The most human legion

cptphoenixck

"Most human" can be taken several different ways from "who has the most humans acting in or with its Astartes"(i.e. Alpha Legion) to "who acts the most human"(i.e. Salamanders) to who acts the most humanely(i.e. I think the Ultramarines would win this bet). I just feel the need to point that out to no one in particular.

I like the discussion I started. The reason I choose to use human instead of 'humane' is that the most 'humane' thing to do given the grim dark universe probably is to commit genocide. By human I mean the most relatable, obviously all astartes are genetically engineered killing machines, but which legions character is the least removed from what we today would see as human?

The reason I also mentioned the iron hands as a human legion is that the whole transhumanist replace everything with metal mindset only seems to come into play in such a big way after Ferrus Manus' death (Re: Angel Exterminatus).

I like the discussion I started. The reason I choose to use human instead of 'humane' is that the most 'humane' thing to do given the grim dark universe probably is to commit genocide. By human I mean the most relatable, obviously all astartes are genetically engineered killing machines, but which legions character is the least removed from what we today would see as human?

The reason I also mentioned the iron hands as a human legion is that the whole transhumanist replace everything with metal mindset only seems to come into play in such a big way after Ferrus Manus' death (Re: Angel Exterminatus).

If you're talking Legions, not Chapters, that are least removed from 30k humanity in their behaviors, I'd actually say something like Alpha Legion or Thousand Sons, and even those are a stretch.  Both those legions are different from the usual bolter slinging killing machines, but neither of them really feel a tight connection to humanity.  It just would be easier to have a nice chat with them about something other than the suble differences between the various armor marks.

If you're talking chapters in 40k, then it's Salamanders by a mile.  They actually live among the people of Nocturne and help them live their lives, I can't think of another chapter that does that.

which legion is the most xenophobic, racist, selfcentered and selfrighteous? that's the most human legion.

Well then, it would be the Iron Hands, wouldn't it?  At least in 40K.  30K, probably not.

Iron Hands are self centered? They emulate to be a process within machine god, a part of the whole. That's like the anti thesis of being self centered. They are probably the least human legion.

Well we should make a difference between Humanitarian and Human. Humanitarians are those who protects humanity, and help the common citizens. Humans are those who behave like humans. For example in the Horus Heresy series the Space Wolves are humans, when they aren't killing and howling. They play games, told stories, drink and eat in great feasts, etc... The Luna Wolves are humans too, at least in what is represent in the novels. There are legions less human and more weapon: Ultramarines, Imperial Fists, Emperor's Children, Death Guard, for example.

Between the humanitarian legions/chapters I obviously go with the Night Lords, Malevolent and World Eaters...No, I don't. I think the Salamanders are the most humanitarian, as the Word Bearers pre-Monarchia. The other legions aren't worried enough about the common citizens, maybe some random guys in one or two legions, they protect the citizens because is their job, not because they really care about them.

I think any discussion of the Humanitarian Legions has to include the XIII, given that the boys in blue are repeatedly noted as not just repairing but improving the infrastructure of the worlds they conquer, and Guilliman is specifically said to be training his Legionaries for governance and municipal work once the war is over (as opposed to say, Russ and Angron, whose thought process probably goes more like "A galaxy without war? How about a galaxy without SUNSHINE? Or OXYGEN? The war's not over, man! The war's NEVER over!")

I think any discussion of the Humanitarian Legions has to include the XIII, given that the boys in blue are repeatedly noted as not just repairing but improving the infrastructure of the worlds they conquer, and Guilliman is specifically said to be training his Legionaries for governance and municipal work once the war is over (as opposed to say, Russ and Angron, whose thought process probably goes more like "A galaxy without war? How about a galaxy without SUNSHINE? Or OXYGEN? The war's not over, man! The war's NEVER over!")

Yes, but the smurfs destroyed Monarchia without remorse, that's something the Salamanders wouldn't do. They will obey obviously, but not without some bad feelings about it.

If the Emperor personally told them to torch a world, I think the Salamanders would do it.

Probably in a similar fashion to how the Ultras behaved at Monarchia, if your hometown has to be blown up by Astartes that's certainly how you want it to go down, vs say, how the Iron Hands or White Scars would go about it.

Fair enough. Hmm, my list would be similar, but there would definitely be some notable differences.

2, Ultramarines

Notable differences

1. Space Wolves are removed from the list because from what I have seen of the 30k incarnation, they aren't exactly the friendly bunch they were in the Ragnar series. They are... I think "pragmatic" is the word I am looking for. Yes, when the 13th Company arrived at a world besieged by Dark Eldar, the Wolves were more than willing to help the human inhabitants. But as soon as the inhabitants refused to join the Imperium, the Wolves wasted no time bringing them to their knees.

Given how UM quite cheerfully slaughtered a capital city of loyal imperial citizens in The First Heretic, I don't think they deserve to be on a list of 'friendly to humans' legions.

Didn't actually read the book did you?

They spent several days evacuating the city before leveling it.  Sounds fairly humanitarian to me.  Certainly a lot more than the city would have gotten from most other Legions.  I think too many people take their aggression transferrence from Mat Ward out on the Ultramarines, whom, it should be noted, only wrote one codex army book for them.  This hatred for Mat Ward leads to a lot of bizarre inventions of the imagination about the Ultramarines, who deserve maybe 1% of the diatribes and criticism spewed about them.  The Emperor told the Ultramarines to destroy Monarchia.  The Space Wolves or World Eaters might have decided that meant exactly what it said. Destroy it, and just razed it to the ground without a second thought.  The Ultramarines made the conscious choice to only destroy the city, and not the people along with it.  And they destroyed the city because they were told to.  It was their duty.  Not a choice.

Ultimately I think the "best" choice for this is the Salamanders.  After that, I think the Ultramarines are a fair choice, given their emphasis on creating stable, productive worlds, and not just conquering as many as possible.  The Realm of Ultramar was supposed to be be a model for human galactic civilization.

Archived