The Sound of Machines - commission painting thread

Hey dudes, thought I'd sling some pics up here, if no one minds? These are all commission works that I've been doing for the last few weeks and I'll keep them all in the one thread so there's not too much clutter from me. I don't want to overload the forum with all the pics, so I'll just put a few select ones up and, if people like them, they can hunt down the other ones.

I'll keep adding to this as things are completed or I find older pics worth sharing.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Blood%20Angels/DSC03839.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Chaos%20Marines/DSC03917.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Death%20Guard/DSC04146.jpg

Any questions or comments please feel free to let me know, would love to hear it.

Cheers all, thanks for having me!

Luke

Surrender your gold recipe unto me or be destroyed!

...pretty please?:evil:

It looks sweet, and I'm always looking for new ways to do it. So far all my attempts have ended in..well, yeah, I'm still asking for recipes so you can guess.

No worries at all Donald Sutherland - it'd be a pleasure!

That is Vallejo Bronze with Vallejo Old Gold over the top - these two paints beat up my old GW golds and kicked them out of the tool box. If you haven't tried Old Gold, I can't recommend it enough!

Then I washed it a few times with GW Brown and Chestnut INK (ignore those new washes!) mixed with a little flow medium and some water. Certain spots for that treatment a few times and others was just the once for shading.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on mate - if you need anything further, please do let me know!

And thanks for the kindness :devil:.

Luke

I'm not a picture pro, but I think you should try to find something black for a background (a sheet of black paper should do) and remove the autofocus (look at the plaguebearer picture... The frontline is clearly out of focus).

We want pictures where we can truly appriciate the paintjob :D

I love the plague marine banner, where is it from?

The sanguinary guard (or honor guard?) is also pretty ace. Awesome models. I personally think a lot of detail is lost when you choose to do an all-gold mini, which is sad because they're so heavily ornamented. The power weapons are ace, though!

Hey mate, thanks for the comments and you're spot on. It's funny you mention that, all of my models are currently being reshot using a black light box (that's a light box that's black, not with black light inside!) because the photos I take at home are rubbish :). I've got some pics back already, but I didn't want to spam you guys on my first day. Here's one for you though (okay, two):

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Grey%20Knights/DSC06811.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Emerald%20Knights/DSC04791.jpg

I should say too, the Plaguie pics are a little naff - I was toying around with some quick editing so the shots are a little weird. Sorry if that sounds like an excuse, certainly a lot of my pics are rubbish, but this one was on purpose (I got a cool moody shot where they look like proper zombies). I'll show you a clean shot though, an excuse to post another pic:

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Demons/DSC07407_zps9b281426.jpg

That Plague Marine banner is just from the WFB Giant kit, with a Cadian helmet put on it :P. Nice and easy.

I can't remember if they were Honour or Sanguinary Guard, but yeah I was happy with them - my first attempt at all gold. I've learnt a lot since then and would do things a little different (air brush for starters!). That was also my first real attempt at lightning too - so I'm stoked to see them getting good reports as I really didn't know what I was doing!

Thanks again guys! I really do appreciate the feedback and comments.

Luke

I'm not a picture pro, but I think you should try to find something black for a background (a sheet of black paper should do) and remove the autofocus (look at the plaguebearer picture... The frontline is clearly out of focus).

We want pictures where we can truly appriciate the paintjob ;)

I love the plague marine banner, where is it from?

The sanguinary guard (or honor guard?) is also pretty ace. Awesome models. I personally think a lot of detail is lost when you choose to do an all-gold mini, which is sad because they're so heavily ornamented. The power weapons are ace, though!

Hey mate, for those bone coloured ones I mixed up a whole bunch of random colours (Khaki, Bleached Bone, a bit of Foundation White) and layered it on before washing them back with some black mixed with floor polish. I tend to try and use up colours that are almost finished, and this was one of those times - as long as it was roughly the right colour, I was happy. The Foundation White was to counter the thinness of the Khaki - the Bleached was just for that creamy colour it gives (jeepers, I sound like a tool!)

They are the 7th unit of 7 in my army (they are my own models) and I just wanted to do something other than green!

Thanks again! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Luke

Those look really great.

Mind sharing how you did the armor on the plague marines?

The black light box is spot on. Much better picture. Again you've chosen a light grey for the guns on a metal mini - I would've gone with a khorne red or maybe just a black to make it stand out more. But if that is your style, then so be it.

Can't really see what is going on with the GK bases, but the green-knights bases are awesome! Does the different shoulder colours (white, purple, black) denote anything? Also, it looks like you drybrushed over the black on the guns, is that on purpose? Looks a bit weird to me, I'd have stuck to black gruns, maybe with a grey highlight.

No worries at all Donald Sutherland - it'd be a pleasure!

That is Vallejo Bronze with Vallejo Old Gold over the top - these two paints beat up my old GW golds and kicked them out of the tool box. If you haven't tried Old Gold, I can't recommend it enough!

Then I washed it a few times with GW Brown and Chestnut INK (ignore those new washes!) mixed with a little flow medium and some water. Certain spots for that treatment a few times and others was just the once for shading.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on mate - if you need anything further, please do let me know!

And thanks for the kindness :P.

Luke

GW ink is a tall order these days. Is wash not good, or just not AS good? I've had mixed results with it myself~ aside from darkening my Melta barrels, I've not been too impressed, though seeing what others can make with them leads me to believe I'm just doing something wrong ;). I've never used flow medium, would that help with washes as well as inks (and does Vallejo make it so I could buy it along with the gold paints)?

As for the painting, are you covering all but the deep recesses in Old Gold after a Bronze basecoat, or are you just highlighting edges of the Bronze basecoat with the Old Gold?

Donald Sutherland thanks you for the positive waves.

Good point, black guns would have worked too - not digging the red though, but black for sure. Here's a pic of the GK bases pre resin and gore:

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Secret%20Weapon/DSC06282.jpg

The shoulder colours denote their squads and it's a green edge highlight on the guns - some a little rougher than others! Snot Green and Goblin Green over the Black.

Thanks again Validar!

Luke

The black light box is spot on. Much better picture. Again you've chosen a light grey for the guns on a metal mini - I would've gone with a khorne red or maybe just a black to make it stand out more. But if that is your style, then so be it.

Can't really see what is going on with the GK bases, but the green-knights bases are awesome! Does the different shoulder colours (white, purple, black) denote anything? Also, it looks like you drybrushed over the black on the guns, is that on purpose? Looks a bit weird to me, I'd have stuck to black gruns, maybe with a grey highlight.

It is harder to find, I was lucky enough to buy up big when I heard the change was coming... Um, you can use Secret Weapon washes or even Vallejo (Smoke is a good one to thin down for washes).

Um, I'm just not a big fan of those washes at all - they make everything so matt and if you try to thin them, they break up into pigment and medium. They come pretty much at their thinnest they can go. There are some uses for them (my Plaguebearers use those washes) but I generally prefer to thin paint to make my own (Chaos Black and Scorched Brown thinned out makes a great wash!). Yes Vallejo make the Matt Medium - though Lahmian Medium from GW might work too? However, if you want to be thrifty, you can go to an art shop and buy a huge pot of clear acrylic medium (make sure it's CLEAR - white medium messes up your colours!). It's good for painting, washing and inking.

Yeah just slap the gold on and leave a little bit of bronze showing through (for that style of gold) of you can add a little silver and do a second highlight. Both Bronze and Old Gold have pretty good coverage, so you'll find it's a little easier to blend and drybrushes even work well too.

Cheers for the questions mate - hope I've been of some help!

Luke

GW ink is a tall order these days. Is wash not good, or just not AS good? I've had mixed results with it myself~ aside from darkening my Melta barrels, I've not been too impressed, though seeing what others can make with them leads me to believe I'm just doing something wrong :jaw:. I've never used flow medium, would that help with washes as well as inks (and does Vallejo make it so I could buy it along with the gold paints)?

As for the painting, are you covering all but the deep recesses in Old Gold after a Bronze basecoat, or are you just highlighting edges of the Bronze basecoat with the Old Gold?

Donald Sutherland thanks you for the positive waves.

Haha - they are dead bodies man! But yeah, some do look like rabbits now that you mention it!

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Grey%20Knights/DSC06652.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Grey%20Knights/DSC06603.jpg

Hard to show both the model and the base - especially with the clear resin which is so so glossy!

Thanks for the comments BassWave :jaw:

Luke

There are rabbits on the GK bases, i'm guessing its a vorpal bunny reference.

Very very cool stuff here :jaw:

Hey thanks so much mate! Very greatly appreciate the compliment - cheers so much.

Those bases are pre-cast resin from Secret Weapon Miniatures in the US: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/ - can't recommend them highly enough!

The blood was a lot of fun - I painted the bases, then washed it with some red ink really thinned. Whilst pouring in the resin, which is clear, I used an eyedropper to drop a really thinned mix of Tamiya Clear Red (get some of this!!!) and Flesh Wash around the bodies, so it mixed with the resin and gave a sort of natural pooling/drifting effect. This was the first time trying this out and some are a little more OTT than others, but on the whole I think they came up alright.

I'll be doing some more in December for the same guy, I'll film the process, if you like? Then you can see how it's done (a second pair of hands really helps!)

Thanks again redmapa - very kind.

beautiful stuff dude, how did you make those bases or do they sell them somewhere? also how did you paint that blood? looks great..

Those bases are pre-cast resin from Secret Weapon Miniatures in the US: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/ - can't recommend them highly enough!

The blood was a lot of fun - I painted the bases, then washed it with some red ink really thinned. Whilst pouring in the resin, which is clear, I used an eyedropper to drop a really thinned mix of Tamiya Clear Red (get some of this!!!) and Flesh Wash around the bodies, so it mixed with the resin and gave a sort of natural pooling/drifting effect. This was the first time trying this out and some are a little more OTT than others, but on the whole I think they came up alright.

Thanks for the info! I personally like how the skin tone looks, its very simple yet real enough to cause an impression..

Thanks all - I genuinely 100% appreciate the positive feedback. I can also handle critique :blush: (just don't tell me it's "wrong" - in a game of fantasy laser battles, very little seems wrong to me)

Here's another couple of pics to say thanks... Many that Logan is OLD!

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Blood%20Angels/DSC03804.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Death%20Guard/DSC01451.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Space%20Wolves/DSC01769.jpg

PS> Honestly, I've got a LOAD of pics, I just don't want to innundate you guys all at once and monopolise the forum, that's why I'm spooning them out slowly. Thanks!

Luke

Nice work on the power weapon. I struggle with those a lot, but part of it is just my brushes. Really, not making excuses! ^_^

Need some better quality brushes so I can actually get thin lines with watery paints (Vallejo in particular). As is they always come out a bit too readily, and so they spread too wide to look lightningy. :blush:

Ah well, anyway, great work. Although of the lot, the nurgley tank seems a bit subpar compared to the rest. But then again it's kinda hard to tell when a Nurgle model is sloppy :) .

Good brushes can only help. I don't spend bucketloads, but I spend enough to get decent quality.

Really? I like that tank... and the 7000pt army that goes with it :). It is hard to tell with Nurgle though, as you say!

Nice work on the power weapon. I struggle with those a lot, but part of it is just my brushes. Really, not making excuses! ^_^

Need some better quality brushes so I can actually get thin lines with watery paints (Vallejo in particular). As is they always come out a bit too readily, and so they spread too wide to look lightningy. :)

Ah well, anyway, great work. Although of the lot, the nurgley tank seems a bit subpar compared to the rest. But then again it's kinda hard to tell when a Nurgle model is sloppy :lol: .

Popping in to comment on the Nurgle tank: I think it's just coming across a little shallow and flat. It's a good color, but the battle damage is the same depth of shade as the actual line shading, so they read the same and then the whole tank turns into green and darker green spots. At least, that's my take. Everything looks stellar though! :teehee:

Hey thanks for that Artemid - I quite like the Rhino so it's good to get another opinion to fill in for some of my bias B) Perhaps that Death Guard army is more impressive as a whole, or I really am just too into myself - haha! But yeah, thanks heaps for letting me know what you think - that is why I'm putting the pics here after all.

Regardless, here's another pic:

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Emerald%20Knights/DSC05044.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/DerekStrontium/Emerald%20Knights/DSC06733.jpg

The tanks are a little boring, but they match the army AND, more importantly, the instructions I was given :P

Cheers guys, keep the comments coming! :lol:

Luke

Popping in to comment on the Nurgle tank: I think it's just coming across a little shallow and flat. It's a good color, but the battle damage is the same depth of shade as the actual line shading, so they read the same and then the whole tank turns into green and darker green spots. At least, that's my take. Everything looks stellar though! B)

Archived