconography though, so used that for my chapter (they were going to be called the Storm Swords or something equally banal msn-wink.gif ). It was only after about a year of painting (at the end of 2011) that I actually read the DA codex, and realised that I was painting them in a very similar way to the GotC (completely by accident). So, because I liked the DA fluff anyway, and because I was already using DA iconography all over my marines, I thought "why not!", and turned them into a DA successor. The rest is 13 pages of this thread smile.png

By the way......it is 2 1/2 years to the day that I picked up a paintbrush (to paint an RAF Harrier GR3), having previously stopped painting WFB in 2004. On thursday it'll be 2 1/2 years since I bought my first 5 Space Marines from ebay.... biggrin.png

Thought I would come and take a little look at your guys. Nice work mate, like the colours used. Looking back at the Belial, I think I stumbled across him while looking into possibly painting some first legion before I settled on the last legion. You should paint heresy era marines :D

Thought I would come and take a little look at your guys. Nice work mate, like the colours used. Looking back at the Belial, I think I stumbled across him while looking into possibly painting some first legion before I settled on the last legion. You should paint heresy era marines biggrin.png

Ah, if only my bank balance would allow it.....apart from the odd bits purchase from ebay, I haven't bought any new minis since my big DA purchase in January. I even sold off my High Elves for £120 on ebay to fund my DA purchases......oh well, I still have the rest of my GotC to finish off, as well as bringing all the early models up to the current standard.....then I've got a load of Orks to paint......and a load of WFB Dwarfs.......

I reckon I've got enough to keep me going for 18 months, by which time they may have got round to releasing the 1K Sons and/or 1st Legion stuff on FW smile.png

• 4 weeks later...

Huzzah and hurrah! I have finished my 4th and final vow for the ETL II. I would make a 5th vow in the week or so before the end of the competition, but I go on holiday in 2 days and the paints are banned from family holidays smile.png

So, I painted 1300 points worth of models, to add to the 780 I did in the ETL last year and the 1200 or so I did for the PtR.....that makes almost 3300 points of Guardians painted in the last 15 months, all down to the hard work of Captain Semper, The Shadow Guard and a few select others. That's not to mention Grand Master Belial for encouraging me to write up the GotC fluff and get the lovely banner in my sig below. When you add that to the Dark Vengeance Chaos models, 6 pieces of scenery, an Inquisitor, and 24 WFB dwarfs that I've also painted in the period, all in all, I think its been a very productive 15 months in the hobby.

I still have a lot to do however. I've got to repaint about 45 marines from the old pre 2012 colour scheme to the 2012+ scheme, and redo about 6 HQ models, finish off some Dreadnought weaponry and some spare multi-meltas and heavy bolters for my attack bikes and speeders. I've also got to paint 6 more bikes and a Typhoon speeder, and convert an old speeder into a Tempest. And finally, build my Dark Talon/Nephilim, a predator and 5 more veterans....

I've also got some lootas, burnaz and a dakkajet and bommer to do, along with some more members of my non-GW Inquisitorial warband..... oh, and 2000 points of WFB dwarfs..... and I'm getting the urge to get some Tau as well.... heeeellllpppp! msn-wink.gif

But before I sign off.... here is vow 4 complete...

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/2nd%20Company/RWCS1_zpsfc4e3d1a.jpg

along with the Champion

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/2nd%20Company/RWCS3_zpsad140f47.jpg

and standard bearer closeup..... msn-wink.gif

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/2nd%20Company/RWCS2_zpsfd97416f.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/2nd%20Company/RWCS4_zps207a8c9c.jpg

I've been wanting to do this for ages.....

Excerpt from one of the ancient data scrolls kept in the repository buried under the Chapter Fortress on Mortikah VII -

Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, versus 9 through 21

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/2nd%20Company/RWCS2_zpsfd97416f.jpg

[A Battle Brother is writing text on a banner. A Terminator catches him in the act]

Terminator: What's this, then? "Xenos eunt domus"? People called Xenos, they go, the house?

Battle Brother: It says, "Aliens go home. "

Terminator: No it doesn't ! What's the Games Workshop latin for "Alien"? Come on, come on !

Battle Brother: Er, "Xenos" !

Terminator: Vocative plural of "Xenos" is?

Battle Brother: Er, er, "Xeni" !

Terminator: [Writes "Xeni" over the Battle Brother's graffiti] "Eunt"? What is "eunt"? Conjugate the verb, "to go" !

Battle Brother: Er, "Ire". Er, "eo", "is", "it", "imus", "itis", "eunt".

Terminator: So, "eunt" is...?

Battle Brother: Third person plural present indicative, "they go".

Terminator: But, "Aliens, go home" is an order. So you must use...?

[He twists the Battle Brother's ear]

Battle Brother: Aaagh ! The imperative !

Terminator: Which is...?

Battle Brother: Aaaagh ! Er, er, "i" !

Terminator: How many Aliens?

Battle Brother: Aaaaagh ! Plural, plural, er, "ite" !

Terminator: [Writes "ite"] "Domus"? Nominative? "Go home" is motion towards, isn't it?

Battle Brother: Dative !

[the Terminator holds a power sword to his throat]

Battle Brother: Aaagh ! Not the dative, not the dative ! Er, er, accusative, "Domum" !

Terminator: But "Domus" takes the locative, which is...?

Battle Brother: Er, "Domum" !

Terminator: [Writes "Domum"] Understand? Now, write it out a hundred times.

Battle Brother: Yes sir. Thank you, sir. Hail the Emperor, sir.

Terminator: Hail the Emperor ! And if it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/2nd%20Company/RWCS4_zps207a8c9c.jpg

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, it reads different on each side.

Smaaaaaaaart ;) thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

These little things make it worth all those hours painting...but its the kind of stuff you can't tell non-gamers...they would never understand the joy and would even consider you some nasty things :P

One of my favourite Monty Python bits..... Plus the bikers arn't bad too ;)

You just need to try to get the coconut and the dead parrot sketch in somewhere and I can die happy.

Hehe! Glad you all like the Python reference.....now how can I get the parrot sketch in there? (2 Watchers standing over the Lion deep in the heart of the Rock.... "He's not dead, he's just restin'!")

I suppose now I'll have to do some group shots of the army after I come back from holiday smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Phew, so the ETL II is over! 1300 points of 1st and 2nd Company painted across 4 vows. Last year I only managed 780 points, mainly due to a bit of painting fatigue in July. This year I persevered and kept on going! smile.png

So, where does that leave the Guardians?

Well, my Deathwing is essentially complete..... although I've almost got the bits for another 5 man squad, and need a Chaplain to round out the HQ choices. My Ravenwing is getting there too. I've got 3 more normal bikes and 3 Black Knights to paint, along with 2 more speeders and the Dark Talon/Nephilim, and then that's that. Greenwing-wise, I've got a Predator, 5 veterans and a combat squad to paint, but the main thing with the Greenwing is that I've got about 25 or 30 models to bring up to my current painting standard.....

The plan then, is to finish off the combat squad this month, and see if The Shadow Guard has any new competitions comparable to the PtR up his sleeve. I'm hoping to paint the flyer in September and the Predator in October, fitting in everything else around that so that I can effectively declare completion by Xmas.

After that its on with the foul xenos (Orks and Tau) until FW release a DA Contemptor! smile.png

In the meantime, I'm hoping to take a few army shots if I can get the time to set it all up.....

Great work with the banner mate! :lol: However I'm sure that in the Rock there will be no graduation from scout to marine unless you ace the GW Latin class! hahahaha!!!

As far as DA Contemptor coming out of FW, sadly, I wouldn't hold my breath (unless you know something ;))

I'm looking forward for your "Greenwing"!

p.s. did the site outage eat away all the fun Monty Python references? A lesson to all for going off topic! :devil: ph34r.png

Painting has continued furiously over the past week. I have finally finished off the remaining 5 tactical marines from Dark Vengeance, and have repainted 5 bolter armed tacticals and 10 Assault Marines (originally painted in 2011... badly). cool.png

Hoping to get some group pictures done this weekend, to show off the army as it currently stands..... according to Battlescribe I have 4920 points completed and painted to a standard I am happy with, and a further 1500 or so points either unpainted or requiring repainting to bring up to current standards....

This week, I have been mostly painting.... cockpit detailing and engine scorch marks....

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/works%20in%20progress/photo4_zpscbeb9fbc.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/works%20in%20progress/photo3_zps4b77d5bd.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/works%20in%20progress/photo1_zpsa926ee38.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/works%20in%20progress/photo2_zps0ecc975b.jpg

Nice! I really like the weathering on the engines. I've always loved the look of "heat staining" as going the orange into purple route thing looks. Didn't think to do it myself on my own flyer as I've only ever done it on Assault Cannon barrels, so I think I might have to revisit it :D

Archived