In my own mind, having the right shoulder guard being thicker makes sense. If he is attacked from that side he's far able to bear the brunt of it :smile.:

He's really coming together! :wub.:

Ah. I meant, when I look at the current and previous pictures, it looks like the plates have been raised, but it hasnt gone overboard. I mean, it's hard to be subtle when you're in a full suit of TDA!!!

Ah, I see what you mean. The plates haven't been raised, but I positioned them so they were both horizontal instead of the top plate sitting on the lower one at an angle. Then I used the original armor plates as a template and increased the thickness with a lot of GS.

In my own mind, having the right shoulder guard being thicker makes sense. If he is attacked from that side he's far able to bear the brunt of it :smile.:

He's really coming together! :wub.:

I was inspired by stuff like this:

448fa4c73beaec28e531aa2ff17ef957.jpg

Where the weapon arm has armor for where the shield might not be able to cover.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to try a little color test tonight after I got home from work.

http://i.imgur.com/lQyqvPw.png

As usual, even with tweaking in Photoshop, I can't get the red to look quite like it does on the figure and it's not really that bright.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

I haven't gotten much hobby time recently because reasons, but I think I'm just about done with this guy.

http://i.imgur.com/Le1ZS5a.png

All he needs is some rivets on that new band around his chest and a little adjustment to the shield positioning, and I think that will do it. Except... maybe a cape? What are your opinions on that, brothers?

I am slightly torn, because for many models, the cape is like a status symbol... If it's wearing a cape/cloak, must be a hard-ass or a captain.

However with the mace and the big shield. I think the model could end up getting a little lost if you put a cloak on it.

So I would  say, a little reluctantly

No capes

Edited by dantay_xv

I don't know. A cape would be cool, but it might make him look a lot like a miniature Horus, if you go down the cape + fur route (which is always badass). You could keep it fairly subtle and have most of the cape burned/torn away, emphasising the rugged, no-frills aesthetic of the XIVth.

Practically capes are indeed ridiculous, but they just look badass. Arkhan has a point when he says you might want to avoid the Horus look, though. So perhaps a small-ish cape, like Garro?

Hidden Content

99560101474_GarroHandOfTheSigilite04.jpg

EDIT: BTW can we see a shot from the back? I'm just interested in his look from more angles than the front. :)

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I had planned on a cape, and this back view shows that.

http://i.imgur.com/gPmpmwY.png

If I decided not to go with one, I still have more work to do. I'm leaning towards not doing one because I've written some history for the character since starting the conversion and he seems more and more like he wouldn't wear one.

I don't know. A cape would be cool, but it might make him look a lot like a miniature Horus, if you go down the cape + fur route (which is always badass). You could keep it fairly subtle and have most of the cape burned/torn away, emphasising the rugged, no-frills aesthetic of the XIVth.

The astartes from Barbarus, and later the Death Guard as reshaped by Morty were certainly no-frills, but the Terran Dusk Raiders were all about the medals, campaign badges, crested helmets, capes, and whatnot.

Have you considered a half-skirt, versus a cape? Seems like wearing that w/TDA makes more sense than a full cape, so that the material doesn't clog the vents on the back piece. Plus, it would help protect the backs of the legs/thighs, so that dirt/dust/etc wouldn't get into the armor seams, for less wear and tear.

Either way, great work as always.

Yeah, I think he meant that.

I use them only over 1 leg therefore I refer to them as half skirts. (By the way: Your tissue trick made the whole thing possible^^)

And I want to have your figure as a sidenote^^

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

I think SalvationOfReasonmay have meant something more like this, a Clone Trooper Command Skirt, or "Kama":

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/2f/CmdrFoxKama.jpg/revision/latest/top-crop-down/width/320/height/320?cb=20080726130731

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

I like. The dirty weathered effect, the blending of the armour and the camo, the faded red stripe, a syringe paint job that fits the character. I sort of fee like the model needs something else though, I'm not sure what. Maybe a little variation in colour on say the pistols holster, nothing too much to ruin the camo, but just to help set it apart slightly. Otherwise I think you have set out and achieved a really nice character and seen through a concept.

This has been one of the hardest figures I've ever tried to photograph. I actually finished him some months ago but I'd tried 5 or 6 times to get decent photos of him and couldn't; in person, there is a lot more contrast on him and his armor doesn't look so monotone.

I tried something new with the pigments on this guy that worked out pretty well. I've used pigments before, but I was having trouble pulling off the really dusty look of someone who'd been in a windy dust bowl sort of environment for a while. On a whim, I took some of my custom airbrush thinning fluid (a mix of matte medium, water, and a little bit of Future Floor Wax), and added some pigment directly to it and airbrushed it on him. When dry, it's practically sealed to him.