The Cadian 256

Idlem

• 1 month later...

Well! My internet has been unavailable for a bit so I've not had much ability to post any decent pictures or replies! (A month late for the answer, but I think that's the camera shine, though there is highlighting in that exact spot too so it's hard to tell.)

Been doing a lot of work on the Old Cadian 256, mostly going back to older models and redoing them and touching up some of the paintjobs. Working on bases too, seeing how I left a lot of them unfinished or just inconsistant with other squads.

First of all, I kitbashed a new Harker model. Compared to my old one, I find the pose a lot better and frankly I am pleased with the model a lot more.

16678093322_89f7d16375_c.jpg

Next up are my Bullgryns! I absolutely loved painting these guys. They've been amazing holding the line in my games, plus protecting my tanks from deepstrikes.

16678087032_3f2757c66a_c.jpg

16677751741_42e967ce76_c.jpg

Finally my (hopeful) entry into blood and glory. Got a second Leman Russ for a tank commander and one last unfinished Bullgryn for such an Elite Challenge.

16471824617_657db72c40_c.jpg

Doh! I forgot to take a picture of their backs! The Ogryns all have religious script on their backs and words such as "Duty!" "Honor!" and "Forward!" written out for the guardsmen behind them. I'll get a picture up of them next I can get to my minis.

• 1 month later...

So through a series of shenanigans, I got lost in the warp and had to check in with the local mechanicus. Unfortunate for me that only now can I post my Blood and Glory work. Though lost in the machinations of the warp, I managed to be a productive servant of the Emperor, so here are some of the things I have worked on and had finished!

First of all, here is my tank commander, "Ironfist" Abrams aboard the "Godhammer". It so far has lived up to its name against that jerk all blurry in the background.

17071110035_2dcdc439f2_c.jpg

Next, we have my Ogryn buddy who finishes out his squad nicely. A look at them in "Guardvision" here. (You know, the view from keeping cover behind them)

17069643142_2e4ea0f269_c.jpg

17070348031_343a8759ff_c.jpg

Finally, I have my special weapons teams.

16863702097_9f4d362f24_c.jpg

They have been an absolute blast to convert. Some of them have some of the "older" model plasmaguns,

16884896029_7501bdd047_c.jpg

While the rest have a less power-intensive version.

16863727457_ec534c5173_c.jpg

Glad I finally got to convert my two poor bodyguards into something useful again. They've been sitting out ever since the new dex and it just didn't feel right not using them.

• 1 month later...

God how I hate playing against those guardsmen with plasma guns and the Ogryn. Whats even worst is manly one killed my Khorne lord, not a pretty sight to see..... anyways good job!  Also i can see Demon Mally behind that Russ  ( I am his younger brother by the way) 

• 2 years later...

By the glory of the Emperor I have returned! Wife and I had a kid, so you know, the beautiful little things demand so much time!

Anywho, 8th edition! New Codex! Make your own Bullgryn Bodyguard! (Someone must have seen Helmut at GW) New things are abound and that means it's time to focus a little more on my 40k Humans.

As such, I've just inherited two big tubs of 40k bit and leftovers. It had everything in there from old Empire bits, Genestealers and...

37347557070_f16dd6be68_b.jpg

This is the first of many, many boxes of Guard bits. I've salvaged quite a bit of good stuff from there, this is so far what I've managed to make out of just the first screening of bits. I think I've got enough kits from someone who made like, 8 Vendettas back in the day cause I've got a lot of side gunners to make into something..

23753510708_e2d5185d99_b.jpg

I figured I can use the mortars as icons to make my old squads with heavy weapon teams. Looooove mortars now. Also, I'm so glad I made my SWS all plasma, cause these guys rule. Finished picture of them as follows.

37347554570_ff3a004ffe_b.jpg

Forgive the lighting, my new table doesn't quite filter the light too well yet.

But most importantly, 8th edition has been glorious! Got a 2v2 game in when it first hit and I must save I'm loving all the changes. The new Guard dex hadn't been released yet (Cadian doctrines! Woo!) but I nevertheless enjoyed the taste of what this new edition will have.

37574027142_8fbb408d65_b.jpg

Now, a little fuzzy on the iconography, but my guard were PRETTY sure they were loyalists. I mean, they were fighting a combined force of Imperial Fists who were hanging out with Eldar, so...

37574028452_ce44f81c9b_b.jpg

As it was my first 8th game, I decided to take some fun choices. I did not realize the monsters that Bullgryns had become cause man, they turned a 6 inch board edge choke point into the hill that they and the Fists would die on and they lasted all 5 turns, dying only in the last round. Now that Slabshields can go with Mauls, I might turn them into a dedicated melee Eff you squad.

37574027092_90a5d48568_b.jpg

I'm going to post him every chance I can get away with. Ogryn Bodyguards are a thing now and Helmut Louis Armstrong just dares you to come get some. If they could be a Warlord then my world would have been completed but alas, that'd be too much awesome for one edition. Ran him as Nork this game and he did what he was supposed to. kept the Commissar alive who was the lynchpin to keeping all my dudes from running. (Only lost one guy to moral and my medic, Patches, bandaged him right up the following turn!)

My Castilian Green had dried up (For shame!) so once I get a new bottle this weekend, keep an eye out for updates! For Cadia!

Edited by Idlem

• 3 weeks later...

Grabbed myself the new codex and have been going over everything that's changed. Trying to figure out where in lore my dudes have been since Cadia fell and grappling with how I should model the 256 from here.

The codex has been very helpful with regiment organization. I guess the 256 isn't the sole regiment in my army since regiments are either infantry, armored, etc. Looking at my models and seeing how I've slapped 256 on everything has given me a bit of a puzzle, though I think I've figured out a good "reason" everything says 256 on it. It also lets me start collecting 3rd party minatures in the future that don't look "Cadian". Basically they're stuck on the Imperium Nihilus side of things and, during the Noticis Aeterna, went around planet to planet guided every now and again by some Ulthwé, doing what they could and bolstering their numbers with survivors while trying to figure out how to get back toward Cadia. In the end, the battlegroup has been replenished by so many different surviving Cadian regiments they just all call themselves the "Old 256". Colonel Grey of the Cadian "Old 256" regiment has taken overall command of the battlegroup. (As such, I've been given to update his model again). I figure one day when they release the new BFG I can make up the Navy part of this battlegroup.

Anywho, first painted guard in a long while. This is Colonel Pershing of the 1918th. Since hearing Creed "vanished" from Cadia, he's now a devote believer in the return of "Saint Creed", and preaches his return to the troops even in battle.

24202438248_fbb73bd649_c.jpg

And then, as mentioned, I figured Grey needs a new (WIP) model, mostly cause Commander's can't have shotguns anymore?

24202437628_f687fb3b76_c.jpg38054838881_89f6966fff_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty, think I've just about gotten to a point where I feel satisfied with the new model. Don't know if there's anything else I can think of changing, but I've been wanting to kind of capture that feeling the new lines of models have with the sense of motion. Really wanted to go crazy with the base, as Shadespire has me feeling envious of the sheer detail that larger bases can cover, but alas our poor guardsmen have such tiny disks to play with.

38555024401_ee4be24aa2_c.jpg

Barring any suggestions, he's next to be painted. I have a few of the my new 717th squad I've already done to go with him. Need to figure out the color of his aiguillete, I think since this is all based on English rankings that it'll be gold, however Cadians may do it differently.