The Neurode Crusade - Heresy Warning

I think you have hit on a simply much more efficient method to achieve the same quality; it's 100% the right way to go. We all have the same doubts and get lured into spending too long on a line trooper who will disappear into a squad (or a casualty pile!) - save the headaches for your HQs and centrepieces! Your sanity will thank you, as will everyone who gets to see your awesome fully-painted army!

I get bogged down in the details all too often myself, even on the mini's that don't really need it. It's a habit, and one I'm trying to break, but it does give me satisfaction when it's all done. Do as you must, but I also second the motion to focus your time and immense effort on the centerpieces.

Thank you, brothers! I appreciate your feedback and - dare I say - words of reassurance.

So, while business isn't great in January 2023, I at least have more time to paint models.

jyNeinf.jpg

pukMl6m.jpg

xgh5OjC.jpg

lvigXdA.jpg

hU6uToo.jpg

8RHGC1O.jpg

dqnzVrJ.jpg

9Io9Bz0.jpg

BbkU5CE.jpg

For the next project, something very special:

Given my workload, I'm actually planning to organise my professional obligations in a way that'll allow me to basically have a spare day for painting stuff. I'm curious if this actually comes to be (either way, it's a win-win situation for me) and if so, whether I'll be able to paint two models in a day.

I'm really excited to get around to painting these models. You can notice that I made some alterations in an attempt to remove or hide the UM insignia. Since these are metal models, it wasn't easy, though. I figured that the "U" on the top bottom of the central strap on the guy on the left is close enough to a circle, so I added a little stud in the middle to imitate a gemstone, like many OG Marines models have. Similarly, I added some GS to the "U" on the belt buckle on the guy on the left. To further make the ornament more round, I intend to paint a circular highlight to distract from the protruding rectangular bits at the top (likewise with the small "U" on the chest plate of the guy on the left), I intend to make less visible through a paint job. We'll see how it turns out.

As for the colour scheme, these will be proper Sword Brethren and not 'Veteran Initiates' like most of my models. Considering the number of elite troops in my army, I decided to add another custom rank to my Crusade in order to avoid having a Marshal's Household army, consisting of around 50% of Sword Brethren (i.e. models with black pads and red trims). While I haven't made up my mind yet, I also think that I'll go with gold metallics for these guys and treat them as Helbrecht's bodyguards. The aquila on the helmets could be neat in silver (silver and black works nicely) but gold isn't too shabby either and adds to the sense of eliteness and nobility of the models, I guess.

ihey7Vb.jpg

More completions - my Honour Guards / Sword Brethren / Fancy Veterans with swappable weapons (the left hand is magnetised).

wWiYuSa.jpg

9veXtrm.jpg

Spoiler

pOWD4ja.jpg

dnPYIDs.jpg

yrFGCXi.jpg

kWTK76j.jpg

As for my next project, I'm actually thinking about taking a break from painting and maybe, just maybe, restarting my Thunderhawk project. The alternative is to paint some already-primed metal models (another chaplain, as well as some scouts).

Edited by Brother Christopher

Haha, thanks mate! Alas, I'm slowly running out of Ultramarines. I think I only have Telion and the HG Banner Bearer.

Overall, I still have ~100 models to paint.

- 15 (20) Power Armour Marines

- 11 Jump Pack Marines

- 20 Terminators

- 3 servitors

- 10 Scout Armor Neophytes

- 16 Bikes (including 2 Attack Bikes)

- 3 Centurions

- 2 Land Raiders

- 3 Flyers

- 3 Drop Pods

- 8 Rhino chassis

- 1 Sicaran (resin)

Having tallied the models, once again I am tempted to try and get rid of the Bikes. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of the models, neither the concept behind them. On the one hand, there are two reasons why I kinda want to keep them: the time I've already invested in the models (most were secondary market purchases: I needed to strip them of paint and/or reassemble them) and their gaming potential and the concern over regretting letting them go in the future. After all, an army needs a fast, cavalry-like element, right? On the other hand, I'll be working on models that don't excite me. Even if I'll keep them, I intend to do a quick paintjob on assembled models - to spare myself the effort.

I know that over the years, I've expressed doubts about keeping the bikes in my army on at least two occasions. It just shows that I'm kind of torn between not really wanting them and thinking that they may come in handy. A heart-v-reason sort of thing. Any updated, 2023, feedback on keeping a detachment of bikes? Should I paint them and use them in my future games (that I'm sure will come!) or should I save some time and sell them?

EDIT: I took a leap and did what I think is the more sound, future-oriented thing to do, i.e. I properly assembled, primed and started painting the first 5 bikes (including 1 Attack Bike with a metal side-cart). I'm curious how it'll go.

Edited by Brother Christopher

So, I've learnt another thing about myself. I really shouldn't think about 40k and post when I'm a bit overwhelmed with stuff. It makes me more fixated on things and less optimistic ;)

After spending some more time on thinking about the bike conundrum, I decided to pull the trigger on the matter and do the reasonable thing, at least from a gamer's perspective. I'm keeping the bikes, just in case they are useful in some capacity for either proper 40k (i.e. fielded as OG bikes), primaris bikes' proxies or for OnePageRules Grim Future.

I assembled the first five bikes and moved on to painting an Attack Bike with a metal gunner. I also wanted to see how long it takes me to paint one of these models since the idea was to cut corners and 'speed paint' the bikes. I tried to properly keep track of time and it turned out to be around 4 hours. That's not speedy for a speed paint but the time included fixing the model after dropping it to the floor. The pewter bits made the miniature quite radically unbalanced and it slipped out of my hand at one point. 

The painting process was quite pleasant, though. It wasn't straining or annoying since the process is "optimised" and the 4 hours probably came just from applying the initial layer(s) of paint to get the base colours done. The paint job isn't great but I think that the model will do and is probably better than that on my Land Speeders. The Multi-Melta is magnetised and I have the original metal Heavy Bolter as a replacement.

ywlyQre.jpg

5oaTwng.jpg

XixByJS.jpg

cBEe9sh.jpg

wp9ALM2.jpg

Either way, this will be my standard for all my non-character bikes. I will have two squads of 4 regular bikes and 1 attack bike with maybe different colours of weapons. It's not as tidy as the standard for my infantry models but it's better than no paint job at all or models that would have been sold ;) I'm hoping to get the time on regular bikes down to 2 hours per model. I'm genuinely curious if I'll manage to do that. It'd be a great mental boost but I also know that I won't rush things.

• 2 weeks later...

Four more Neophytes (3 metal scouts; the only plastic of the bunch is the guy with the shotgun) join the "painted" club in my crusade. Considering that I "speed painted" these models (i.e. took many shortcuts), I'm extremely happy with they turned out.

eZU3gmb.jpg

SHGfllh.jpg

Also, I restarted my plastic Thunderhawk project and managed to do some progress on the rear landing gear.

M3BrXmX.jpg

More photos in my other thread, down in the Forge subforum.

I'm glad I decided to take a look today. I like the Honor Guard/SB/ redone reworked Ultras in the Holy Black. The attack bike actually has me thinking about the possibility of painting m own bolter cases in the classic red. I like the touch of color it adds to your models. And the Neophytes are great, even if speed painted. They turned out well, and lavishing a lot of time on "meat shields" is really not the best option.

But, I'm extremely excited by the fact you've gotten some work done on the Thunderhawk again! I've been hoping you didn't just shelve the project and forget it. I know it's just landing gear struts, but I'm happy to see the progress again.

As always, your work is an inspiration, and I highly encourage you to keep at it!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback and words of motivation! I really appreciate that. I'm also surprised how quickly time flies. It's been almost a month since my last update. In the meantime, I managed to paint my FIRST EVER BIKE SQUAD... after 4-5 years since I bought my bikes and after around 10 instances I've almost sold them. I think that the idea of selling models comes from the fact how overwhelming the prospect of painting my Crusade is. The fact that I just can't seem to come to terms with speed painting doesn't help, too.

The bikes were pretty fun to paint. I tried to limit myself and paint them to a "tabletop standard", let's say 70% of what I usually do with my power-armoured infantry but even while doing so it took me 2.5 hours to finish one bike. And there's still 12 bikes to go... the numbers are quite overwhelming but I thing that I'll just try to roll with it. I mean, once I painted them, I really like the models.

vEIzQ7w.jpg

rbKvcZE.jpg

kZ5rxYF.jpg

It appears that I also made up my mind with regard to my Imperial Knight. For some time now, I've been toying with the idea of selling it and maybe getting a large SM tank instead, a Spartan or Kratos. However, after much deliberation, I think that an Imperial Knight should be more fun to paint and will be a nice centrepiece to my collection, a bit nicer than another tank.

I also started thinking about how to paint the IK - whether to keep it in the same colour palette as my Templars or to go crazy and try painting something completely different. Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter... I'm thinking turquoise or blue as the primary should be interesting. Any advice? Should I be more conservative with this one and or should I perhaps have some fun, regardless of how the model will stand out.

In terms of my short-term plans, I'll be working on a pewter Chaplain and then back to the Thunderhawk, at least for the next 1-2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Some better photos of the Initiate Bike Squad:

YPQfKqR.jpg

sWGuoBd.jpg

A metal Chaplain with Skull Helmet, probably my last ever 40k purchase (or at least the last purchase for this army). It's such a lovely, classic model and one of my all-time favourite chaplains, right next to the metal TDA Chappy: back in my student days, I couldn't justify the price when he was around and later, when he was OOP, I didn't feel like getting "another chaplain model." Luckily, I managed to buy him cheap. I slapped on a metal Jump Pack and he's ready smite some foes.

It was also a model that I really enjoyed painting. A nice break from my recent approach (i.e. paint models for the sake of having them done) on my Neophytes and Bikes.

I'm particularly happy how the Crozius' handle came out (with the marble-like effect) and with the skull helmet (after all these years, I'm still struggling with white/bone).

GwlYrIt.jpg

Spoiler

vIMnn7X.jpg

yRQPXgb.jpg

On the Thunderhawk front, I also made much progress; however, most of it isn't photo-worthy. I fixed some annoyances that I had, fitted some magnets and redid bits of the cockpit/flight deck. With regards to new bits, I did the rear landing pads/feet and the details in the recess for the front landing gear, including the landing leg and actuator-piston-thingy.

uHiDE0r.jpg

Spoiler

3g6ZlYY.jpg

D2Tr3lp.jpg

On 3/27/2023 at 10:06 PM, Urkh said:

Both the skull helmet and the golden skull pauldron are great! I always love seeing the different ways you color details as well.

Thanks! I appreciate that. With the different colours, I think this is a coping mechanism. I don't want to mix scales of models so I can't have nicer Primaris models to paint so I'm trying to entertain myself by getting the best out of what I have, haha.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:11 PM, Brother Carpenter said:

Lovely chappy. Bike squad is nice too.

Thanks! I'm glad you say that. Personally, I'm not proud of the models but I do believe that they are more than table-top ready. I've never really liked the models but I decided I want and need a mobile cavalry-like element in my army, just in case. The worst part is that I have 2 more bike squads to do.

@Brother CarpenterI can see that we have a lot in common. I can just say this: Crusade on! And hope that GW won't make our minis obsolete before we manage to paint them.

Speaking of obsolete miniatures, my next models is an OOP Emperor's Champion:

13NBsDN.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't get him with the original sword :( I tried to recreate his stance with some of my available bits but the final result is somewhat meh. I couldn't get the angle right. Also, the regular power sword that I chose as a replacement is a bit too wide. I'll decide what to do with it later, once I paint the model.

In other news, I finished all the sub-assemblies for my Thunderhawk gunship.

Scratch-built-Thunderhawk-Gunship-Sub-assemblies

If you're interested, you'll find more photos in my threat in Forge.

I actually need to add bikes to my crusade to represent the characters that are horses. Yours still look great even with the "minimal effort you've put into them.

I wish you luck on finding an appropriate sword for that EC. Such a great mini!

Your thunderhawk is looking juicy!

Thank you, Brother Urkh! As for the sword, I'm planning to try and do a bit of a green stuff extension to a regular, old tactical squad power sword. The idea is to make it look like a bastard sword, held by the EC both by the grip and pommel (something like this) to account for my failure to do a proper, two-handed grip. The goal is to make the length of both the blade and grip (with the green stuff extension of the blade) to be the same length as the sword used by Captain Draco, another mini from that era.

Regarding the bikes, you should definitely do that! SM bikes are dirt-cheap now and are pretty fun to paint. Not great, but pretty fun. And they do look good in black!

Yeah, so... I didn't leave the standard power sword in as-is condition. It bothered me and didn't seem right on the model. I extented the blade (with green stuff), as well as the cross guard (with plasticard).

VUbmkEO.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it turned out, albeit, now the blade appears to be just a bit on the long side. Regardless, I finished painting the model.

Vr3TJK3.jpg

YIjVfo8.jpg

2gEbsqG.jpg

The original, 3rd Edition Emperor's Champion didn't age well. The pose is wonky, especially the position right leg/foot, the tabard is chunky and, yeah, it's not great. The really great things are the original Black Sword (that I don't have), the excellent helmet (a truly awesome design), as well as the Maltese cross on the shoulder guard.

Having said all of that, I'm glad to have the model in my collection (even if it's not complete) - it's a classic and an important piece of Black Templar history.

For one of the next projects, I intend to commit heresy. I will be adding a Librarian to my Crusade. Years ago, for the monetary equivalent of a beer, I got a damaged, incomplete metal Mephiston model that I intended to use as a Chief Apothecary. Plans change, however, so does 40k. I considered selling the model but opted to keep it on similar grounds as the other, 3rd Edition models - it's a piece of history and a relic of a bygone era. Also, when I finally get around to writing some fluff for my crusade, I intend to make them a group of renegades, influenced by a powerful warp entity - most likely a Sensei, i.e. a true son of the Emperor (back when they were a thing). As such, I'm open to heretical notions. I just hope that I won't get banned for this ;)

On a more down-to-earth note, I want to try painting something else. Maybe even use the standard blue colour for Librarian's armour. With the way 40k rules change, I also want to have the possibility to field Librarians, in case I decide to use vanilla Space Marines rules or properly get into OnePageRules. I mean, I really don't expect to use Librarians regularly (if ever), but already having the model... I don't see why I shouldn't have a backup.

Give the librarian a skull helm, and just call him a chaplain that has different litanies. Actually, I might have to do this idea for my crusade... there are magic using characters that I would have used as librarians, but we can't take them. As you've said, we aren't going to be limited to just one set of limitations with the way detachments work. As long as we can make it work in a fluffy way, we can make it work.

Looking forward to seeing your templar-ified mephiston. I'm sure he will look great next to your Templar Calgar.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I have to disappoint. I'm actually trying to get rid of Mephiston. It's a model that I've never been a fan of (the armour doesn't match the SM/BT aesthetic) and for gaming purposes, I've found another Librarian to... use. After all these years, it's quite tough to think about adding a Librarian to my army. To say it or type it makes things worse and I find myself struggling with the notion. It's actually really funny to discover my distaste for the concept is so strong. The fictional Templar indoctrination appears to be affecting me in real life :D

Having said that, with the current state of my Crusade and the game/miniatures, I am more and more inclined to lean towards extensive proxying. Despite the goodwill I've decided to give GW, I am more and more certain that regular marines will be a thing of the past - discarded or rescaled. As such, I need to be more at home in terms of seeing my army as a large proxy, able to adapt to the current version of a game (40k proper or OnePageRules). Consequently, I want to have models for a Librarian and Terminator Librarian, just in case I'm feeling frisky and want to try something new.

On top of that, the Librarian models I have are quite cool. I have had a Space Hulk Librarian for many years and he's a fine sculpt and the new addition is a metal Librarian with a Power Axe that, after some research, I discovered is the coolest of the old Librarian sculpts. It's quite funny to "discover" a OOP model in 2023 but frankly, I've never paid attention to models of the filthy witches...

In other news, I am working on a bunch of Terminators, including my Terminator Marshal. This little project reinforces my determination to get over the conversion stage of my hobby and solidified my resolve not to get new stuff to convert. It proves to just be too time-consuming!

I must be impaired in some capacity since it takes ma ages to prep the model(s). To see so little progress take so much of my time is quite demotivating and mentally draining but I'm really excited about finally getting around to painting these guys. However, the negative experiences of these past few days are very valuable: as I said above, it really helps me focus on the ultimate goal (a painted army) and avoid getting distracted by (ideas of) new projects.

I find it also surprisingly difficult to come to terms that my involvement in 40k is coming to a close. Not and end, since I am quite set on refocusing on gaming in the forceable future, but to a close. The thought of finiteness of my collection: of not adding anything or not starting new projects is both soothing and disturbing. Apparently, buying new things and thinking about cool conversions are such a huge part of the hobby that missing out on them leaves a strange sense of hollowness.