OK, tired two different things with the helmet today and nothing is working for me. Three strikes and I'm done with futzing with a helmet. Just gonna go old school and call it a day. Some of the other ideas got shifted around as well and here's what I've cobbled together:

http://i.imgur.com/w420oy3.jpg

The left hand will be repositioned, but I've been messing with this damn thing for the better part of the day and had to quit here for now.

Thanks, Darth. I'm sure I'll end up tweaking the pose a fair amount, but like the aura you mentioned, this is the first time this conversion has had that spark for me.

I'm going to try for a full crusader tabard, maybe a hood, and a few other things inspired by art work.

OK, tired two different things with the helmet today and nothing is working for me. Three strikes and I'm done with futzing with a helmet. Just gonna go old school and call it a day. Some of the other ideas got shifted around as well and here's what I've cobbled together:

http://i.imgur.com/w420oy3.jpg

The left hand will be repositioned, but I've been messing with this damn thing for the better part of the day and had to quit here for now.

I really like this guy. Awesome looking model and pose

Well it's a good thing you quit and have let it be for now. Sometimes that's the best thing to do.

And let me say, I think he looks great. I can already feel the aura coming off this guy. Looking forward to where you take this. 

Seconded. I know how you feel, bro; calling it quits and getting a night to rest is sometimes what you need to go at a project with a clear head.

None the less, he looks great. Looking forward to the finished product.

I really like this guy. Awesome looking model and pose

Well it's a good thing you quit and have let it be for now. Sometimes that's the best thing to do.

And let me say, I think he looks great. I can already feel the aura coming off this guy. Looking forward to where you take this. 

Seconded. I know how you feel, bro; calling it quits and getting a night to rest is sometimes what you need to go at a project with a clear head.

None the less, he looks great. Looking forward to the finished product.

Thanks, brothers. To give you some idea of how tired I was after an insomnia attack last night and a morning shift today, once I got tired of messing around with the other helmet, I thought "Screw it! I'll just make this guy a 30k Black Templar and... Oh, wait."

I considered keeping the axe from the previous mock ups, but now I'm not so sure. What do you guys think?

A sword would be better I feel rather than an axe........even though there are pictures in history books with knight with axes I've always looked at axes as a Viking/Saxon thing.

Where as I see knights with a double handed swords, small swords, morning stars etc.

Just my 2p

I think I have angered the machine spirit of my camera since it refuses to focus properly on the front view. Perhaps a trip to Tech-Brother Orathos is in order.

http://i.imgur.com/CtLKUn8.jpg

Shame about the helmet i think it was almost there. A small T shaped visor and some small rivets around the top of the helmet. and maybe a cut in behind the cheek area to make it look like a helmet that front flips up. But the MKIII helmet looks just as good :smile.:.

I also agree with Dorn_fist and Anaziel that a sword, mace or war pick would be much more knightly 

Edited by Squeaky

A sword would be better I feel rather than an axe........even though there are pictures in history books with knight with axes I've always looked at axes as a Viking/Saxon thing.

Where as I see knights with a double handed swords, small swords, morning stars etc.

Just my 2p

Great pose, MK III helmets look great for Black Templars. As Dorns_fist said, swords feel more knightly, but if you want to use something blunt why not a mace? Those are very knightly.

Yeah, I've been thinking about a mace for this guy. As for knights with swords, many were not terribly wealthy and a good sword was not cheap back in the day. Axes were relatively cheap and could also do work around one's holdings.

Shame about the helmet i think it was almost there. A small T shaped visor and some small rivets around the top of the helmet. and maybe a cut in behind the cheek area to make it look like a helmet that front flips up. But the MKIII helmet looks just as good :smile.:.

I also agree with Dorn_fist and Anaziel that a sword, mace or war pick would be much more knightly 

It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be to get the cross symmetrical, and the main reason I gave up on it was it was looking far too much like a lucha libre mask. >_<

If you have any of the MK 7 crusader versions from the dark angels or Templar upgrade sprues you could shave or file the top and back vents down to make a more stylized MK 3 helmet.

I don't have either of those. :(

So, I just got home from work and as soon as I walk in, a stifling wall of heat slaps me in the face. It would seem our AC quit working while I was on my shift, and it's so stupidly :censored: hot in here, I'm seriously considering leaving until it cools off some. And I had wanted to get some work done on the BT tonight. /sigh

I actually thought the helmet looked pretty nice, but seriously, good luck with the AC!

It's my brother's house and he works for a plumbing/HVAC company, so maybe we can get some help or a discount. 'Cause, as one of my co-workers would say, it's hot as balls up in here.

It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be to get the cross symmetrical, and the main reason I gave up on it was it was looking far too much like a lucha libre mask. >_<

>If you have any of the MK 7 crusader versions from the dark angels or Templar upgrade sprues you could shave or file the top and back vents down to make a more stylized MK 3 helmet.

I don't have either of those. :sad.:

So, I just got home from work and as soon as I walk in, a stifling wall of heat slaps me in the face. It would seem our AC quit working while I was on my shift, and it's so stupidly :censored: hot in here, I'm seriously considering leaving until it cools off some. And I had wanted to get some work done on the BT tonight. /sigh

That's fair enough symmetry is something I still need a lot of work on In my green stuff so I understand your frustration with wanting to get it spot on and how time consuming it is. Hope your air con is sorted soon mate ;)  

There's a guy coming tomorrow to assess the situation and see how bad off we are. In the meantime, after dinner, my brother says "Oh hey, a package came for you yesterday." >_>

I'd been waiting for this:

http://i.imgur.com/29Q1fQF.jpg

The Templar and everything else might be on hold for a bit...

got to love family...haha

That's debatable. :wallbash:

So, I had a few ideas in mind while these beauties (and oh my, are they pretty) but it's difficult to plan on something while looking at pictures on the internet. Practically all of those ideas went out the window as soon as I had the models in my hand for one reason or another. I don't want to go too crazy with "Scarafying" them, but some accents and throwbacks to history would be nice and of course, something to denote speed and motion. :biggrin.:

To that end, I've been doing more digging around on teh web in search of historical datapicts to draw on. Here's some of them:

http://i.imgur.com/U1tpHMy.jpg?1  

http://i.imgur.com/zkPSjO5.jpg?1   http://i.imgur.com/pdYBdrS.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/cBiGW0Q.jpg?1   http://i.imgur.com/qRzObFb.jpg?1

I'm thinking I'll try to d something like the armored skirt the riders have as well as more helmets like I one I sculpted for that test figure. I might have to make a couple and see about getting them cast, as I plan on having more than three of these things. Some lightning bolt decorations here and there, maybe some of those horsehair tassle things and some streamers or banners to help show give a sense of motion.