Jaspcat: Making paradoxes like there's no tomorrow.

I like what you're doing with the Rogue Trader, reminds me of a space Aragorn so far. As for the basket hilt, I'm not sure what to suggest. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest taking one of the 'winged' chainswords from the Blood Angels Death Company box, shaving off the detail and carving/sculpting on the 'basket hilt'.

Looking around, Sigvald the Magnificent has a blade with a hilt that can be extended to become basket hilted, whilst there's a few conversions to Space Marine chainswords that make them look vaguely like what you're after, and if all else fails, 3rd party companies such as Warlord Games may have the bitz you need in some of their kits.

Edited by Dragonkin Arenis

Nice work BCK. My only comment would be (and seeing what you've done with the arm, I'm wary of saying this) that the legs still look too chunky, especially the greaves. I'd say scrap them down a tad more and rebuild them to look more like musculature. Just to help differentiate from SM power armour.  

I think the legs will mostly be covered, but the leg armor was pretty chunky in the art piece:

http://i.imgur.com/t3pno3q.jpg?1

I don't think I'll have him lifting up the robes to show it off though.

Or... doing something else... "Hey kid, you ever smell a fart sanctioned by the God-Emperor?"

I think the legs will mostly be covered, but the leg armor was pretty chunky in the art piece:

http://i.imgur.com/t3pno3q.jpg?1

I don't think I'll have him lifting up the robes to show it off though.

Or... doing something else... "Hey kid, you ever smell a fart sanctioned by the God-Emperor?"

God that is a creepy pose. Flasher Inquisitors, they'll get you every time.

http://i.imgur.com/3ErzIdt.jpg?1

No lie, I don't care for the hood. I see hoods on power armored mortals, I immediately think 'Inquisition'. Which is not cool for a Rogue Trader.

The guy above pretty much personifies how I envision a Rogue Trader. Regal and noble, but with a face that has seen it all.

Plus, the fox is super cool. I gotta try sculpting that.

Come with me child the inquisition has candy

Soooo very wrong.

Are you planning a few INQ(/Rogue Trader) characters or just this guy?  

I have several ideas for other henchmen/retinue members that I'd like to do even if I can't figure out a way to make them count as other Mechanicum units, especially since this arrived while I was at work:

http://i.imgur.com/cpazs02.jpg?1

God that is a creepy pose. Flasher Inquisitors, they'll get you every time.

And who ya gonna report it to?

http://i.imgur.com/3ErzIdt.jpg?1

No lie, I don't care for the hood. I see hoods on power armored mortals, I immediately think 'Inquisition'. Which is not cool for a Rogue Trader.

The guy above pretty much personifies how I envision a Rogue Trader. Regal and noble, but with a face that has seen it all.

Plus, the fox is super cool. I gotta try sculpting that.

Generally, I would agree with you 100%, but this is a former king of a techno-barbarian state at the tail end of the Age of Strife, and the Inquisition didn't exist at this time. This guy could very easily be "more machine than man now, twisted and evil". If the hood doesn't work out, I'll try something else.

I've got a little bit of fluff I wrote up for my Crimson Sons last night after doing some thinking on what their mindset might be.

Vastos, first captain of the Crimson Sons, 9th Company, VIII Legion, looked down at the data slate in disgust.

"This is accurate?" he asked softly.  Vastos was short for an astartes, as were all of the men under his command, due to the deplorable conditions they had lived in prior to being "liberated" by the Emperor. Perhaps things were different from the perspective of the new ruler of mankind, but stealing children and forcing them to undergo horrific gene therapy and surgeries to replace or strengthen parts of their anatomy to turn them into super soldiers hardly seemed like liberation to his sensibilities. His temper also suffered the same failings as his stature, and the men often had contests to see who would deliver bad news. Today, it was Skev, sergeant of assault squad Beta.

It hardly seemed possible, but Skev's ashen complexion blanched. With the sweat beading on his forehead and cheeks, his skin resembled polished alabaster. His long, thin, fingers clenched and unclenched nervously into fists and the lighting claws sheathed in the housings on the back of his hands rattled slightly with each clench. "It is, Captain. It was verified three times before being brought to you."

Vastos switched off the data slate and handed it back to Skev, who seemed relieved there had been no explosion of temper. The assault sergeant wasn't the brightest of his troops, and failed to realize what the proper triggers to his captain's choler were. "Does Ylan know?"

It was mostly a rhetorical question since the former king had been sent duplicates of their orders on all but a few occasions. "Yes, Captain. He said to inform you that he shares your reservations."

"I doubt that," Vastos said dryly. The deposed King of Oxitania and now Rogue Trader for the Emperor of Mankind might be a match for an astartes with his own gene enchancements and augmetics, but he had no concept of what it was to be an astartes. Ylan Ghota and the Crimson Sons even shared similar points of view on morality, justice, and punishment, but the indignity of this announcement would be lost on him. The muscles in his jaws bunched as his teeth clenched and he had to quell the rising anger inside him before he lashed out at one of his own. No, he would lock that hatred away and save it for the reinforcements they were to take on in three weeks' time.

The Crimson Sons were Terrans to a man, and like Vastos, all of them had but a single name, for the night's children had no families. In the lightless world they had been born to, they had lived liked animals, eking out a miserable existence from the few scraps that a fresh influx of prisoners brought and what other sustenance could be found in the sinks, which often included human flesh. He had made his first kill at age six, and by the age of ten, he was killing adult males with ease. The lightless depths forged them into merciless killers by necessity, and the only deference Vastos showed the Emperor was that he had not tried to change their nature and used them as the weapon they were. There were no glorious victories touted across the Imperium and no parades for their clandestine missions.

They were the 9th Company of the VIII Legion.

Crimson Sons. Tempered by the horrific fighting in the radiated ruins and acid storms of Oxitania.

What they were not was Nostraman ganger scum with their idiotic renaming of the Legion structure and their foolish titles. They were not mewling children that fell to their knees in worship of the genegineered abomination that the Emperor had named as a son and given the Legion to. And they most certainly were not -

"Night Lords," Vastos hissed through his clenched teeth.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

I've never seen that art before, but it's pretty awesome. Except that she looks a bit young to be an Inquisitor.

Actually, that probably doesn't matter with rejuvenat treatments and whatnot...

I'd never seen it either, until a few days ago. Whether or not you like the FFG 40k RPGs, the huge influx of new art they produce is nice. And yeah, she could be a couple hundred years old, lol.

Hmmm kage have you used/seen the bionic head on the FW character conversion upgrade pack I could send you the spare I have if you could utilise it it's smaller then a standard head and has the grill your looking for

I had an idea for the retuine a scummy astrates NL wimp that's been placed in servitude with the rogue trader because the company couldn't stand him :wink:

Idea worth running with or no?

I just wanted the rebreather part, not 3/4 of his entire head to be bionic, but thanks for the suggestions. For you other idea, it wouldn't be one of the Terran VIII Legion guys, but maybe one of those Nostraman scumbags they were sent as reinforcements.

So I was checking out the RT figure to see where I wanted to start next, and all of the GS work I put on the model last night is still gummy. It's been almost 24 hours and it hasn't cured yet... I've never seen this happen before. On the plus side, I wasn't real happy with my second look at the armor on the chest and don't feel too bad about having to pull it off and do something else.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

That's why my cloaks never worked with the GS 72 hrs passed and they were still imprinting and soft :/

Maybe it didn't mix properly? Bionic head would still be cool though :smile.:

It probably didn't get mixed properly, yeah, and I bet it was too little blue to cure up the way it should.

Some time back, my first foray into the 30th millennium was to attempt a small Custodes force for one of those big "A Tale of X Gamers" things, and as usual, I had big ideas and life got in the way and messed it all up. I had some good conversions of Custodes in the past, and while I admired some of the imaginative use of bits or sculpting work, they always looked off to me in relation to the artwork and I finally decided that it was the marine figures were too bulky. After A D-B's First Heretic book and the revelation that marines were the cheap, Mens Wearhouse suit and the Custodes were more like the carefully tailored offerings by Hunstman of Saville Row, I decided to use Dark Eldar as a base. I figured such carefully engineered soldiers could easily have the same attributes of an astartes in a trimmer package, and it seemed to jibe with most of the artwork.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/CustodesConcept3.jpg

So, you may ask, where the hell are you going with this BCK?

Well, shortly after the Cataphractii terminators were released by FW, I picked up a single model from eBay with the intention of testing out what I could for the terminator-armored Custodes, who, even in the artwork, were just as big as their astartes cousins. That never came to pass. Now that I'm looking at a new 30k force that I'm excited about, I decided to dust off that Cataphractii and see what I could do with it as far as posing. Here's one I like using the Talon of Abaddon so generously sent to me by Jaspcat.

http://i.imgur.com/bbv4N1Y.jpg

Abby's arm doesn't fit just right, and I'll need to take the Dremel to it to make it do so, but with my brother asleep downstairs, I can't do it tonight. This pose would obviously require some gap filling in the torso, but I like the feel of it.