WLK's E Tenebrae Lux Vow Paint Blog and ETL Part 5 Vow

Killing me, Kieran!! I don't think I compete with that!! AND, you had all that lying around??!! *falls over*

End of Line

while this isnt a pecker competition, over the last year I have traded away 2 boxes of wolf guard terminators and 4 boxes of the space wolves packs...and still had this laying around.

frankly I have the pieces to add a pack or three more in, but that would require stripping (more) models to be ETL valid and I havent the heart or time to do that. I have around 6 rhinos and 2 stormwolves in the "almost finished" and "just about there stop being so lazy"  pile as well.

I usually poach players who get in the Wolves because they are "kewl" (and that hurt to type) and get away from them just as quickly. I get more Wolves, they get cash or trade towards whatever the next flavor of gaming is. 

Every once in a while I screw it up, like the dwarf and high elf armies I am sitting on as GW destroys Warhammer Fantasy, but i spend little and trade ALOT. 

WLK

@ our "good" Captain: I wonder if anything can wake the slumbering Wolf giant...

WLK

I am not the only one motivated by the staggering amount of models you have vowed in the past, and I am sure you will do so in the future, Kieran!! I have more kits sitting around than I care to as well. I was merely making jest at your post.

I am not competing with you, but along side you. I want to see if I can finish a vow and actually hit anywhere near what you have been able to do in the past!!

Semper, then more mjod over here please!!

End of Line

I am not the only one motivated by the staggering amount of models you have vowed in the past, and I am sure you will do so in the future, Kieran!! I have more kits sitting around than I care to as well. I was merely making jest at your post.

I am not competing with you, but along side you. I want to see if I can finish a vow and actually hit anywhere near what you have been able to do in the past!!

End of Line

I'm motivated by his ETL vows, and technically I AM competing with him....

End of Line

I'm motivated by his ETL vows, and technically I AM competing with him....

meh, the 3k limit has demotivated me. while I doubt I was going to vow more, simply being told I cannot is a setback for my nerd pride.

once this week settles down, i'll get around to vowing.

WLK 

Just to make sure we're on the same wavelength, it's 3,000pts per vow .So the actual total that you can pledge is up to 15,000pts.

Furthermore if you make at least one 3,000 vow you'll reveive the badge of the Hero! If you do all your vows at 3,000 pts each (to the total of 15k) you'll get the badge of the Martyr!

I just wanted to limit the influence that some "painting daemons" have in the game (without of course eliminating) who were painting tens of thousands of points and focus somewhat on the team performance...

If the rule does not work well I'll consider lifting it next year, but so far, said painting daemons have happily played along.

Your call of course, if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't. :) I just wanted to clarify and explain the rationale.

I can understand the logic as you presented it, but hardly think that limiting "painting daemons" is/was the right move.

I produce to what I call the 3ft standard. Looking at the models at the table height from a foot or 3 away, they are passable. Many I have seen on B&C utterly nuke my standards and poitn committments.

It's kinda hard to think with a team mentality when your team refuses to participate. This ETL has a decent wolf turn out, but turn out doesnt equal production. Fenris has birthed some boastful sons and daughters, and the previous ETLs has found them wanting.

WLK

Well first of all let me tell you that I really value this discussion - more so because it comes from an ETL veteran that played along from the very beginning... msn-wink.gif

So let me try to give you some further insight as to why the limitation of the mega-vows was decided:

• Overall ETL balancing: In the past people with the skill and the opportunity became really dominant within their faction and one of the primary reasons said factions won the overall competition. We are not talking here a few thoushand points but tens of thousands! Unforutnately though, those "painting daemons" were not evenly distributed within the factions, giving the factions they favor a clear and distinct advantage. I would like to limit that - although not eliminate it completely. That way the smaller vows become more relevant too, giving players with more down-to-earth vows a feeling that they do matter and their vows are not only relevant but dearly sought after!
  • Awards system balancing: I also believe that people who do paint huge amounts of minis in three months (we're talking entire Apocalypse-sized armies and then some) deserve recognition and they certainly have my respect. However the award system was ojnly recognising the effort of the biggest vow. Sure painting 27k pts in three months is breathtraking but I think it's also awesome if you paint 22k, 17k etc. The new award system recognises the effort of those who have the discipline to paint an entire army in one go (the Badge of the Hero for everyone doing at least one vow of 3,000pts) and for the "painting daemons" there is the ultimate recognition of the Badge of the Martyr if they make all their vows to 3,000pts to a total of 15,000. That way people that paint enormous amounts get the respect of the ETL - not just the one with the highest point-count.
  • Focus on quality over quantity: The ETL is a painting event in an internet community. There is no tangible prize for the "winners" - you only get what you put into it. So if one can paint say 20k points but now the rules force him to paint 15k maybe he can use the time it would take him to paint those extra 5k points to try to improve his technique or try new things to expand his skill level - no matter how high it may already be - even Golden Daemon winners can improve on their standards... So this encourages interaction, exchange of ideas, tips, etc. Put more into it - get more out of it. smile.png
  • Why 3,000 pts? Well, truth is, it's arbitrary. I toyed with the idea of getting it down to 2,000pts per vow but it seemed too limiting while 4,000 per vow seemed to defeat the purpose - I might as well leave it limitless... I think 3,000pts is the equivalent of a fairly large army (or a normal sized army with a number of alternative options biggrin.png) and 15,000 enormous by any standards... So I went with that.
  • The new mentality: This year there are two major changes that should be viewed together in order to understand what I'm aming at. The first is to impose a limit on mega-vows as mentioned above and the other was to introduce the Completion Ratio weighting. That means that factions with smaller number of partiicpants may still go for a top position if they achieve high completion ratios combined with the fact that "painting daemons" are also capped. It is specifically designed to help factions that had low partiicpation in the past (like SWs and BAs) and to give them some credible chance to go for the top. It's not going to happen just becasue of the rules though - it will still require the frater to support the event and rise to the challenge. The BAs are doing very well this year - and the SWs are doing better than last time (although it may take more). Last year the average completion rate of the ETL was at the low 70s (73-74% if I recal correctly). If you manage 80% that will make an enormous difference and will propel the SWs to the top positions - provided of course some more reinforcements arrive in time! smile.png

I'm trying to make this as much a friendly event for the frater as possible and to make everyone feel included and that his/her contribution matters. Also keep in mind that interest from year-to-year and faction-to-faction varies with every ETL. In the first and second ETLs Chaos was a minor player. In the third ETL they became Champions out of nowhere and are still considered and ETL heavy-weight this year. HH was non-existant in the first ETL and now have (to this point) the largest following! The BAs went from a mid-of-the-range to relative obscurity only to dynamically rise again this year. They are showing great momentum and they will surely benefit from the new rule system. I cannot see why the SWs cannot do that either - and in fact they are in a much better shape this year vs. the previous (even if we are at the openning moves of the event).

Bottom line, unless you planned to do more than 15k points for this year I do not see how the rules are llimiting you. If anything, if you do 3k in one go (something that you've done before msn-wink.gif ) you will get recognition for your commitment - even if you do not become Faction Champion - something that was not possible in the past.

I am really looking for your feedback here - if you think there is a major oversight that distorts the potential result please tell me so. The ETL is a live beast and it evolves both with the community here on B&C as well as the developments in the hobby. I sure hope you join! smile.png

Kieran, I hope you will still be making a vow. You are much like the Wolf Lord your moniker suggests to many of us here on the B&C. "Fighting" along side you is motivating for me and would still continue to be so, even if you were to vow 135 points (yes, I meant to type 135!!).

But like you, I feel like the points level does go against the mentality of the wolves in particular. Go big, or go home. Quest for the honor and glory of battle. If you can do it, we can do it better. All are motivators for the offspring of Fenris that seem a tad stifled by the new rules set. Not that I dislike it, mind you. It allows me to go for the top and to prove myself as well. I like that aspect quite a lot.

But I see how it breaks your saga, and how that can be defeating in of itself.

End of Line

I was on the Dark Angels ETL page giving a brother a hard time, in the sake of fun, and had an idea. I'd like to further honor and motivate you if I could. "So it is that every time the two Chapters meet, a champion from each Chapter is called upon to refight the ancient duel between the two Primarchs in order that honor and tradition be satisfied." Would you do us the honor of being our champion! That is, if Captain Semper is up to the challenge :)

A challenge Space Wolf? What do you have in mind?

Let me remind you that I challenged the SWs in the first ETL and not only they delivered they came third overall! (take a look at my sig) :)

First let me apoligize for my silence here. The first 2 weeks of May had 2 family birthdays, 1 baby shower, Mother's Day, the Shrimp Festival (a big deal in my neck of the woods, and a pain in the butt for those who are not crazy about sea food or the additional 120,000 people who visit over a single weekend) as well as starting a second job. 
Then there is the NHL Hockey playoffs, which have absorbed my evenings nearly any night I wasnt a zombie.
So today is the first day I have a few spare moments...before Hockey starts again.

@Captain Semper: All of the below is just my opinion, without the knowledge of the inner workings of the ETL:

Overall ETL balance- this is a nearly impossible job. Some factions are able to drop units/models of ridiculous points cost with ease. Chaos, HH and Imp Guard can easily drop single models worth 400+ points. Some of these models are huge, so may equal larger models/squads that equal, but I cant look without wincing  at my HH RG squad of 10 assault models, little upgrades, worth 300+points.  
Some of us who dont rely on big models instead have to vow BIG to try and counter this, and it kinda hurts. 
(I am not saying the Wolves cant easily do this, but with the exception of Logan on his sled, most of our models are less than 200 pts)
Allowing Knights to ally with each faction is a help, but spread as they are to everybody it isnt a Wolf only strength

Awards system balancing- I think the Hero badge is a good idea, but dont agree with capping it at 3k. It doesnt really impact most people, and only serves to handicap the bigger vows. In the events I run I usually follow the K.I.S.S rule (Keep It Simple Silly). Creating a rule with no real impact on 95% of the participants just bothers me, and has me (and possible others?) refiguring vows and points for no real benefit. 
Its a rule seemingly made for the sake of another rule, which is (in my opinion) never a good thing.

Focus on quality over quanity-I dont think this is valid at all. the ETL has always focused on quality over quanity, so introducing a rule now to "promote" it just doesnt work.

Why 3,000 pts-Why include the rule at all? I agree 2k would have been even more limiting, but I could be crazy. I dont see the point of a rule that limits at a arbitrary point level.

The new mentality- Thats entirely up to you. Introducing the Completion Ratio weighing may be a worthwhile goal, but Im of the "go big or go home" mentality. Anything that limits that bothers me. 

I dont see me, or most people doing more than 15k, but why limit the chances of somebody hitting that achievement? So the little fish have a chance at swimming? Boo hoo. Suffer through it and maybe plan to be better in the future. Put models aside and hold off painting like I did last year. Hoping for the rules to bail you out just bothers me.

@RPR: While brooding in my funk is productive and all, I am planning to get offa my thinking end and start applying brush to model. I should have a posted vow in the next few hours, matters on how many heart attacks the Rangers give me tonight!

@GR_maddog: Challenge you say?

WLK

I, Wolf Lord Kieran, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete:

Wolf Lord in TDA, combi-melta, Black Death (175)

Njal Stormcaller (180)

Rune Priest in TDA, combi-melta, psychic hood (105)

Rune Priest in TDA, combi-melta, psychic hood (105)

Rune Priest in Runic Armor, Helm of Durfast, psychic hood, plasma pistol, melta bombs (135)

Rune Priest in Armor of Russ, plasma pistol, psychic hood, melta bombs (125)

Iron Priest on Thunderwolf mount (105)

Lone Wolf in TDA, thunder hammer + storm shield (75)

Lone Wolf in TDA, thunder hammer + storm shield (75)

Lone Wolf in TDA, wolf claw + combi-melta (65)

Wolf Guard Terminators x 5 (290)

..Pack Leader with combi-melta + chain fist

..3 WG with chain fists + combi-meltas

..1 WG with chain fist + combi-melta, Cyclone Missile Launcher

Wolf Guard Terminators x 5 (255)

..Pack Leader with Thunder hammer + storm shield

..1 WG with Assault Cannon + wolf claw

..2 WG with thunder hammer + storm shield

..1 WG with wolf claw+ storm shield

Wolf Guard Terminators x 5 (260)

..Pack Leader with frost axe + storm shield

..1 WG with frost axe + combi-melta

..1 WG with frost axe + storm shield, Cyclone Missile Launcher

..2 WG with frost axe + storm shield

Wolf Guard Terminators x 5 (270)

..Pack Leader with wolf claw + storm shield

..2 WG with wolf claws x 2

..1 WG with power fist + assault cannon

..1 WG with power fist + storm bolter

Thunderwolf Cavalry x 6 (505)

..Pack Leader with thunder hammer + storm shield

..4 TWC with thunder hammers + storm shields

..1 TWC with power fist + storm shields

Wolf Lord (265)

..Thunderwolf mount

..Krakenbone Sword, Armor of Asvald Stormwrath, Pelt of Balewolf

..storm shield

from Codex Space Wolves of total value 3,000 points on or before August 1st, 2015. Success will bring eternal glory to the Aett and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

WLK

First, welcome back!

Now,

A challenge Space Wolf? What do you have in mind?

And

@GR_maddog: Challenge you say?

I was referring to a bit of fluff in the last codex concerning a brawl between Russ and El' Jonson that lead to the SW DA feud. The last paragraph reads:

Since the passing of these two mighty Primarchs the Space Wolves and Dark Angels have grown ever further apart. Though they have fought together since, the ancient rivalry remains, So it is that every time the two Chapters meet, a champion from each Chapter is called upon tto refight the ancient duel between the two Primarchs in order that honour and tradition be satisfied.

Was hoping to inspire you, or at least put some fun back into this event for you.

Welcome back WLK! 

I will consider what you say above. I will also see how things unfold in this ETL and if needed I will be re-visiting this. Nothing is set in stone and the ETL re-invents itself every year. 

In the mean time: The Champ is back! And is on his way to becoming a Hero as well as a Champion! :tu:

Good luck mate!

• 1 month later...

Finally, an update.

Completed Wolf Lord, 3 RA Rune Priests, 2 TDA Rune Priests, and Lone Wolf in TDA

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/E%20Tenebrae%20Lux%20Vow%204/0618150021_zpsqauzw0z5.jpg

picture of Thunderwolf cav pack, Iron Priest on Thunderwolf, and Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/E%20Tenebrae%20Lux%20Vow%204/0618150031_zps6hznd7h2.jpg

all for now.

WLK

Archived