Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh78T--ZUxY

Replace Alice Cooper with Blindhamster (and a bunch of other modellers on this forum) and that pretty much sums up my feelings on your update sir.

Couple of quick questions, is that a forgeworld razorback turret on the storm raven?  What size drill bit are you using to hollow out the helmets? What tools are you using for the sculpting?  Do you have any chaplains you haven't shown us stashed anywhere?  

• 1 month later...

just a minor update, I have infact been doing stuff...

I ruined a rhino (tried airbrushing green wash, it did terrible... terrible things). I've built a mk4 Lascannon predator, shaded a dreadnaught, shaded a bunch of tacticals and assault marines, started blacking out details on some other stuff, started building sniper scouts, started painting the interiors of a couple of other rhinos and the storm raven...

anyway, just a couple of piccies of the servitor in the storm raven...

med_gallery_14877_7794_128310.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_96262.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_29736.jpg

my question, should i bother highlighting the silver further? should i bother adding highlights to the skin (its just had some shading done and nothing else atm. What colour should the cables be?

Wow blindhammer im really amazed with all those conversion, very inspiring man, you made me back to work in my blood angels army again, so thank you for the inspiring work.

The sternguard are just perfect, what model did you use? mkII and mkIII command squad from FW?, also your conversion on dante based on sanguinor? Thanks in advanced

• 3 weeks later...

So... works been very busy and will remain busy till at least June (been doing between 10 and 15 hour days 5 days a week :(

managed to get out at a reasonable time tonight and get a bit of work done on my custom Mephiston... I'm using various other peoples work, the classic model and the art from the limited ed novella as well as the codex as inspiration for him. I opted for a fairly static pose on him as it makes him look a touch more inspiring - and I'm hoping he regains IC status whenever I get a new book, I may use him as a Praetor for heresy era games though :P

anyway, VERY early currently, a lot of decisions to be made so I'm hoping I can get some input from people.

med_gallery_14877_7794_15676.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_100546.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_110525.jpg

I have ordered the Blood Crusher Champion sword which will get some sculpting work done on it to make Vitarus. The head is from the Lord Executioner, torso and legs are a hacked up astorath model...

I'm pretty set on the use of the left arm, it'll mean Vitarus is in a fairly relaxed pose, likewise I'm happy with the head choice, which maintains the class gaunt look.

right arm is troubling me though... currently thats part of the Dark Vengeance Librarian arm and will give him a casting type pose... I could alternatively look at doing the right arm with a plasma pistol aiming, not sure which plasma pistol model I'd use though. OR I could go for the classic 2nd ed pose and have him wiping his mouth with his wrist?

I'll be giving him the proper mephiston coat (as it's iconic and without it, the model just looks too much like astorath. I'll be sculpting different knees (like the ones seen on the novella artwork) I'll be adding a lot of detail to the gauntlets (again to match the novella if I go for casting or shooting, if I go for wiping mouth, both arms will get gloves like classic model and art).

What about the 'skirt'? Do I go for one that'll cover most of the detail on the legs? or do I go for one that has it slightly open, again like the novella artwork? both have benefits so I really don't know! Both shoulder pads will be sculpted, I did consider using astoraths left pad for Mephistons right, but it's actually very skinny. His hair will be sculpted once I've worked out the detail of the signature psychic hood.

anyway, suggestions and help are welcome, as well as alternative right arm and base suggestions!

Cheers

The pose is freakin excellent, love the relaxed but imperious look. I would recommend the open 'skirt' as you've gone to the effort of using decent legs it seems a shame to cover that up. I'm painting a Mephistopheles at the moment, you got a good fluff-tastic colour guide?

That is one awesome looking conversion so far. I definitely agree with darkwrath on the skirt, keep it wide open. I'd keep the casting hand and sculpt the skirt so that it looks as if there's a strong wind coming from the front.

Something is off with the legs/groin area.. atm it looks like he has rickets.. now its not the legs that are wrong but the codpeice imho.. if you go with the open robe on the legs it needs to be adressed.

Otherwise excellent work so far

Your conversion is already looking ace!

As for the right arm, I quite like the current arm used. The wiping mouth pose also sounds cool but I wonder if it would block too much of his lower face an take away that grim gaze or add more to it.

Something I have been thinking about lately is rotating the wrist, so the palm is facing up.

and retracting the arm, so it is almost cradling.

And that way he would be "charging" his attack.

You could scuplt the energyball/hadoken to be drawing in energy

with his cloak/tabard all billowing and what not.

That way he is still obviously the Pysker, but in more of a dignified and calm pose, rather than outright attacking.

Kinda like saying

"Dont make me come over there! I'm charging my attack. When I count to 5!" haha and so on...

Fantastic work btw.

Thanks guys smile.png the positive initial response is very encouraging!

So, I've been asked to give regular progress updates on Mephiston, that is a good idea, they will show only small bits of progress for now as 1) I've only got little points I can work on him, and 2) I'm getting the basics of the legs done, as I cannot do the skirt/coat till they're done.

K&F specifically mentioned the legs, looking at them, I feel he was right, but hopefully these progress shots are better. please let me know.

med_gallery_14877_7794_93899.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_80276.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_37577.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_5643.jpg

I'll be adding a rim on the right knee, smoothing out the outer thighs some more, and may add a bit more bulk to the crotch still. the rims of the knee will probably get little spikes on them too, but we'll see!

In other news... my blood crusher champion sword arrived... I underestimated just how large it was, so I now need alternative suggestions? The weapon needs to have at least a similar shape to Mephistons sword, I considered sergeant Lorenzos from space hulk, but its 1) a limited ed model and 2) not pointy enough.

Suggestions?

I quite like the idea of the charging psychic power, but I wonder if it's a good choice for mephiston?

I'm wondering if perhaps having the one arm resting on the sword (kind of like the grey knight arm where sword is in the mud) might be a good look? or both arms back in a sort of 'powering up' type pose?

What about the sword from the warriors of chaos fantasy box? or the fantasy chaos marauder box?

That Mephiston is off to a wonderful and imposing start, can't wait to see what you do with the collar, cloak, etc.  The use of the lord executioner head was a good one, the gaunt, angular structure lends itself well to a revamped mephiston; although I don't envy your herculian task of giving him his flowing locks! 

Archived