The Lightning Warriors, Heralds of the Coming Storm… WIP

Welcome to the tome (WIP) of expanding knowledge on the Adeptus Astartes Chapter known as the Lightning Warriors.  This is the second attempt I am pursing in regards to this chapter of my creation.  Looking back, the first was a clumsy attempt to patch together rag tag bits of information and half thought ideas that gathered over 4 ½ years.  After some serious amounts of reading, from the Horus Heresy Series to the Space Marine Battle novels, and the Deathwatch RPG series, I finally felt prepared to give this another go.  In the interest of avoiding a repeat, I discarded almost all of what I had done, and started with the basics, asking hard questions about how a chapter would come to be, and reading the DIY guides here on the B&C.  What kind of world would create the kind of warrior suitable for induction to Chapter, and how would the styles, knowledge, and culture of such a world influence the thoughts and function of the Chapter they serve?  These questions and more lead me to seek out inspiration in works of literature, and I found this inspiration in the root of much of modern myth.  First and foremost among these are the works of J.R.R Tolkien, his analysis and understanding of ancient language, legends, myths, and cultures lead me into the realm of ideas I had been searching for.  For this reason, you may find that some of the concepts and ideas I place in the body of work, are inspired and influenced by his writings on Beowulf, the legends of Arthur, and The Silmarillion.  So without further ado…

(Before you continue, I apologize in advance for some formatting issues.  I am trying to fix it, but any help would be appreciated.)

The Lightning Warriors, heralds of the coming storm…

“Home lies behind,

the wars ahead,

and there are many

paths to tread,

From darkness to

the edge of night,

until whole worlds,

are all alight,

Flame and battle,

cloud and blade,

Hope shall come,

hope shall….. come.”

(Chapter hymn adapted from Ceven literary tradition)

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/168/7/9/lightning_warrior_veteran_normal_res_by_angelfire400-d69hf1g.jpg

(My drawing of a Lightning Warrior Veteran)

Chapter Origins:

Late M25- End of the Age of Technology- 

A group calling themselves the [data corrupted] flee the turmoil beginning on Terra and take to the stars.  They bring with them most of the ancient works their ancestors passed down into their care, mostly legends and tales of the distant past of mankind.

Late M25- Beginning of the Age of Strife-

The sudden increase in galactic warp storms throws the ship carrying the refugees off course.  In desperation after years of warp travel, they find a suitable planet, located in what would later be the far Northern tip of the Segementum Ultima.

Early M26- The Age of Strife-

Cut off from the rest of man by massive warp storms sweeping the galaxy, the [data corrupted] found a colony on the planet they name Ceven (‘Ke Vhin’). 

Late M35-

While searching for planets suitable as homeworlds for the 21st founding, an Imperial surveyor group discovers Ceven and investigates. 

They find a world inhabited by fierce but sophisticated clans, and though stuck in a regressed state of medieval technology, the literacy rate is close to 99% and crime almost unheard of.  The surveyors maintain a distance as they observe armored warriors fight with steel weapons

and wooden bows in great battles across the sole continent. They wisely decide to avoid interfering, and send a good report back to the High Lords, but this falls on deaf ears amid the immediate problems of the Cursed 21st Founding.

Mid. M38- The Age of Redemption-

Due in part to Astartes losses in the Abyssal Crusade, and the death of the Heretic Basillius who orderd it, a new Chapter is appointed by the High Lords of Terra, to be counted among the 24th founding and given the planet Ceven as a source for Astartes recruits. 

This Chapter was of the lineage of Sanguinius, and the first 300 Brothers are trained by members of the Blood Angels 8th Company, primarly the 7th and 8th squads. This influence manifests in the choosing of the Chapter’s heraldry and name.  As the mark of the 7th and 8th squads was a lightning bolt,

the Chapter is declared the Lightning Warriors, their icon a lightning bolt upon a black circle.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/036/7/7/lightning_warriors_emblem_by_angelfire400-d5tzg9q.png

Late M38-

Following premonitions and scryings of the Emperor’s Tarrot, the Chapter is charged with the defense of three sectors, and told that a Xenos threat will emerge sometime in their future.  The newly formed Chapter of 300 Brothers arrives at Ceven after a rendezvous with the Mechanicus fleet which supplied their ships, armor, weapons, and other equipment. With Mechanicus assistance, they construct their fortress monastery on Ceven’s moon, and turn their attention to the planet which holds their future.     

Mid. M39-

The Chapter finally reaches full strength at 1000 Battle Brothers.  They have successfully integrated themselves into the history, culture and tradition of Ceven.  “Eru’s Knights” are now the supreme authority, and the Emperor’s chosen warriors are obeyed eagerly by the populous, despite their rare appearances. 

Thus did the Lightning Warriors come to be, and since that time, they have honed the skills born of their homeworld against the Xenos threats of the galaxy. The ancient Necrons rose from their slumber, the barbaric Orks gathered, and the Great Devourer itself came to consume. The heralds of the coming storm met them all, striking from the sky with the power of thunderbolts and adorned in yellow battle plate like living energy bolts, their arrival truly heralds death to the Xenos. Though, for all their deeds, their unshakable honor, their glorious victories, and even the praise of those they save from destruction, enslavement, or worse, the Chapter is forever driven onwards. They fling themselves into battle with the speed and fury of the storm because they must. They feel no fear of their foes, and would willingly charge headlong into a host of a million Tyranid beasts if it would but deliver them from the darkness which lies behind. Like a black cloud it presses ever closer around their minds, and the time of the Chapter draws ever shorter. To avoid this trailing doom, ever more battle brothers throw themselves into desperate or hopeless circumstances, each hoping to earn an honorable death worthy of song and remembrance, unstained by the darkness of insanity and the blind rage which transforms knights into brutal savages.  Those who feel the cloud surrounding them paint their armor black as a thunder cloud, and thus visibly distinct from their brightly armored brothers, they openly seek death.  Their only wish to drop amid the foe and drown their sorrow amid the swirl of battle. Even faced with the inevitable onset of the curse lurking within their geneseed, the Lightning Warriors still bear their Primarch’s heritage with the pride and dedication expected of knights. Their calling is to purge the Xenos, and this they do very well.  Where Xenos attack, the Lightning Warriors strike back with bolter and blade, hiding the dark side of their nature from those who call them allies, and unleashing it upon their foes.  Of all Xenos races, the Lightning Warriors are most well known for their war on the Great Devourer, and recently their assistance at the Battle of Black Nebula 995M41.  The Chapter reserves special hatred for the creatures of the Hive Mind.  For while the  Necrons have military tradition and respect martial prowess, and even the foul Orks have an understanding of sacred battle, the mindless horrors of the Great Devourer are lower than worms, their lack of honor and emotion are an abomination to all life.  The worst thing in the eyes of a Lightning Warrior is for someone to have no soul at all, and only the Tyranids are held in this regard.  This particular Xenos group is now believed by the Chapter to be the fulfillment of prophetic visions that lead to their creation, and the Chapter has adapted their nature to better battle the threat posed by the bio-horrors.  They will need it, for rumors are spreading of more Hive Fleets reaching out from the galactic North-East, which lies all too close for comfort…    

Chapter Homeworld:

The Lightning Warriors draw recruits from the planet Ceven (‘Ke Vhin’).  Although the fortress monastery itself resides on Ceven’s moon Alagos, the Brothers still consider Ceven their home.  Ceven’s exact coordinates are not widely known, but it rests somewhere within the Chapter’s zone of responsibility.  This is understood to be in the Northern most region of the Ultima-Segmentum, somewhere North of the Storm of the Emperor’s Wrath, but West of the dreaded Ghoul Stars.  This region is threatened frequently by Ork empires to the Northwest, now a Necron Dynasty to the East, and the approach of the Hive Fleets from the Galactic Rim. 

Under standard Imperial Classification systems, Ceven is a Medieval world, with temperate climate an average of 10 degrees below that of ancient Terran.  Battle and warfare are as much a part of daily activity as eating and sleeping, an environment which produces excellent recruits for the Chapter, and a source of skilled Chapter serfs.  All of the seven major clans share a common literary heritage and religious beliefs, but disputes over territory, resources, and ancient grudges cause a series of endless wars.  Each of the seven clans also maintains its own distinct order of knights, but the members of these are not chosen by any member of the clans. Every ninth year is called the Time of Honor, and this year is the only time when bloodshed is prohibited.  For a whole year, the youths of Ceven train and rest in preparation for the Great Tournament held by Knights of the Emperor at the foot of Mount Oroderu.  The tournament begins on the first day of the last month, and all the youths wishing to partake bid farewell to their clan and depart with enough time to reach the appointed place.  This journey is in fact the first trial, for the dead of winter is not a pleasant time to travel, and this is how applicants prove their endurance.  This is also the reason for the decree against violence, for none wish to interfere in the affairs of the Emperor’s chosen by attacking the applicants.  The second trial comes during the tournament itself, where every applicant must survive two fights.  The first is against a mysterious armored figure obscured by a black mask and full helm, in truth a chapter serf serving one of the Wardens.  This fight is to first blood.  If the applicant, using his own battle gear, emerges victorious they move onto the next round, but must leave behind all their possessions save a single hand weapon.  But if the figure wins, the applicant is eliminated from the tournament and sent home. Those who move on, are given a fitted plain grey robe, boots, and a medium shield.  With these and their remaining hand weapon, they arrive at a secluded camp on the opposite side of the tournament grounds.  That very night, the camp of victors is roused and gathered together by a great knight in dark grey battle plate decorated with the heraldry of the Emperor.  He informs them that an enemy force is approaching the camp, intending to attack them while they sleep.  The knight quickly organizes the camp into a battle formation, and soon a horde of enemies covered in distinctive red tattoos approach.  The barbaric looking foes are actually members of the reclusive eighth clan, known far and wide simply as “the honorless”.  The victors of the second trial must survive this battle with enemies more than twice their number in order to move on.  This third trial serves the purpose of eliminating clan rivalries and ancient grudges but forcing them to unite against a common foe in the interest of survival.  The aftermath of this battle leaves less than half of the victors alive, as they must slay every last one of “the honorless,” who fight without heed for self-preservation.  After the last foe is slain, the great knight gathers all the survivors and leads them to a camp upon the slopes of the mountain itself.  As dawn comes and the star rises over the Eastern horizon, the remaining applicants awake to find not one but three of the great knights in their midst.  One stands upon the rock which rises from the midst of the camp, and the others guard the base of a stone path leading up the mountain.  At this time, the knight upon the rock administers the solemn oath of knighthood upon those gathered.  Then one by one, the applicants are called out by name to pass the two knights and ascending the stairs.  Far above, at the top of the steps, each young knight finds an altar of uncut stones tended by yet another of the great knights.  However, this knight surpasses the others.  Armored in obsidian plate and a great winged helm, he carries a massive spear that writhes with blue flame.  This is the Keeper, a Chapter Librarian, and he orders the young knight to kneel before the altar to be questioned.  As the applicant answers the questions, the Librarian searches the mind and spirit, selecting what manner each will serve in.  Most are charged by the Librarian to return to their clan, now a member of the knighthood, but a few of the male knights are asked to place their hand upon the altar, swearing another oath before being sent up another path to the waiting hands of an Apothecary.  The new Aspirants are then taken by Thunderhawk to the Fortress Monastery for initiation.

Thus do all Lightning Warriors become ready to serve the Imperium, they have the skill and heart of knights, they have fought against odds and emerged victorious, their rivals have become their comrades and friends, and the great knights they once held in awe become their Brothers.    

Coming Soon.... Combat Doctrine

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it thus far.

I welcome all comments and as much constructive criticism as you can provide on writing and artwork.

(Edit) added tags, fixed some issues

deathspectersgt7,

I am not sure what you are referring to.  The Lightning Warriors hate the Tyranids because none of the Nids have souls.

They do respect the Necrons as deadly foes, and even the lowliest Necron warrior had at one time a soul,

hence they do not hold them in the same regard as Nids.

If I understood you correctly, I hope I have clarified things.  I will see if there is a better way to explain it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well CaptainLNH,

I think I read a short story about a DW marine that you posted in the Fan Fiction section.  And I thought it showed promise.

I have some suggestions for this though.  It very abruptly jumps into the Chapter origins, before the reader knows hardly anything about them.  Could you give the basic Chapter info first?  Maybe try starting with the creation guide from the DW rpg books you mentioned, I always thought it was cool without over complicating things.

Then you could have sections that are more detailed, and people could choose what to explore.

Then I have to say I liked the chapter induction/recruiting process.  But it is a bit lengthy, perhaps you should write a story that includes this.  A more in-depth approach, rather than the laborious reading of a third person perspective.

Other than those, I liked the idea of a chapter that fights horde xenos more than anything else, and want to see how this effects their methods and style.

And I liked the section at the end of the Origins, which explains them but leaves mystery.

I hope to see some models as well, that is if you have made any models.

I will be watching this thread.

Thanks for the suggestions Brother Eruantien,

I will give it a try once I have time.  I am glad you liked that story I wrote a while ago, and I have been considering giving it another go, but time is not readily available for me currently. 

Archived