Hmm.  Well the cloth looks good, but the more intricate half contrasts sharply with the thicker, more static shape of the other side.  It does match the leather tassel things of his right shoulder rather well, though. Bit of a classical sculpture vibe compared to the more static, flat stuff you typically see.  I think simply (well, it probably isn't simple) making the transition from thin thick and blunt to slender and flowing a bit smoother would do the trick.

He's a bit waspy in the waist, but I dunno how far along the sculpt is in that region.

The shield looks very cool, appropriately intimidatingly blunt and simple. :smile.:

The flow and shape of the cloth could also match well with some wispy smoke rising (or falling, or flowing along) from the brazier-mace...

Edited by Firepower

And on your left we may see the masterwork of BCK, making me feel inferior on a weekly basis.

We hoped you enjoyed B&C tours, I am going back to my quarters to cry myself to sleep...

LOL, thanks

I love that model. So many little things that go well with the others. That helm is one of my favourite parts. So apt for him :smile.:

Yeah, that helm is perfect. I'm so glad I had it.

The Breaker is looking great. If you are not sure about the tabard, why not do it with your patented gluey tissue cape technique?

Might get some quite cool  fold lines and it will drape more "naturally" over the kneepad.

As an aside you can also draw any designs on the tissue prior to the gluing phase which saves so much time and hassle when it comes to working out where to put the paint :smile.:

I like the tissue technique for capes and such, but I wanted to try greenstuff for this tabard.

The works to your usual standard BCK, although I do think the cloth looks messy. I see what your trying to do but it's just not right at the moment.

Yeah, I've already removed it to try again.

Hmm.  Well the cloth looks good, but the more intricate half contrasts sharply with the thicker, more static shape of the other side.  It does match the leather tassel things of his right shoulder rather well, though. Bit of a classical sculpture vibe compared to the more static, flat stuff you typically see.  I think simply (well, it probably isn't simple) making the transition from thin thick and blunt to slender and flowing a bit smoother would do the trick.

He's a bit waspy in the waist, but I dunno how far along the sculpt is in that region.

The shield looks very cool, appropriately intimidatingly blunt and simple. :smile.:

The flow and shape of the cloth could also match well with some wispy smoke rising (or falling, or flowing along) from the brazier-mace...

Yeah, the disparity in the two sides of the tabard is too much. I usually have to do my cloth stuff two or three times to get it where I want. The waist will be taken care of once I figure what to do with the big belt buckle area.

As for the mace, it's not a brazier, but rather a nasty chemical weapon delivery system. :D

I'll take that as a huge compliment, Arkhan, thanks. :)

I wish my interest wasn't so flightly and I could finish a lot of these side projects I start, but I'm going to put a lot of effort into getting this Dusk Raiders thing going. I really liked the Crimson Sons idea and the story I have for them, but I just kept running into issues of one kind or another on that project and I'm not feeling the same thing with these guys. I believe with my modeling skills and their cool paint scheme, I can make a really nice looking army.

Yesterday I managed to get a little work done between the xmas family lunch and a late showing of Star Wars (first time, woot).

http://i.imgur.com/5py95gc.png

I guess the crisp sternguard type of tabard is how this is gonna go. It made sense to me, as these guys are ditching their Death Guard trappings and going back to their original colors and somewhat blinged out armor.

Now, what to do what that big open space on the abdominal and chest armor?

He definitely needed something to fill up that blank space between the legs, but I'm not feeling the tabard. Any reason why you chose that over some leather straps or a different type of half tabard? Honestly, why not go with something completely different, like mail or more medieval in design? Only my opinion, though. I'm sure you're working on a distinct aesthetic for these guys.

I've tried to do chainmail and not only is it not fun, I suck at it. I should probably make an effort to get better at it sometime. Even though I believe I did a good job emulating the GW style... you're right, it's too 'meh' and he could use something more interesting. My original idea was for it to be a bunch of chains, but I worried it might look too traitor-y or chaotic. I'll think of something.

One thought I had would be to revert back to the old school rank markings for the legionnaries.

According to the HH books, helm stripes for rank markings came into being when Mortarian took over the legion.

Death GUard

Why not use the RT rank markings?

Imperial Fist Sergeant

Such as the sergeants mark on this IF terminator from HH3?

Besides that I would suggest unification markings, or maybe some homebrew campaign marks pre-Mortarian. Anything Mortarian onwards would be erased or defaced.

The HH books says unidentified Dusk Raiders, so it would presume the armour is blank barring old legion colours & symbol…

I am assuming that most if not all the Dusk Raiders are Terran veterans? Or is it a mix of new recruits following their esteemed elders (who do not have the bitterness of the Barbarusan veterans and have had minimal exposure to Mortarians  influence)and Terran veterans who remain loyal to their Emperor and the old ideals.

Dantay - yeah, the majority of these guys will be Terran veterans with a handful of Barbarusan (is that the right term?) legionnaires. Since I'm still in the stages of planning out how to model these guys, I haven't put too much thought into markings yet.

I bring another update... third time's the charm with a balteus?

http://i.imgur.com/1sbQqdD.png

I unintentionally made him taller when I filled in the waist area and added the belt. Oops.

I kind of feel that he doesn't need so many leather strips on his balteus, maybe just have the 4. I don't think making him taller is an issue, but you might need to add some babies or something for the waist cos he looks a bit thin imo.

I agree with Hydra as well. The thing this model needs most is some babies. Possibly to add additional bulk.

:D He's looking awesome, man. Can't wait to see paint on him.

What are you thinking for attaching the shield to his arm? 

Babies? Wha? I don't even...

Um, the balteus is staying how it is at 6 straps. The fewer and wider the straps are, the more they would bunch up against each other whilst walking, which is why I went this way with them. I will lengthen the left arm some as the converted right arm is longer than a normal Cat arm is. To attach the shield, I'll probably do something similar to my other praetor with a simple handle made of brass rod.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

I'm at a loss Kage, what are these "babies" everyone keeps referring to for you to bulk your terminator with? As for the model itself he's looking really cool. The pose along with the mace reminds me of the FW Horus mini except in direct opposition.

I'm at a loss Kage, what are these "babies" everyone keeps referring to for you to bulk your terminator with? As for the model itself he's looking really cool. The pose along with the mace reminds me of the FW Horus mini except in direct opposition.

That's my fault, I meant to to type cables but my phone changed it to babies for some reason, and I didn't pick up on it.

Not sure about babies, but some cables might do the trick indeed. ;)

Love the model. The balteus really looks too wide for mu taste. I get what you're saying about four clotting together when he'd be walking, and thinning them out to make a thinner balteus of six is not an option due to material constraints, so perhaps going for visual effect is more important than realism in this instance?