Magic Man's Marines Errant; Its a kind of Magic! PG9

MagicMan

Wow, looks great! I might have to *ahem* requisition your blue and silver scheme for my own marines. I think this looks better than the blue and white scheme and it means my veterans can wear white helmets.

Question: do you use GW paints or another brand? I've heard complaints about the GW metalics but yours look nice.

Cheers guys!

@Atlas, Sure just PM me anytime and i can tell you the recipe.

And i use GW paints. smile.png Alot of them are older ones, though. I tried Vallejo, but they always looked too shiny, and i never varnish my models so it annoyed me. (Most people Matte Varnish their models after painting to protect the paintjobs, and dull shininess.)

So i got Ulixis finished! Apologies for the slew of pictures, but the model has some cool details to be seen from different angles. Next ill be finishing up Valen's Tactical squad. smile.png

Veteran Sergeant Ulixis is a living paragon of the Marines Errant. His arms and armour are vaunted relics of the Chapter, as much as they are his weapons in Mankind's great conflict. Ulixis has displayed ferocity and tactical acumen to rival any of his peers, particularly on the killing fields of Phornax XII. Ulixis and his Squad of Veterans deployed by drop pod into the heart of the numberless Necron army, destroying the Necron Monolith command vehicle. With his brothers lost in the fires of explosions and the resultant Necron counter-attack, Ulixis forged ahead to slay a Necron Lord in combat and consigned his bodyguard to the mud of Phornax XII; never to rise again.

Ulixis was present in the Badab war, where his expertise in boarding actions were key to many Loyalist victories. He still holds a grudge against Captain Anton Narvaez for withdrawing the Marines Errant from the main fighting, wishing to have been one of those to deliver the deathblow to the traitor forces.

gallery_58164_8865_54041.jpg

Question: do you use GW paints or another brand? I've heard complaints about the GW metalics but yours look nice.

That's interesting actually. I've only ever heard good things about GW metallics (and I hear that a lot of people prefer other companies for non-metallics).

gallery_58164_8865_94492.jpg

Also, I can't believe I haven't commented before now, but your lads are awesome. And I'm not usually a fan of halved or quartered schemes!

• 1 month later...

Cheers guys! Appreciate the encouragement!

Despite pledging regular updates, I knew that life (as usual) would find a way to drag me from my precious hobby desk. And it did, but i have managed to grab some time for the coolest doomed Chapter in town.

Ive been painting some faces recently, i have this idea in my head that since the ME have no homeworld and travel around kicking ass and chewing gum, that they recruit from multiple warzones/worlds etc. With previous Chapters, i've tended to paint their skin all fairly similarily, but this time i'm trying to break out a load of different skin tones/cultures.

This guy has a body from a Marine i made earlier (I haven't glued alot of the heads on yet. My hobby desk is a Night Lord's dream, lots of detached heads/helmets rolling around) but i think the skin tone worked pretty well.

gallery_58164_8865_358447.jpg

Hopefully these three will be finished fairly sharpish! Theres some cool (I think) little details ill show you when they're done.

gallery_58164_8865_433816.jpg

Thats all i've got for now! Hopefully something a bit more substantial soon!

Very nice Marines Errant as usual. I especially love the skin tone on the bare headed Marine happy.png

The Face is AWESOME!!!! has to be one of the best I've seen.

Second that. The only thing I've ever seen surpass that is Victoria Lamb's Norm Deddog years ago - in terms of skin tone...

Loving the marines errant. Your making me really want to tackle some, but then again you are making it look ridiculously easy!

If I could give one little comment, the red is great, but in my opinion could do with a little touch darker tone. Perhaps a darker wash might do it?

Bit other than that, absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see some more of those sergeants, the Sterngard bits look fantastic when used sparingly like that!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the comments. smile.png

I was pretty happy with the skin tone, but its definitely not the best! Haha. Thanks though.

@MasterBuilder, you mean the red on the purity seals? Or the helmets? (I've ditched the red sergeant helmets because its easie.. Um, because Imperial Armour books told me too. msn-wink.gif )

So i finished off these guys! Pretty happy with them, especially the Plasma Gun. Its given me an idea for re-doing my Power Weapons.

I'm also working on a campaign badge, and mixing some Rogue Trader badges in, but i'll be doing that later on when i have more guys suited and booted. Seven Tacticals done so far... Lol

Anyways, here they are!

gallery_58164_8865_49723.jpg

gallery_58164_8865_87705.jpg

Heres a better shot of the Plasma Glow! Looks dangerous.

gallery_58164_8865_73645.jpg

And heres a few of the cooler details i wanted to show you.

• Despite excelling in boarding actions, and the use of Melta weapons, the Marines Errant have begun trading in their breaching weapons for Marine killing Plasma rifles. As they engage the Red Corsairs in a bloody ground war, the ancient Plasma rifles have proved their stopping power over and over. This marines backpack incorporates a sacred relic of the chapter, hoping to avoid any weapon malfunction through faith in his Chapter.

• This marine carries a secondary communications relay upon his backpack. With the Red Corsairs having looted the Chapter Fortress of Vilamus, many chapter communication methods have been deemed unreliable, and so two seperate means of communication are maintained at all times. Any contradictory information is immediately scrutinised for any hint of subterfuge.

• This Marine proudly displays four Corsair kill markings upon his bolter, during the current campaign. That many Corsairs have been created with the Geneseed of the Marine Errant's heroes and ancestors, is not a fact lost on the surviving members of the chapter.

gallery_58164_8865_23050.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edit: Took the flash out of the second picture! Much better....

So yeah, MagicMan will be painting my Sons of Medusa ;) :p

I really like these guys, the little personal bits really make them pop and man, that plasma gun is looking awesome. What is the process for getting it to pop like that? 

Archived