Ultramarines 1st Company project

UltraRich

Thanks guys

My playing days are over so now I tend to follow the rule of cool and not worry about fluff too much. 

So in my company the Nid vets thought about whats needed if theres another infestation and they Macgyver'd this 

Once its finished it will go on Shelf 2 in my office (as shelf 1 has about 50 mini, 4 dreds and 4 tanks) along with the rest of my first company 

I now paint just for the hobby like I did 25 years ago! 

Ive just got one side finished tonight so Im hoping to have the tank body done by the end of the weekend

I think your predator on steroids is off to a good start (seriously though, I wish predators could take something like a mini hurricane bolter as sponsons- it would help them a lot for anti horde).

However, I think that your edge highlights under the front headlamps are a little too thick- perhaps if you added some OSL to the lights it would cut it down, or go over it again with the base color cutting the highlight thickness by about half?

Excellent minis so far Brother. I love the look of the predator, though I haven't the foggiest idea of how you're going to represent it on the tabletop.

It could be a pred with a flame storm cannon with heavy bolter sponsons.

As you can use that pattern of predator it's in the FW 40k stamp thing

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Ivebeen working on the turret.

With the extra armour this things got so many angles and sides to blend its a nightmare. It still needs its final edge highlights before I start the cupola 

Ive gone old school with the flamer, I might add scorching but Im not sure.

I also got around to playing with magnets so I magnetized the dozer, in hindsight I should have magnetized the support under the tank and not just the blade 

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_1273_zpse4078794.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_1275_zps28d32239.jpg

Thanks.

Enough with the WIP now the next picture will be the finished mini bu that may be in a few weeks due to fact that it will take me at least two to paint the counts as Kronos and I may do a suprise banner.... (thats no longer a surprise) as I cant find a surface clean enough to do a Nid Vet logo the size I want

The back banners about done.

At the moment I've gone with the FW ven dread tyranid back banner and it's looking ok.

I wouldn't mind free handing a banner to see what it looks like but I can't find the ultramarine veteran logo in a printed format anywhere.

I don't mean the 3rd company banner with the nid skull on its side but I'm referring to the vet logo which has a front facing nid skull with the blade through it. ( like on the shoulder pads)

Has anyone got one they can post

Thanks

I don't suppose it's the same as the small ignesia on their banner in the bottom right is it?

As if it is I have some photo's of the 5th and 6th ed banner (they have slightly different colour schemes) if you want them.

I don't suppose it's the same as the small ignesia on their banner in the bottom right are you?

As if you are I have some photo's of the 5th and 6th ed banner (they have slightly different colour schemes) if you want them.

Thanks

If you have a pic of it please post it. I have found one on cmon so I might use elements of that

Heres where Im up to.

The post is temporary but you get the idea

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_1280_zps6b6c56b2.jpg

Still lots of work to do

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_1281_zps9085470c.jpg

Stunning! Are you using GW paints with your airbrush? If so, what are you using to thin them out? smile.png

Yes I use GW paints

I just use water to thin them and it seems to work fine

The trick Ive found is to hit it in layers. Do one, go do something else then come back to it

It gives a nice flat coat

Stunning! Are you using GW paints with your airbrush? If so, what are you using to thin them out? smile.png

Yes I use GW paints

The trick Ive found is to hit it in layers. Do one, go do something else then come back to it

Thanks! Last question: what kind of ratio do you use for paint/water?

Yes I use GW paints

Thanks! Last question: what kind of ratio do you use for paint/water?

The honest answer is whatever sprays well

I find different paints need different ratios. Base paints for example need more as they are thicker.

Layer ones need very little

Milky is probably the best ratio!

Id probably start off with 60% pant to 40% water. If it sprays and pools then its too much water. If it comes out in spits then it needs more.

I always start on a piece of paper first before moving to the mini

Ive got the back banner done.

The icons are out of focus for some reason but they are sharp in real life

Ive gone for a stone effect on the banner top and tried to get a thread effect on the banner stihng although I think the lines could have been tighter

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_1285_zps84f1c886.jpg

Quick update

I had a go at a freehand banner

Its still in early stages but Im not sure if Ive started the U too far down so I now need to fill the top

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_1287_zps474d8222.jpg

Looks about the right height to me thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Im going to put a scroll above it and try and remove all the dark black lines with shading so it should look less stark and more blended

Congratulations on the Mod upgrade too. :)

Archived