The Inferno Wardens Chapter (and a contest!)

Ioldanach

First, if it's before February 7, check out Greyall's DIY contest. There are a lot of really neat DIYs being posted there and I'm sure that other Liberites who don't often wander into the PCA forums might be interested in participating.

Segue to the Inferno Wardens chapter. For now I'm going to discuss the process I've been going through in developing them, including my goals. I'm holding off on writing the actual full article until after Greyall's contest is over and the winner is announced.

For those that are familiar with my previous efforts, my process of DIY chapter creation generally starts with some real world challenge. This usually involves taking one of the "sacred cows" of the Liber community - something which Liberites typically recommend against - and making it work. I'm not saying that I actually succeed in making it work by getting everyone to acknowledge that I've overcome the problems of the sacred cow (especially since some members absolutely refuse to budge on some issues :wink: ). My goal with the Avenging Lions was to create a successor of the Black Templars while the Accusers were one of the (un-named) Primogenitors mentioned in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Both of those chapters generated some interesting feedback and debate.

The Inferno Wardens are the result of my challenge to produce a DIY that uses Codex: Space Wolves. This has been one of my back-burner concepts for quite some time, and it was given some momentum when I saw Greyall's challenge to create DIY chapters this weekend. I really hadn't given it much thought before, but the short timespan of Greyall's challenge prompted some quick work over the span of about a day and a half.

So the root idea was to create a chapter that would use Codex: Space Wolves, but which wouldn't be the Space Wolves painted another color. I briefly toyed with the idea of making the chapter a successor of the White Scars, but later dropped that idea (for reasons which I'll explain in a moment).

One of the first things I did was crack open the codex to examine all of the rules, units, and items that are unique to the Space Wolves. I wanted the DIY to be able to use as much as possible so I had to figure out what all of the Space Wolfy items might represent in a chapter that was more closely aligned with the Codex Astartes. Most of the neat stuff has an analogy in Codex: Space Marines, so no problem. There are a few special things that indicate distinctiveness, however. The sagas, Blood Claws, Scouts, and Thunderwolves stood out. In the end, the sagas will represent special oaths/vows that senior officers might swear; while the dual challenge of the Blood Claws and Scouts will be incorporated as an area in which the chapter diverges from the norm. The Thunderwolves will be represented by big hunting cats on the tabletop, though I'm going to sub-optimize and not use Thunderwolf Cavalry. Most other area require only minor tweaks in order to make them work for a mostly "Codex" chapter.

Two things in particular stood out, however. These items combined to inspire incorporation of an entirely new concept that I hadn't previously considered. These were the Wolf Tail Talisman and Runic Armour. What these have turned into is anti-Chaos/anti-psyker elements. What they have become is something along the lines of the Exorcists, but a much weaker version. The concept I'm working with is that the chapter studies secret things concerned with combating Chaos, but it doesn't practice the possession rituals that the Exorcists utilize.

Significantly, I decided that this chapter would be a prelude to the Exorcists - that the chapter's daemon-hunting knowledge/skills were good, but not quite good enough. The radical elements of the Inquisition that later created the Exorcists somehow saw the potential that the Inferno Wardens represented, but also saw some weakness in the Inferno Wardens that couldn't be allowed to continue and/or become known to others (especially those goody-two-shoes puritans). So that put a specific time period on the chapter.

Finally, I had to find a strong rationale for the chapter and its practices. I decided on a role similar to the Astartes Praeses that guard the Eye of Terror, but shifted to another minor warp storm, the Inferno Reach. This also led to the chapter's name. While I looked through the various names of chapters that GW has provided, I finally decided upon a completely new name since that felt more "DIYish" than simply using an existing chapter/warband. The chapter's homeworld of Bastion was picked as a name simply because I like that name. The fortress-monastery name "The Tower" was picked because of the Orison of the Broken Tower within the Exorcists. In my little private WH40K game dimension (the one in which the Inferno Wardens exist), the name of the Exorcists Orison refers to the Inferno Wardens in a way.

Greyall's challenge includes some required elements that shaped what I submitted there, though the full article will actually focus on some slightly different things or provide a lot more information (the brevity required by Greyall provided an interesting challenge that I hope I achieved successfully).

Since Greyall's challenge ends on the 7th, I'll hold off on posting the full (initial) article until after the winner is announced. While I'm skeptical of my chances of "winning," I don't want external efforts (i.e., this topic) to either negatively or positively influence the outcome.

My goal with this discussion is to refine the articles, though the core elements of Space Wolf codex and "junior Exorcists" are firm and fixed. I'm more than happy to improve upon the explanations, but those elements will not change. It always helps to get the viewpoints of others in improving my articles, however.

For those that might be interested, you can see my submission to Greyall's challenge here. That is just an initial work, however, and will be subject to refinement once I start working on the full article.

If you haven't already submitted a DIY chapter/warband for Greyall to consider, I suggest you get hopping!

the Accusers were one of the (un-named) Primogenitors mentioned in the Apocrypha of Skaros.

That's not a sacred cow. Hell, it's explicitly mentioned as the "out" if you want to make a Second Founding successor.

Of course, now the Second Founding apparently has 400 chapters, so it's really kind of moot.

So the root idea was to create a chapter that would use Codex: Space Wolves, but which wouldn't be the Space Wolves painted another color.

I assure you. The Liber WISHES people would do that.

Instead we get Space Wolves successors who are the Space Wolves, but somehow more wolfy. :tongue.:

In any case, I like the chapter so far (both this and what I read in Greyall's thread).

Well, the "sacred cow" I was referring to was the 2nd founding. While some members may be more accepting of that founding being used for DIYs, especially with the more recent retcons and fluff revelations, the "conventional wisdom" at the time I first started developing the Accusers was that the 2nd founding shouldn't be used. The Guide to DIYing still says that, in fact. This was by no means a universal sentiment, but enough people believed it and spread the word that it was accepted by fact by too many people (many of which may not have known any better). The recent shift in sentiment on the 2nd founding has been refreshing. But we're getting off topic - we're supposed to be talking about the Inferno Wardens. :wink:

Something I forgot to mention earlier was the ordeal behind the color scheme. It goes like this...

As far as the basic livery goes, I was actually inspired by the Narnia movies. My daughter really wanted to watch Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader this weekend since we watched The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe last weekend. While I'm usually struck by the notion of using the red lion imagery that Peter (the Magnificent) sports upon his shield, I'd already used lion imagery with the Avenging Lions and I wanted something different. I was, however, inspired by Caspian's combination and arrangement of colors when he was dressed for war. You can see it here. I tweaked it a bit, but it gave me something rather distinctive, I think.

The chapter badge was fairly straightforward. At first I considered a badge that might be found either as a sculpted pad or a decal (and there are many available for download). After awhile, though, I realized that both of those options would result in something either identical to or close to an existing chapter, and that just wouldn't be distinctive enough. So I decided to find something that seemed to fit within the norms of the game universe, but which would be easy to paint freehand. I went through a number of ideas as I debated gene-seed. After dropping the White Scars idea I gave some lengthy consideration to the Ultramarines, in which case I was going to include either the omega or the agemo. I later shifted to an Ultramarines successor before I finally settled upon an unknown gene-seed source. So I shifted to a cruciform design, but shifted from the more common maltese and patee crosses to a variation associated with some of John Blanche's artwork, modifying it by making it fitchee (the lower portion ending in a point). Once I settled upon the inclusion of "wardens" in the chapter name, the shield was added.

I later realized (after posting the submission to Greyall's topic) that these ended up with a chapter that bore some minor similarities with the Storm Wardens (the light blue color, the inclusion of a shield in the chapter badge, and the word "wardens" in the chapter name). I think that the differences are obvious, though, and nobody should be confusing the two chapters.

I'm not dead set on the current badge, but it provides a good starting point.

That's enough rambling for now.

That's enough rambling for now.

But I like your ramblings. They're interesting!

The vision I have in my head of the badge sounds interesting. Would you still be freehanding it or would you go more for water decals? Also the concept of your chapter sounds equally interesting, something I am looking forward to.

The Guide to DIYing still says that, in fact.

And explicitly mentions the seven unaccounted for Ultramarines successors as not being locked down. Why do you think there's no legion of posts in the Accuser's thread complaining that you can't have a Second Founding chapter? :tongue.:

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Not watching it might save her from deeply traumatizing levels of disappointment. :tongue.:

More topically...

I quite like the scheme they have, though I'd recommend a slightly smaller cross (or slightly larger shield) for the chapter symbol. The Stone Hearts' heart turned out to be remarkably easy to paint on just about anything, which was an unlooked-for bonus.

The vision I have in my head of the badge sounds interesting. Would you still be freehanding it or would you go more for water decals?

If I ever get a sculpting project done (for someone else), I'll sculpt some shoulder pads for these guys. Until that happens, though, I'll use the freehand option. My priority of effort there is keeping my promise to a fellow hobbyist, though, so those other shoulder pads come first.

...I'd recommend a slightly smaller cross (or slightly larger shield) for the chapter symbol...

Yes, I think I agree with you (assuming your suggestion is to make the proportions of the cross smaller in relation to the shield). I went one further and adjusted the shape of the shield somewhat, preserving the width at the top further down and making the slope a bit more shallow. Below you can see the first adjustment, as well as how this will look on the SMP image (though I messed up the transparency a bit, so it has a light outline around the badge.

gallery_44777_3498_8942.png

gallery_44777_3498_35361.png

Let me know if you (and that goes for anyone) think I need to make further adjustments.

<<<EDIT>>>

And here's a teaser...

gallery_44777_3498_1051.png

Edited by Brule the Spear-Slayer

I find that color scheme very striking, nice work. I'm also feeling somewhat motivated by your section heading to try something similar for mine.  It'll certainly add a great touch to your finished article.

I appreciate all of the feedback so far. It looks like the contest will be ending soon (Greyall was generous after the B&C was down for a few days). I've begun drafting the article, but will hold off for a bit pending Greyall's announcement of the winners and a decision (based on my ramblings below).

In the meantime, I'm in a bit of a quandary. I began this project with the intent of using the Space Wolves codex as a basis, but I find that there are several things about that codex that I simply do not like. I'm pretty sure that I have a bias for bog-standard Space Marines of the Codex variety, and this appears to be presenting an internal challenge.

The specific things I do not like really come down to the Swiftclaws, Skyclaws, and Long Fangs. I just can't get over "bikers" and "assault squads" that lack the basic profiles I'm used to, and the limited number of models in my "devastators" just doesn't seem to cut it. Most other minor things can be overcome, but these three are presenting a bit of a hurdle for me. I just can't find a rationale for why the Inferno Wardens would give neophytes power armor or jump packs or why the chapter's devastators would be both fewer in number than and more potent than their counterparts in other chapters (and this doesn't mean that I'm saying that no other DIY should do this - it just doesn't work with my concept for the Inferno Wardens).

Now there are some things that I really like about the Space Wolves codex and I want them to be included in the Inferno Wardens. These include veteran scouts, hunting tigers (you might call them Thunderwolves, but I think of them as great big felines:wink: ), and the sagas.

So I'm considering going against one of my basic rules and developing this chapter as a hybrid that requires the allies rules to use to fullest fluff-based effect. If I decide to follow this path I'm going to have to impose some sub-optimization in order to avoid any (false?) perception that I might be gaming things for advantage.

Just for the sake of debate, if I do this, the "Space Wolves" detachment would represent the portion of the detachment that pursues the special aspects of the chapter. The "Space Marines" detachment, meanwhile, would represent the majority of the chapter (including some leaders) that appear to follow the Codex Astartes closely. I'd restrict some things.

So I imagine the "Space Wolves" portion would include Wolf Lords (only in the primary detachment), Wolf Guard Battle Leaders, and Rune Priests. Elites would include Wolf Guard packs (no assigning to squads), dreadnoughts, venerable dreadnoughts, Iron Priests, and Wolf Scouts packs (these are elite scouts - there will be an explanation in the article). Troops will include only the Grey Hunters packs (and I'll have to fiddle with these guys in order to get them as close to "Codex" as possible). Fast attack will only include the Land speeder squadrons. All Space Wolves codex heavy support options would be available, though the Long Fangs will bear some explanation (they'll be considered veterans of the 1st Company specializing in heavy weapons support - go figure).

The "Space Marines" portion will exclude only the special characters and thunderfire cannons. I won't use the Chapter Master/Honour Guard if the "Space Marines" portion is the secondary detachment. I envision Simion Viteazul (if that name doesn't mean anything to you, he was the answer to Greyall's requirement for a famous individual in the DIY submission for the contest) as a captain equipped with a storm bolter and relic blade - nothing really special.

I suppose that it goes without saying that any unit/item/vehicle that wasn't around during the time that the Inferno Wardens existed would be off limits. So no Sternguard (most of the special issue ammunition appears to have come about as a result of the Tyrannic Wars), no Land raider crusaders/redeemers/helios/prometheus, no predator annihilator (created M36), no razorback (created M36), etc. (dates based on IA2).

I'm not completely sold on this idea. I can, after all, mostly create a force that looks like it's "Codex" while still having the special Space Wolves things that work. I probably won't create a large Inferno Wardens army anyways - just a small force that I might use for short games. Regardless of whether I go all out with Codex Space Wolves or if I use the allies option, my Inferno Wardens armies/detachments won't include Lone Wolves, Thunderwolf cavalry, Fenrisian Wolf packs, or the Space Wolves special characters.

This decision will affect content in the article, so I'm going to have to debate it further before I can finish the article. Input is welcome.

<<EDIT>>

And I keep forgetting that the quick reply function adds in html stuff.:wallbash:

Edited by Brule the Spear-Slayer

The specific things I do not like really come down to the Swiftclaws, Skyclaws, and Long Fangs. I just can't get over "bikers" and "assault squads" that lack the basic profiles I'm used to, and the limited number of models in my "devastators" just doesn't seem to cut it. Most other minor things can be overcome, but these three are presenting a bit of a hurdle for me. I just can't find a rationale for why the Inferno Wardens would give neophytes power armor or jump packs or why the chapter's devastators would be both fewer in number than and more potent than their counterparts in other chapters (and this doesn't mean that I'm saying that no other DIY should do this - it just doesn't work with my concept for the Inferno Wardens).

The solution on the Swiftclaws and Skyclaws, IMO, is that they're not neophytes. Their skills are decreased for some other reason (hypnotic trances? Rage? Focus on not giving in to their baser instincts in close combat?)

As to the Long Fangs being better - close combat is inherently a little Khorny. Chapter focuses on ranged combat, at least to some extent - more ranged weapons with their Devastators, and their Devastators are quite well practiced.

The two explanations can even dovetail decently with each other, IMO. The chapter focuses on ranged combat to avoid close contact with the Warp (and the baser emotions hand-to-hand engagement can encourage). The chapter's close combat elements are distracted by the necessity of keeping their minds focused on litanies of protection and purity.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking long and hard about this. While my original concept was based around using the Space Wolves codex, the idea evolved into something different. So I'm going to use that codex to represent some peculiar things about the chapter, with the rest of the army using the vanilla list. A "pure" Space Wolves codex-based DIY will have to come later.:cool.:

I was debating whether to write the chapter article as an Index Astartes or an Imperial Armor format, deciding to go with the former. The Inferno Wardens have been lost to the Imperium (and the details of that will remain unrevealed though the backstory has been developed in my head). The Index Astartes is an earlier version from a time when the Inferno Wardens were active. My reasoning here stems from 1st edition stuff. The Index Astartes article on Medics (now apothecaries) has the following text:

Index Astartes

The great book of the Legiones Astartes is the only complete book for the fighting forces of the Imperium. What follows is an excerpt from a chapter dealing with the history of battlefield medics.

Clearly there are some things there that are now outdated. For example, the article also covers Medics in the Army (now Imperial Guard). What I'm focusing on is the nature of the Index Astartes. My application is that the various Index Astartes articles that have been published are not stand alone articles (i.e., each one is not "an" Index Astartes). Rather, they are part of a larger body of work. For my purposes, I'm treating it like the Encyclopedia Galactica of all things Adeptus Astartes and this article just happens to be from the M.35. In fact, I'll probably try to incorporate information leading to the article that will explicitly mention that it is an older version; or I will indicate that the Inferno Wardens article is now part of the "Lost Chapters" category and that the article is copied from an older version of the Index Astartes contemporary with the chapter.

Now I've been developing this DIY in a much more collaborative fashion with the Liberites compared to my previous two efforts (one of which I was intentionally more intransigent on most things while the other was developed in secret collaboration with one other member and no real feedback being incorporated from others since my postings were expository in nature). So in this one I really do want feedback from you guys (and gals) to help shape the article in terms of how I write it, and perhaps a bit in the content.

Some key things I'd like to run across older and wiser heads:

The "Exorcists-lite" nature of the chapter

This derived from a few things in the Space Wolves codex (runic armor, runic weapons). It led to the Inferno Wardens being stationed on the edge of the Inferno Reach. In this, they are much like the Astartes Praesus and the Maelstrom Warders - guarding an expanse of space from the predations of pirates and renegades and other gribblies within a warp storm. When I wrote the piece in greyall's topic, I intentionally obfuscated things by merely calling them "pirates," but the real threat therein is a sizeable body of Chaos Space Marines. I tried to imply that when I spoke of the Viteazul Crusade and how the Inferno Wardens succeeded in wiping out the pirates, but at the cost of lots of Inferno Wardens Space Marines and a ship - it would take a fairly potent enemy to do that.

So the "Exorcists-lite" piece has two main things that I want to incorporate.

First, the Inferno Wardens accidentally learned that formerly possessed Space Marines might develop strengths against Chaos. This is not on a scale like the Exorcists who possess/exorcise everyone. Instead, only a handful of Inferno Wardens are subjected to this - perhaps a squad or less. These guys will be represented by having the Mark of the Wulfen.

Second is the hunting tigers (i.e., Fenrisian Wolves). My concept here is that these are indigenous to Bastion. A very rare minor mutation in the Inferno Wardens gene-seed allows for a small percentage of battle-brothers in the chapter to bond with one hunting tiger. These bonded pairs are a counter to the possessed/exorcised Inferno Wardens and have the task of killing them should they (re-)succumb to Chaos. These battle-brothers and their tigers are typically accompanied by other members of the chapter (hence the ability to include two squads of Grey Hunters for the complete allied detachment).

In my work so far, Captain Viteazul was one of the possessed/exorcised who had ascended to the rank of captain, and the "lieutenant" in the post (refer to greyall's discussion linked in my first post) was his "minder." While Viteazul ultimately succeeded in his crusade, he also succumbed and was "put down." The nature of this can only be implied in my article, though, since the possession/exorcism is something that is a complete secret within the chapter and known to only a handful of members (much like the Conclave of the Relictors and the Inner Circle of the Unforgiven).

Do those concepts work? If not, what do I need to change?

• 3 months later...

THE INFERNO WARDENS CHAPTER

gallery_44777_3498_8942.png

Founding - M.34

Progenitor Legion - Unknown

Known Descendants - None

Homeworld - Bastion Secundus

Fortress-Monastery - The Tower

HISTORY

The Inferno Wardens Chapter is thought to have been created during the 8th Founding in M34. It was immediately granted the homeworld of Bastion Secundus and was assigned the mission of guarding the region around the Inferno Reach. The chapter is known to have launched at least three crusades into the Inferno Reach, the second of which, the Viteazul Crusade, resulted in the extermination of a major renegade pirate band, but at the cost of one strike cruiser and over two hundred battle-brothers killed (with an unknown number wounded).

The Inferno Wardens disappeared from Imperial records in the eighth century of M35. Subsequent investigation found that Bastion Secundus had been utterly destroyed. The fate of the chapter remains a mystery. Some say that the chapter never returned from a crusade into the Inferno Reach, others that it suffered from the malign influence of the Warp and was wiped out by a combined force of the Inquisition and the Doom Eagles Chapter (though the Doom Eagles have denied ever taking part in such an action). The last known member of the chapter was Brother Bărbat who was serving within the Ordo Xenos Deathwatch. Brother Bărbat was requested by name for a secret mission by an unidentified Inquisitor who was not of the Ordo Xenos. The mission was never described to the watch commander and Brother Bărbat never returned.

APPEARANCE

The livery of the Inferno Wardens was a light blue body; dark metallic shoulders, arms, and legs; and silver helmet and decorations. The chapter badge incorporated a stylized blue cross of unknown provenance upon a silver shield. Standard company and squad affiliation was indicated on the kneepads, with only the captains and senior officers within a company bearing the company insignia (typically a single vertical bar in the company color prescribed in the Codex Astartes). The battle-brothers of the chapter typically decorated their armor with finely scripted writing.

Some members of the chapter appear to have personalized the chapter badge with a pair of horizontal bars above and below the main intersection of the cross, though this does not appear to have been universal and the significance of these bars is unknown.

COMBAT DOCTRINE

The Inferno Wardens largely followed the Codex Astartes in terms of tactics, though the chapter appears to have favored rapidly closing with the enemy and engaging in close assault when possible. Chapter organization was generally in line with the Codex Astartes, diverging in the chapter’s employment of neophytes and scouts. Members of the chapter are also known to have been accompanied into battle on several occasions by the large feline predators native to Bastion Secundus. Association with these beasts appears to have been a special honor within the chapter.

NOTEWORTHY MEMBER

Throughout the history of the Inferno Wardens, the most well-respected battle-brother was Captain Simion Viteazul, who led the crusade that bore his name; and he is reported to have died in the final great battle of that crusade. Captain Viteazul was said to have been immensely strong, even for the Adeptus Astartes; and he was known to have wielded a massive sword into combat. Observations of Captain Viteazul from Imperial Guard regiments that fought alongside the Inferno Wardens during the Maeris Expedition remarked on his war-scarred visage and physically imposing presence. Major Thakin of the Brunekuun Vth Regiment remarked on the great battle tiger that often accompanied one of Captain Viteazul’s lieutenants to councils of war, a practice that appeared to cause no small bit of consternation among those not of the Adeptus Astartes within the councils, but which none dared voice to the Inferno Wardens.

DISTINCTIVE ELEMENTS

It was common practice for the chapter to march into combat chanting the litanies of their warrior cult, the chaplains leading the chants with the battle-brothers responding. Battle brothers would often swear oaths before battles and affix these oaths to their armor via wax seals. Senior members of the Inferno Wardens often augmented their armor with chained books and scrolls. Those among the most senior ranks of the chapter appear to have born wards upon their armor, presumably written by the battle-psykers within the chapter’s extensive Librarium.

The image I have in mind for this chapter is a cross between Arthurian knights, the crusading knights portrayed in Kingdom of Heaven, and a wee bit of the occult (sort of a cross between Katherine Kurtz's Adept and Templar stories and the Malleus Maleficarum). There's probably a dash of the more fantastical tales of Roland thrown in there, too.

The hunting tigers of the chapter resemble smilodons, but have darker (brown and black) fur patterns more closely resembling racoons (they are nocturnal hunters from a temperate forest environment). Their large canines are not nearly as large as the saber-toothed cat, not extending below the bottom of the jaw line.

gallery_44777_3498_116218.png

Just putting this here so I can print all of the material in one place as I complete the Index Astartes article. Nothing to see ... move along ...