++ From the Abyss - A Word Bearers Log ++

@Hyaenidae- Thanks, brother. Your approval is always greatly appreciated. Glad you like her :)

@Augustus- the leg took a bit of work but aside from making a tutorial, which would have to wait until I get another Knight, all I can really say is cut at the joints. :P

@helter- that is indeed a Manticore head.for fluff purposes, that is a Xandarian Lion head, taken as a trophy prize from the corpsea of a Fallen Imperial Knight of House Targhost.

Its not complete, but I've compiled a basic rough notes list of my Knight House. I'll have a completed documentation once my Chapter rework is ready. Let me know your thoughts please.

HOUSE LE'LEUX

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/family-crests_2227_364900351_zps54a5c5e7.jpg

"Honour is a Luxury. Very few can afford it."

- Alexander Michael Leleux, First of His Name, M.3

They revile us. They call us cowards and traitors, honourless dogs that feed on the weak when we cannot fight like 'true warriors'. They are no more than hypocrites. The foundation of the Knight Orders speak of humbleness and valor, yet there is no valor to be gained in what we do. We hold no courage. That is a right only deserved to the fools who cling to their lasrifles and shout their defiance as they stand against us, the men and women who die with their feet in the mud as they are torn apart my the monstrosities of the Galaxy. We of the Knight Houses know nothing of this. We march within the safety of our Demi-God Machines as we butcher infantry as though they were insect. We wield the most powerful weapons of mankind save those of the great War God Titans themselves and the vast vessels that tear worlds apart from orbit. Our purpose is to slaughter the helpless and lay upon the great beasts and machines of our enemies when mortal men die in the hundreds to do what we can yet only if our 'honour' allows it. The only tenants of the Knight Houses are vanity and arrogance. Why should I choose to lie about what I am?

- Allexia Michelle Le'Leux XXXVIII, Warden of House Le'Leux, M.38

Overview
In the History of the Imperium, there are few Knight Houses held with more contempt than House Le'Leux, a stain upon the very name of the Knight Orders since the earliest days of recorded Imperial History. Upon their cold and remorseless forest world of Ibrea, House Le'Leux have reigned as the supreme hierarchy of the planet since before the Dark Age of Technology. Their history is hazy at best, yet the oldest documented record heralds back to the third Millenia, the first of his house's name though records indicate he was little more than a poet and a philosopher. The root of the house name comes from archaic Franc, long before the record millennial age. Linguistics and Sisters of the Order Dialogous believe that the word orginates to Le'Loup or rather, 'The Wolf', a more guttural term for one of ill-intent or rather one who is untrustworthy. If this is true then perhaps a name truly does make a man for the blood of traitors runs deep within the shamed House.

When the House Le'Leux was brought into the fold of the Imperium in the early stages of the Great Crusade, it was done without bloodshed, but rather a cold and calculated bargain that ensured the autonomy of the House and not only the ensured sovereignty of its home world but also the prosperity of it by the means of mercantile routes across the expanse of the ever-growing Imperium. When they took to the battlefield for the first time, a distinction was quickly made, for the vassals of House Le'Leux fought without the edicts that many of their kin did. The Demi-God Machines trampled upon enemy ground forces, weighing into the masses with volatile melta weaponry and incinerating xenos and rebel alike with impunity. When the task of slaying a great beast of monolithic machine construct, the Knights did so in packs, encircling and crippling the enemy before eventually ending it in the most brutal ways imaginable. Ruthless tactics of ambush and butchery were employed without restraint, a trait that quickly earned the scorn of their fellow Knight houses yet quickly earned the attention of another eye.

To the Word Bearers they found a kindred spirit, one that knew the solemn duty of war and complimented their cutthroat methods. Before long House Le'Leux served almost exclusively with the Word Bearers while some served alongside the Sons of Horus whom reveled in their brutality, bearing their emblem proudly and striding into battle with them, always going for the throat before burning and dismembering the body.

When the Horus Heresy came, House Le'Leux knelt before the Warmaster without hesitation, quick to turn their warmachines upon the Imperium they had helped build up. This was a task they proved to excel in for they viciously abused the honour that their enemies clung to, slaughtering Legionaries with childish ease and outnumbered and gutted their fellow Knights with glee. Yet of course this was never to last for history dictates that the Warmaster Horus was slain by his Father and the back of the traitorous rebellion was broken. It came as a surprise to many that House Le'Leux was so quick to evoke for the Emperor's forgiveness. None can say exactly why they did this, or what lead them to betray the traitor legions they had served for so long with, but the Warden of the House, Lord Alexandar Le'Leux XXII called for terms of their own surrender or he would detonate the thermonuclear core beneath the Knight Fortress and destroy the entire planet that still held a key place in the mercantile route of Imperial supplies to the Western Fringe.

The Imperium agreed to the terms but at a hefty cost, for the House leaders were put to the sword, their homeworld taken from them, and the remaining Knights of House Le'Leux were given the grim edict of a thousand year penance alongside the Legions they once butchered to continue the hunt for their once fellow traitors. Yet despite all the odds, the House endured through the most grizzly of trials. They would not see the vast ocean of spiring tower forests or the snowy mountains of Ibrea until late in the 32nd Millenia, yet though their penance was complete, the stain left by their sin would endure, and they would never be accepted once more as equals.

It was not until the early stages of M.38 that this traitorous blood would reemerge as Alexandre Michael Le'leux XXXVI lead his House into open rebellion and then, with their home world in ashes, fled with his House into the Gate of Fire deep in the Nightmare Rifts where they would be seen again marching beside the Chapter of the Ruined King well into the present year.

Coat of Arms and Heraldry
Though in doctrine and ideology House Le'Leux may be completely alien to their kindred, they are still no less a House of the Noble Knight Orders. At their base, the primary color of the House is a deep royal blue, the secondary colors being that of black and silver with white as a tertiary color yet only used for personal heraldry. The official Coat of Arms for the Hose is that of the three Alabaster Towers, the ancient and magnificent fortresses built into the very bulwark of Ibrea's vast mountain range along the main continent. These fortresses dated back to before the Dark Age of technology and remained as a proud masterpiece of engineering until the early years of the 38th millennium when Ibrea was completely purged in the fires of the Imperium's wrath. Unofficially however, the common symbol of the House is that of the wolf, the animal used to symbolize intellect and vicious strength as opposed to the noble savagery it means to the Space Wolves of Fenris. In actuality, there are no wolves on Ibrea, nor are any creatures that remotely resemble their likeness. The Wolf was but a creature of legend to the people of Ibrea, and though some have claimed to see them, there has never been and confirmation of these claims.

Rituals
Like all orders, House Le'Leux has its own share of rituals, most of which date back long before the Horus Heresy. in the Inner sanctums of the Alabaster towers, a single phrase is often repeated, inscribed beneath the House's heraldry. "Honour is a Luxury." These are the words of a poet dating back to the early years of the 3rd Millennium, the man who is described as 'First of his Name' by those within the order. It customary for those who lead to as Warden of the House to take his name, be the name taken at birth or at oath. Most often the name takes some small deviation, weighing on the Warden's personal tastes or gender, but each one still stands true to the core of the name and thus takes the numeration as successor to the name.

While there are many minor rituals and rites within the order's culture, there is but one that all vassals of the House Le'Leux must adhere to and that is the union of flesh and blade. To the vassals of the House, Knights are both a monster and a tool. They do not adhere to the ideals of glorifying their warmachines nor their deeds as some do. However, it is the view of the House that if a vassal is to use the beasts that are Knights to kill across the battlefield, then they must do so as an extension of their own will. In this, every vassal of the house has their left arm amputated between the shoulder and the elbow. The sump is fitted with neuro-link cables and a unique MIU implant that allows the vassal to move their Reaper Chainsword directly as though it were their own arm. Once the links have been implanted, the vassals are fitted with detachable bionic arms to replace the lost limbs, able to be removed if necessary when the Vassal is ready to head into war. The only exception of this ritual is that of the House Warden for all Wardens of the House have their right arm amputated instead.

As noted before, there are a host of other rituals that have lasted through the millennium or have been adopted over time. One such ritual is that of dipping the bleached skulls of particularly note-worth skulls in molten gold to be displayed as a trophy.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20141123_004706_zps46364c81.jpg

Knight Armours
The Machine Spirit of a Knight is an indomitable will, a proud and noble thing. Yet the Machine Spirits that dwell within the Knights of House Le'Leux make a mockery of such a notion. They are bestial and overbearing things, seeking to constantly dominate their vassals and display their arrogance in the simple cold superiority they hold over the weakness of man. There is a savage glee in the carnage they inflict. an almost feline purr in the engine as it vaporizes a dozen warriors to ashes or plasters the hull with fresh blood. Where the vassals of the House are known to be cold, humorless men and women, their machines display a stark contrast, a need to survive against such a bestial machine. The great bulk of the House's armour is formed of Knight Errants, small and sleek in design that caters well to their ambush tactics. There are few other variants within the House however there is one that is prized above all other. This is the single suit of Cerastus pattern, a Knight Acheron granted the name "The Singing Maiden". The Singing Maiden is the Armour reserved for the Warden of the House, and only those of a steel will are granted the honour and curse of piloting the Maiden for she is a cruel and relentless beast that has consumed the minds of many a previous Wardens.

Edited by Noctus Cornix

I AM! I read your fluff this afternoon (I'm at home with the flu right now so I have a lot of time to read) and thought it was a lot of fun to read. I love how Alexander is the staple name and they have this arm-amputation ritual imbred so they're even more proficient with the chainsword. I'm interested to read more on how you fluff out the way the LeLeux order gets its provisions now that it's basically excommunicate traitoris AGAIN.

Also - and this is me being a little bit of a fluff nazi: How do you explain they trace their ancestry back to the fricking 3d millenium while all of humankind has no idea what happened before say the 15th? Or is it like only the name, like they know about Shakespeare and Virgil. 

MOAR!

Sorry, I have been super busy today, but the fluff is very good.

I like the legends of the wolf bit.

I am somewhat worried about the color scheme clashing with or complementing your main army scheme though.

Formatting and similar critique:

A couple areas physically are strange to read. Additionally, the "First of his name"/poet connection probably doesn't need to be repeated the second time, you can just refer to him as the "First of his name."

I AM! I read your fluff this afternoon (I'm at home with the flu right now so I have a lot of time to read) and thought it was a lot of fun to read. I love how Alexander is the staple name and they have this arm-amputation ritual imbred so they're even more proficient with the chainsword. I'm interested to read more on how you fluff out the way the LeLeux order gets its provisions now that it's basically excommunicate traitoris AGAIN.

Also - and this is me being a little bit of a fluff nazi: How do you explain they trace their ancestry back to the fricking 3d millenium while all of humankind has no idea what happened before say the 15th? Or is it like only the name, like they know about Shakespeare and Virgil. 

MOAR!

Glad you like it so far, Augustus! I've always been fascinated with the concept of a name's legacy, but I've never cared for the idea of it being restricted by simple gender. For whatever reason, names have always been important to me, especially my name and I wanted to translate that into my army... So I made my own name the focal point of my Knight House. Completely sad and pathetic, I know.

As for the reason as to why they know their ancestry. Well to put it simply they have a single copy of a book dated back to the early 3rd millennium, one by the title of "The Pearl." signed by the author who was 'First of His Name.' I have a personal love of the ancient text 'Pearl' written by the Pearl Poet and had always told myself that if I wrote a philosophical book, I would name it that. Who knows, maybe I'll actually write it one day. 

Sorry, I have been super busy today, but the fluff is very good.

I like the legends of the wolf bit.

I am somewhat worried about the color scheme clashing with or complementing your main army scheme though.

Formatting and similar critique:

A couple areas physically are strange to read. Additionally, the "First of his name"/poet connection probably doesn't need to be repeated the second time, you can just refer to him as the "First of his name."

Thanks man, appreciate that you could take the time for me. Honestly I picked a vastly different color scheme from that of my Word Bearers because I wanted them to clash. I never really liked the idea of Knights, Titans or Daemon Engines being painted the same color as the Chaos Space Marine force. These are their own organizations and forces the join together for a common goal, but I rarely see complete subjugation of one over the other.

I never really liked the idea of Knights, Titans or Daemon Engines being painted the same color as the Chaos Space Marine force. These are their own organizations and forces the join together for a common goal, but I rarely see complete subjugation of one over the other.

Agree with this sentiment so strongly. I remember reading a recent(ish) white dwarf's article about allies and attached knights, and how the staff were championing cohesive paint schemes between the two factions. It really struck me as unimaginative in a universe with such huge breadth. And you can look sexy on the table top with different schemes -- I think that's something Noctus' knight will be proving when he fields it alongside his Word Bearers.

I never really liked the idea of Knights, Titans or Daemon Engines being painted the same color as the Chaos Space Marine force. These are their own organizations and forces the join together for a common goal, but I rarely see complete subjugation of one over the other.

Agree with this sentiment so strongly. I remember reading a recent(ish) white dwarf's article about allies and attached knights, and how the staff were championing cohesive paint schemes between the two factions. It really struck me as unimaginative in a universe with such huge breadth. And you can look sexy on the table top with different schemes -- I think that's something Noctus' knight will be proving when he fields it alongside his Word Bearers.

Honestly, its one of the many things that draws me towards Chaos. I love diversity. Variety is the spice of life. In most armies you have a cohesive color scheme, yet in Chaos you are not bound by this unspoken law. Every Chaos Space marine, every warrior and even every cultist has a story of their own to tell. They each come from their unique backgrounds. Some are in squads, companies, or even batallions, but over centuries they draw in others from other backgrounds. They may not get along or even trust one another, but they see a common goal in mind and it draws them forwards as a unifying force. Brothers and sisters not bound by blood or color, but by purpose and dreams. 

While the Word Bearers of the Ruined King may be the bulk of my force, they will by no means be the only ones. The Knights, Titans, Cultists, and Traitor Guard will all follow their own color patterns and variation, and then within the forces of the Astartes you will see squads and individuals from other legions and Chapters that have flocked to the service of the King but do not bow in subjugation for it is not required of them.

Edited by noctus cornix

Definitely agreed on the Chaos front, and as far as loyalists go, Knights are a perfect opportunity to inject some of that variation into one's force which traditionally adhere to strict, force encompassing colors. The system of heraldry allows for some really creative schemes through stories, and each time I see a Knight taking on more than a few of the colors of its allies, I kind of feel like the fear to leave one's comfort zone sort of took over. At any rate, the ability to be bold and fearless is what I come to this thread for. Modeling to paint, you can tell you're not afraid to risk models in an attempt to innovate and push the hobby, which is an ethos I definitely share. :)

Just finished the fluff bit!

It makes me happy to see someone put so much time and effort into support material for their models. Plus it gives me tons of great reading material when I'm resting between sets at the gym. Thanks Noctus! :D

I'll take that. :D

Question for you guys. So I've been trying to think of ideas in how to paint my traitor guard. I'm thinking I'd like to paint their fatigues grey, a symbol of the same colors servants wore back in the great Crusade. Other than that, I just know that I don't really want red.

Edited by noctus cornix