Greggles Crusade: Vow Complete! Our High Marshall! 7/30/14

greggles

It's fair to say that your batreps are lovely. Great photos, good detail. Can get a little confusing with so much precision (I don't know a lot of enemy units etc that well), but it's useful as a way to learn from tactical decisions and successes against certain characters and the like. Keep up the heretic slaying!

Thanks Guys!

Brother Mattias,

Do you have any suggestions on improving the bat reps?  I'm working on getting an overhead shot of the board, so it'll be easier to track the movements.  I thought about taking photos at each phase, but its already a 3 hour process to catagorize, edit, and post all that stuff lol.  Can see why people move to video style bat reps pretty quickly.

I am open to any and all suggestions, as we play regularly, and I love me some bat reps, so want to share with the community as much as possible!

Reinhard,

The mat is from frontline gaming.  Everything else has been slowly built up.  I'm on the east coast (maryland) and begging for this winter to end so I can prime some of those buildings and get some dry brushing on them.  I also might have to break my ETL and paint my stormtalon soon...it's itching to joint its brother in the sky and blow up some scythes.

Not really any suggestions, and too many photos would probably make it too long. I think you have a nice balance with getting shots of the good bits! I find I usually forget to do the photos when I get caught up playing ;) I often skimp on the detail about numbers/rolls etc to try and keep the pace going, or to tell a good story. But I sense your batreps have a further aim, as your extra detail allows for more analysis, so it is almost a training-tool! I will consider that for my next one. Sometimes you know where you went wrong in a battle, other times it is useful to see another option.

Excellent report!

I like your format because:

1. Descriptions are succinct and to the point. Since you're not doing a narrative, this is very beneficial.

2. Pictures are very clear and just the right amount. The additional line work on the photos is also helpful.

Really, the batrep was well done and very informative. I also think you did the right thing, focusing on the really bright colored stuff early on so that your Templars wouldn't be blinded. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback.  Really appreciate it.  Have 40k weekends for the next two weekends, so should see a bat rep almost every week.  So all the feedback helps improve it.

I picked up a cheap point and shoot to try and improve the board shots a bit.  Will see how it goes.  (Detail shots are a Nikon D5300 with 35mm F1.8 prime)

Reinhard,

It's gigantic.  I'll get you exact dimensions this evening. It would work "AS" the knights base more then decoration.  (ie, you just put the knight right directly on it).

However in the honoured imperium box, there is a little extra bit of kit, that is kinda of out of place.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD69gs-qLNOifyIldWdtXV_fFM2WfOCPljTOrVh4gNEUnu_tVv

Almost like they had a bit of space on the sprue.  It's the top of one of the shrines on rubble.  I think that piece would work well for a knights base, angled a bit.  (It's what I'm currently planning on using as well!).

Brother Reinhard,

I hope these images suffice for your scaling purposes!

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/templars/aquila1.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/templars/aquila2.jpg

Greggles, I have 2 questions regarding the honoured imperium box (I ordered one for myself, but 6 weeks later I haven't gotten the dang thing) if you don't mind fielding them (spoilered so I dont clog up your thread unnecessarily):

What is the length of the broken window bit compared to a dreadnought base?

What is the height of the statue compared to a stormraven/storm talon flying stand?

The patina you achieved on the statue is really nice, as was your picture filled battle report.

Hey Chaplain! Thanks so much! Here are some photos that I hope will answer your question. I can get you more later, but about to start a DND session!

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/size1.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/size2.jpg

Chaplain,

It's 4th edition, which has some issues, but we started the campaign with it, so hey, gonna finish it.  I play a dwarf fighter.  My friends yelled at me "that's so generic".  So the fighters name is Gene.

Considering I basically tank everything for a whole group of squishys, everybody likes the dwarf.

Brothers! I bring news from the front! One of ancient referred brothers has felled another foul daemon monstrosity! This past weekend he has felled yet another daemon walker (two exploded now in close combat) and is deserving of new honors. Does anyone have suggestions?

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/warhammer/slayerofdemons.jpg

In this last instance, he bravely stood fast as the daemon walker charged through rubble to break the allied lines. The daemon sought victory and to break the unit moving the relic to safety. He received a one way trip back to the warp, courtesy of the seismic hammer! (photo staged for reenactment).

In the same battle, he also slew the lord of change. Making him MVP, and bringing the win home for the templars. (no bat rep, sorry guys!).

Actually going back through battle reports.

List of honors.

Warlords killed

Necron Overlord

Lord of Change

Daemon Prince

First blood (twice)

Has killed every daemon walker he has faced in close combat, while sustaining no injuries from said combat.

Does he have a name? If not you should give him a name. I do that for my regular guys who do something epic. If he does have a name you could grace him with an honorific like "Ancient". (There was a really cool dread in the HH series named Ancient Rylanor msn-wink.gif )

Also great work on the painting, while the red is not something I would have chosen you paint well!

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm going through 40k history to come up with a suitable name for him.

Here are my changes based on feedback.

1) Fluff will be added.
2) He will be upgraded fully. A champion deserves the best wargear.
3) He will receive additional purity seals and tabards. (from ven dread kit)
4) He will receive a trophy of his defeated foes (daemon head), and possibly a base modification.
5) I will go back over him, and put additional highlights to make him stand out more (I usually just do a single highlight).

Progress will be shared with my brothers!

For the fluff, I was thinking....

On the battle barge

Chaplain Puriel finished his blessing of war on his fellow brothers, and prepared for the coming battle. Though none could see it behind his battle etched helmet, he was disappointed. A unit of daemons and dark eldar xenos scum were waging war on the world below, and no champion had stepped forward. Rumors of a greater daemon persisted in the scouts reports, and though he knew they would be victorious, he felt as if something was amiss.

"The emperor guides and protects" he chanted as he walked to the contemplation chamber. Perhaps he had missed some sign. He lowered his head and poured back over his litanies. Prayer in the chamber would bring him solace, surrounded by the relics of the chapter, and the black sword of the champion. As he stepped into the chamber, he raised his eyes to the reliquary. It was open. As he stepped forward to reach for the missing black sword, warning klaxons sounded throughout the ship.

On the Surface
Arios, Master of the Forge, smashed his fist against the Land Raider Redeemer "Unforgiven." Everything was wrong. His terminators had fallen, caught in the crossfire between xenos eldar scum, and the daemons of the warp. The scouts had stopped reporting, their last communicate garbled in a battle with the daemon Fateweaver himself. Ancient Maalik in his ironclad had exploded due to the piercing strike of lances from the webway now pulsing troops upon the planet. Legendary Sariel, entombed in the body of another ironclad had become unresponsive. Walking back and forth, unable to choose a target, but constantly deflecting shots fired at him. It was hopeless. The land raider shook as a giant daemon walker took aim, but the holy armor held. Arios decided that time was of the essence, if he was going to recover the armor and sarcophagus of his fallen brothers. He tried to contact the barge, but received only laughter in response. "Foul Daemons. You will be purged!" he cursed.

He turned the Redeemer to flame a group of wyches attempting to assault as he cursed the xenos scum. All his screens suddenly went black and he was forced to climb out the top hatch to survey the battle field. What he saw next would be recorded in the annuals of Templar history.

The sky was awash in warpflames. Purples and reds, twisted and sick. The bodies of his brothers were being picked apart by foul daemons, sickening him. A smoking crater was all that was left of the great Maalik, and scattered sniper rifles told the tale of the neophytes last stand. Besides himself, only Sariel stood steadfast, awash in flames, seemingly silent to the foul twisted world around him. Arios realized then that this battle was lost, and only hoped the battle in space would fare well, and these heretics and warp spawn would pay for every atrocity a thousand fold.

Another lance flashed past the land raider. Arios closed his eyes and remembered his time as a neophyte, recalling one of his prayers.

"Lead us from death to victory, from falsehood to truth.
Lead us from despair to hope, from faith to slaughter.
Lead us to His strength and an eternity of war.
Let His wrath fill our hearts.
Death, war, and blood;
in vengeance serve the Emperor and the name of Dorn!"

He didn't realize he was broadcasting the prayer through the land raiders speakers, nor that he had spoken it aloud. He knew that there was only silence, as if time had stopped. He opened his eyes to a bright light and turned his head. Ancient Sariel was awash in a golden light pouring from the flames covering his metal body.

In the mighty ironclads claws was the form of fateweaver, torn in half, his wicked and heretical plans destroyed, as he dissolved into nothing.

He watched as Sariel, wrapped in golden flames, proceeded to drive the daemons back dissolving their very essence with his touch. The mighty ironclad moved with unnatural speed, beyond the dreams of anyone on mars. Sariel leap and smashed through bodies of daemons to stand by his fallen brothers protecting their gene seed, and the relics of the chapter. He stood steadfast against waves of daemons, smashing apart a giant daemon engine as it tried to defile them.

Arios was snapped out of his awe at the events occurring by the screens and communication arrays screaming back into life on the land raider. Reinforcements were incoming his brother exclaimed, as he heard the telltale sound of thunderhawks roaring overhead, and drop pods slamming into the ground. Soon the battle was over as the dark eldar retreated, their intentions never known, while the daemons dissolved back into the warp.

On the Battle Barge After the Battle

Chaplain Puriel listened intently to the events explained by Arios. This would be only the first of their conversations, as he had to ensure that Arios was not tainted by his exposure to the daemonic threat. Nothing could be confirmed in Arios's story. All recorders and communication were blacked out during the events, and Ancient Sariel was silent when the reinforcements arrived. Puriel let Sarios The Master of the Forge go, making a note to keep an eye on him. Puriel returned once again to the contemplation chamber to reflect on the day's events...suddenly remembering the missing black sword. But as he ran into the chamber, he noticed the reliquary was fully intact, with the black sword resting inside.   There was something different about the sword however.  Puriel looked upon the obsidian hilt where the name "Sariel" was now inscribed.

Mmm, love me some good Templar fluff.  Like your plan with the dreadnought, they really deserve some more love especially one so mighty as yours!  

I would name him Sariel Foe-Hammer, but I'm sure whatever you decide will be worthy of his greatness!

Our crusade is eternal brother. 

I introduce to you all, Sariel Foe-Hammer. Champion Dreadnought of my Chapter.

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/templars/foehammer/ironclad1.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/templars/foehammer/ironclad2.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/templars/foehammer/ironclad3.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/templars/foehammer/ironclad4.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/templars/foehammer/ironclad5.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/templars/foehammer/ironclad6.jpg

Covered him in purity seals. Went over the entire model again with 2nd and 3rd highlights. Redid most of the metallics (multiple layers and washes now. Pimped him out some with some hunter killers. Attempted to do some script on the tabards. Fixed his toes.

Working on getting a suitable black sword to pierce though the skulls of his fallen enemies, and into the perfect raised stone behind his base. smile.png Hope you like him! He definitely stands out SOOOO much more now. Of course now this means I gotta slowly re-highlight my entire army!

Archived