The Imperfect - Heresy Era Loyalist Emperor’s Children

Laborious

Great work here fella.

Your purple is really nice. What's the recipe?

I'm finding auto cannons a bugger tbh as I got one and I paint everything seperatly but I did a dry fit and it's such a bugger.

Its my work computer. If someone posts pictures on B&C galleries I can see them no problem. If they post just about anywhere else, I get a box with a red x and the picture name.

Ah, fair enough. Never tried uploading stuff directly to the B&C. Anyone else have this problem too?

Love the fluff, the mini's and you're painting style

Cheers,

Stepper

Thank you very much. smile.png

Great work here fella.

Your purple is really nice. What's the recipe?

I'm finding auto cannons a bugger tbh as I got one and I paint everything seperatly but I did a dry fit and it's such a bugger.

Yeah, I leave backpacks, shoulder pads, heads and weapons off too. Having finished this squad I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should have done for these guys. They were a real pain to put together when I was finished, as evidenced by the fact that the ammo feeds on a few of them aren't quite flush. I heated them to reposition them for the posing and between doing that back in August and finishing painting them they'd obviously warped back slightly. ohmy.png However, the two "normal" marines worked out quite well. So well in fact they aren't actually glued - the gun and backpacks are holding each other firmly in place! tongue.png

As for the purple recipe, mate, it is as follows:

Basecoat - Vallejo Game Colour Heavy Violet

Wash recesses - Army Painter Dark Tone

Layer 1 - 50/50 mix of VGC Heavy Violet & VGC Hexed Lichen

Layer 2 - Pure Hexed Lichen

Highlight - 50/50 mix Hexed Lichen and VGC Warlord Purple

Final Highlight - Warlord Purple

Quite embarrassed to say this but brother god I wish your talent was mine :/

I can't produce quality half as good as this, keep it up laborious your imperfect are quite perfect

This.....

Your loyalist Emperors Children are welcome on the walls of the Emperors palace next to my fists any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

I can't produce quality half as good as this, keep it up laborious your imperfect are quite perfect

Thanks, mate, but if it makes you feel better we all have things we envy in others. It's natural for humans to not be content with what they have. smile.png For instance, I would love to be able to produce my models as quickly and yet of as good a quality as you do. Your painting has improved visibly since I've been a member here, and yet your output hasn't slowed accordingly. Cleaning, assembling and painting takes far too long for me. Even basecoating stuff takes an age with me, so when people say, "that took me an hour and a half" I just scratch my head. Even working with the wrong hand at the moment your output is still far outstripping mine! Paint slower, damnit! tongue.png

Minos has got my mind racing. Thank you Laborious!

Just remember to check under the bed for gribblies before bedtime! msn-wink.gif

This.....

Your loyalist Emperors Children are welcome on the walls of the Emperors palace next to my fists any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Thanks very much, mate. If your Fist's call, my Children shall answer. Those who aren't dead by the Seige of Terra at any rate. Which will probably be all of them, given where they are. Except Awl-Sum, of course! He'll still be alive. He's like the Chuck Norris of the Children.

"I tried death, once. Didn't like it." laugh.png

Like others have said your models, and the background you have written, are amazing. I will be stealing some ideas for my Rotary cannon support squads.

Thanks, mate. There's no such thing as "stealing" in this hobby of ours, just mutual inspiration. smile.png

Day 37

"Here they come!"

Cursing softly under his breath, Dreer slammed a fresh magazine into his bolter and cocked the weapon, then came up firing. Growling wordlessly, he squeezed the trigger; he felt the weapon buck ever so slightly in his hands before his suit's actuators kicked in and absorbed the rest of the recoil. All around him the rubble erupted with gunfire as his fellow Death Guard also opened fire at the onrushing Children. Traitors fell, torn apart by the vicious hail.

But not nearly enough.

As the enemy came within range, Bors and Argan fired their flamers. Thick tongues of flame licked out from the weapons, sweeping the line from side to side. Where they touched the enemy men instantly became blazing, shrieking torches.

But still it wasn't enough.

The gaps that had appeared in the enemy lines were all too quickly refilled, and even as they ran they began to return fire. All around him, Dreer's men began to fall.

As the enemy closed the final few yards, Dreer's bolter finally ran dry. Snarling behind his helm's visor, he threw the weapon aside and drew his knife. Swearing he would sell his life dearly, he prepared to die.

Instead, the enemy did.

The traitors, on the brink of victory, began to explode. There was no other word for it. Men who were there one moment ceased to be in the next as heavy rounds tore into them, pulping adamantium and flesh alike with brutal indifference. Men with severed limbs rolled helplessly on the ground as bright plumes of arterial blood spurted from the gaping wounds, or crawled feebly through their own spilled entrails.

Turning in shock at his sudden deliverance, Dreer grunted with confusion when he saw the source. Disbelieving, he dialed up his suit's optics to maximum magnification.

Another squad of Children had outflanked his Death Guard's position to their right, firing down into the brawl from the vantage of a nearby tower block. But these men were clearly no traitors. Equally clear was that whatever bonds of brotherhood had once existed between the two groups were irrevocably shattered; even as the enemy broke and ran the hail of fire pursued them, scything them down mercilessly.

His part in the fight suddenly, miraculously over, Dreer watched the newcomers work with admiration. They handled their heavy autocannons with a deftness he would have thought beyond the unwieldy weapons. Each of them was firing in short, controlled bursts with not a single shot going to waste. Their discipline was extraordinary.

All but one of them, at any rate.

The last of them - a wild-haired, wild-eyed man with coarse features most unlike the patricians of the Third - fired his weapon with reckless abandon, laughing as he did so. But if anything, his marksmanship was even better than his compatriots; even as Dreer looked on in amazement he saw a group of four astartes cut down as they fled; each man felled with meticulous precision.

As the last traitor died, so too did the sound of gunfire. The sudden silence was jarring.

Absent-mindedly stooping to retrieve his bolter, Dreer beckoned to his surviving men and together they slowly moved amongst the fallen, checking for wounded; their own were given what assistance they could offer, the enemy were dispatched without ceremony.

It was only when the search was completed and the last of the wounded was carried into shelter that Dreer realised something astonishing. He had tended to each and every one of his men, dead or alive, and had seen the nature of their wounds. Some had been torn up by bolter rounds or been rent by shrapnel; others still had been gutted by chainswords as the fight descended into a one-sided melee. But not a single one appeared to have been hit during the enfilade. Not once.

"Impossible", muttered Dreer.

The crunching sounds of footsteps made him turn in time to see his rescuers approaching.

"Not Impossible." said the man in their lead, clad in ornate plate and the crested-helmet of a sergeant. A pause. "Just perfect."

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y429/Laborious101/Emperors%20Children/P1000367_zpsd069a17d.jpg~original

Devastator Squad Awl, XIV Company, XIX Millenial, Emperor's Children.

Well brother my next project may be a nurgle death guard inspired project slowly producing an army key word slowly ;)

But soon I'll get my WE to a stage where I'll stop for a while then come back later on.

You should be proud if your collection they are all individual charismatic pieces that inspire me :D

Wow, thanks so much guys. I'm really stunned at the responses today. ohmy.png

Well brother my next project may be a nurgle death guard inspired project slowly producing an army key word slowly

But soon I'll get my WE to a stage where I'll stop for a while then come back later on.

You should be proud if your collection they are all individual charismatic pieces that inspire me

Hehe, for Jaspcat there can never be such a thing as too many marines! tongue.png I would really like to see you tackle a more intimate, detailed project, mate. You clearly have a passion for infusing a narrative into your models already, even with the volume of work you produce, so I think a more focussed project that you can really sink your teeth into would be both incredibly rewarding for you to undertake and for us to follow. smile.png

This is an inspiring thread - period!

Well done Laborious, your 19th is coming along VERY nicely!

Cheers, mate. I'm eagerly anticipating the next instalment on your own project, so get cracking! smile.png

that sentence in reply is just perfe...

son of a

That last line of the latest fluff..... That line alone just made me want to start a EC Loyalist army.

Cheers, guys. smile.png That line was the nucleus for the story when I was thinking a few weeks ago of what to accompany the finished squad with; I didn't really have any set ideas on how to get there at the time, I just thought it was a suitably badass and Emperor's Childreny thing for him to say. smile.png

Not...Enough... Likes... Allowed....

One is more than enough, mate, and greatly received. smile.png

I've been lurking around this thread for a while now whistlingW.gif , but seriously this thread is absolutely amazing as your painting skills are superb and they are matched with some of the best fluff I have ever seen biggrin.png .

Thank you for saying so, Phantom. I seem to keep saying this at the moment, but it really is gratifying to know that so many people seem to enjoy reading my fluff. :)

Awesome fluff!

Thanks for sticking with me, mate; there will be a lot more to come! :)

A really nice squad, very cohesive. Not sure if I prefer the Sergeant or the guy to the left. Looking forward to more.

Thanks, ferrus. Means a lot coming from you - I'm loving the work you are doing in your project log, some fantastic greenstuff work so far. How far off do you think we are from seeing some paint on them?

Perfect.

Thank you. :)

you continue you provide great EC and great back stories to go with it, keep up the superb work!

SB

Much appreciated. :)

Will probably have another update for you guys tonight, though nothing terribly exciting - just a group shot of the whole army together. They wont all fit into my makeshift lightbox, so I'll have to bodge something together. :)

Have the servers died again? wallbash.gif

Repost of what was lost:

My apologies for not posting up the army shots last night, but disaster struck. http://www.warseer.com/forums/warseer/images/smilies/mad.png As I'd mentioned, my lightbox is not nearly big enough for photographing more than a few models at a time so I had to make up something that would fit them all. Nothing fancy, just something I could use to get a clear backdrop without random pictures of the dog or what's happening on TV etc. http://www.warseer.com/forums/warseer/images/smilies/smile.png

My solution was a big cardboard box, lined with white paper.

This was fine.

It falling off the small table I'd put it on, with all the models inside, was not. http://www.warseer.com/forums/warseer/images/smilies/eek.png

I have to admit, for a minute I couldn't bring myself to go and see what poor fate had befallen the Imperfect. Luckily, it seems most of them successfully passed their armour saves because aside from 6 backpacks coming off and the dreadnought losing his autocannon neatly at the elbow they escaped miraculously unscathed! As far as I can tell only one of
them has suffered so much as a paint chip, which is tiny and easily fixed. http://www.warseer.com/forums/warseer/images/smilies/biggrin.png

So, moral of the story boys and girls: when putting heavy, fragile things in boxes on tables make sure said box is actually fully on the table, rather than hanging precariously off the back of it with a load of heavy resin inside. http://www.warseer.com/forums/warseer/images/smilies/smile.png

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y429/Laborious101/Emperors%20Children/P1000369_zps3bca2bc6.jpg~original

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y429/Laborious101/Emperors%20Children/P1000371_zps98b98649.jpg~original

Anyway, here's what I'm working on now that the Devastators are done:

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y429/Laborious101/Emperors%20Children/ea08aebf-9f80-4670-89ca-819335e2b27f_zps00eb6a89.jpg~original

However, what could be better than a Sicarran Battle Tank?

How about TWO Sicarran Battle Tanks!

I'd ordered the original and a javelin Land Speeder back in August, and as is usual with Forge World not all of the casting had gone smoothly. The Lascannons on speeder were a complete write-off due to the mould slipping, and one of the Sicarran's Autocannons wasn't much better. Fine, that happens with Forge World, just ring them. I'm initially told it will take up to 4 weeks for the parts to be recast, presumably because this was a couple of weeks before Games Day and I imagine they were churning stuff out for that. If I didn't paint so slow and know I wouldn't be working on the kits for months yet anyway I might have been irritated at them prioritising new business over resolving issues with existing orders. smile.png

Anyway, the 4 weeks come and go and nothing arrives, and then on the fifth week a parcel arrives - With the parts for the javelin but not the Sicarran, despite the invoice listing both of them.

I give it another week in case they've been shipped separately, and then I ring them again and politely enquire as to whether they had indeed been sent in two packages. The customer support guy isn't sure, but takes my email address and promises to chase it up and get back to me.

Another 10 days pass with no parcel and no email, so I ring them for a third time. I'm told the missing part was dispatched on the previous Friday (it is now Thursday).

The next day a courier delivered a big, heavy box with this inside:

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y429/Laborious101/Emperors%20Children/38a07935-bea3-48a1-80b0-40c474673c51_zps2127f6ed.jpg~original

And sods law, the very next day snail mail finally delivered this:

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y429/Laborious101/Emperors%20Children/fe06f190-8b35-4f2b-b17e-9882101d1ebc_zpsf7950c52.jpg~original

So I now have two complete Sicarrans and a replacement set of Autocannons for the first one, plus two replacement sets of Javelin lascannons. blink.png

I'm still not sure whether to be pleased with Forgeworld's largesse once again, or annoyed at how much faffing I had to do to sort it out. smile.png Also, I have no idea what to do with the spare Sicarran? Build that for my EC's too? Save it for a future army? Sell it and use the cash for something else?

It should obviously be built for your EC as well. One can never go wrong with double Sicaran trouble =)

True, I was hoping to perhaps have 2 of these and then a venator (or whatever the laser-destroyer one is called) as a squadron, but I understand you can't take sicarrans as squadrons in massacre?

When in doubt....GO GO MEGAZORD!!!

glue them together to make A SUPAH DUPAH MEHGA SICARAN!!!!

at least thats what the orks tell me.....biggrin.png

Good plan, but if I did go down that route clearly the only proper way to do it would be to get another two as well, cut the backs off each off them, glue them together in pairs and use them as the basis for a giant Banemaran! ;)

They look great so far. You've certainly done the III proud. smile.png

As I said in the other thread, can't wait to see the Sicaran.

Cheers, Darth, glad you're liking everything. :)

Not got a huge update for you guys, but I did do a little painting last night. :)

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l38/RAPTOR192/Citadel%20Minatures/Emperors%20Children/P1000373_zps1a6d725b.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l38/RAPTOR192/Citadel%20Minatures/Emperors%20Children/P1000374_zpsc4f54ccd.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l38/RAPTOR192/Citadel%20Minatures/Emperors%20Children/P1000375_zps8c991c9b.jpg

Just some airbrush work and then the first of the three stages of edge highlighting that I do on these guys.

Archived