Solo Crusade Competition

<because you can't really claim ignorance unless you lay it all out on the table...>

1. Ok, I'm with you on the no LoS for challenges. No issues there.

2. Regarding the AP4, I should have read through what I typed. What I meant to say, is that AP4 denies you a save if your armor save is a 5+ or a 6+. So my statement was irrelevant and incorrect.

So, if I replay what happened, the Nob took a wound. The LoS that he passed off, would not have taken place. Since the Power Maul is AP4 and the Nob's armor is 6+, that would have been the second wound, so he would have been dead. Then we would have proceeded to the next round of combat.

Just echoing back what I think I've heard.

Correcto?

And for the record, I'm not normally this totally brainless, but I can claim to have not played in a couple of weeks due to a visit from Papa Nurgle. :)

Yes, that sounds good :)

Round 1: Dead Nob

Round 2: Wack some boys and then they swing back, you probably run them off or kill them all next turn.

BTW, ap4 beats 4+, 5+ and 6+ so even if the Nob is a 'ard one (4+ armor save), he doesn't get to use it. Power mauls are really good against xenos (and IG).

Trials of the Crusader results:

(called the solo Crusade trials of the Crusader instead)

As I travelled alone accross the desert world of Fergax 3, musing the trials to come from this challenge, a strange apparition appeared before me,

an Astartes wearing tainted Tactical Dreadnought Armour, with the livery of the hated Word Bearers, laughed while a battle-brother of what seems to be

another Black Templar is under his feet. As I try to come closer the vision vanishes, and from nowhere came Astartes wearing armours in colours that

hurt the eye, due to their severe contrast, and without livery or the Emperor's insignia, from their lips came foul words that could only come from heretics.

At last, something to kill...

Challenge I

Standard Challenge

Codex: Space Marines

5 man tactical squad, sergeant has combi-plasma and power fist

Turn 1

Templar

Marshal moved toward the squad. Then ran 4" forward.

Marines

Marines rapid fired their Bolters and Combi-Plasma to the Marhsal, but to no effect.

Turn 2

Templar

Marshal moved toward the squad. Then Assaulted 7", Marines fired overwatch but none hits.

Marshal then challenges Powerfist Sergeant which accepts and is then hacked to pieces by the Marshal without a word. :)

Marines

Gaped in respond to the sudden and painful death of their Sergeant. ;) But passes morale check

Turn 3

Templar

Marshal kills 2 more Marines, leaving only 2 left to defend themselves, Marines tried to counterattack but failed to wound. But passes their morale check.

Marines

Marshal kills one more Marine (rolled 1's to hit but thanks Master Craft for reroll). Marine counterattack failed. Passes morale check.

Turn 4

Templar

Marshal kills last remaining Marine.

I didn't get any answers from the last Astartes as he died impaled by my sword. Who sent these vermin? Where did they come from?

For now it was irrelevant, what was important was the completion of this quest and my return to the Crusade.

Challenge I - Victory!

(called the solo Crusade, Trials of the Crusader instead)

"Fergax 3 was home to numerous caverns, and in such a cavern did I take refuge from what my augurs was telling me as a level 6 Sandstorm (sandstorm on Terra was only Level 3 at most),

as I delved deeper into the cavern, I came into a giant hall, so enermous that it could've easily fit 3 Capitol Imperialis inside. Although it seemed empty, even from the

enhanced vision of an Astartes and my Bionic eye, there were faint sounds coming from deeper whitin the cavern. I slowed my pace a little making sure that I make as little sound as possible,

even though I'm wearing Terminator Armour I manage to get close and see who is making such racket.

Orks! About ten of them and a big one that must be their leader, I rush at them with all the skill and fury of an Astartes of Dorn."

Challenge II

Standard Challenge

Codex: Orks

10x ork boyz with slugga and choppa, and a nob with power klaw

Turn 1

Templar

Marshal moved toward the squad. Then ran 4" forward.

Orks

Orks moved closer. Fired their pistol at the Marshal, but none wound. Proceeded to try to assault but rolled double 1's. (They were completely off guard)

Turn 2

Templar

Marshal moved toward the squad. Then assaulted 9", Orks fired overwatch but none penetrated his armour.

Marshal challenges Ork Nob, Nob declines and decides to send his boyz to do dirty work.

Marshal vexed by Nobs lack of honour, wounds the Nob with a Precision Hit (rolled 6 to Hit) and 1 Ork from Look Out Sir!.

Orks counterattacked but none could pierce terminator armour. 9 Orks left.

Orks passes Morale.

Orks

Marshal attacks boyz which all misses. Boyz fight back but none could penetrate Armour.

Turn 3

Templar

Marshal rechallenges Ork Nob, Nob declines again and sends more boyz to do the dirty work.

Marshal absolutely pissed :lol: wounds the Nob with a Precision Hit (rolled 6 to Hit) 3 times (others failed),

Nob tries to hide behind his boyz but none pass Look Out Sir! for him. :P

with Nob dead the Orks counterattacked but again none could pierce terminator armour.

Orks again passes Morale

Orks

Marshal attacks and kills 3 boyz. Boyz fight back but none could penetrate Armour.

With 5 Orks left they fail morale and flee from combat.

"Damnable Greenskins! Not only do their leaders lack stomach in a real fight, but now they flee from combat! How shameful and infuriating!

An Astartes, especially a Black Templar would never flee regardless of whatever enemy, we would accept any challenge,

no matter the odds! As I start to give chase the entire cavern starts to shake and the ground under me opens like a hungry maw.

I fall into the abyss."

Challenge II - Victory!

@Honda: I'll let you replay that challenge, just make sure you follow all the rules this time.

@Marshal_Roujakis: I love the narrative battle reports.

@everybody in general: I'm going to be very busy these next few days, and I'll be updating the first post rather slowly. So if it takes a while for your victories to appear, then don't fret about it, I'll get to you eventually. I promise everything will be up-to-date by the time the next challenges are posted (Sunday).

@ItchyTasty: Good thing I cracked down on you about the grenades, eh? :eek

@Philsminions: I'm confused and a little annoyed by your post. You have reports for the challenges, but you messed up some rules and say that you are going to play again them later on, after I explicitly said not to do challenges more than once. Since you messed up the rules I'll let it slide this time, but in the future ask me if you messed something up and want to re-do it. You also seem to be killing a suspiciously large number of enemies with that plasma pistol, and you used unauthorized terrain. I think you may be confused with the rules (both mine and sixth edition). In the future please try to follow all the rules. Thank you.

@TheCrimsonLancer: Thanks bro!, here's more. Hope you like it too.

(called the solo Crusade, Trials of the Crusader instead)

"That was a high fall. After my consciousness came back I had to turn off the system link that connected the status recievers to my bionic eye. My armour is cracked and torn

in places where jutting rocks and loose stones hit it during my fall. The Techmarine is going to have my hide for this. I gave my armour a little prayer of thanks and apology,

before checking my location with my augurs. I was getting static, some discharge of electromagnetic interferance is causing some of my system to go haywire. Then an eerie glowing

thing was suddenly upon me. Partly skeletal in form with metal limbs and with wrappings around it that billowed as if blown by an invisible wind, and armoured in a gold crustacean

like armour, in it's hand it is holding what surprised me as a weapon that is definitely Imperial in design, it was a Halberd of the Grey Knights.

Without a word the machine like creature charged at me."

Challenge III

Standard Challenge (should be hard instead!)

Codex: Necrons

Necron Overlord with Warsythe (+2S AP1), Ressurection Orb (Increase Reanimation Protocol/"I'll be back" to +4), Phase Shifter (3++), and Sempiternal Weave (Sv. 2+) (to those who don't know 'Crons)

Turn 1

Templar

Marshal moved toward the Overlord.

Necron

Overlord moved toward the Marshal.

Turn 2

Templar

Marshal moved toward the Overlord. Tried to Assault but was short by an inch. :)

Necron

Overlord moved toward the Marshal. Then assaulted.

Marshal being faster attacked but armour was too tough. Overlord laughed and wounds the Marshal.

Turn 3

Templar

Marshal attacks again but found no hole in armour.

Overlord attacks but attacks are parried by Marshal.

Necron

Marshal attacks again but Armour was thick.

Overlord attacks but attacks misses.

Turn 4

Templar

Marshal attacks again but armour saved.

Overlord attacks but attacks are dodged by Marshal.

Necron

Marshal attacks again but Armour was too thick.

Overlord attacks and wounds the Marshal passing through his shield.

Marshal has 1 wound left.

Turn 5

Templar

Marshal attacks again but found no hole in armour.

Overlord attacks but attacks are parried by Marshal.

Necron

Marshal attacks again but Armour was thick.

Overlord attacks and pokes a hole through the Marshals shield incapacitating him.

""AARRGH!" I cursed myself for shouting as the damnable creature found another seam in my cracked Terminator Armour. I was thrown almost a 2 metres by the blow and

would have been cloven in two if I hadn't blocked it with my own bionic arm. The creature walked towards me, it's eyes glowing green at the sight as if I was a prey. I will not die

lying down on the floor, defeated by such a creature. Both of my weapons were about 5 metres away at opposite directions, too far to make to my sword or shield. I tried to stand up,

but the energy coils of my terminator armour must have been damaged by the fall, and my suits power fails. Without power, the Terminator armour became as heavy as a Dreadnought,

instead of being protected by it I was now pinned. The creature was now on me, it raised its stolen weapon up about to unleash its final stroke that would be my end.

I could only show it my spite and hatred as I spat on its vembrace :) . It cloved down on my head. :o

It stopped only mere inches from my face its face looking up, as if it could see something that I could not. It looks at me again, this time with annoyance.

Then it spoke, not in any alien language but in Basic, the language of humanity, and I was vexed by its capability to speak in the human language. "You survive here mortal, but we may yet

meet again do not expect mercy from me the next we meet. Be glad the great Matthias Wahd of the Baal Dynasty calls for me." Then in a blinding flash of green he was gone. :) "

Damnable Matthew Ward making the Overlord OP, he pays 10 pts for Warscythe only and its equivalent is an Imperial Power Chainfist Maul (Power Maul S+2 + Chainfist Armourbane AP1)

and all those upgrades are cheap he's 190 points 5 points to my 185 no 2+ kills Marshal.

We need a Phil Kelly makeover.

Challenge - FAIL :(

Alright Finally got around too the two I can do.

Challenge #1: Tactical Marines

The Emperor's Champion advanced, throwing his safety aside he attempts to close as rapidly as possible. Moving 6" then running another 3. Tactical Squad moves to just within rapid fire range and lets loose with a hail of bolter fire and plasma fire. Several Bolt rounds connected and failed to pierce the armor, the plasma gun chose to instead to overheat with both shots, but the Sergeants armor protected him.

Seeing his opportunity the EC closed the distance using a frag grenade to try and soften up the marines as he charged through their bolter fire. Still taking no wounds he challenged the Sergeant to single combat and brought him low with one good swing. Over the next 3 turns he picked apart what was left of the squad. (Took 4 assault phases due to terrible rolling)

Round 1: Victory

My saving grace was the plasma gun failing to do anything. After that round I test rolled a pair of plasma shots just to see what should have happened. I had about 20 rolls that ended with my EC dead in turn 1 out of 25. The Emperor was truly with me that round.

---------------------------

Challenge #2: Ork Sluggas

Emperor's Champion moves up about 4", staying just out of the orks average charge range. Orks advance and fire a few pistols, doing no damage. Stare down commences.

EC advances up letting fly with a frag grenade before charging headlong into the ranks of the Boyz. 2 dropped from the grenade while the EC stormed through the pistol fire to tear them apart in CC. By luck the Nob was too far away to care about my ECs challenge so he swung into the squad. Scoring two dead boyz from the start. After the boyz piled in and failed to scratch the EC the nob took a swing, and was unable to land a single blow against the EC.

Since he was close enough now the EC issued his challenge, but the Nob refused, knowing his boys stood a better chance then did. Little good it did him as he was ripped apart by the EC anyway. (Failed his LoS! from two precision strikes) Another boy went down as well from the ECs swings, failing leadership the EC swept them off the table with his blade, Claiming another win.

Round 2: Victory

-----------------------

Round 3: Pending?

If I can double check the rules at some point I could try it but I do not own the Necron codex and will be gone for a few days. So sadly I will probably miss this one.

May the traitors and xenos tremble before our might brothers!

Wow, apologies for my "ineptitude". I didn't realize that terrain was a no no...I'll make sure to fight my future battles on a 2x2 square of barren wasteland. As for replaying the challenges, it wasn't so I could replace my reported score; but rather intended to be a learning process against someone other than myself... and more importantly, more exprerienced and versed in the new rules. I just want to ensure that I am playing a fair and balanced game. My PP rolls happened to be luck of the dice. To be fair, I had my son roll for the other side...he, like us all, experienced some successes as well as failures. Dice are dice...next game I might not make any; hope I don't roll any ones! Again, apologies for my newbness...I promise to focus more on following all rules set forth by this entertaining challenge. Looking forward to what next week brings us!

v/r

Honestly I Dont think any one will win the final objective without the dice on their side I the enitre match. Unless They are kitted out to do so most people are going to lose to him.

Also in the name of the emperor dont put us against celistine because its litterally not possible to win that fight as she will just keep getting back up indefinately.

Entertaining reads and very interesting concept! Very nice idea CrimsonLancer :) My favorite characters have been picked (except one) so I get to see how they would fair, which is also a plus. Only one build left and I better claim it!

Marshal Howlett: TDA, chainfist, LC, iron halo, adamantine mantle

The overlord is indeed hard and I was looking forward to seeing someone take him on. T5, 2+, 3++ with S7 ap1 i2 attacks is deadly. He is about equally matched with a TH&SS marshal, attacking first but with one less attack if you have honors, with the reanimation protocols but WS4 means our marshal hits more than he gets hit. A nerve wracking matchup.

But you said it would be a challenge and it's not challenging if you don't have a chance to lose. Keep 'em coming!

I, Urkh, accept your challenge, no matter the odds, and send forth my marshal to destroy any xenos, heretic, or witch you send his way!

He has chosen his 5 items from the armory and is equipped with:

Terminator Armor

Thunder Hammer

Stormshield

Adamantine Mantle

Bionics

1. Victory: Turn 1 - Reclusiarch Laertes fired his jump pack and fired his plas pistol, felling the first three Space Marines. The remaining Marines fired back with mixed results. One bolter round made it through Laertes Artificer Armor, however, the Marine SGT blew himself up while firing his Combi-Plas (the price of doing business with the Reclusiarch!). Next, Laertes jumped into close combat, taking full advantage of Hammer of Wrath with his Crozius and split the final quarry in two with four of five successful hits. Nothing but bloody piles of power armor lay his feet!

How he killed three with a pistol? Did he jump around for three turns? That's a rather dangerous tactic, I think, as the have a lot more firepower.

Regardless, the power maul wounds on 3s with no armor save, so it's easy to do 2 wounds and much better to kill the Nob before he gets to swing.

Against T4 it wounds on 2+, if the chart wasn't changed and I failed to notice it.

Anyways, my reports.

I wanted to take pictures of the character and the battles, but I couldn't finish kitting him in time. Instead i'll try to write some fluffy reports, with pics (hopefully) coming during the next challenge phase. 'Out-of-game comments will be in square brackets.

Challenge I

It is a training fight between Templars and their Codex brethren, one designed to test the mettle of the brother who have recently earned their black carapace and see if one warrior can stand up to the well-trained squad of marines.

Master of Sanctity enters the arena and moves 6" towards his opponents, starting to run for 4" more. Sergeant commands his squad to advance, as he realises that if they don't put the Chaplain down, the holy officer will charge them the next second. They move 2", just to get into the rapid fire range - no need to make things easier for the opponent. Next is the order to open fire. Four bolters and one plasma fire in unison. Plasma overheats, but sergeant's power armour holds off the heat. Five bolter rounds find home as well as one plasma shot. Surprisingly [well, not too surprisingly in my case] plasma fails to penetrate armour, but bolters leave three scratches over chaplains plate. None wounds him.

Chaplain Albrecht strides towards the squad, aiming his combi-plasma at the sergeant. One of the charges hit him, the other - one of the marines. Both fall to the ground, their plates molten away by deadly weapon. Now Chaplain is only 6" away from the rest of the squad. They are defiant to hold the ground, but with the sergeant lost, they pose little challenge to the might of the Black Templar Chaplain. Falling back is not an option, as there is nowhere to fall back - one step backwards, and they lose the field. Chaplain holds his crozius high in his hand and charges straight at the marines, who ready their weapons against him. In the hail of rounds fired at the Black Templar, two shot find home, one striking true, but yet again Chaplain shrugs off the round as it was a mere insect sting.

Chanting the Litanies of Hate [the reroll really helped] Chaplain strikes at the squad, each blow finding it’s target. Four of them are strong enough to crush the ceramite of the power armour and the fight ends the moment it starts, before any of the marines can strike back, all three remaining Astartes are down.

[As it was really a one-sided fight, we tried to find a strategy that would give marines at least some chance. Making two rapid-fire attacks was our strategy, as well as sergeant denying the charge and hoping that the Chaplain would fall to the weight of attacks, while marines either save his crozius or are safely striking on higher initiative. The sergeant would pile in on the second turn, if there is such a need.

Some hilarious rolls later (Chaplain precise shooting sergeant and him failing LoS! check) the plan was screwed. I must admit I rolled very well during this fight, saving every wound thrown at the character. Marines rolled good too, but it wasn’t good enough]

Challenge II

The fight is an ugly one. A battle fought against the nemesis of the Imperium, one that have persisted for millennia, one that Emperor himself has fought. There is no honour or glory in killing ork boyz, but doing Emperor's work is its own reward, so Chaplain Albrecht moves 6" towards the enemy. Unlike the previous opponent, orks lack discipline and are easily taunted, a trait Master of Sanctity intends to use. Instead of running straight towards the orks, he shots a few rounds from his bolter, aiming at the mob. One shot hits, but fails to wound the greenskin.

Still, it is enough to drive the orks crazy. They run forward, waving their crude guns and screaming, shooting without any aim or semblance of discipline, but the guts bring glory - six rounds hit, but none can get through the ancient terminator armour.

Master of Sanctity moves closer, switching his combi-weapon to plasma charge. That is not really necessary with the orks, as bolter rounds would tear them as easily, but Chaplain isn't going to take chances against the mob. Both charges hit an evaporate two boyz and the next second Albrecht charges. He isn't even considering to issue a challenge - that would be below his dignity, but the Nob is right before him (being an ork, he stood in the first line all the time), screaming something in crude gothic. Having no other choice, Chaplain 'accepts' this 'challenge' and attacks. Boyz cheer at their leader, but Albrecht hears nothing of it, his mind and hearts taken by the Litanies of Hate. They once again fill him with confidence, and every blow strikes true. Nob's armour is no match to crozius' power field, and the greenskin is brutally crushed to death with five heavy blows. This is enough to break to remaining boys - they run from the chaplain, who watches them rout in silent delight.

[This was an easy one too. My only tactic was to charge the orks, not the other way round. As they couldn’t WAAGH!! On the first round and thank to pre-measuring it was an easy job. A more sound option would be to challenge the Nob, as killing him would be easy and there is high chance that boyz would break (which actually happened during the fight), but I can’t stand the idea of a Chaplain challenging a mere Nob to a duel. Still, he challenged himself, as that was no other choice – Nob was standing in fron of the squad, so he would have taken first wounds anyway. By xhallenging he hoped to save his boyz for counter-attack, which never happened.]

Challenge III

At last, a formidable opponent. Ancient death machine (Master of Sancity discards any talks about these foul creations having any form of mind or soul), armed with the most arcane weapons he has ever encountered. This will be a hard fight to win, but a victory still - Chaplain is certain about that.

Once more Chaplain Albrecht exercises caution. He moves towards the enemy aiming his bolter and takes a shot. A lucky shot, no less, it hits, but fails to wound the creature - its hide too hard to penetrate. The machine moves in turn, having no way of engaging the enemy save melee, it simply erases the distance between the enemies. 6" on the move and 6" on the run - that thing sure is fast!

Only a few steps separate the two now, but Chaplain decides to lure the machine and force it fight his way. He moves 6" backwards and fires plasma charge. Both charges hit. They burn through the metal flesh, destroying it outright. Chaplain only hoped to wound the creature, but his hand was guided by the Emperor himself [i can't find any other explanation to the snake eyes on save roll], and the creature is almost felled. Readying his weapon, Chaplain braces for the attack of the death machine. It comes at the Chaplain, but the damage done to it seems to be critical, as it clumsily stumbles few inches short of the Chaplain.

[Now, here I need to pause in my report, as I think a bit of explanation is due. I was really worried by resurrection ability of the overlord, so I wanted to catch him on his charge - kill him and if he stands up, kill him again on my charge. But at this moment I realised that by letting him charge I would lose my reroll and also there is a decent chance he will get up again after my counter charge. As I started to doubt my initial plan, I decided to act in character, as we did during the previous two fight, so I charged myself.]

With a grin Chaplain Albrecht readies his thunder hammer and charges at the enemy. Misfunction that fell on the machine was a clear sign from the Emperor that Master of Sanctity must act, not wait for the enemy to come at him. Slow-swinging as it is, the creature is faster than the heavy hammer. It strikes twice, one blow finding a weak spot in the black armour. Rosarius fails to save Albrecht, and he gets himself his first wound. This only adds fuel to his rage and mighty hammer falls on the creature, smashing it into the ground.

Albrecth lowers his weapon - the fight was too easy, but it is not over. Bit by bit the machine starts to repair itself, and in mere seconds it is up and comes at the Chaplain. He parries two blows, but other stikes true. One tears through the armour as if it was paper thin, and only a flash of rozarius' power field saves Albrecht from another wound. He attacks in turn, striking at the creature. Once again the might of the hammer crushes the machine, but this time Chaplain doesn't stop, he hits again and again, until there is nothing left to repair itself.

[After the battle we decided to see what would have happened if I allowed the necron to charge. That was a brutal fight, but the fight Albrecth lost in the end. Lack of rerolls on the charge was critical, as I rolled really bad - not a single save on the chaplain's part and overlord soaked every hit that came at him. That was a valuable lesson – playing a Templar you should act as a Templar, and you'll be rewarded.

Still, it was a really close call. Dice played a great role here, them deciding the winner, not any tactics. Overlord, overpriced as he is, is a beast in melee. 2+/3++ with T5 make him as durable as Thunder Wolf Lord and Warscythe, suddenly buffed from ‘slightly better relic blade’ to ‘omg! The only AP1 Initiative weapon with +2S!’ is a killer. 4++ on the other hand isn’t that reliable. If I ever encounter the thing again, I’ll be sure to take it down from distance, not risking an assault.]

My marshal Has returned to report on his doings in the Challenge.

Challenge I

V Man Tactical Squad: Sergeant has a Combi-Melta

Turn I)

Marshal moves 6" and runs 3"

Squad moves forward to shoot 5 shots at Marshal, IV hit, III wound, and I of them is unsaved, bionics didn't help

Turn II)

Marshal Moves forward and charges the marines, who fail all their overwatch shots. They attack Marshal, but fail to do anything. He attacks back and kills II of them. They Pass their Morale check and stay in combat.

Marines Attack Marshal on their turn, managing I wound. Marshal attacks back and kills another II of them. They again pass their morale check and choose to stay in combat, as they're already pretty much still back on their side of the board.

Turn III)

Marshal kills the last marine!

MARSHAL IS VICTORIOUS!

Challenge II)

X Ork boys with sluggas and choppas, I Ork Nob with PowaKlaw

Turn I)

Marshal cautiously moves forward, trying not to get charged by the large ork Squad.

Orks move forward.

Turn II)

Marshal moves forward an amount to make the orks needs a large charge range in order to charge him.

Orks move and shoot their sluggas at the Marshal. They manage 1 wound. They then roll to charge and get double VI's...Marshal challenges the Nob, the Nob Declines. The Orks surround my Marshal, and chop at him like madmen. they manage to hit well over 50% of thier attacks, but fail quite hard when wounding the marshal, only landing 7 wounds. THE MARSHAL PASSES THEM ALL! Marshal manages to get 3 hits on the nobs and 2 wounds, killing two of them, bringing their squad size down to 9, so they're no longer fearless. They pass their LD test exactly and stay in combat.

Turn III)

Marshal Challenges the Nob, the Nob declines. The Ork boys do decent in combat against the Marshal, even managing to wound him twice more. In a last ditch effort, Marshal through his Bionic arm in the way of both of the choppas...DOUBLE VI'S!!!!! Marshal then procedes to kill two more orks, causing them to take a LD test on 5, which they fail and fall back X", which is just barely still on the board. Because of his terminator armor, Marshal was unable to perform a sweeping advance, and instead consolidated IV" backwards. The Orks tested to regroup, and passed, moved III", attempted to shoot Marshal, and missed every shot. They needed the long charge again, and failed to get it.

Turn IV)

Marshal Charges the Orks, who fail their overwatch. He challenges the Nob yet again, and in his cowardice, he continues to slouch in the back. The boys that are left chop at Marshal, but his artificer armor is too strong to be cracked by the now managable amount of orks left. Marshal kills another 2 orks, forcing a LD test on 3, which the orks fail and fall back another VIII", while Marshal Consolidates III" backwards to avoid a countercharge.

Orks fail their regroup test and fallback off the table edge

MARSHAL IS VICTORIOUS YET AGAIN!

Challenge III)

Necron Overlord with Warscythe, Resurrection Orb, Sempiternal Weave, and Phase Shifter.

Turn I)

Marshal moves forward VI" and runs III"

Overlord moves forward III

Turn II)

Marshal moves forward VI" and just fails his charge distance.

Overlord gets IV" away from Marshal, but rolls double I's for his charge distance.

(as neither side has guns, no one could overwatch. was pretty funny!)

Turn III)

Marshal moves forward and successfully charges the overlord. Marshal says to Overlord, "My name is Marshal. Your leader kicked my leader off a bridge. Prepare to die!" Overlord Swings at Marshal with his warscythe, causing an unsaved wound. Marshal Swings at Overlord. Doing nothing.

Turn IV)

Overlord Declares a challenge against Marshal, Marshal Accepts! Overlord continues to swing at Marshal, but Marshal becomes familiar with Overlords fighting tactics, and is able to block all his attacks with his trusted Storm Shield Marshal attacks back and manages II unsaved wounds on the Overlord!

Shaken by the force of the Thunderhammer, but not instantly killed due to his high toughness, the Overlord is forced to swing at the same time as Marshal. A flurry of blows ensues. The Overlord manages to get three wounds on Marshal, but the Stormshield catches every one of them, while the trusted Thunderhammer finds home, shatters the Necron's Phase Shifter and causes him to shatter into pieces on the ground. The Resurrection Orb Glowed brightly, but then exploded before it could repair the Overlord (rolled a I!)!!!!

MARSHAL IS VICTORIOUS ALL THREE TIMES! No Xenos or Traitor shall stand in his path!

Played these games with my brother, luckily i had the marines to do this and the orks from assault on black reach. so there we just had to proxy the special weapons on the sergeant and the nob. We used my helbrecht as a proxy for the overlord, since my necron player friend is currently unavailable for gaming =(. I have to admit that i got pretty lucky on the overlord failing two of his phase shifter saves in the same turn, as well as him rolling on a 1 on the rez protocols (everliving). I'm sure that next week will prove to be quite a different story for Marshal. I would have also lost to those Orks had it not been for my Bionics.

Challenge 3:

Alexander found himself on a blank plane, separated from his command squad, and his reinforcements. He was not certain how he got there. Across the field, green lightning broke the air, and a hole in the material universe formed, a great shade, a automation of death stepped through, a great scythe of black metal crackling with arcane energy fields, and piercing green eyes luminous with hate.

There was no retreat, even if he had wanted to leave. Though that was not his preference, here was an enemy of mankind, a threat to the Imperium. He would not falter. He charged.

They came together in the middle, Marshal Alexander making a heroic leap into the battle. All whirring blades, and the crackle of thunder as their blows struck. In the end all looked bleak, friend and foe alike lay in the ashes of a once fertile plane crushed under the lightnings of foul sorcery. Then lo, Alexander slowly rises, scathed, yet ready for any tempest.

Turn 1:

Alexander advances six inches and runs forward three

The Overlord moves forward six inches and then tries for the charge, he fails with a six.

Turn 2:

Alexander closes the distance moving six inches, then charges heroically at the foe!

The Overlord strikes first. He hits twice, wounding only once, yet the storm shield, blocks the lethal blade.

Alexander full of the Emperor's fury lashes out with his hammer. He hits four times, wounds three, the The Overlord fails two of three saves going down to a single wound. Things look bleak for him yet he is the stuff of ages.

Bottom of the turn:

Stunned by the hammer blow, they attack at the same time.

The Overlord swings and hits two of three times, he only scores one wound, Alexander does not block it, and it goes through cutting him deeply, he fails his bionic FNP.

Alexander's hammer finds his opponent three times, wounding three times, the Overlord only saves once. He dies. However his unearthly technology regenerates his dead metal husk.

Turn 3:

Our combatants are both damaged yet they fight on.

The necron lord swings three times, hitting twice, wounding twice, Alexander saves both with deft blocks from his shield.

Alexander swings back, hitting three times, wounding twice, the lord fails his saves, he dies again. Yet for naught as he rises from the grave once more. (Seriously, hard to kill)

Bottom of the turn:

The lord swings hitting twice, he wounds twice. Alexander fails both saves, things look bleak, but he rolls his two bionics rolls and one is a Six! He stands back up saying "You're not the only one who's hard to kill"

He retaliates, but in his disorientation, he only hits once, but what the great marshal hits, he destroys. He strikes a heavy blow caving in the wretched construct's skull. The Overlord fails to save, and rolls a one for Resurrection failing to get back up.

Marshal Alexander stands in a pool of his own blood, crying out. "Victory, for Dorn, and the Emperor!"

@Skoll: You might as well switch your Artificer Armor for TDA, you can then get another wargear item than Terminator Honors, as you'd have it automatically. (just my two cents)

@Crimson/Lyon: The entire point of these challenges is for them to be difficult. I for one, don't want to win every time. That would defeat the purpose Give us a venerable dreadnought to fight! followed by a bloodthirster. and then two demon princes :eek

Or heck if we're taking on a dread, put Bjorn in there, I'd love to smash his relic encrusted face.

@ItchyTasty: I now realize that most of the characters that lost to the Overlord had AP3 weapons, which is not exactly a ideal choice for fighting him. So, my comments about him were premature, after seeing what some better suited weapons can do to him I have decided he is the right difficulty after all. Oh, and believe me, I have some incredibly difficult challenges planned, one of which is going to turn up next week.

@Philsminions: Don't worry about it, just be a little more clear with what your are doing in the future. The reason I don't allow terrain is some pieces can shift the balance quite dramatically. There will be "non-standard challenges" that use terrain, I just didn't use any this week.

Alright, the first post has been updated with everything that came before this post.

@Arthanor: Welcome to the challenge! But, are you allowed to have both the Mantle and a iron halo? I seem to remember something about only one relic item, but I could be wrong and I don't have the codex on me.

@Philsminions: I'll just put you down for winning challenges I and II, they were fairly easy anyway. However, before you continue, I want you to check the profile you are using for the plasma pistol (it should be S7 AP2 pistol, meaning a max of one dead model a turn).

Oh wow, what a display of rules ignorance!

Regardless, the power maul wounds on 3s with no armor save, so it's easy to do 2 wounds and much better to kill the Nob before he gets to swing.

Against T4 it wounds on 2+, if the chart wasn't changed and I failed to notice it.

hum... Indeed! I could have sworn that Nobz were T5 but I guess not. Good to know!

@Arthanor: Welcome to the challenge! But, are you allowed to have both the Mantle and a iron halo? I seem to remember something about only one relic item, but I could be wrong and I don't have the codex on me.

Of course! That's a character I was planning as a MoS so I swapped iron halo for rosarius and forgot about relics. I'll submit corrections ASAP.

Edit: oh, that Iron Halo was doubly illegal, can't be taken with TDA either, no little T next to the entry!

Well, this is going to be risky but I'll have faith in the Emperor (and my 4++). I'll go with:

Master of Sanctity Howlett

Chainfist, Lightning Claw, TDA

@ CrimsonLancer - Wilco!

Challenge 3 - DEFEAT

I concur with the above satement...AP2 and Arty/Termi Armor rule the day; however, with his damnable I2, he'll strike first. :wub:

Laertes fought valiantly and lasted nearly four rounds with the abomination, trading blow after blow, before finally succumbing to a crummy roll of the dice.

Turn 1:

Laertes (L) - moved 6" (figured he would run as he has no ranged weapons)

Necron (N) - moved 6" and ran 5"

L - PP hit / wound / saved

L - jumped into CC with the xenos scum utilizing HoW. 5 hits with Crozius / 4 wounds / 3 saves (drew first blood!)

N - swung back with his scythe. 1 hit S7 / 1 wound / no save (rolled a freaking 1 - so much for that arty armor)

End Round 1 sees tit for tat at one wound each...but he has two more to my only one.

Turn 2:

L - 3 attacks / 2 hits / 0 wounds

N - 3 attacks / 2 hits / 2 wounds / both saved

Turn 3:

L - 3 hits / 3 wounds / all three saved (dang the luck)

N - 1 hit / 1 wound / 1 save

Turn 4:

L - 3 hits / 1 wound / 1 save

N - 3 hits / 3 wounds / 1 save = DEAD Laertes

So, there is something to be said for that 2+ Arty Armor. I just wish I had something a little more potent that I could use at a higher initiative! Good challenge!

Archived