proper way to paint and highlight tanks

Hello all! What is the proper way to paint and highlight Space Marine Tanks? I mean above and beyond the primer and basecoats. Here are a few examples of how I would like to paint some of my tank projects coming up.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2012/10/tutorial-how-to-paint-ultramarine.html

I have been a model hobbyist for quite some time but have very little knowledge of lighting effects and highlights and hadn't really tried any of it until I got into this hobby. I really like the way both of these guys in the examples I posted have painted their tanks.. So.. what are the proper techniques when it comes to armor or panel high lighting (which is what I guess they are doing) compared to edge highlighting which is the only high lighting method I know and have done so far. Building up layers seems pretty straight forward.. however any recommendations from any of you guys that consider yourselves particularly awesome at painting will be much appreciated. I am a space wolves player but I'll be starting some blood angels soon so tips on those different color schemes would be great as well. I can tell you up from that for the wolves I have been using Army Painter's 'wolf grey' for my layer and main color.

I don't think there is a 'proper' way as different people use different techniques. I haven't got the skills or tools to airbrush/weather like the Vindicator above, although the video is pretty self explanatory. I use a basecoat and then lightly drybush over the whole tank, and then weather to suit. Here is one of mine using basic techniques:-

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/8-4.jpg

Mechrite Red, Drybrushed Blood Red the Blazing Orange (Orange was very light so as not to take over). Chips aplied with fine brush or sponge, mud was just applied haphazardly around the tracks and drybrushed lighter tones.

EDIT - big pic sorry!

You could prime your tanks in black, then drybrush grey on the panels using a real big drybrush on the uppermost surfaces, then apply your basecoat colours in a couple of thin layers which should give you natural looking gradiation in the colour. Then a couple of edge highlights in your chosen highlight colour and you are good to go as far as highlights I reckon. If your tanks are lighter colours, you could prime grey, then drybrush white. If you've got or are going to get an airbrush (highly recommended, they're sweet wub.png ) that Buypainted dude also has vids on pre-highlighting with one.

tanks rely more on shading than highlights, your best bet is to do a VERY light drybrush over the tank with a highlight colour then shade the recesses to add some depth.. do detail work then weather to taste.

Archived