+++E Tenebrae Lux II - Ultramarines Strategium+++

=][= ETL II IS OFFICIALLY OVER =][=

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/ETL_2013_Poster_00.jpg

+++ NO COMPLETIONS WILL BE REGISTERED PAST THIS POINT +++

Brave brothers and sisters, it’s time to remove your Oath of Moment for the moment has passed. It will soon be replaced with either the Custos Fidei or the dreaded Oath Breaker badge! Thank you all for participating - it's been a fantastic ride !

In the next couple of days I'll be compiling the data of the ETL II, cross-checking everything making sure there are no loose ends. During that time, you are welcome to post here anything that you feel requires my attention, be that an old completion that I did not explicitly acknowledge or anything else you may like to comment on. I will NOT accept any more completions though. None whatsoever!

Come this weekend, (most likely Saturday, August 19th) a full detailed report will be released and all the details of the ETL will be analyzed and be open for discussion. All participants will be awarded their badges and the faction to become ETL II Champion, the Primus Inter Pares, will be officially announced. So until then keep your breath for who know what really happened?

+++THE DOORS OF ETL II ARE CLOSED FOREVER+++

gallery_27176_8461_79162.jpg

Well It would've been nice to see more Dark Angels fail their vows exspecially the guy who didn't post a pic of completed models and then time expired. He had 3k worth of stuff....lol.  I am really happy with this years turnout, whatever happens I am proud of the Ultra's!  Courage and Honor to all!

Captain Ixion of the 7th, Chief Victualler, Head Chef, Scourge of Supermarkets, Bearer of the artifact Guilliman's Most Holy Shopping List.

gallery_61651_8231_31360.jpg

Back shot to show that I didn't "McVey" it.

gallery_61651_8231_30400.jpg

So, vow complete.

Is it me or does this guy kind of look like an Ultramarine version of Captain Semper?

Captain Ixion of the 7th, Chief Victualler, Head Chef, Scourge of Supermarkets, Bearer of the artifact Guilliman's Most Holy Shopping List.

gallery_61651_8231_31360.jpg

Back shot to show that I didn't "McVey" it.

gallery_61651_8231_30400.jpg

So, vow complete.

Is it me or does this guy kind of look like an Ultramarine version of Captain Semper?

You know, when I came to paint the hair colour I wanted to go with something other than the usual black/brown. Although I didn't originally start painting him blonde in imitation of the good Captain, the thought "Semper after an accident with some hair clippers" did cross my mind more than once.

Of course, that thought was immediately followed by "heh, and he's joined a real man's Chapter to boot!".

I have failed the Primarch, the XIIIth, and all of you, brothers. 

I have been swamped with work, and I am studying for further certifications to teach aquatic fitness classes. I simply did not have the time to complete my vow. 

While I have no completed models to further my vow, I have made some progress. I got a new airbrush in the mail a few weeks ago, and I have been doing lots of experimenting with the Vallejo line of paints. My vow consisted in part of one tactical squad, and what I have been doing is painting each one up a little different from the others. I am still in unfamiliar waters with Vallejo, and with airbrushing in general, so I have yet to land that perfect *blue* mixture that I can see so clearly in my mind. A deep, cobalt blue that while not glossy, has a slight element of shine to it, but I also want to be able to have brighter highlights that dont clash too much with the deep, cobalt blue. Anyway, I have not yet decided if any of the marines I sprayed represent That blue, which pretty much sums up the progress of my vow.

As a son of Guilliman, allbeit a rather humbled one, in analyzing my failure, I realize that I simply did not budget my time in an effective enough manner. I still question whether or not I had enough time at all (I am inclined to think yes, several months is enough to complete 22 models) but had I allotted time each day to chip away at the project, I ma have had more success. Instead, I only really got to work when I knew I had a good chunk of the day open, and that was simply not a common enough thing. 

I hope this competition goes on again next year, my shame must be expunged. 

Don't worry about it Karden. Education is way more important than painting some models.

The event will be happening next year and you will have your chance to expunge any stain on the XIIIs record :).

In the mean time, post up what your doing and keep it updated, I for one would love to see how your air brushing is turning out. My next project is to get an airbrush set up for myself so that I can start putting some paint on vehicles without taking a million years to do one coat.

I still question whether or not I had enough time at all (I am inclined to think yes, several months is enough to complete 22 models) but had I allotted time each day to chip away at the project, I ma have had more success. Instead,  

I got 8 models completed over the course of the whole ETL and the last one was done the night before the ETL closed! 

I think it all comes down to what standard you are happy with as "finished" This isnt a moan (as I know that we could do the same) but across the other chapters there are some vowed that are literally base coated in the core colours and then some that have been finished to a really high standard of detail. Im sure I could knock out a squad in a week if I airbrushed them and then painted the key base colours but thats just not me. 

In short, dont beat yourself up over it. In honesty if I hadnt of completed my first vow mine would probably have slipped too.

Ultimately, this contest is about two things:

Getting Frater to paint models, to wash away Painting block (which is something that happens to me a lot) and see Frater add more models to their armies

Having fun.

Whilst the competitive element is inevitable (and encouraged), those two things are the most important part of ETL. We might have lost, we may have won, but I look at the work of everyone who took part, regardless of which faction they belong to and I'm impressed, as I was last year. I look at my own models and I'm happy as I'd never have painted half a Company of Marines, two vehicles, and four HQ's to a new personal best.

In that regard I've definitely won. And to me, that is what's important.

Karden - I look forward to seeing your participation next year smile.png

I still question whether or not I had enough time at all (I am inclined to think yes, several months is enough to complete 22 models) but had I allotted time each day to chip away at the project, I ma have had more success. Instead,  

I got 8 models completed over the course of the whole ETL and the last one was done the night before the ETL closed! 

I think it all comes down to what standard you are happy with as "finished" This isnt a moan (as I know that we could do the same) but across the other chapters there are some vowed that are literally base coated in the core colours and then some that have been finished to a really high standard of detail. Im sure I could knock out a squad in a week if I airbrushed them and then painted the key base colours but thats just not me. 

In short, dont beat yourself up over it. In honesty if I hadnt of completed my first vow mine would probably have slipped too.

Yeh, if I did that I could paint a company or two within the time limit of ETL, including all their vehicles. Air brush, wash to shade, paint on some details, done. But like RIch I wouldn't be being true to myself and the way I paint. I'd rather loose with some models i'm proud of than win with a pile of stuff that i'll just end up repainting over the next year.

Quantity doesn't have to matter, what matters is that your happy with the results.

Im sorry to fail my primarch, my chapter and my legion. But I will bear the badge of shame with my head high, for next year I shall redeem my soul in the eyes of our immortal Emperor.

The main reason is I only finishe half the vow, the dreadnought, but I simply could not get inspired to paint the tactical squad.

Great job UMs, you served the Codex faction faithfully and you should be rightly proud! I really have to comment on your fantastic work that was of the highest standard!

Now for all those who had Terminators as part of your vow, you are invited to post them in the Hobbyist Showcase discussion that is part of the Indomitus Project. It can become an awesome collection of Terminator images of the entire B&C community!

Archived