Storm Raven Going Vanilla?

John Rainbow

I don't know if people have seen rumours such as this which suggest a new flyers update is coming and that the Storm Raven is going to be an option for all Space Marines, regardless of Codex.

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2013/01/flyer-supplement-compendium-with.html

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about this. If the Storm Raven does indeed 'go vanilla' it might put one of the final nails in the BA coffin for me - especially if it goes into their Fast Attack slot.

Anyone else have any thoughts or hear any other rumours regarding this?

while it would upset me a little..what difference would it make to my army?...none.

I dont,however,think that they should get bloodstrike missiles or skies of blood. (or blood fuesalage, or blood landing gear or even blood ramps for blood assaults. blood. blood.)

im more worried that the raven will be downpowered or nerfed somehow and then i have opponents who tell me im playing my raven 'wrong'

I don't know about that... I like the fact the SR is mainly a BA, and GK thing, but I will consider this if the namby pamby vanilla marines give us the STC for the Storm Talon, so we take it apart modify it, and make if faster, then call it a Blood Talon.

It makes sense that Vanilla Marines get some sort of flyer, and given that the GK already have the Storm Raven also, I won't be surprised to see the Ultramarines get it. Although I believe the Dark Angels did not get access to the SR in their codex, so who knows?

For myself, it doesn't make a big difference because I don't own any Storm Ravens, they had nothing to do with my love for Blood Angels, and I shall continue to resist buying flyers of any stripe for as long as I can.

Vanilla Marines all ready have a flyer, and that the Storm Talon. So if they were granted the SR, then they would be the only codex yet to have two flyer units available to them. So if they opened up that option to the SM codex, then the FA slot for Storm Talon's should be open to us. I see that as a fair trade. But honestly I'd rather have something like the Dark Talon, or Niphilim fighter in the DA dex than just a plain o' storm talon.

It makes sense that Vanilla Marines get some sort of flyer, and given that the GK already have the Storm Raven also, I won't be surprised to see the Ultramarines get it. Although I believe the Dark Angels did not get access to the SR in their codex, so who knows?

For myself, it doesn't make a big difference because I don't own any Storm Ravens, they had nothing to do with my love for Blood Angels, and I shall continue to resist buying flyers of any stripe for as long as I can.

yes, it would make sense if C:SM got some sort of flyer, like, a storm talon for instance.

i think that you're right about the DA though.  if they didn't give it to them, why give it to anyone else?  and if we shared the SR, do we get ST or nephilim, or SE for that matter now?  why do we give up everything we get then get shafted in return.

also, isn't that the whole point of allies.  they can take a RAS, librarian or reclusiarch with jp and take a SR if they really want it, much better than what we have as options if we wanted to take a storm talon for some reason.

It would be nice if they made a GW plastic version of the Caestus Assault Ram. And gave us that! That thing just screams close combat mayhem. But alas that will never happen. And the Storm Talon kinda bridges the gap from a Land Speeder to Storm Raven. Plus the Storm Raven being the newest money maker for GW of course the share holders would like that in every codex. As long as they don't rob us of the Baal Predator. Even thou the Deimos Pattern Infernus Pred from FW is a clear knock off variant.

I'm not going to be pleased if the Stormraven goes vanilla, its one of a few things we've got that still give BA somewhat of an edge. Its not like they couldn't already steal one by allies (whereas Dark Angels can't loan out scoring Terminators or Bikes), and don't already have their own distinct flyers. If it remains in the Heavy Support slot its a little more palatable, FA would irk me greatly. Same if they got our Strength 8 AP 1 missiles. A shoddy version akin to the Grey Knight SR wouldn't be as egregious.

Cry more, pretty boys. tongue.png

Jokes aside, is it really a big deal? Will your armies change that much?

And why would BA suddenly lose its uniqueness if the SR becomes available to C:SM? After all, weren't the BA unique before stormravens? You guys have a lot going for you!

Fast rhinos, Baal preds, Mephiston, Sanguinary Guard as troops, Jump Pack Command squads, etc...Cheer up lads, it really isn't that much of a problem.

Hell, i'd love to play the BA codex, if it weren't for the red thirst and the BA fluff.

Just kidding...

i don't mind the red thirst.

why are people so bothered? my friend runs a SR in his ultras..its painted ultras..it just uses the allies rules. if vannila marines get ravens they arent going to magically disapear from our dex. we got sternguard and vanguard from their dex. we still have a nice fluffy codex (IMO)

and their codex is still boring.

come on guys.. they can all take a raven anyway with the allies rule.

and as for the space marine smart car?? i would rather they kept it away from us thanks.

Quick question, if Vanilla gets RAvens, can I have a Storm Talon without needing allies?

Would be a bit daft if not, but then this is GW we're talking about.

Lots of 'salt' about these rumours. People claiming the cover is fake, and no mention of it in the current White Dwarf. The Stormraven being available to other Marines is one of these rumours that keeps coming up, but never happens

We'll wait and see I guess - I'd quite like a couple of Storm Talons to be honest

Yeah... Why not. Ignore the fluff to increase sales and just mix up all the codices a little more.

Find me the part in the fluff where it says only the BA use the Storm Raven.

I searched a while ago. BA have them as the AdMech hasnt fully sanctioned their blueprints. This is cold hard fluff.

When the AdMech gives the all clear, they will roll out the SR to all chapters. Which appears to be happening.

This is as fluffy as it gets, and marks progression. The SR kit was too big and nice for BA to have the only claim to it.

I'd imagine the marine version will have weakened missiles.

The BA's arent the only ones to have it - the Grey Knights have it too. That being said, I will believe this rumour when I see it in cold hard print on a page in front of me.

Anything else is just yet more wish-listing internet fanboi-ism...

Yeah... Why not. Ignore the fluff to increase sales and just mix up all the codices a little more.

Find me the part in the fluff where it says only the BA use the Storm Raven.

I searched a while ago. BA have them as the AdMech hasnt fully sanctioned their blueprints. This is cold hard fluff.

When the AdMech gives the all clear, they will roll out the SR to all chapters. Which appears to be happening.

This is as fluffy as it gets, and marks progression. The SR kit was too big and nice for BA to have the only claim to it.

I'd imagine the marine version will have weakened missiles.

Can we call them Vanilla Missiles?

Their Skies of Blood equivalent would be called Vanilla Skies... of course. tongue.png

And "Bloodstrike Missiles" would be "Logistic Missiles" undoubtedly! You fire one you get some pavement, you fire two you get a road, when you fire three you get a bridge and if you fire all of four in one go you get an aquaduct :D

Archived