Solo Crusade Competition

I was wondering if you you be able to to put challenges failed underneath the challenges completed? Not all of the people here are putting what challenges they've done in one post, and it could make it easier for everyone to know that everything is getting recorded.

I was wondering if you you be able to to put challenges failed underneath the challenges completed? Not all of the people here are putting what challenges they've done in one post, and it could make it easier for everyone to know that everything is getting recorded.

It's possible, but I'm a little reluctant to do this because it could humiliate some people.

The Second round of challenges is up! As you will no doubt notice on the new leader board at the bottom of the first post, the competition is very close at the moment. This weeks challenges are designed to spread things out a little, meaning they will be much more difficult than what you saw last week. Good luck everybody!

EDIT: Just so you all know, you can still do challenges I-III if you have not played them already. You can also do the challenges out of order, so if you want to do IV-VI before finishing I-III, go ahead.

Challenge 1

Approaching the rebel marines directly from the front Barston took a single deep breath before hawking up the ashen remnants of the worlds civilisation that now filled its atmosphere and spat them to the ground. ‘Five astartes’ - the latent processes of threat appraisal and tactical management hardwired into his consciousness through hypnocognative training over a century before burst into life- ‘one of rank, likely a sergeant‘. His skull visage faceplate snapped shut to hermetically seal his armour and grant the chaplain the benefit of it’s advanced visual sensors; ‘non-standard armament, power fist and plasma weaponry evident, primary threat identified…

He began to advance, the huge bulk of his tactical dreadnought armour complaining at the pace with which he had begun his pursuit before its complex hydraulic systems compensated for the warriors haste.

Distance…16m, Ranged Threat….Nominal, Target Status…Hostile!

Emerging from the artificial gloom of the worlds nuclear winter already at full pace the enemy had little time to react. Raising their weapons and letting slip with a volley of high-reactive boltgun rounds and even the vented fury of an artificial star the traitors failed to stop the chaplains approach with only three bolts finding their mark and then failing to penetrate the thick plasteel plates of his relic suit.

Jonsall allowed himself a smile as he watched the duel plasma bursts unleashed by the sergeants weapon sail across his path.

“That was your only chance traitor! Now feel the wrath of the emperor’s judgment! DORN RISES!” The external vox systems of the chaplains armour burst into life as his pace increased still and his armoured form smashed into the traitors ranks and straight for his fist armed opponent.

“Face me renegade! Redeem thyself and stand before me in combat” the challenge was set and to his enemies credit was answered.

“Some honour yet remains does it?” His question went unanswered as the enemy sergeant lunged forward in an all out attack that left nothing in defence but found its mark broke Barston’s crozius arm. With a grunt of pain and anger the chaplain brought his chain fist down onto his lunging opponent, smashing the energised bulk of the fist and the whirling blades of its serrated edge down through helmet and skull alike leaving nought but a shattered mess of ceremite and brain matter where a head should be.

Attacked from behind as he dealt the mortal blow to their leader the Knight found himself grateful of his armour’s protective qualities as a flurry of blows rained down on him. Swinging his chain fist around at waist height whilst protecting his now fractured left arm Barston dispatched two more of the traitor’s kin, cleaving one clean in two before shattering the pelvis of another and caving in his chest plate with the massive weight of his armoured boot. Turning to engage the final three the chaplain felt the keen edge an astartes monomolecular blade find a weak point in the articulated sections around his abdomen and pierce deep into his flesh, ignoring the searing pain he swung his crozius up, catching his would be killer under the chin, emulsifying his face and snapping his neck in a single action. Not waiting for his opponents to reply he surged towards them, sweeping the legs from under the closest he drove his fist through the stomach of the other before swinging his weapon back down again and again until no life remained but his own…

Victory! (One wound remaining)

Challenge 2 - Victory! (Two wounds remaining)

Challenge 3 - Victory! (One wound remaining)

I've not had time to write the others up yet but hopefully will get them done through the week ready to play out this week's challenges on Saturday).

Cheers,

Cleal

Challenge 3 completed!

turn1:

i sat while the necron came at me. one bolt shot bounced off his armor. he moved 6" and ran 5".

turn2:

combi-melta fired and burned a wound off of the overlord. castellan krae shouts his battlecry and charges causing another wound to the overlord while receiving 1 in return.

in his turns combat phase the overlord wounded twice, but my iron halo saved me and i managed 3 hits with my fist causing 2 wounds with him taking another wound and not getting back up!

a quick down-and-dirty battle with an ancient foe of the black templars. challenge 3 victorious.

just back in town, and will be doing some more painting tonight. hopefully i'll get him finished in the next couple days and get that extra bonus point!

played challege 6. castellan krae beat up on ahriman in 2 turns. ahriman cast bolt of change but took a wound to perils. i then charged in wounding with a melta shot, only to see arhimans foul sorcery block the shot. on my charge he wounded once, but krae's armor/halo turned the damage aside. in return krae wounded once with his power fist and ahriman's soceries were unable to block his mighty fist. double his toughness saw ahriman laid low in one stroke. good win for castellan krae. challenge 4 against guard to follow~

EDIT: challenge 4 vs guard = success!

turn 1 i moved up 4" and didn't shoot. the vets hopped out of the bastion and moved 6" to charge me. the bastion and command squad shot at me, but my armor was too good, no wounds. the squad charged, rolled a 4" and needed an 8 :jaw:

turn2: i moved to charge the vets, the over watch causing 7 wounds and my armor held firm. i challenged the sgt who declined, and i killed 2 vets. they lost combat by 2 failed leadership and i ran them down to destroy them. the command squad disembarked, they rapid fired me and i took all the punishment from them and the bastion.

turn3: i shoot my melta on the way in and take out a command vet, challenge the commander and smush him like a sour grape. the command squad runs and i catch them. in 2 rounds of hitting i destroy the bastion. 1 hull point from my fist and a well placed melta bomb makes the bastion a pile of slag!

i also played challenge 5 vs blood angels too. i was the most concerned about this challenge to be honest. those 2 infernus pistols worried me.

turn1:

i moved up 2" to stay back as far as possible. my 1 bolt round didn't do anything. they jumped 12" to get to me as soon as possible. they shot at me and the 2 infernus pistols were thwarted by my iron halo. they charged, my overwatch did nothing, and they rolled snake eyes HAH :lol:

turh2:

i moved up 5" to be within 3 and shot my melta, hoping for a 6 to precision shot the chappy, but got a regular hit and took out a death company. i then charged, none of them rolling 6s for over watch. i challenged the chappy and he accepted. his crozius wounded krae twice, but only 1 went through his armor. in return krae sent him to sanguinius' side with the crackling edge of his power fist. now the dc pile in, combat over. then in their phase they managed 3 wounds from sword/pistol dc's, all saved by krae. then the axe/hammer guys swung with krae. since everyone is ws5 everyone was on 4s and the axe guy managed to miss all his attacks and the hammer only hit twice. i managed 3 hits. i saved the 2 hammer blows and wounded twice. the hammer was one of the casualties as well as a bp/sword dc. being fearless we were locked. next attacks bounced off krae's armor and then he crushed the remaining 3 with his power fist in one go.

so all 3 challenges were a success. got a bit dicey at times, but i managed to make key invul saves when needed.

also, i have some completed pictured of Castellan Krae:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/warriormid8/photo5-1.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/warriormid8/photo32-1.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/warriormid8/photo22-1.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/warriormid8/photo12-1.jpg

a pic of his name shoulder pad:

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x419/warriormid8/photo4-1.jpg

The emperor was truly with me this day for challenges IV, V, and VI. So from the top.

IV:

EC advanced just to the side of the bastion, running instead of trying to shoot those on top. Several Lasguns, the Quad Gun, and the plasma gun fired at the EC, very few hits and no wounds were caused.

Next turn he strode up to the wall and threw his first grenade inside killing several guardsmen. None were able to return fire as they had no view of him.

Knowing they stood less of a chance staying inside then coming out the Vets jumped out after the second grenade killed more of their men, and let loose with a torrent of las fire. Sadly it did nothing and they were swept away in a single assault phase. The company command squad knowing they had little chance against the EC if he got inside bolted up the lower floor and fired into him with the plasma gun, which promptly exploded in the wielders face doing no damage to the EC. The next grenade brought most of the squad low. This continued until the last model died.

-----------------------------

V:

EC stepped forward cautiously, knowing full well he couldn't let the DC get the charge. For once the DC showed this same caution and advanced a bit slower, using the bolter to put shots down range. Seeing his chance the EC advanced forward at full speed, firing his bolt pistol before moving into a full on charge into their ranks, rolling a solid 10 he stormed across the field through their return fire (which did nothing but fuel his righteous anger) before tearing into the chaplain in single combat. After 2 full game turns of dualing the EC brought the Chaplain down and turned his fury against the squad, bringing both the thunder hammer and another DC down, taking but a single wound and saving every swing from the power axe. In the next turn the axe went down as well and the EC turned to finishing off the squad over the next few turns.

(I got lucky that both the axe and hammer failed their FnP saves from my precision strikes, but the rest of the squad kept making them or not ever getting hit.)

VI:

This one I am not sure I did right, as I was under the impression that by Ahriman taking Pyromancy powers he sacrificed his others powers. If this is not the case I will redo his shooting phase and assault phase as it could matter. Either way this is how it went down.

Ahriman rolled for powers and got: Inferno, Spontaneous Combustion, and Molten Beam. Not looking good for me.

Two islands marked where the two combatants were starting, the EC not wasting anytime strode forward into the lava, avoiding the worst of it. Ahriman stepped up and let loose with Spontaneous combustion and Inferno, Inferno missed while the EC thankfully made his Deny the Witch roll for Combustion.

Wading through the rest of the lava before him the EC dragged himself out of the lava bolt pistol blaring and sword held high. Ahriman tried to stop him with his own pistol but the EC closed the gap and the dual began. All Ahriman needed was a single wound, but the EC would not hear of it, bringing him down to 1 wound in the first round and dispatching him in the next. Ahriman was cut down in seconds and left to burn in the river.

I was incredibly lucky with this one making both my Deny the Witch roll as well as every armor save I was called upon to make. All it would have taken was one wound to end it. Also managing to charge 9" through lava to reach him kind of decided the game right there. Another shooting phase and both Molten Beam and Spontaneous combustion would have ended the EC with ease.

So 4-6 were a victory, (unless like I said I handled the psychic powers wrong but I believe i did that one right) and the EC Vires continues on to further Glory.

What does it take to kill you guys??? :devil: The good news is, this is proof that BT HQs absolutely rock against everything, which is what we want. Of course, this means I may have to escalate the difficulty of the challenges, but we'll see how the others do first.

@Lysere: I believe you are doing it right. Which also means...

@Castellan Alaric: You did the psykic powers wrong (see Lysere's post). However, since our foul witch got perils (which happens no matter what power he's using), I'll just count that as a win, if he had used the pyromancy powers it would not have been different. If we see a witch again (very likely), than remember that if he uses the Rulebook disciplines it replaces his codex powers.

wilco @crimsonlancer. i actually don't have the rulebook so i'll have to reach out to some buddies to help me with those :devil: i just used the choas codex powers cuz i thought that would be ok. he did roll an 11 for his psychic check though so he suffered perils. thanks for the help!

wilco @crimsonlancer. i actually don't have the rulebook so i'll have to reach out to some buddies to help me with those <_< i just used the choas codex powers cuz i thought that would be ok. he did roll an 11 for his psychic check though so he suffered perils. thanks for the help!

Not sure about now but it used to be a 12 or snake eyes caused a perils, rolling an 11 just failed to do anything. Then again haven't read the perils rules since I started playing 6th.

I think nothing less then a baneblade will be needed to kill us, Vires just refuses to lose to anything other then that Necron Lord. (I looked up the rules for some of his stuff when I had a chance today. Not enough to play but I didn't like what I saw)

You're right Lysere. The rule is the same in 6th. Double 6's or Snake Eyes is required for the caster to suffer perils of the warp. However, on a Snake Eyes, he still uses the power, even if he is wounded or killed as a result. I think Alaric is meaning double 1's, and not an actual eleven...right?

hhmmm well i do believe he just failed then, but even with that wound my power fist still doubles his toughness and splats him in 1 go right? or does ahriman have an item that gives him eternal warrior?

He does not so he would go splat, like the filthy witch he is.

Our contestants seem to be lacking in zeal... We only have two that have completed challenges IV-VI, with only two days left until the next round.

That seems to be the case. I have been tempted to make some extra characters. (Not counting for the contest) Just to try some random character idea's I have out against something I didn't come up with.

Ran challenge IV tonight with my son. He elected to place the Bastion in the far right corner, opposite of Reclusiarch Laertes. There was enough room all around to utilize firing points, HBs, and the Quad Gun, but not too far for my chappy to close with and destroy it with Melta Bombs!

Turn 1:

Laertes jumps the full twelve inches and runs seven to the front door of the Bastion, thereby preventing the IG from disembarking - they could have, of course, jumped to their deaths (which would have been faster and probably less painful). The guard did have some slight lines of sight with the plas and a few las guns, but fortunately, Laertes' Artificer Armor proved impenetrable to the IG's feeble weapons (Plas missed the wound roll and the three Las shots that got through only wounded one, which I saved). End Turn.

Turn 2:

Laertes places his Melta Bomb right at the front door and rings the doorbell. BOOM!!! Total Collapse...causing 8 unsaved wounds to the command squad on the roof, thereby slaying them all. The Vet squad was still inside the building manning the firing points when the explosion tore the bastion apart. The last thing they saw before eternal darkness was the roof collapsing on their heads. No escape, no quarter given.

Victory! Albeit, it was a little dishonorable not allowing the IG to leave their tomb in order to fight in glorious hand to hand, but quite fun and satisfying nonetheless.

I'll be back with more batreps as I complete them.

Edit - Challenge IV complete

I couldn't wait any longer, so I ran this one by myself after everyone went to bed!

Deployment. Laertes started in his corner, wary of his prey. The DCs and Chap began close to the opposite corner, also wary but confident that strength in numbers would suffice.

Turn 1:

Laertes moves six inches, electing not to close too quickly with the deadly DCs. The DCs, seeing this tactic, follow suit and only close seven inches with their packs, not realizing that they were a half inch out of BP range (oops! haha). Laertes lets loose with his PP and takes out the Hammer DC who was foolish enough to be out front, leading the pack. His battle brothers, out of range could do nothing. Laertes rolls nine, but needs a twelve to charge the front rank with the Chappy and Axe. The DCs roll a ten. HA!

Turn 2:

Laertes moves one inch while the DCs close the gap significantly so they can be within both weapons and charge range. One more PP shot and one more dead DC (a BP/CCW this time). All DC weapons belch fire at Laertes. The two Inferno Pistols roll a one and two respectively, while all BPs find their mark. No wounds this round. Infuriated, Laertes fires his jump pack and charges headlong into base contact with the chappy and the nearest BP/CCW marine. Even with HoW, he causes only two unsaved wounds...one to the BP/CCW and one to the Chappy (LoS fails and the Chap takes his first wound). They pass their morale check with flying colors...something to be said for Chaplains in battle! The DCs strike back hard. All six hits find their marks, but all are miraculously saved (Arty Armor and Rosarious Baby!!!)

Turn 3:

Laertes has one hit that wounds, but it's saved. The DCs don't find much success either with a lot of misses and a handful of lucky saves.

Turn 4:

All three of Laertes crozius hits strike home, causing another wound to the Chappy...LoS worked for one of the wounds, killing the last BP/CCW marine. The DC Chappy, stunned, misses all three of his attacks, but the Axe DC is highly pissed off at watching his brothers fall all around him. One of his attacks finds a weak spot in the Arty Armor and causes the only wound to Laertes. Morale check is made...again.

Turn 5:

Laertes sees two hits but only one wound...and it's saved...again. The DC Chappy has got his wits about him now and strikes Laertes twice, but the Arty Armor holds true. The axe misses completely.

Turn 6 (rolled to see if 6 would be needed, and it was):

Laertes hits three times with the Crozius, causing the final grievous wound to the DC Chappy...killing him...finally. LoS did not work once again, leaving the Axe DC alone on the battlefield. He failed his morale check. With a heavy heart and his dead brothers at his feet, he turned tail and began to run. Laertes would have none of it and struck down the defeated marine before he got two steps. Double fours! Laertes beats the roll by one only bc of his initiative.

It took forever, but he finally made it through the DCs and accompanying Chap. The maul is nice, but against softer targets. Too many saves against PA troops. Once again, PP proved VERY worthwhile to have. I haven't rolled a one yet, thank the Emperor, so I'm pretty high on it right now. I really wish that I would have brought a PF or Axe for the tougher opponents. Some very lucky dice rolls won the day...it really could have gone the other way several times. BUT, my new BT dice are doing me proud and saving my characters butt more times than not.

I'll be back another day with more batreps. Crusade on, brothers!

ok, couple things @phil 1) your chappy has a pistol+ccw to gain +1a so base he has 4. 2) death company are fearless and don't take morale checks (they don't care how many of their buddies die :) ) even thought you would have smashed the axe guy in the end, he wouldn't have run away from you lol looks good! when i played myself for the ig challenge, i had the vet squad jump out and rapid fire the crap outa me to give em a chance, not that they had one :D good stuff! keep the eternal crusade rolling!

ok, couple things @phil 1) your chappy has a pistol+ccw to gain +1a so base he has 4. 2) death company are fearless and don't take morale checks (they don't care how many of their buddies die :P ) even thought you would have smashed the axe guy in the end, he wouldn't have run away from you lol looks good! when i played myself for the ig challenge, i had the vet squad jump out and rapid fire the crap outa me to give em a chance, not that they had one :lol: good stuff! keep the eternal crusade rolling!

Well...crap! :tu: Of course those pretty boys are fearless and don't have to pass morale checks. Guess not having the dex hurts a little. Yeah, I completely left out the +1 attack after the intial charge. I'm thinking that the outcome would probably have been similar, but you just never know...dice can be a blessing or a curse. I'll rectify that...thanks for the call on my discrepancies...it always helps to have more experienced players watching over your moves. Appreciate the critique! :P

so i played challenge VIII against the paladins and alas, castellan krae lost his first challenge of the competition. bad luck on attack rolls led to my demise.

turn1

i only moved 3" so they couldn't charge on the first turn and fired a bolter round to no effect

-the pallies moved up 6" and let loose with all their ranged firepower. caused 1 wound...damn failed arty armor saves...ugh

turn2

i move 6" and shoot my melta, killing the stave wielding pally. i then charged, they only managed 3 wounds from the 3 non-hammer dudes and i saved them all. i saved the 1 hammer wound i received as well, and killed the halberd guy in response. only 1 wound out of 5 attacks is not good enough. bad rolling...

-they swung back and the 2 sword guys both hit twice and wound twice and i fail 2 saves...YUK! stupid dice...

so krae met his match finally. i'll play the tyranid and space wolf challenge tomorrow when i can look at their dexes. how'd everyone else fares against the pallies?

Archived