Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

Looking through this thread really helps motivating me to try and get stuff done.

You may polish your armour and use hairgel, but the same blood flows in our veins. I hail thee, brother!

I love the face, and the flowing hair is a very nice touch, though I myself would have painted his hair grey.

I know, I know, BA's gene-seed and all that, but the dude is ancient...

In Bloodquest Dante has dark brown/black hair. But he might be dyeing his hair... Or wearing a wig.

I love the face, and the flowing hair is a very nice touch, though I myself would have painted his hair grey.

In Bloodquest Dante has dark brown/black hair. But he might be dyeing his hair... Or wearing a wig.

:cuss  .  Now the image of Dante in my head is forever ruined. All I can think of is a jump assault, with half of a toupee flapping in the wind.

In Bloodquest Dante has dark brown/black hair. But he might be dyeing his hair... Or wearing a wig.

censored.gif . Now the image of Dante in my head is forever ruined. All I can think of is a jump assault, with half of a toupee flapping in the wind.

Dante Trump, Lord of the Blood Angels.

Glad to hear that all's going well! I missed your Tycho updates and must say that the sculpting on his face is incredibly good. And the skintone that you've painted is just stunninngly good. Great stuff mate :)

Dante's hairdo looks a bit strange, but that could be due to it not being painted. The skin is, once again, terrific!

the main reason dantes hair looks strange is because its a bit out of context atm, if you look closely its a very dark shade of black/brown (as dantes hair should be) but as the rest of the model is missing it just makes it look like he's a member of the mishima family from tekken. ;)

good work dude, i do think maybe you could go one step further with highlighting the skin just on a few areas, ie nose, cheekbones and maybe a few frown lines on his forehead, but thats down to personal preference.

Thanks all :) im fairly happy with it, ive spotted that the hair could use some near white highlights to give it a sheen. And lorenzen kindly photoshopped to demonstrate some final highlights for the skin. :)

Now I have a challenge if anyone is up for it.

Give me your gold recipes please, with an example of how it looks as well if possible.

My favorite gold recipe so far is the one Sheep uses for his Sons of Horus

I believe he starts on a base of Adeptus Battlegrey, though I didn't on the model below. 

Vallejo "Old Gold" Liquid Gold base

Devlan Wash

Shining Gold highlight

Shining Gold/Chainmail highlight

Light black wash in the recesses

I knocked this one up pretty quickly but I believe it complements the red particularly well. The true color lies somewhere in the middle of how it looks in the pics. As you can see, same model, different lighting. The gold acts pretty life-like. Liquid Gold is the way to go, I'll never go back to normal golds. :)

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/gold_zps78e55c87.png

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

time for updates again.

Firstly - I've gone through a lot of my miniatures and removed them from my company, they got donated to a friend of mine, I just couldnt deal with the poor quality sculpting (comparatively at least) and wanted my entire army to look like they belonged together. So of the original 4 tactical squads I made, I think I have around 7 models remaining, of the original 2 assault squads I made, I retained 13 of the models.

However I've been pretty busy the last month or so, and have 6 full tactical squads built (with various conversions) and 2 assault squads built, I also completely redesigned my honour guard, build some new rhinos (extra armour rhino and deimos rhino), I've got the bases made for the first 10 devastators, once done I'll make some death company models before moving onto the final 10 devastators, then I get to focus all my efforts on Tychos honour guard and the sternguard and vanguard :)

I've also finally started playing 6th edition and so far have enjoyed it immensely.

Anyway, Updates...

Shot of 3rd company (bottom shelf) and elements of 1st and support (top shelf)

gallery_14877_7794_787977.jpg

Image of the tactical squads.

gallery_14877_7794_584911.jpg

Image of the Assault Squads + command structure of 3rd Co

gallery_14877_7794_151421.jpg

Bit of Progress on Dante, a LOT to do, the gold will be much lighter when I'm done, so far its just a layer of VMC bronze and a variety of washes.

gallery_14877_7794_242625.jpg

Tycho has likewise had some progress:

gallery_14877_7794_286901.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_224642.jpg

But probably the most exciting (for me) update, is that my Thunderhawk now flies!

gallery_14877_7794_130309.jpggallery_14877_7794_708985.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_24407.jpg

Cheers folks, it's much appreciated! :) (although I'm nowhere near the standard of a Forgeworld or GW sculptor, I now feel like I need to remove Tychos Tabbard again as it doesn't look great in the photo. (will be the... 5th time))

Darth, I'm happy to show you the Jumpers.

Didn't want to post 36 individual marines in one post!

Assault Squad 1:

gallery_14877_7794_614205.jpg

Assault Squad 2:

gallery_14877_7794_622954.jpg

Vanguard Squad:

gallery_14877_7794_527540.jpg

3rd Sanguinary Guard Squad (first two are pretty much out of the box):

gallery_14877_7794_559388.jpg

Honour Guard:

gallery_14877_7794_656973.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_4950.jpg

Also, Tactical Sergeants: