I've decided against head #2 and the crests in general, and will probably go with head #3. I imagine the VIII Legion were already terror troops even before the primarch was found on Nostramo, and skinning + body part trophies was the flavor of the day. I dunno about an entire cloak made of skin, though. That feels more chaos 40k to me.

Remember, these guys were more or less the personal Astartes of a (former) king. He'd want his 'inner circle' type Commanders to give off an aura of importance or awe, and I think that would dictate into things like exotic fur cloaks, crested helms to show importance, perhaps some gilding.

Ah, but that's the thing!

http://i.imgur.com/TpuZe3Z.png?1

The way it reads to me, they were fighting against Gotha, and not with him. "...during the pacification of the wasteland doman of Oxitania." "...offered the king of Oxitania the rank of Rogue Trader in remission of execution."

From what little info is provided in this color plate, the story I'm building in my head is that Gotha had some seriously nasty troops and put up one hell of a fight against the 9th Company; so much so, that he earned some grudging respect from the Crimson Sons. Once they had finally pacified the territory and it came time to put Gotha to the sword, the Emperor instead offered him the chance to keep fighting for Terra out in the Great Crusade (his title being Rogue Trader Militant Lord Gotha, after all). I'm sure he was given ships and troops - both Terran and Martian -  but the Crimson Sons oathed themselves to his service because of their respect for him, and here we are.

Not quite sure what you mean, Jasp.

I've got an idea in my head of what I wish I could sculpt for the techno-barbarians I want to do, and since I'm not good enough to do whole figures from scratch yet, I've been looking around the web for stuff that might be close. I remember buying a few Alchemists of Dirz Confrontation figures back in the day, and it's a shame they're OOP because a lot of their figures are almost spot on to what I'm wanting:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/RackhamMiniatures/Alchemists%20of%20Dirz/ClonesofDirzBlister.jpg http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/RackhamMiniatures/Alchemists%20of%20Dirz/CloneWarriorofDirz.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/RackhamMiniatures/Alchemists%20of%20Dirz/Centurusclones1.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/RackhamMiniatures/Alchemists%20of%20Dirz/Centurusclones2.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/RackhamMiniatures/Alchemists%20of%20Dirz/JadharisClones.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/RackhamMiniatures/Alchemists%20of%20Dirz/KeratisWarriorsTheDominators.jpg

I wonder if I can convert some stuff along those lines.

I think that the crimson sons would be solemn in expressions they wouldn't over the top their ornamentation and being Terran marines all remnants at that they would most likely be sort of like the shields with no borders or whatever from GoT. I feel that the NL don't get enough praise in a militaristic way. I understand post curze it would have gone out the windows but fear tactics work better when there's a martial backing

Firstly, some of those pics have given me some ideas for my Chaos Marines - so thanks :smile.:

second.. a good base might be the WFB Chaos Marauders or even the Dark Elves ranges depending on which style you go for.

I have some marauders stuff from when the multi-part plastics were brand new. I'll have a look at them and see if something clicks.

I think that the crimson sons would be solemn in expressions they wouldn't over the top their ornamentation and being Terran marines all remnants at that they would most likely be sort of like the shields with no borders or whatever from GoT. I feel that the NL don't get enough praise in a militaristic way. I understand post curze it would have gone out the windows but fear tactics work better when there's a martial backing

They're astartes! The martial backing is already there. Most people already poop their pants a little as it is when just seeing one up close, but one covered in grisly trophies would be a rad-horse of a different color.

I used to play Dirz, actually. May still have parts lying around, but their condition might not be the best.

If you're wanting to part with some of them, shoot me a PM.

I don't read anything about respect in that color plate, implied, grudging or otherwise.  I do see that the remaining Crimson Sons were Oathbonded to Gotha.  Perhaps the Emperor granted Gotha a title and a Rogue Trader's seal and set him loose as part of the Great Crusade but set the Crimson Sons as a reminder of his "Beneficence?"  Who in there right mind would want genetically engineered terror troops as part of his arsenal and why would he willingly be at Isstvan V?  Those are the takeaway points that stand out to me.  Oathbound or not I wouldn't trust the super-soldiers that just crushed my empire on Terra out on the galactic rim.  Especially ones that bleed from their eyes and were recruited from a criminal underworld.

I don't read anything about respect in that color plate, implied, grudging or otherwise.  I do see that the remaining Crimson Sons were Oathbonded to Gotha.  Perhaps the Emperor granted Gotha a title and a Rogue Trader's seal and set him loose as part of the Great Crusade but set the Crimson Sons as a reminder of his "Beneficence?"  Who in there right mind would want genetically engineered terror troops as part of his arsenal and why would he willingly be at Isstvan V?  Those are the takeaway points that stand out to me.  Oathbound or not I wouldn't trust the super-soldiers that just crushed my empire on Terra out on the galactic rim.  Especially ones that bleed from their eyes and were recruited from a criminal underworld.

Totally.

We know nothing about this RT, nor his fate.

'There's a raving party in Isstvan V brother. Are we going?'

'I'm sorry but we are serving that RT at the moment'

'Oh. Have you a skinning knive at hand, maybe? I have stuff to fix'

Note that I said this:

From what little info is provided in this color plate, the story I'm building in my head is...

I'm trying to spin a yarn from the bare threads provided about these guys.

I don't read anything about respect in that color plate, implied, grudging or otherwise.

There's not much implied at all. The whole thing is very sparse on details.

I do see that the remaining Crimson Sons were Oathbonded to Gotha.  Perhaps the Emperor granted Gotha a title and a Rogue Trader's seal and set him loose as part of the Great Crusade but set the Crimson Sons as a reminder of his "Beneficence?"  

Possibly.

Who in their right mind would want genetically engineered terror troops as part of his arsenal and why would he willingly be at Isstvan V?

A former king that commanded a genetically and cyberntically enhanced army of techo-barbarians, probably. And he wasn't at Isstvan - let me put the entire piece about them back in here:

http://i.imgur.com/DTm3hoz.png?1

The 9th Company was eventually reunited with the rest of the Legion, prior to Isstvan.

We DO know that the VIII Legion were some of the earliest traitors that didn't need a push from Chaos, and hated the Emperor almost from the start. In my mind, Gotha was a more likable boss to serve than the Emperor, who they already didn't care for. I'm sure he was a charismatic sort and probably didn't shy away from the tactics of these guys, and possibly even encouraged them.

That's my opinion and the story I'm making up to build this force around.

Updated WIP:

http://i.imgur.com/z7T9iQ2.jpg

Archaeotech pistol and counts-as Nostraman chainglaive.

Love the look of this guy so far. My first thought was (and I'm sure youve thought of it) but the *weapon* shaft needs some girth. Have you considered using something like gilded spinal column for the job?  

Edited by The_Chaplain

I forgot Mikhail had sent me a miscast chainaxe he had from a Rampager set, and I thought it would work better on Vastos. I had to replace the teeth and it still needs some cleaning up, but:

http://i.imgur.com/XgfMoWV.jpg

I'd still shorten it a touch, maybe quarter of an inch. There's a line between "epic" and "absurd", and that axe is kinda toeing the line, in my opinion.

Still, he looks great.

Paint?

Yeah, I need to shorten the haft a little. Even though the new axe head is shorter than the original, the longer face makes it look taller overall.

I was going to prime a couple of old metal marines today to try out a couple of shades of blue, but last night a cold front came in and brought thunderstorms with it. I've had issues priming in humid cold in the past.

Yeah, I need to shorten the haft a little. Even though the new axe head is shorter than the original, the longer face makes it look taller overall.

I was going to prime a couple of old metal marines today to try out a couple of shades of blue, but last night a cold front came in and brought thunderstorms with it. I've had issues priming in humid cold in the past.

Personally I think the haft looks OK. Looking forward to seeing paint on the models though. 

Personally I think the haft looks OK. Looking forward to seeing paint on the models though. 

Dude, imagine holding an axe twice your height. Not even Khârn could control that beast.

I'd still shorten it a touch, maybe quarter of an inch. There's a line between "epic" and "absurd", and that axe is kinda toeing the line, in my opinion.

Still, he looks great.

Paint?

I agree, maybe take it down so that the bottom tip of the axe blade is level with the top of his hand?

And heck yes, paint that bad boy on the double!