XIV Dragoon, VII Grand Company, IV Legion (13Jun2015)

Hyaenidae

on topic - why not meet up in bighty? we have Scots, Irish, Welch and everyone else - plus the best beer in the world biggrin.png

Deal. I'll be bringing my own whiskey, though. Some heartwarming Tennessee JD Single Barrel, for you poor souls who don't know what real whiskey's supposed to taste like.

Now, all of you stop distracting me with bad women and good whiskey, I got some models to paint.

Dantioch?... Please tell me that's a joke.

Love the story Heathens, I think you've really found your own personal writing style and its killer. I see a few errors here and there but it looks like you're really finding your own way.

The only major niggle I have to make is when your sergeant is referred to as a 'non-commissioned officer' I know this is a term used for sergeants in the military, but the Astartes don't don't have commissions. So I think this really falls out of place, or at least to me.

Sorry man, not sure how I missed this.

First, yeah, the errors are kinda bad. Embarrassing enough, I don't have MS Word, and type all my stories on Wordpad, which doesn't have spellcheck. *shrug*

Second, a 'Commission' is simply authority to perform certain actions and functions, given from a higher command. Thus, "Non-Commissioned", loosely translated, is authority given by a lower command, to perform unit level actions. Literally, a sub-officer. While the officers, such as my Captain or his Lieutenants, are planning and managing the larger battle, it is the NCO's, the Sergeants and Corporals, who focus on their line, and drive their men. If a Captain was forced to do both, especially at the scale of 30k battlefields, even a transhuman would run themselves ragged.

Non-Commissioning, in short, is simply a delegation of authority on a small scale. I think it works just fine.

I believe his criticism wasn't of the intent behind the word, which you define pretty nicely, but on its over all use with Marines in 30k/40k, virtually nowhere. It draws the reader out of the story, like if it was a colonel, a general, an MP.

However, there is overlap in most areas (Captains, Sergeanta, Commanders, so forth) so it isn't all that bad. The rest of it draws you right back in quick enough anyways.

Actually my criticism was towards the meaning behind it, which I must confess I seemed to have the wrong idea. My understanding of the term Commissioned Officers and such was that it referred towards their level of training aswell as their paygrade. Being that rank within the Commissioned Officers requires a college degree or special Officer's training, this showed both that they were of a higher educational level aswell as getting a higher pay grade. I suppose I had this wrong the, in which case I do apologize. Please proceed.

Noctus, for the Modern-day military, you're exactly right as to the requirements for a commission.

But the original meaning was as Heathen's put it, that that a king/ruler/higher authority gave you a "commission" to perform certain actions and functions (generally including the raising and commanding of a body of troops)

Then the Non-Commissioned Officers were those people to whom the Commissioned officer delegated certain duties and authority by giving them a position (aka office ) but whose position was not "commissioned" by the king.

Noctus, for the Modern-day military, you're exactly right as to the requirements for a commission.

Yes and no. I received my commission from the Queen (by post, not like literally from her hand tongue.png) when I finished my training and gained my substantive rank in the Royal Navy, so the practice of receiving your authority as a commissioned officer from the monarch, albeit with delegated executive authority to the Government of the day, still exists in the UK.

Well, I think there's some references in Supernatural, though I can't think of any off hand, so perhaps the Missing Primarch Dean Winchester took over a Legion that had gained a Monty Python existence already.

Or we can just say Wile E. Coyote and his Legion was just all about comedy, subtle or otherwise. There's a picture of a Salamander artwork where the mouth grille is flipped upside down so it looks like he's smiling. My google-fu is weak, sadly.

Heh that would be interesting.

Iirc, the BT codex had some lol.

You know? The one before they were best friends with psykers? and had power armor on their power armor?

Holy hand grenade of Antioch

Heh that would be interesting.

Iirc, the BT codex had some lol.

You know? The one before they were best friends with psykers? and had power armor on their power armor?

Holy hand grenade of Antioch

Thy'll shalt not count to 4....

Archived