Thanks for all the encouragement and believe me, as critical as I am of my own work, no one has higher expectations for this than me. I had today off so I got a decent amount of work in amongst the errands and such.

The first step was bulking up the legs and forming the initial shape of the right greave.

http://i.imgur.com/h6WHzn7.png

Once that cured, I got the armor on the left thigh done, cut out the recessed area on the right greave, did the initial work on the knee pad, and leveled out the chest.

http://i.imgur.com/9pOeeZu.png

So looking at the model, I'm reminded of the movie "a million ways to die in the west"

Didn't see that one.

Looks awesome, love the beard. It's mental how little of the original sculpt you're using and the fact it's pretty much a base for you to work on.

Yeah, I sometimes file down the details and stuff on a model to use it like a blank 3D canvas. :)

Always have reference materials at hand is my advice. Every time I sculpt hair or fur I'll have several figures and/or pictures nearby to use for reference. Being my first attempt at facial hair I found some good shots, mostly from eBay bits sellers, of the bearded Sternguard head and also nabbed several of my Vostroyan figures to keep handy.

The technique itself was pretty straightforward, rolling out three thin little sausages of GS - one for the hair on the jawline, one for the mustache, and one for the sideburn - then flattened them all to get the proper thickness and to make sure they'd stick. I made the jaw and mustache rolls longer than necessary so I could pinch them off at the right spot and help anchor them that way. Once all that was done, I used a metal sculpting tool with the thinnest blade edge I could find and carefully mark in the hair clump shapes. That's it.

Slowly but surely.

http://i.imgur.com/p5KXbBF.png

Cut the shape of the chest out of the shape from the previous pic. Why not just sculpt the shape in? It's hard to get sharp, hard-edged lines like that with sculpting tools, but if you use a fresh X-Acto blade to cut the shapes in it works just fine. Also built up more of the knee pad and the upper chest, added tubes to the lower chest/side area, and bulked up the right arm.

Here's some other views of the current progress:

http://i.imgur.com/pbVzAz8.png

The art for easier comparison.

http://i.imgur.com/QS1pSTu.png

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

Great work so far. Did you file down the legs before you started sculpting? Also, for how long do you let the GS cure before you add the next layer and how thick are your layers usually (I suppose this last one depends on what you are doing)?

I cut and scraped the original detail off, but didn't actively reduce the width of the legs. I let the GS cure completely before doing more work. A putty curing oven made out of an empty paint can and a lamp helps speed that process along.

The thickness of the new layers, as you guessed, is dependent on what I'm doing, but the ideally you want the layer to be just thin enough to do what you're wanting with it. I think one of the hardest lessons to learn with using GS is gauging just how much of it you need for what you plan on doing. Too little, and you'll most likely have to scrap your work and start over or try to blend new GS into the existing work, and with too much GS you run the risk of making something too thick, or uneven.

Great work so far. Did you file down the legs before you started sculpting? Also, for how long do you let the GS cure before you add the next layer and how thick are your layers usually (I suppose this last one depends on what you are doing)?

I cut and scraped the original detail off, but didn't actively reduce the width of the legs. I let the GS cure completely before doing more work. A putty curing oven made out of an empty paint can and a lamp helps speed that process along.

The thickness of the new layers, as you guessed, is dependent on what I'm doing, but the ideally you want the layer to be just thin enough to do what you're wanting with it. I think one of the hardest lessons to learn with using GS is gauging just how much of it you need for what you plan on doing. Too little, and you'll most likely have to scrap your work and start over or try to blend new GS into the existing work, and with too much GS you run the risk of making something too thick, or uneven.

Another question that came to mind, something Ive had trouble with in the past when Ive attempted sculpting is how to sculpt bits that  arent applied on a piece of the model, as in crests, horns or flowing hair. How do you keep it from falling off under its own weight and also how to add details without bending it out of shape.

I hope you dont mind me asking here on your thread, I dont want to bring it off topic :P

For something like horns or flowing hair, I would use some sort of wire or rod to build on.

I've been real busy with work the last few days so I haven't been able to work on Argos much but I did manage to get some stuff done last night and earlier today.

http://i.imgur.com/ZMgpROq.png

I'm thinking now that should have cut one of the legs away from the body for ease of sculpting because working on the back of the that left leg and the foot was a completely nightmare. I wanted to finish the foot in one go, but I kept having so much trouble with getting the sculpting tools in an around that area that the greenstuff was starting to firm up, so I'll come back and finish it after work tonight.

The thighs seem a tad long compared to the shins and feet.

That tends to happen with the longest bone in the body. ;)

Great sculpting dude! The facial hair looks excellent on the 'terminator' head.

It's awesome to see that your talent is being utilised in the Brother Argos project (and modelling our fearless leader no less!). I'm sure that you'll produce the masterpiece the project deserves :smile.:

Even though the artwork only has the upper portion of the face replaced with cybernetics, I liked the idea of half the guy's face being gone but he still keeps the beard.

I think it's just the angle of the photo that makes the shin on the right leg look a lot shorter.

Yeah, there's other images I already posted that shows the leg from different angles and you can get a better view of it. The pics taken from the same angle as the artwork has the lower right leg foreshortened.